ADVERTISEMENT

USF fires Charlie Strong

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ng-after-4-8-mark-in-third-season-with-bulls/

Just three seasons into his tenure at South Florida, coach Charlie Strong has been fired, a team source confirms to CBS Sports. This following a difficult year in which the Bulls finished 4-8 overall and 2-6 in AAC play. Strong's firing was first reported by USA Today's Dan Wolken.

It has been all downhill for Strong and the Bulls since he joined the team in 2017. After posting an impressive 10-2, USF finished 7-6 in 2018. This is the second straight season with a significant reduction in the team's record as the Bulls failed to become bowl-eligible for the first time since 2014.

in some ways it's similar to pintino leaving uk in that he had everything right in front of him but wanted more. i bet charlie wishes he could turn that clock back

Reactions: American Male
in some ways it's similar to pintino leaving uk in that he had everything right in front of him but wanted more. i bet charlie wishes he could turn that clock back

They all do.
Coach Schnellenberger, John L, Strong, brohm.

Except for Coach Howard, screw the rest of them.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
These guys have the egos the size of Texas. Get it?

I think Strong is probably focused on the future with his agent, and nothing in the past.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ng-after-4-8-mark-in-third-season-with-bulls/

Just three seasons into his tenure at South Florida, coach Charlie Strong has been fired, a team source confirms to CBS Sports. This following a difficult year in which the Bulls finished 4-8 overall and 2-6 in AAC play. Strong's firing was first reported by USA Today's Dan Wolken.

It has been all downhill for Strong and the Bulls since he joined the team in 2017. After posting an impressive 10-2, USF finished 7-6 in 2018. This is the second straight season with a significant reduction in the team's record as the Bulls failed to become bowl-eligible for the first time since 2014.
He must be feeling quite BLUE!

It’s kind of like a love a coach when he wins, but run him out when he loses.

We loved Charlie because he won and were mad he left, we hated HWSNBN because he lost and were happy to watch him leave.

Bobby took us to our greatest heights ever with the Orange Bowl and getting Lamar to come play here, but when he wasn’t good enough we were ready to toss him aside, rightfully so. Denny Crum is the #1 reason for our success in the modern era, but he wasn’t cutting it at the end and we didn’t show him loyalty. We hired Rick and made the right move.

I mean we shouldn’t expect loyalty in a business. Charlie was hired to rebuild our program and get us competing nationally again. He got us a BCS bowl win and put us in a position to move to the ACC. He left a roster that had multiple NFL starters and draft picks. He did his job and left the program way better than he found it.

If Charlie would’ve lost, we wouldn’t have been shown loyalty, we would’ve gotten rid of him. He got offered an elite job with a chance to win a national title, he took it. He didn’t owe us anything.

I’ll always be as happy as a Ky fan at a family reunion with what Strong did here, but I won’t shed a tear for him getting fired at another school. Either Texas or USF. He made his choices.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I’ll always be as happy as a Ky fan at a family reunion with what Strong did here, but I won’t shed a tear for him getting fired at another school. Either Texas or USF. He made his choices.
And that’s the perfect attitude. It’s a business. He did good for us, but what he did after us doesn’t matter.

Happy what he did here, won’t actively cheer against him, but won’t care if he fails.

I am not sure Charlie appreciated the job at Louisville as much as he should of and he probably regrets it sometimes. I get why he took the Texas job but the writing was on the wall before he even started. Too many big boosters never wanted him at Texas. At USF he didn’t have the budget to hire the right assistant coaches. I think he comes back at some point as a DC and does a heck of job for some school.

I am not sure Charlie appreciated the job at Louisville as much as he should of and he probably regrets it sometimes. I get why he took the Texas job but the writing was on the wall before he even started. Too many big boosters never wanted him at Texas. At USF he didn’t have the budget to hire the right assistant coaches. I think he comes back at some point as a DC and does a heck of job for some school.
Urban can get the band back together with Addazio and him. He just needs to be where he can recruit and coach defense, maybe not manage a program. I don’t think his personality fits as a program ambassador.

USF was probably not the best place for him. Texas and The Vill he had the budget for a good staff and didn’t have to do too much. Texas has EVERYTHING as far as resources. We had Tom that could take all the heat and manage certain things.

I agree with this. Not that you need my approval LOL but nice post!

USF was probably not the best place for him.

When Charlie was hired at USF, I thought he would turn that program into a destroyer of worlds at that level. At home in Florida, near his recruiting base, bending over big-racked cougars and winning football games, getting into a NY6 Bowl once in a while. In other words, I thought he'd continue what he was doing at Louisville. Turns out I was wrong. Maybe he lost his fire after being humbled at Texas (which was a horrible fit from the beginning).

When Charlie was hired at USF, I thought he would turn that program into a destroyer of worlds at that level. At home in Florida, near his recruiting base, bending over big-racked cougars and winning football games, getting into a NY6 Bowl once in a while. In other words, I thought he'd continue what he was doing at Louisville. Turns out I was wrong. Maybe he lost his fire after being humbled at Texas (which was a horrible fit from the beginning).
The fire at Louisville was to prove he belonged. All those years of being passed over ate at him. At UofL we were his first chance. Then Texas was a dream job scenario. Once he reached that he lost his fire.

Got the big money and once he was fired from Texas, he knew he’d never get a chance like that again. He was rich and made it to the top, not much motivation left.

Similar to Bobby 2.0 Every job to him was a stepping stone to “the big job”. Once he lost Arkansas (and the money that went with it), he just needed one shot to get back. We gave him the money a chance back at he top. After 4 decent years, no one came calling. Tennessee was desperate for a coach and they didn’t sniff him. He no longer had anything to chase. He had a big payday waiting no matter what happened, he gave up.

Reactions: CommodoreCard

I think this shows how good of a program UofL is. The past couple years have been a little thin compared to the past decade. I think Coach Satterfield will have you all where you all need to be sooner than you think. This year was a huge accomplishment given the expectations.

The fire at Louisville was to prove he belonged. All those years of being passed over ate at him. At UofL we were his first chance. Then Texas was a dream job scenario. Once he reached that he lost his fire.

Got the big money and once he was fired from Texas, he knew he’d never get a chance like that again. He was rich and made it to the top, not much motivation left.

Similar to Bobby 2.0 Every job to him was a stepping stone to “the big job”. Once he lost Arkansas (and the money that went with it), he just needed one shot to get back. We gave him the money a chance back at he top. After 4 decent years, no one came calling. Tennessee was desperate for a coach and they didn’t sniff him. He no longer had anything to chase. He had a big payday waiting no matter what happened, he gave up.
He was getting big money here. CCS was a top 10 paid coach. But the “Cardinal Curse” gets them all! Good thing Denny Crum was smart enough to avoid that and turned down UCLA. Nobody else- not Howard, not John L, not Charlie, not Bobby (twice) got it. We will see with CSS. He has everything he needs- first class facilities, fine campus and city, P5 conference, numerous NFL alums, including a Super Bowl MVP and a likely league MVP. is it enough? Remember, Scott- the Cardinal Curse !

Reactions: CardsFirst
Coaches have to adapt to sustain success. It's fine to lean on one side of the ball. But there needs to be an ability to open up the playbook to some extent offensively in today's game. Strong's mindset is to let his D win games for him, and it's just hard to sustain success with heavy reliance on that and a primitive offense. You see other solid D coordinators turned HC run into the same problem (Muschcamp).

Reactions: Law007 and Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT