ADVERTISEMENT

UVA And The ACC

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
UVA goes down to 13 seed Ohio. Got blown out against 16 seed UMBC in 2018. In fact, except for a couple of years they always lose to a lower seeded team in the NCAAT under Bennett.

Why does the ACC have so much trouble with Virginia?

Reactions: Morgantown Card
ACC teams psych themselves out over the pack line defense while these mid majors in the tournament don't. They're not supposed to be competitive in the first place so they play loose.

I think the only game Louisville played loose against Virginia was last season when Nwora and McMahon were jacking 3's. This year they went back to dribbling around until the shot clock expires.

ACC teams play right into Virginia's hands trying to solve the pack line defense when they should just play loose and fast.

Bennett got out-coached; never adjusted to Ohio strategy to neutralize the huge UVA size advantage. Ohio out rebounded the much taller Cavs (38-29) by forcing Huff and Hauser to move out of the paint when following the Ohio bigs when setting up screens for their guards.

Huff and Hauser went a combined 2-14 shooting threes; that along with the disparity in rebounding explains the unusually bad performance for UVA. If Huff and Hauser had shot anywhere close to that against UL, the outcome would have been much different. Bennett is a great coach, but he is quite stubborn, and refused to adjust his defensive scheme despite watching Ohio run the same play over and over again that gave their guard isolated drives to the basket with Huff and Hauser outside the paint.

Reactions: shadow force
I picked Ohio because of Covid. Ohio has a legit NBA player that knows how to play. Then they have big could shoot and pass. The most underrated part of a big mans game is there ability to pass out of the post. It opens up everything with a offense. Padgett/Deing both were willing and great passers out of post.

Virginia defense forces 2 things
1) Ball movement by passing.
2) Shot makers

What is the one thing these mid major teams do, out of necessity, pass and shoot it. These teams don’t have the size to deal with the big boys so they run their stuff really well.

In the tournament they can get burned but so can everyone.

Great basketball analysis, guys.

So basically, UVAs system is tailor made to compete consistently at or near the top of the ACC but is very vulnerable against mid major systems/styles. Hence them losing to UMBC in that debacle and, besides their title year, losing early to lower seeds. Even in their title year they didn't pull away from their 16 seed until quite late in the game.

I also agree that fellow ACC teams do psyche themselves out to a degree against UVA. Bennetts system is good in many aspects but also has glaring faults in NCAAT situations most years.

Virginia has been UofL's Kryptonite since forever. I like the fast and loose play suggestion. Can't hurt. UofL can't beat them no matter what. (Yes I know the Cards have won 3 or 4 games)

Hauser and Huff couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn and they weren’t able to practice for a whole week because of COVID. That’s why they lost.

I'm sure that had something to do with it, but UVA is very prone to losing to lower seeded teams even though they do well in conference play. Like getting blown out by 16 seed UMBC when they were a 1 seed in 2018.

I'm sure that had something to do with it, but UVA is very prone to losing to lower seeded teams even though they do well in conference play. Like getting blown out by 16 seed UMBC when they were a 1 seed in 2018.
That’s ok. I’ll remember the NC as I’m sure they will. If this year’s tournament didn’t prove it, nothing will. Cinderella lives every year. It’s what separates March Madness from anything else.

I think Bennett does well in the ACC because he is familiar with his opponents. Once he is in the tournament he is not as familiar and he doesn’t improvise. The year they won the title he had a great team this year he had a good team but it was missing pieces to make a deep run.

I think you could have more than one Cinderella this because of Covid and because the selection committee really sucked on the pairings.

UVA goes down to 13 seed Ohio. Got blown out against 16 seed UMBC in 2018. In fact, except for a couple of years they always lose to a lower seeded team in the NCAAT under Bennett.

Why does the ACC have so much trouble with Virginia?

I only follow them passively, but I'm an Ohio University alum. Pretty sweet win over the reigning national champion, plus I can't stand UVA so it's a double-win. Ohio had a S16 run a few years ago, there's some tradition there.

I only follow them passively, but I'm an Ohio University alum. Pretty sweet win over the reigning national champion, plus I can't stand UVA so it's a double-win. Ohio had a S16 run a few years ago, there's some tradition there.

Ohio U alum. How did you end up there? I was born and raised in that area. It has been the only tourney game I have really gotten into. That OU team is fun to watch and loved watching UVA get whooped.

Ohio U alum. How did you end up there? I was born and raised in that area. It has been the only tourney game I have really gotten into. That OU team is fun to watch and loved watching UVA get whooped.

When CSX Transportation closed their Louisville shop (coincidently it was located exactly where PJCS is located today), we moved to southern Ohio. I was a teenager at that point and being a Louisville fan wasn't going to change, and in fact it just engrained it in me further. So anyway, I managed to earn a full academic scholarship for the first two years and a partial one for the back two, so to Athens Ohio I went.

Reactions: gocds and PHCARD
When CSX Transportation closed their Louisville shop (coincidently it was located exactly where PJCS is located today), we moved to southern Ohio. I was a teenager at that point and being a Louisville fan wasn't going to change, and in fact it just engrained it in me further. So anyway, I managed to earn a full academic scholarship for the first two years and a partial one for the back two, so to Athens Ohio I went.

I was born in Nelsonville and lived throughout that region including Athens. So you stayed close by ending up in Morgantown. When we made that first away football game to Morgantown, the drive through that area brought back a ton of childhood memories. Go Ohio U!!!!

Bennett got out-coached; never adjusted to Ohio strategy to neutralize the huge UVA size advantage. Ohio out rebounded the much taller Cavs (38-29) by forcing Huff and Hauser to move out of the paint when following the Ohio bigs when setting up screens for their guards.

Huff and Hauser went a combined 2-14 shooting threes; that along with the disparity in rebounding explains the unusually bad performance for UVA. If Huff and Hauser had shot anywhere close to that against UL, the outcome would have been much different. Bennett is a great coach, but he is quite stubborn, and refused to adjust his defensive scheme despite watching Ohio run the same play over and over again that gave their guard isolated drives to the basket with Huff and Hauser outside the paint.

Hopefully our coaches learned something about how to play UVA.👌👍😀

GO CARDS!!!

The ACC has been BAD the last 2 years and it kills me that we couldn't take advantage.

I was born in Nelsonville and lived throughout that region including Athens. So you stayed close by ending up in Morgantown. When we made that first away football game to Morgantown, the drive through that area brought back a ton of childhood memories. Go Ohio U!!!!

Oh yeah, Nelsonville. That area is gorgeous and was probably a fun place to grow up. I know the route you are talking about because after OU I lived in Cincinnati for 11 years, and my buddy in Louisville drop up to Cincy, then straight east on Route 32/50 through Athens on our way to Morgantown for a wedding. Not an ideal place to speed, lol.

The ACC has been BAD the last 2 years and it kills me that we couldn't take advantage.

The 'Murican Twaylve was better than the ACC this year. The Big East was better than the ACC this year. I understand why the need to leap to the ACC, but being in the ACC has NOT improved either the football program or the basketball program at all. The same can be said for the other programs that left the Big East for the ACC. Think about it. Pittsburgh is a joke now. Other than money/"stature", being in the ACC hasn't done crap for anyone who has joined it. It hasn't even improved television coverage from Louisville's point of view. When in teh BE/Murican Twaylve, it was very very rare for me to not watch the game as an out of market fan. I have missed several since joining the ACC.

The 'Murican Twaylve was better than the ACC this year. The Big East was better than the ACC this year. I understand why the need to leap to the ACC, but being in the ACC has NOT improved either the football program or the basketball program at all. The same can be said for the other programs that left the Big East for the ACC. Think about it. Pittsburgh is a joke now. Other than money/"stature", being in the ACC hasn't done crap for anyone who has joined it. It hasn't even improved television coverage from Louisville's point of view. When in teh BE/Murican Twaylve, it was very very rare for me to not watch the game as an out of market fan. I have missed several since joining the ACC.
There is a point to that with the BE.

BE was an easier conference to dominate in football and we could have an easier path to a BCS bowl. We'd look a lot better and be ranked. And the BE did not really hurt us in recruiting either. The BE Basketball was just so much fun and we fit so well with all the other "city schools"

Not to mention losing the Cincy, Memphis, & WVU games off our schedule just took away a lot of historic rivalries. The Cuse, Pitt, & UConn games had a bigger feel as a BE game. Miami would be a natural rivalry, but they are not the same program as they were 20 years ago. I don't feel connected to Wake Forrest, BC, Miami, GT, etc. games in conference play for basketball.

But from a MONEY perspective, the ACC puts us on another level and a more comfortable place long term as a power program. It's not been good for our product or intriguing games, but it had to be done sadly as the BE AAC just was not stable.

There is a point to that with the BE.

BE was an easier conference to dominate in football and we could have an easier path to a BCS bowl. We'd look a lot better and be ranked. And the BE did not really hurt us in recruiting either. The BE Basketball was just so much fun and we fit so well with all the other "city schools"

Not to mention losing the Cincy, Memphis, & WVU games off our schedule just took away a lot of historic rivalries. The Cuse, Pitt, & UConn games had a bigger feel as a BE game. Miami would be a natural rivalry, but they are not the same program as they were 20 years ago. I don't feel connected to Wake Forrest, BC, Miami, GT, etc. games in conference play for basketball.

But from a MONEY perspective, the ACC puts us on another level and a more comfortable place long term as a power program. It's not been good for our product or intriguing games, but it had to be done sadly as the BE AAC just was not stable.

Money AND prestige is far better in the ACC without any doubt. Our move to the ACC is the single most important thing to happen to Uuniversity of Louisville athletics ever, EVER. And the same might be said about academics.

GO CARDS!!!

Oh yeah, Nelsonville. That area is gorgeous and was probably a fun place to grow up. I know the route you are talking about because after OU I lived in Cincinnati for 11 years, and my buddy in Louisville drop up to Cincy, then straight east on Route 32/50 through Athens on our way to Morgantown for a wedding. Not an ideal place to speed, lol.
My daughter went to Ohio. Athens is one of the most classic college towns I’ve ever been to. In the fall it is beautiful. If you ever get a chance take in a football game there. The band at halftime makes the trip worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT