ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas Projects us at 7-5 next year

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Based off the posted odds Vegas has 5 of our opponents with better odds than us (Bama, Clemson, FSU, Wake, NC St). We got 200-1 odds which puts up roughly ranked around 40th.

Bama and Clemson are the top 2 favorites.

One good thing is that we get FSU, Wake and NC st at home.

That’s a fair line on the win total. Most knowledgeable bettors would be hesitant to bet a lot of money that we go 6-6 or worse and the same bettors would also be hesitant to bet a bunch that we go 8-4 or better against that schedule.

Just the way Vegas oddsmakers want it to be. It’s the old ‘gun to your head, how would you bet’? You have trouble deciding because they got the early line right. Doesn’t mean that we go 7-5. Just means they have the line correct at this time.

I predicted 7-5 for 2017 and was pretty close. There are even more unknowns going into 2018 but probably a tougher schedule. I think we might struggle to win 7 games unless there is some really good talent coming up I am not aware of. I think we could have a more balanced and effective offense depending on how good Pass is. Defense is full of holes. The issue is who fills them.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Perrino ii performing just a little better than Stoops as a P5 head coach. If we go 7-5 or worst he has not rebuilt us after a 5 year chance. So, let's get Jeff Brohm and let him have a chance at the rebuild.

Perrino ii performing just a little better than Stoops as a P5 head coach. If we go 7-5 or worst he has not rebuilt us after a 5 year chance. So, let's get Jeff Brohm and let him have a chance at the rebuild.

Just for reference. Stoops is competing in the worst P5 division in football while Petrino is competing in the top 1 or 2 division. The SEC East has been historically bad the past 5 years.

This is overblown. UK hasn’t sniffed 9 wins since stoops took over. Petrino has underperformed, but expecting us to be where Clemson is and FSU was is too lofty at this point.

Stoops is 26-36 . Petrino is 34-18 not even close.

My concern with Petrino is that going into his 5th season, he arguably now has less over all talent in the program than what he inherited from Strong. And he is recruiting as an ACC program and not one in a depleted Big East. He has not been bad enough to justify firing but I was expecting much more.

Based off the posted odds Vegas has 5 of our opponents with better odds than us (Bama, Clemson, FSU, Wake, NC St). We got 200-1 odds which puts up roughly ranked around 40th.

Bama and Clemson are the top 2 favorites.

One good thing is that we get FSU, Wake and NC st at home.

Do you have a link? I'd like to check all that out.

My concern with Petrino is that going into his 5th season, he arguably now has less over all talent in the program than what he inherited from Strong. And he is recruiting as an ACC program and not one in a depleted Big East. He has not been bad enough to justify firing but I was expecting much more.
j Petrino just signed the highest ranked class in school history.

j Petrino just signed the highest ranked class in school history.

Yes and that is great but to be honest it means nothing right now. How many will make it here? How many will pan out? There have been so many personnel issues that seem to take forever to do anything about. I don't blame Petrino that Strong left him a walk on freshman center, but instead of recruiting a quality center, 3 years later we had the same walk on center and he was just not very good and that is such a key position. If Petrino is finally stepping up recruiting, I am ecstatic, but this involves more than just signing a class. It's year 5. We should have much more talent and depth by now. This year we probably had the slowest defense I have seen here in a long time.

Per Rivals, the five recruiting classes that Petrino has signed (incl. this year's to-date) have averaged 32nd nationally and 2.93 stars. Strong's four classes here averaged 43rd and 3.00 stars. On average, Petrino has signed three more kids per class than Strong. I don't see that as a big difference either way...

Reactions: Guardman
Per Rivals, the five recruiting classes that Petrino has signed (incl. this year's to-date) have averaged 32nd nationally and 2.93 stars. Strong's four classes here averaged 43rd and 3.00 stars. On average, Petrino has signed three more kids per class than Strong. I don't see that as a big difference either way...
Yep. The only difference is positions.

With CS we bitched about the offense, and with CBP we bitch about the defense.

7-5 and we bitch about both.:D

I think there are two key differences. One is, stepping up to the ACC the football coach should be able to recruit at a higher level than in a Big East that was falling apart. And two, Strong pulled a lot of talent out of south Florida, where I think many 3 star players would be 4 or even 5 star players in other areas of the country. A 30th ranked class with tons of guys from Dade and Broward is going to be better than some top 20 classes.

I think there are two key differences. One is, stepping up to the ACC the football coach should be able to recruit at a higher level than in a Big East that was falling apart. And two, Strong pulled a lot of talent out of south Florida, where I think many 3 star players would be 4 or even 5 star players in other areas of the country. A 30th ranked class with tons of guys from Dade and Broward is going to be better than some top 20 classes.
I can't speak to your second (regional) point... But the first one about the "step up" in recruiting has not historically been the case for similar teams, at least not in the short run. I've looked at teams like Pitt, WVU, and TCU after their moves to P5 conferences, and that "step" doesn't happen right away if at all...

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT