ADVERTISEMENT

Vince Tyra press conference today..

Tyra thanked Padgett and wished him well but it was time to go in a different direction. He said he will offer David help in advancing his coaching career.

Said David will always be a Card that will be welcome and celebrated both as a former player and coach.

Tyra said he talked with the team to try to answer any questions they had. Said they were interested in the time line of getting a new coach.

He said there was much interest in the HC job and that we are an elite program that is looking for an elite coach. We might have a new one in 7-10 days or later.

Last edited:
Tyra wished Padgett well but it was time to go in a different direction.

He said there was much interest in the HC job and we might have a new one in 7-10 days or later.
Time to go in a different direction is code for we want more, or we're going to do less?

With this guy, I just don't know yet. I am very skeptical of the BOT and Tyra. I have no choice but to take a wait and see approach.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Tyra wished Padgett well but it was time to go in a different direction.

He said there was much interest in the HC job and we might have a new one in 7-10 days or later.
"Different direction" seems kind of a dumb thing for Tyra to say. Padgett is leaving not because of a different direction but because we are going to replace an interim coach with a permanent one. He should just say we are thankful that David came in and helped the program in a difficult time and we all appreciate it. Going in a different direction makes it sound like he is being fired for failing which I don't think is the case. I hope Tyra is not the douche some are painting him to be.

Time to go in a different direction is code for we want more, or we're going to do less?

With this guy, I just don't know yet. I am very skeptical of the BOT and Tyra. I have no choice but to take a wait and see approach.
Geez If saying we are an elite program and we going tot get an elite coach is not enough for some of you guys. What the hell do yall expect? People their is no more coach K's,Pitino's,Roys ,Boeheims,Selfs out their anymore. Donavan and Stevens and Wright are not coming here period! Other than Mack and a few others no coach is in the class of any of the above not getting mentioned. Good lord

Reactions: Chapman123
"Different direction" seems kind of a dumb thing for Tyra to say. Padgett is leaving not because of a different direction but because we are going to replace an interim coach with a permanent one. He should just say we are thankful that David came in and helped the program in a difficult time and we all appreciate it. Going in a different direction makes it sound like he is being fired for failing which I don't think is the case. I hope Tyra is not the douche some are painting him to be.
Diffrent direction means not a steeping stone as he stated we need a season coach to compete quickly.

Reactions: Chapman123
Different direction seems a poor choice of words and if there is any truth that Tyra already talked to Mack and the players heard about it before they played against MSU makes me wonder if we do have the right people in place.

No. Those terms are almost standard language when someone is being fired for being a failure but they don't want to say it. It was stupid of him to say it.
Yall guys are just looking for anything to bash Tyra plain and simple David is a good guy but this program deserves an elite coach with experience . And Tyra making the big boy play and doing as he should get us the best possible canidate and not just freakin settling.

If i was Tyra I would have waited to have that press conference. I would have waited until I could have came out and said, " I am officially the new AD, I have extended Jeff's contract and I have hired Chris Mack". That would have been hard core awesome.

What about the dip shit that raised his hand and said," have you thought about hiring a black coach"? Where do people get off asking shit like that? Could imagine someone asking, are we hiring a white coach ? Jesus man. You hire the most qualified . Wtf

David is a good guy but this program deserves an elite coach with experience.
Just answer one question please.

Why don’t we deserve an ELITE EXPERIENCED Athletic Director?

Why are we “settling” for VT? Great guy. Great fan. But NOT an elite anything.

But you’re asking us to accept and support him.....but not DP. And I also think DP was not ready but neither is VT.

Just explain your logic as related to both men

Jesus man. You hire the most qualified . Wtf

Some seem too think VT isn't doing that by going in a different direction! SMH just can't please everybody

C’mon man.

An AD with VTs vast experience would know what not to say about a guy who bailed him out.

Wouldn’t he?

;););)
He should have enough tact and common sense to choose his words more wisely. I have not been critical of him but that was bad. Being in that position means you have to understand the importance of language.

Last edited:
Just answer one question please.

Why don’t we deserve an ELITE EXPERIENCED Athletic Director?

Why are we “settling” for VT? Great guy. Great fan. But NOT an elite anything.

But you’re asking us to accept and support him.....but not DP. And I also think DP was not ready but neither is VT.

Just explain your logic as related to both men
LOL give me a list of elite AD"s ? Who the hell cares about the AD so i guess you follow 247 AD recruiting blogs love to see one .

Yall guys are just looking for anything to bash Tyra plain and simple David is a good guy but this program deserves an elite coach with experience . And Tyra making the big boy play and doing as he should get us the best possible canidate and not just freakin settling.
You are clearly not understanding the issue. Of course we want an elite coach but Tyra sounds like he is firing a fast food worker.

LOL give me a list of elite AD"s ? Who the hell cares about the AD so i guess you follow 247 AD recruiting blogs love to see one .
Remarks like this remind me of how much worse life could be than ending up with Vince Tyra as AD.

I guess I should be more thankful... :p

You are clearly not understanding the issue. Of course we want an elite coach but Tyra sounds like he is firing a fast food worker.
Padgett will be alright .and i'm sure in a much better situation than any of us on a message board crying about some useless words that were not liked by some fans behind a keyboard

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I’ll accept this as “Because I said so”

DP didn’t show much from a bad situation, and has tons more experience than VT

Neither has VT. And when/if he hires a HBBC we won’t know how that works for at least a couple years.

So I’ll remain skeptical of our OJT AD.

Geez If saying we are an elite program and we going tot get an elite coach is not enough for some of you guys. What the hell do yall expect? People their is no more coach K's,Pitino's,Roys ,Boeheims,Selfs out their anymore. Donavan and Stevens and Wright are not coming here period! Other than Mack and a few others no coach is in the class of any of the above not getting mentioned. Good lord
That's just it, I don't know WHAT to expect from Tyra or the BOT. I don't like how any of this went down, and I am very skeptical about the agenda Tyra and the BOT has in store.

I'll take the wait and see approach.

I'm just curious, 1-2 years from now when everything is back to "normal" are some still going to complain and theorize or is everyone just going to move the heck on.

I'm just curious, 1-2 years from now when everything is back to "normal" are some still going to complain and theorize or is everyone just going to move the heck on.
I'm just curious if you're on this message board 1-2 years from now...

A lot has to happen before things are back to normal. With the takeover of our program we lost a lot of donations. Tyra is going to have to go out and raise millions of dollars to make up for the loss. That will be the real test if he can raise massive amounts of money and keep the school growing.

A lot has to happen before things are back to normal. With the takeover of our program we lost a lot of donations. Tyra is going to have to go out and raise millions of dollars to make up for the loss. That will be the real test if he can raise massive amounts of money and keep the school growing.
Tyra's gonna have to prove that he and U of L deserve for that money to return. IMO all the jawboning in the world ain't gonna matter, and some amount of money that used to be flowing will never return.

The U of L "managers" have been way too casual with nonoperating sources of revenue, assuming that it would follow U of L and whoever is in charge. That's nowhere close to the truth.

The longer Mack languishes with fifth or seventh place ACC finishes, the more easily people who used to contribute will make the decision not to permanent. In my estimation, most of his support comes from the younger part of our fanbase. And in the next few years, that's not where most of the money is. Ten years out, younger people will be older and wealthier. But neither Mack nor Tyra have the luxury of waiting that long...

Reactions: brookstreet
Pretty sure we will have moved on by then.

And I'm hoping' as hard as I can that we've moved in the right direction.

It's just funny to me that some people are ok with their Accountant rebuilding their transmission and expecting it to work right. Or, to be PC, their transmission guy doing their taxes, or their Appendectomy.

Again, I'm hopin' for the best for U of L.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT