ADVERTISEMENT

Upcoming Football Season

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
I hope everyone is well. I know the primary concern is getting through these next few weeks. None of us know what the future holds but I really think the fall sports season will also be in jeopardy. Schools will have to decide by mid-July if they want to allow students back on campus. There is a general belief that there could be a secondary peak of COVID in the fall. I think it’s very possible we could see a suspension of on-campus activities until a vaccine is widely available. Thoughts?

Reactions: Law007 and gocds
I hope everyone is well. I know the primary concern is getting through these next few weeks. None of us know what the future holds but I really think the fall sports season will also be in jeopardy. Schools will have to decide by mid-July if they want to allow students back on campus. There is a general belief that there could be a secondary peak of COVID in the fall. I think it’s very possible we could see a suspension of on-campus activities until a vaccine is widely available. Thoughts?

I tend to agree with your comments. Job One, as Ford Motor Co. suggest, is a vaccination. I went thru that as a child with polio and as soon as the vaccination (Salk vaccine) became available the disease was pretty much defeated. I got my vaccination at age 11 in the spring of ‘55 as a sugar cube. But I’m not sure there was a family in the USA that didn’t have some type of contact with that terrible disease. We had a family next door that had twin boys and one of them died with polio in 1950 and there were literally thousands that had to spend their lives in a contraption called an Iron Lung. WTH, we had a president that wore braces on his legs because of it. Polio went on for years and years. Let’s hope and pray that coronavirus does not. The other name for Polio was Infantile Paralysis as it affected mostly young people as opposed to corona virus that obviously has a terrible effect on the elderly. But Polio was non selective, i.e., FDR. Thank God for scientists like Jonas Salk.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I don’t even want to think about the worst. One week at a time is all I can handle. It just sucks on all fronts.

Reactions: gocds
I tend to agree with your comments. Job One, as Ford Motor Co. suggest, is a vaccination. I went thru that as a child with polio and as soon as the vaccination (Salk vaccine) became available the disease was pretty much defeated. I got my vaccination at age 11 in the spring of ‘55 as a sugar cube. But I’m not sure there was a family in the USA that didn’t have some type of contact with that terrible disease. We had a family next door that had twin boys and one of them died with polio in 1950 and there were literally thousands that had to spend their lives in a contraption called an Iron Lung. WTH, we had a president that wore braces on his legs because of it. Polio went on for years and years. Let’s hope and pray that coronavirus does not. The other name for Polio was Infantile Paralysis as it affected mostly young people as opposed to corona virus that obviously has a terrible effect on the elderly. But Polio was non selective, i.e., FDR. Thank God for scientists like Jonas Salk.

Polio.

That was a curse from hell. Leg braces, crutches, wheelchairs, and the “Iron Lung”.

A family two doors from us had six boys. Three of them had Polio and used some of the above for life. Many other families we knew were struck by it.

I know I’m going to hell, but for anyone who lived through the time of Polio, this virus should be a walk in the park compared to it.

Polio was pretty much a life sentence.

Polio.

That was a curse from hell. Leg braces, crutches, wheelchairs, and the “Iron Lung”.

A family two doors from us had six boys. Three of them had Polio and used some of the above for life. Many other families we knew were struck by it.

I know I’m going to hell, but for anyone who lived through the time of Polio, this virus should be a walk in the park compared to it.

Polio was pretty much a life sentence.

Yeah, agreed, unless of course, you actually get the virus. :eek::(

I believe many people will re-evaluate their “recreational” spending.

The stage is set for more of these “shutdowns” and people may be less willing tie season ticket type money and donations on the possibility of the season not happening, and whether or not the money is refunded or held for the next “season”

I think it's just as likely that the marketing approaches will have to adapt, along very likely with pricing. The salad days of big time athletics may be changing significantly.

And why would deflation not affect everything?...

Gocds must be about my age as I remember all he says about polio. I had a friend whose sister was in a wheelchair, it was not uncommon to see kids in braces.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
I think it's just as likely that the marketing approaches will have to adapt, along very likely with pricing. The salad days of big time athletics may be changing significantly.

And why would deflation not affect everything?...
It’s quite a pickle, since coaches contracts are multi-year, and bills for finances new facilities and their upkeep will keep coming. I still think football gets played, and by late July-early August we are back to normal, though the economy may be slower to respond. This pandemic is sort of like a forest fire consuming dead wood. Weak, poorly-run businesses will go under, unfortunately.

Gocds must be about my age as I remember all he says about polio. I had a friend whose sister was in a wheelchair, it was not uncommon to see kids in braces.

I had an uncle, whom I of course never met, who died from polio in the mid to late ‘30s. It was a scourge .... and my moms uncle died from yellow fever

There was Spanish Flu, Swine Flu.... several epidemics. It’s actually more of a modern miracle of science that such a pandemic as we are seeing now has such reaction, with the current infection and lethality rate. I’m not making light of the current situation whatsoever, but the generations prior to the Boomers had a guantlet of illnesses they had to survive

Reactions: gocds
There have been some awful diseases through history, and although mankind has found vaccines or cures, those diseases carry a terrible price.

I anticipate that when the numbers go down, there will be a public rush to hit the stores, parks and churches. There is a big possibility for a spike in infection.

There have been some awful diseases through history, and although mankind has found vaccines or cures, those diseases carry a terrible price.

I anticipate that when the numbers go down, there will be a public rush to hit the stores, parks and churches. There is a big possibility for a spike in infection.

I’m believing what you are saying is our 2nd most important danger. I’m not in panic mode, but I’d like to see an educational program to convince all Americans that this is a very real possibility and to take care to avoid a rebirth of this pandemic by being too over optimistic and physically active. I pray that we exercise caution.

Weeks? It's probably more like months Hank. The next couple weeks are going to be very bad they project.

The potential for no college football this upcoming season is very real.

Reactions: zipp and gocds
ADVERTISEMENT