ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy's Kevin Stallings to Pitt

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
Per CBS Sports, I guess he wanted to coach in a real basketball conference!

He knew one more mediocre season at Vandy and he was history. I think Stallings is a good coach, but if I am a Pitt Alumnus/Fan I am not happy with this hire. This may signal in the eyes of up and coming Coaches like Archie Miller that Pitt is not that attractive. It would be interesting to find out who all they approached.

Yeah, but you cannot deny that he's going from a conference that doesn't give a big rat's @$$ about basketball to one that absolutely loves basketball. The $ec has never cared about basketball and never will. So much reality for all those incredible games that uahkay has won in basketball playing the likes of their $ec so called rivals. If uahkay really cared about basketball and being competitive in football they'd be making major moves to the ACC. Oh wait a minute, they'd actually have to play a real schedule sooooooo I guess that ain't happenin'. Plus the "annual welfare check" would come to an abrupt halt.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: zipp and WKCard
Meh. That's how I feel about this hire for Pitt. If I was a Pitt fan I don't think I'd be too hyped about hiring Stallings either, but he'll get a shot in a real basketball conference.

Would have made more sense to me to grab Miller, Mack, or Marshall IMO. Stallings has 2 sweet 16 and a 138-142 SEC record.

Would have made more sense to me to grab Miller, Mack, or Marshall IMO. Stallings has 2 sweet 16 and a 138-142 SEC record.
MAY be unfair judging a basketball coach in the SEC or just about any coach at a school like Vandy. A big part of the success of U of L coaches is how much support they get from Jurich. Not that Pitt basketball is moving way up the food chain, but it's a damn sight better than Vandy and the SEC. Let's see what the guy does the next couple years before branding him a loser...

Meh. That's how I feel about this hire for Pitt. If I was a Pitt fan I don't think I'd be too hyped about hiring Stallings either, but he'll get a shot in a real basketball conference.

Is a conference not a direct reflection of the coaches that coach within it? The SEC is a garbage conference. Now, you're putting one of the coaches from said garbage conference on an ACC team. And you're acting like BET HE'S EXCITED ABOUT COACHING IN A REAL CONFRENCE!!

But he's terrible. Vandy should have cut ties. They're probably ecstatic to be getting rid of him without having to pay any buyout. Terrible move by Pitt.

Is a conference not a direct reflection of the coaches that coach within it? The SEC is a garbage conference. Now, you're putting one of the coaches from said garbage conference on an ACC team. And you're acting like BET HE'S EXCITED ABOUT COACHING IN A REAL CONFRENCE!!

But he's terrible. Vandy should have cut ties. They're probably ecstatic to be getting rid of him without having to pay any buyout. Terrible move by Pitt.

Whoa try the decaf next time, man.

MAY be unfair judging a basketball coach in the SEC or just about any coach at a school like Vandy. A big part of the success of U of L coaches is how much support they get from Jurich. Not that Pitt basketball is moving way up the food chain, but it's a damn sight better than Vandy and the SEC. Let's see what the guy does the next couple years before branding him a loser...

I'm not branding him a loser he's done that to himself.

Reactions: JohnKBA

Won't say it is a terrible move by Pitt but one that makes me question their commitment to BB. Especially since they didn't get a sniff from Archie Miller. Exchanging one coach who left a year before the posse got there (Dixon) for one who did the same thing at his former school (Stallings) shows that moderate success is good enough at Pitt.

What a head scratcher of a hire this is. Was in the car for a few hours today and the Pitt callers were totally upset about it. Stallings openly wept into a towel after winning the 2012 SEC tournament. That's the apex of his career. Maybe they thought Stallings was the best they could do, but if that's the case, it shows how lowly regarded the Pitt job is in coaching circles. Pretty much signifies that Pitt is committed to being mediocre at basketball.

I don't think you can just grab any of the three just b/c of conference affiliation. Mack is going nowhere soon. A hometown kid in a great conference who enjoys much more support than Mick across town. Marshall will eventually leave WSU, but only for the right situation. Miller will soon leave UD, but he's picking his spot.

I don't think you can just grab any of the three just b/c of conference affiliation. Mack is going nowhere soon. A hometown kid in a great conference who enjoys much more support than Mick across town. Marshall will eventually leave WSU, but only for the right situation. Miller will soon leave UD, but he's picking his spot.

The Big East is a good conference and Mack might stay there forever. I would just figured that if Pitt was serious about basketball they would have threw some money out there and tried to go big. Maybe they did and Stallings was the best they could get.

Won't say it is a terrible move by Pitt but one that makes me question their commitment to BB. Especially since they didn't get a sniff from Archie Miller. Exchanging one coach who left a year before the posse got there (Dixon) for one who did the same thing at his former school (Stallings) shows that moderate success is good enough at Pitt.

It's not a good move.

Dixon was there what, 13 years? They made the tournament 11 times.
Now you get Stalling who made it 7/17 years at Vandy.

You guys blast the SEC as a weak conference. Now, he's stepping up to play Duke, UNC, UVA, U of L, Syracuse, etc.

You're right--there is no clear commitment to basketball. Ok, you can't get Sean Miller...but Stallings is the next option? C'mon.

I'd be outraged if I were a Pitt fan.

It's not a good move.

Dixon was there what, 13 years? They made the tournament 11 times.
Now you get Stalling who made it 7/17 years at Vandy.

You guys blast the SEC as a weak conference. Now, he's stepping up to play Duke, UNC, UVA, U of L, Syracuse, etc.

You're right--there is no clear commitment to basketball. Ok, you can't get Sean Miller...but Stallings is the next option? C'mon.

I'd be outraged if I were a Pitt fan.
Never said it was a good move. It just reflects the overall situation at Pitt in regards to their BB program. The Miller I was referring to is Sean younger brother Archie. Given Sean's situation at Arizona, there is no way he would take the Pitt job at this time, alma mater or not. Archie is biding his time in a good situation at Dayton until something more feasible comes along.

As far as Stallings is concerned, it is a big paycheck for a few years instead of taking a step back coaching in the MVC or someplace where he is more suited. I feel sorry for the Pitt fans. Neither your fans or ours would put up with that crap. Mediocrity and occasional success is not an option.

Never said it was a good move. It just reflects the overall situation at Pitt in regards to their BB program. The Miller I was referring to is Sean younger brother Archie. Given Sean's situation at Arizona, there is no way he would take the Pitt job at this time, alma mater or not. Archie is biding his time in a good situation at Dayton until something more feasible comes along.

As far as Stallings is concerned, it is a big paycheck for a few years instead of taking a step back coaching in the MVC or someplace where he is more suited. I feel sorry for the Pitt fans. Neither your fans or ours would put up with that crap. Mediocrity and occasional success is not an option.

My two cents. Many Card fans, myself included, point out UK's feasting on $EC competition as a reason for their high W-L percentage. A good coach should be able to do the same, ala Billy Donovan. Stallings couldn't. 'Nuff said IMO.

Reactions: cardsfan53
My two cents. Many Card fans, myself included, point out UK's feasting on $EC competition as a reason for their high W-L percentage. A good coach should be able to do the same, ala Billy Donovan. Stallings couldn't. 'Nuff said IMO.

Excalty!! If you can't muster a winning record in the SEC your not a very good coach point blank period.

Last edited:
Stallings had a better coaching record at Vandy than Van Breda Kolff and the venerable C.M. Newton.

His record was only sl. worse than Eddie Fogler's, but the latter was only there for four years, and he bolted immediately after going 28-6 in his final year. Stallings went 26-8 one year, and won 25 and 24 games previously. If he made a mistake, it's that he stuck around after those seasons.

Put a decent coach in a poor coaching situation and watch the results. I doubt they're any better than Stallings...

Which is still far superior to you Hop.

Was the "hop" reference to me Bill?

I am retired from posting Bill, I only lurk now. If by some strange way, you think the Jay poster is the mighty Hopgood -we are not one in the same I can assure you of that. Jay has his own brand, though he does appear to enjoy yelling at you.

I was a little rough on you Bill but my memories of you are all positive. Hope you feel the same way.

My 2 cents on this topic.

latest

And they lost by 20 in the first round of the NCAA tournament to a 13 seed Siena team.

I just can't see his record at Pitt being any better than what he had at Vandy IMO.

I am retired from posting Bill, I only lurk now. If by some strange way, you think the Jay poster is the mighty Hopgood -we are not one in the same I can assure you of that. Jay has his own brand, though he does appear to enjoy yelling at you.

I was a little rough on you Bill but my memories of you are all positive. Hope you feel the same way.

Was wondering where you've been, Hop. You're really not posting anymore?

Pitt's AD said they want a coach to get to the F4 and Stallings is the guy. LOL because AD needs a "search firm" and he's a former D-1hoops player! My sons go to Pitt and I really feel bad for them, but thank goodness they love the Cards!

Rough, lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT