ADVERTISEMENT

UofL Missing on Local Recruits or just not interested?

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
From CJ writer Jon Hale:

When two of the city’s top football prospects released updated lists of colleges they were considering recently there was a similarity.

Kentucky made the cut, but Louisville didn’t.

“I would definitely read into that,” said Chris Vaughn, a former U of L player and founder of Aspirations Fitness, where many of Louisville's top high school football prospects train.

"… Just kind of a bad taste in some of my kids’ mouths just in how they were recruited by (Louisville’s) staff.”

Trinity senior wide receiver Rondale Moore, the state's No. 1 prospect in 2018, according to 247 Sports' composite rankings, didn't have Louisville in a top-six list of Kentucky, Texas, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Ohio State and Penn State. He committed to Texas Sunday.
Trinity junior defensive end Stephen Herron, the state's No. 1 prospect in 2019, didn't include Louisville on a top-10 list with Kentucky, Michigan, Stanford, Ohio State, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas and Alabama.

Waggener senior defensive back Jairus Brents, a four-star recruit and the top 2018 prospect in the state according to Rivals, is expected to release his own top-10 list soon and will likely include Kentucky on it, Vaughn said.

“I think they’re doing a good job,” Vaughn said of Kentucky's staff. “I think they’re coming around showing their face.”

Along those lines, Moore and Herron each cited a lack of recruiting attention from Louisville's coaches.

“Louisville is 10 minutes away and they never even showed up at school," Herron said. "They never did anything. I don’t know if it was just the fact they thought they were so close they didn’t have to work as hard, but whatever it is, UK came up a few times and I went down for the spring game.”

Moore said he never felt a great connection with Louisville.

“For me, my position coach (at Louisville) and I just didn’t have that relationship,” Moore said prior to committing to Texas. “I camped twice, and I just felt like I hadn’t got that respect that I believed I deserved. ... I felt like they just recruited out-of-state guys more than the guys 10 minutes away from their home. That was just kind of disrespectful to me. Louisville was always kind of like a dream school of mine, you’d say, if I had one.”
Kentucky offered Moore, who transferred from New Albany to Trinity before the 2016-17 school year, a scholarship at a camp in June 2016. He participated in a camp at Louisville that month but did not receive an offer from the Cardinals until February.

Louisville was the first school to offer Herron a scholarship in June 2016, but he said contact with the U of L coaches dropped off after former defensive coordinator Todd Grantham left for Mississippi State.

“I feel like Louisville right now is very focused on these Florida boys and these Southern dudes and are not really even giving in-state a look unless you’re a top dog,” Herron said. “Right now, I don’t really understand it, but that was Louisville’s problem: Just the fact that Grantham left and they didn’t really even make an effort to come see me, any contact. ... They never came out to the school. It just seemed like they were recruiting out-of-state dudes better than they were recruiting me and Rondale, two big athletes, 10 minutes away.”

Though the Trinity duo cut U of L, the Cardinals have appeared to make recruiting in Jefferson County and the rest of Kentucky a priority in upcoming classes. In 2019, U of L is known to have made scholarship offers to at least nine in-state players, the most in a single class since Bobby Petrino was rehired as coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew UF87
As far as Moore, he has to know that WR is not a need, and that we're getting very good ones on a regular basis.

I'm no coach, and know nothing about evaluating talent except what my lying eyes tell me.

But... as someone else said, uk has made a point to recruit the state and it got them nowhere. Stoops is hitting OH and other hot spots, and is, grudgingly, getting some results.

It think the local kids have talent, but most of them are getting their ink against very limited talent. They get to college, where they competition is "bigger, faster, and stronger", and they just don't seem to do as well early as kids who play against other good kids through HS. I just think they are more "game ready" than local kids.

Just my 2 cents on local vs out of state talent.

Woe is me....show me the love.....come out and see me...etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. For going to a school that is know for high academic standards. these young men sure display stupid me firsts attitudes.

Likely due to being overpraised and given that entitlement attitude from a young age up to 12th grade. When reality smacks them right between the eyes about where their talent lies compared to other really good FB players from down south....they take offense.:confused:o_O

Well, young men, how about proving them all wrong and doing it at your local, home town college? That is, if you are man enough to acknowledge your shortcomings and overcome them. If the Cards are to show you the love...how about showing them some love too?:rolleyes::cool::D

Last edited:
Rondell Moore is a 5'7" receiver. As posted in another thread on the Premium Board, CBP prefers 6' or better. Moore might be a beast in agility drills and in the weight room but so was another Trinity player from 2008, Tim Phillips. He held many records in Power Lifting and was as tough as can be at the running back spot but didn't fit what UofL was looking for in a running back. He went on to Central Michigan and transferred to Colorado State. UofL did just fine without him.

Reactions: American Male
Woe is me....show me the love.....come out and see me...etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. For going to a school that is know for high academic standards. these young men sure display stupid me firsts attitudes.

Likely due to being overpraised and given that entitlement attitude from a young age up to 12th grade. When reality smacks them right between the eyes about where their talent lies compared to other really good FB players from down south....they take offense.:confused:o_O

Well, young men, how about proving them all wrong and doing it at your local, home town college? That is, if you are man enough to acknowledgement your shortcomings and overcome them. If the Cards are to show you the love...how about showing them some love too?:rolleyes::cool::D
Both players were transfers from southern Indiana.. If I recall correctly, Moore wasn't eligible to play until mid season. As previously stated, he got an offer from UL for a position that they have many current contenders. Herren was a Sophomore and a raw talent. He is tall and relatively fast for a DE, but he was learning all last season and was not as good in my opinion as his post season accolades indicated. That said, he has two years to grow and learn the techniques needed to match his praise.
As stated above, I'm sorry young men need to be stroked so much.

What the Curious Urinal wants is for us to give a offer only to pull it later so they can jab us again. Let's face it it's a gem that comes out of Jefferson County every once in a while. Our bread and butter is the south; FL, GA, AL, etc. UL can't win no matter what we do. So do what's best for us!

I don't follow recruiting religiously, but this just smells like the C-J is spinning a story about Louisville negatively. The real story is that Louisville is getting some recruits away from top schools.

Bottom line, our latest recruiting class ranked arguably the highest in school history.

I agree it is odd that the U.K. football beat writer would be writing an article about UofL football recruiting.

I am a military brat. I played my high school football in Virginia and South Carolina. My son played football at Louisville Male. In my opinion Male, Saint Xavier and Trinity are the three best football programs in the State of Kentucky. However, in most Southeastern States, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, California, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio, there are numerous schools that are their equals are better. Hence Coach Petrino recruits the best talent he can sign. He found better this year. So the CJ, whose Editor is a form UK football player, is taking shoots against UL, whenever he can.

The curious urinal continues it's "attack dog" mentality against UofL at every turn. Unfortunately, at this point, we are giving them a bunch of ammunition. But their day will come and that's a promise. What comes around, goes around. And every dog has their day.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God. Bless America!!!

It is normal to want Louisville to recruit those deemed local superstars. I like seeing them on our roster. However, if winning a National Championship is our end goal, we must recruit the best athletes, that can we sign, regardless of where they live. Case and point, Lamar Jackson versus Reggie Bonnafon, and Jaylen Smith versus James Quick. Now I appreciate the athletic ability of Bonnafon and Quick, and they were both good. However, I also know that both Jackson and Smith had superior talent. So I am satisfied with Coach Bobby Petrino's recruiting.

Last edited:
I wonder if the CJ only employs from the Louisville area? If not, then why aren't replacing "outsiders" with talent in the Louisville area looking for media relations, journalism, etc. gigs? Hmm...

The short answer if of course they hire talent outside of Louisville. I would be extremely surprised if the majority is from Louisville.

Same holds true for all other employers. Same holds true for athletics. Recruit the best without regard to where they come from. As a fan I want to go to big time bowls on an annual basis, couldn't give two sh*ts were the talent comes from.

It is normal to want Louisville to recruit those deemed local superstars. I like seeing them on our roster. However, if winning a National Championship is our end goal, we must recruit the best athletes, that can we sign, regardless of where they live. Case and point, Lamar Jackson versus Reggie Bonnafon, and Jaylen Smith versus James Quick. Now I appreciate the athletic ability of Bonnafon and Quick, and they were both good. However, I also know that both Jackson and Smith had superior talent. So I am satisfied with Coach Bobby Petrino's recruiting.

It is amazing to me that Quick was Top 100 Nationally while Jaylen Smith was a 2*...again Kentucky HS Football as compared to Mississippi HS Football....

I love how we focus our recruiting in the south and particularly Florida. Recruiting well in there areas has been a huge factor in elevating the program to national prominence. I would much rather recruit Florida well than Louisville. As much as hurts to maybe miss out on some local talent, in the end, the current recruiting philosophy will better serve us in the "collision course" with the national championship.

Reactions: wilkie01
The curious urinal continues it's "attack dog" mentality against UofL at every turn. Unfortunately, at this point, we are giving them a bunch of ammunition. But their day will come and that's a promise. What comes around, goes around. And every dog has their day.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God. Bless America!!!
In point of fact, their day has passed.

It is beyond ridiculous that the U.K. beat writer is weighing in on Louisville recruiting.
I assume they are making an attempt to stay relevant to their ever dwindling statewide readership. They " jumped the shark" many years ago but would have remained relevant for a longer period of time had they chosen to be a hometown newspaper.

Quick had/has talent and ability...He LACKS/LACKED Drive!!!

:cool:
He definitely lacked something between the ears. Not sure it's as simple as effort... According to Petrino, he worked as hard in practice as any player.

The problem was evidently more subtle, like concentration and focus. Whatever it was, it was probably conditioned by years of playing against other players where 50% focus was enough. He was too much better than his competition as a kid, and he developed a critical flaw in that regard that could not be overcome.

It's a shame because Quick evidently beat the off-the-field stuff that almost derailed him. He just needs to work now on succeeding outside of football...

From CJ writer Jon Hale:

When two of the city’s top football prospects released updated lists of colleges they were considering recently there was a similarity.

Kentucky made the cut, but Louisville didn’t.

“I would definitely read into that,” said Chris Vaughn, a former U of L player and founder of Aspirations Fitness, where many of Louisville's top high school football prospects train.

"… Just kind of a bad taste in some of my kids’ mouths just in how they were recruited by (Louisville’s) staff.”

Trinity senior wide receiver Rondale Moore, the state's No. 1 prospect in 2018, according to 247 Sports' composite rankings, didn't have Louisville in a top-six list of Kentucky, Texas, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Ohio State and Penn State. He committed to Texas Sunday.
Trinity junior defensive end Stephen Herron, the state's No. 1 prospect in 2019, didn't include Louisville on a top-10 list with Kentucky, Michigan, Stanford, Ohio State, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas and Alabama.

Waggener senior defensive back Jairus Brents, a four-star recruit and the top 2018 prospect in the state according to Rivals, is expected to release his own top-10 list soon and will likely include Kentucky on it, Vaughn said.

“I think they’re doing a good job,” Vaughn said of Kentucky's staff. “I think they’re coming around showing their face.”

Along those lines, Moore and Herron each cited a lack of recruiting attention from Louisville's coaches.

“Louisville is 10 minutes away and they never even showed up at school," Herron said. "They never did anything. I don’t know if it was just the fact they thought they were so close they didn’t have to work as hard, but whatever it is, UK came up a few times and I went down for the spring game.”

Moore said he never felt a great connection with Louisville.

“For me, my position coach (at Louisville) and I just didn’t have that relationship,” Moore said prior to committing to Texas. “I camped twice, and I just felt like I hadn’t got that respect that I believed I deserved. ... I felt like they just recruited out-of-state guys more than the guys 10 minutes away from their home. That was just kind of disrespectful to me. Louisville was always kind of like a dream school of mine, you’d say, if I had one.”
Kentucky offered Moore, who transferred from New Albany to Trinity before the 2016-17 school year, a scholarship at a camp in June 2016. He participated in a camp at Louisville that month but did not receive an offer from the Cardinals until February.

Louisville was the first school to offer Herron a scholarship in June 2016, but he said contact with the U of L coaches dropped off after former defensive coordinator Todd Grantham left for Mississippi State.

“I feel like Louisville right now is very focused on these Florida boys and these Southern dudes and are not really even giving in-state a look unless you’re a top dog,” Herron said. “Right now, I don’t really understand it, but that was Louisville’s problem: Just the fact that Grantham left and they didn’t really even make an effort to come see me, any contact. ... They never came out to the school. It just seemed like they were recruiting out-of-state dudes better than they were recruiting me and Rondale, two big athletes, 10 minutes away.”

Though the Trinity duo cut U of L, the Cardinals have appeared to make recruiting in Jefferson County and the rest of Kentucky a priority in upcoming classes. In 2019, U of L is known to have made scholarship offers to at least nine in-state players, the most in a single class since Bobby Petrino was rehired as coach.

This was a thing with Charlie & Co., too. Deuce, Damarcus, they both whined when UofL didn't go hard for them. I guess if you're local talent, and you think it is your birth right to attend UofL, then UofL thinks otherwise, butthurt ensues.

This was a thing with Charlie & Co., too. Deuce, Damarcus, they both whined when UofL didn't go hard for them. I guess if you're local talent, and you think it is your birth right to attend UofL, then UofL thinks otherwise, butthurt ensues.
UofL dropped deuce when they connected him with a rehab team for his injury and he blew it off multiple times.

This 2018 class is shaping up as one of our best, and despite a few local recruits making verbals elsewhere, those 2018 & 2019 kids have not actually signed anywhere. Given the quality of out of state (FL & GA) recruits making their commitments to this staff, I believe some of these locals may not be as coveted by this staff based on comparison to those coming from the traditional football states.

In fairness to Trinity, they recognized a long time ago as to just how inferior HS football is here in the Commonwealth, and it is a credit to their leadership in scheduling inter-state games in OH., TN., IN., and beyond.

Jefferson County is clearly superior to most of this state; BG Purples being an exception (one large HS enjoying most of the talent in a relatively large county), but compared to south Florida ........... those kids are playing competively year round against much larger numbers of much more talented kids.

UL success has come from establishing FL as its primary source of talent period. There are very few Michael Bush, C Redman or D. Parker talents out there, but we obviously continue getting our share when they pop up.

OK. With the chance of starting a serious local argument...

Since THS has gone national, how many 3 or 4 star kids have they produced, and at what P5 schools are they starring?

There may be 50 of them, I really don't know because I don't follow THS or any kid that doesn't go to UL. But pretty sure we'd have heard about all who "got away".

We know about Quick. Four star IIRC (??) with very limited success here.

And Reggie, who is L1C4 through and through, but has been jacked around positions until he doesn't know which way is up.

Then the LB (White??) who went to tOSU, got kicked out, then got kicked out here.

Now we'er all hoping Burns works out after transferring here because of PT at tOSU.

And I'm not picking on THS. It's just that they've been mentioned several times for picking up the competition, and having more players than the JCPS teams.

Male has sent guys to ND, and WF with success. A COUPLE of times.

Who else is at P5 schools?

So unless there are gems out there that I haven't heard about we absolutely cannot count on Kentucky HS's to build our base when you have some single HS's in FLA producing 3-5 P5 players every YEAR.

I don't like it, but if the Ky kids want to leave, let 'em. They can be recruited over 95% of the time.

OK. With the chance of starting a serious local argument...

Since THS has gone national, how many 3 or 4 star kids have they produced, and at what P5 schools are they starring?

There may be 50 of them, I really don't know because I don't follow THS or any kid that doesn't go to UL. But pretty sure we'd have heard about all who "got away".

We know about Quick. Four star IIRC (??) with very limited success here.

And Reggie, who is L1C4 through and through, but has been jacked around positions until he doesn't know which way is up.

Then the LB (White??) who went to tOSU, got kicked out, then got kicked out here.

Now we'er all hoping Burns works out after transferring here because of PT at tOSU.

And I'm not picking on THS. It's just that they've been mentioned several times for picking up the competition, and having more players than the JCPS teams.

Male has sent guys to ND, and WF with success. A COUPLE of times.

Who else is at P5 schools?

So unless there are gems out there that I haven't heard about we absolutely cannot count on Kentucky HS's to build our base when you have some single HS's in FLA producing 3-5 P5 players every YEAR.

I don't like it, but if the Ky kids want to leave, let 'em. They can be recruited over 95% of the time.
Jordan Whitting. LB from THS went to OSU and transferred back to UofL only to get dismissed from the team during the spring.

Reactions: gocds
Roll'em: just to be clear, my point is not about exalting THS football at all. My point is that even using what has been clearly the most successful HS football team in KY, it must go outside the state to find good competition in order to attract talent during their own recruiting efforts. My point here is an attempt to answer the OP ..............UL's staff is doing what it needs to do; specifically focus outside the Commonwealth for it recruiting efforts. What was true 25 years ago is even more true today ..............3 Star (and even some 2 Star) FL kids are better prepared to contribute than 3 & 4 Star KY kids based on numbers, level of competition and the AAU/Club teams that are playing year round down south.

Roll'em: just to be clear, my point is not about exalting THS football at all. My point is that even using what has been clearly the most successful HS football team in KY, it must go outside the state to find good competition in order to attract talent during their own recruiting efforts. My point here is an attempt to answer the OP ..............UL's staff is doing what it needs to do; specifically focus outside the Commonwealth for it recruiting efforts. What was true 25 years ago is even more true today ..............3 Star (and even some 2 Star) FL kids are better prepared to contribute than 3 & 4 Star KY kids based on numbers, level of competition and the AAU/Club teams that are playing year round down south.
I didn't mean to imply you were promoting. I was agreeing with you, but poorly stated.

If THS, as good as they are and with the schedule they play, can't produce at least 2 or 3 three kids a year good enough for P5, it just shows the place of Ky HS FB when compared to the south.

We don't come close.

However.....when we do produce them I'd like to get them. But if we don't I won't lose sleep.

For YEARS, Can-Suck-Me got 98% of the states 3-5 star recruites...How has that worked out for them!?!?!?

We've taken several 1-2 star state kids as walk-on, that went to the next level...It comes down to the coaches evaluation for state kids, not some HS Site or Recruiting Service!!!

:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT