ADVERTISEMENT

UofL great Wes Unseld has passed away

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
EZgtjKKWoAAF8oq.jpg

Prays and condolences for the Unseld family.

I remember the nightmare of trying to shoot a jump shoot against him when we played Seneca High. I was a guard shooting from 20 ft and he still blocked the shoot.

He is now with the angels.

Reactions: PHCARD
His two hand set passes were extraordinary.
He was the very best at making those passes of any player I've ever seen play then or now. Wes Unseld was a great basketball player and a really good man. The world has lost one of its finest.

Rest in eternal peace Mr. Unseld.

I was a young kid when Unseld was playing his sophomore year and that was when I started going to the games. I remember one game when St. Louis came to town and the Billikens were favored. They had a 7’1” center named Rich Newman and Unseld tore him up. I was reading a sports magazine years ago when Unseld was playing in the NBA.

The article was giving a one sentence description of all the players in the league and they described Unseld as the smartest man in the NBA. He as one of the greatest Cardinal players of all time and he sure left me with some great memories.

Reactions: Cue Card
His two hand set passes were extraordinary.
If you ever saw Unseld play at U of L you would remember that he is likely the best player we ever had. He came to play every time and gave his best effort. If Denny Crum had ever had him on one of his teams, you could have added another NCAA championship or two. He was that good.

He was the very best at making those passes of any player I've ever seen play then or now. Wes Unseld was a great basketball player and a really good man. The world has lost one of its finest.

Rest in eternal peace Mr. Unseld.
Many claim Bill Russell introduced the outlet pass. Wes Unseld perfected it.

I knew of Wes' basketball exploits from about the time I was in the 7th grade, courtesy of a then great newspaper. I never got to see him play until he turned Pro and it was "Damn, he is that good!". Loved seeing him and Elvin together with the Bullets.

I was at the mall sometime in the early 80's when I saw this mountain of a man approaching me. It was Wes going to do a promo for a local sporting goods store. I spoke and we chatted for a moment and we both went our separate paths. I was impressed with his graciousness in taking the time out of his day to chat with me. I have never seen such a large set of hands. They like were like hams. Between those hams, his solid base and his heart, it is no wonder he is still considered an All-Time dominant rebounder.

RIP Big Guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT