ADVERTISEMENT

VanGorder and Petrino

GoldCard

Three-Star Poster
Jun 13, 2001
There is way too much negativity in the other thread about this hire. I can see how some are underwhelmed, because I am myself. But there are some things to consider that I am optimistic about.

1) He has worked with Bobby before and he’s fired up to be at UofL. Getting fired from Notre Dame had as much to do with not being on the same page with BK as anything else. If VanGorder and Bobby are on the same page with philosophy, game prep, and strategy, then that’s half the battle.

2) Switching back to 4-3. Unless we are going to keep a steady influx of huge, athletic NTs coming in, we can’t keep running a 3-4. This transition should be good.

3) While I agree with some of the criticisms, VanGorder doesn’t have to be Bud Foster or Brent Venables. If UofL can have a defense on par with what was on the field 2004-06, then we can compete for ACC titles. Cassady was an underwhelming hire at the time IIRC, but he and Bobby worked well together.

I agree 1000 percent. In fact, the fan negativity is something I started a thread about several weeks ago. This board has been insanely negative since the late-season tailspin in 2016. It continued with our subpar season in 2017 coupled with the loss of Jurich. I can understand being disappointed in any and all of these things but the overriding negativity is frankly obnoxious. If these are the worst times we have to endure as a football program we're pretty damn lucky.

Van Gorder is a solid coach who will be a sharp upgrade from Sirmon. This guy has been associated with big boy football his entire career.

I will wait until I see his 2018 season stats, thet will answer all.

I'm not sure it will answer all, but we should see an improvement in the numbers. We should also a defense that knows how to line up and one that plays fast and physical. We do those things and I can live with a few mistakes.

Reactions: wilkie01
I'm not sure it will answer all, but we should see an improvement in the numbers. We should also a defense that knows how to line up and one that plays fast and physical. We do those things and I can live with a few mistakes.

But a few mistakes per games in a season will not win you a championship. Unlike basketball, a few mistakes per game will ruin your season in football. Normally you only get 3 to 6 chances to score in most football games against teams with solid defenses (i.e: Alabama, Clemson),

But a few mistakes per games in a season will not win you a championship. Unlike basketball, a few mistakes per game will ruin your season in football. Normally you only get 3 to 6 chances to score in most football games against teams with solid defenses (i.e: Alabama, Clemson),

I'm with you, but next year isn't going to be any championship year unless I'm pleasantly surprised. Gotta temper the expectations a tad.

I'll say one thing for sure about the hire...it got us a phone call from a local Top 200, 4 star DB we had no chance at. He might not be, or could be, a better hire than Grantham but Grantham was a lazy, horrible recruiter. The man was infamous for coaching DL's and we played with undersized DL's last year because he din't bring anyone but a few transfers and Drew Bailey in. Bailey was a good one. Johnny was a CCS recruit. But seriously, ONE? Not to mention, Florida recruiting will be fine because a huge coaching star in Miami says Grady Brown has top notch recruits "gravitate to him." Go BVG, Coach Grady, thanks to Coach Ward for not quitting on Marlon Character and getting him here. Our talent is getting much better, inexperienced but talented.

PS..overly negative fans are a sign of the times. Darn shame they didn't start going to games like I did in 1984 when we were getting beat by 30 by EKU on a regualr basis with maybe 10,000 people there. We've come a long way with a NC almost in sight.

PS..overly negative fans are a sign of the times. Darn shame they didn't start going to games like I did in 1984 when we were getting beat by 30 by EKU on a regualr basis with maybe 10,000 people there. We've come a long way with a NC almost in sight.

My experience doesn't extend that far back, but I sat in plenty of cold bleacher seats at Old Cardinal Stadium watching us get whipped by the Tulsa's and Southern Mississippi's of the world.

People today have no clue what "bad times" are. The Cooper and Krags years we at least had some D1 talent.

We started in '84 during Weber's last year, and my nephew was on the team.

Then Schnelly came in, and everybody was giddy in anticipation. But, you'll remember 2-9, 3-8, then 3-7-1

My brother, and business partner, said we should quit pouring money in this hole, but I said we should. That I could see much improvement even though we weren't winning.

The next year we were 8-3, with wins over UNC, UVA, and Va Tech,and two years later won the Fiesta Bowl.

The rest is history.

I do not want to see us fall back, or "settle" for participation money. That's a page from uk FB. I will quit 'pouring money in this hole" if the Admins quit trying to be all we can be.

We NEED a permanent Prez, and we need them yesterday.

I have been a fan since 1971 and a season ticket holder since 1976.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollem Cards
Darn shame they didn't start going to games like I did in 1984 when we were getting beat by 30 by EKU on a regualr basis with maybe 10,000 people there.

I was actually at that game (I was 9). Got in for free with a coupon on a wrapper of a fundraiser candy bar (Wilkerson Elementary Wildcats - represent!). Yes, a LOOOOOONG way the program has come and I don't take it a bit for granted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollem Cards
There is way too much negativity in the other thread about this hire. I can see how some are underwhelmed, because I am myself. But there are some things to consider that I am optimistic about.

1) He has worked with Bobby before and he’s fired up to be at UofL. Getting fired from Notre Dame had as much to do with not being on the same page with BK as anything else. If VanGorder and Bobby are on the same page with philosophy, game prep, and strategy, then that’s half the battle.

2) Switching back to 4-3. Unless we are going to keep a steady influx of huge, athletic NTs coming in, we can’t keep running a 3-4. This transition should be good.

3) While I agree with some of the criticisms, VanGorder doesn’t have to be Bud Foster or Brent Venables. If UofL can have a defense on par with what was on the field 2004-06, then we can compete for ACC titles. Cassady was an underwhelming hire at the time IIRC, but he and Bobby worked well together.
Cassidy was a terrible DC. Remember his cover 2 that allowed Uk to score on a hail mary in Brian Brohm's last year.

Cassidy was a terrible DC. Remember his cover 2 that allowed Uk to score on a hail mary in Brian Brohm's last year.

That’s my whole point. The play you’re referring to took place after Bobby left, but Cassidy stayed on with Krag. We had playmaking defenses under Cassidy for 3 years, but all of a sudden couldn’t stop anybody after Bobby left.

We really don't know how good this hire actually is but at least we know the two will work together. I was kind of surprised Petrino didn't hire him last year and I still find it strange with how things played out. I specifically remember when Van Gorder lost his job, Petrino mentioned a good friend lost his job today in a press conference. When his name came up this time it made sense to me.

With assistant coaches I would say it is really difficult to find assistants that are 100% behind the head coach. I think Petrino has ran into that especially on the defensive side of the ball. There was too much turnover in the staff under Grantham plus he was a terrible recruiter. I think they have found a nice mix. Quality guys with really good experience at the SEC level with good young recruiters.

If this group is in sync with Petrino then they have the makeup to be an excellent staff. The other thing I love these guys aren't going anywhere. They either have strong ties to Petrino or they are getting another shot at this level.

You guys who journeyed to ND got a close up look at Coach VanGorder's defense. The problem was over three quarter of the defensive starters were injured and didn't play. Here's a condensed video of ND's smashing Michigan with a healthy defense. After the Navy game the injury bug killed the defense side of the ball. North Carolina used the spread offense effectively against that healthy defense. Most teams copied that same formula. Coach Van Gorder was Coach Kelly's first DC at Grand Valley.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT