ADVERTISEMENT

UL as a "Should Win"?

Why do those blueneck idiots still think that UL is a "should win" for them? What alternate universe do they live in? I saw a post that said the 3 OOC opponents, UL and Vandy are 5 "should wins" every year. Based on what? Hell they've been dominated by Vandy in recent years and since the Titanic sank, we've dominated the series. WTF goes through the minds of those idiots?

I think it's based on the (mistaken) belief that UK is an SEC school with a larger recruiting base (the state of Kentucky versus the city of Louisville). They believe that with those advantages, UK should win the game the large majority of the time.

What they neglect to consider is that UK has a 50+ year history of losing in the SEC, while Louisville has a 27 year history of winning 70% of its games. That momentum is difficult to overcome, and as a result, UofL's recruiting base is actually lot bigger than UK's at this point. We're known as a quality football program throughout the southeast, while UK is known as a basketball school.

Reactions: Mayoman
In this episode of As the Slapd!cks Turn: Slapd!ck State fans once tore down thegoal posts. . . . after a loss.

This is a put up or shut up year for the Mildcats. All those awesome Ohio recruits they have been spouting about should be ready to go! Of course they will tell you after another 5-7 year, that next year will be their year.

The entire country.
Ask a hundred college football followers nationwide--ones not wearing LPT gear!--who the sport's best coaches are, and none will answer Stupes. As evidence, he was a DC at FSU, and his LPT defense hasn't improved a lick from Joker's regime.

Reality is that LPT needs a lot better talent than U of L to consistently compete with Petrino and Grantham...

Ask a hundred college football followers nationwide--ones not wearing LPT gear!--who the sport's best coaches are, and none will answer Stupes. As evidence, he was a DC at FSU, and his LPT defense hasn't improved a lick from Joker's regime.

Reality is that LPT needs a lot better talent than U of L to consistently compete with Petrino and Grantham...

Yes but haven't you heard? They got rid of the terrible players and now the ones who couldn't beat them out are ready to go. Watch out SEC!

The narrative goes like this: Three cupcake OOC games. Beat South Carolina last year, and Spurrier is getting old. Florida is down, coaching change, home. Missouri lost a lot and it's at home. Tennessee is talented but young, at home. Week off before Auburn, Thursday night, CWS, national TV. At Mississippi State is tough, but not impossible. At Georgia probable loss, but who knows. At Vandy, easy win. Louisville, at CWS, no Parker. Easily an eight or nine win season. The big game is either ending the Florida streak or upsetting Auburn on national TV. Louisville, who cares, should always win. That's the narrative.

The narrative goes like this: Three cupcake OOC games. Beat South Carolina last year, and Spurrier is getting old. Florida is down, coaching change, home. Missouri lost a lot and it's at home. Tennessee is talented but young, at home. Week off before Auburn, Thursday night, CWS, national TV. At Mississippi State is tough, but not impossible. At Georgia probable loss, but who knows. At Vandy, easy win. Louisville, at CWS, no Parker. Easily an eight or nine win season. The big game is either ending the Florida streak or upsetting Auburn on national TV. Louisville, who cares, should always win. That's the narrative.
Nailed it!

It's at CWS. How big of an advantage that will be will be determined by how the season is going up until that point.
False. How big of an advantage CWS will be shall be determined by the weather. If it is a sunny day everyone will be blinded by the little league bleacher seating. That could slow down the passing game considerably,

False. How big of an advantage CWS will be shall be determined by the weather. If it is a sunny day everyone will be blinded by the little league bleacher seating. That could slow down the passing game considerably,
Lipstick on a Pig!

Sep. 5 Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns Toss up (Leaning towards a loss)

Sep. 12 at South Carolina Gamecocks LOSS

Sep. 19 Florida Gators LOSS

Sep. 26 Missouri Tigers LOSS

Oct. 3 Eastern Kentucky Colonels Toss UP

Oct. 10 --- Open Date --- --- Toss Up (joke)

Oct. 15 Auburn Tigers LOSS

Oct. 24 at Mississippi State Bulldogs LOSS

Oct. 31 Tennessee Volunteers LOSS

Nov. 7 at Georgia Bulldogs LOSS

Nov. 14 at Vanderbilt Commodores Toss Up (Best of the worst kind of thing)

Nov. 21 Charlotte 49ers Win

Nov. 28 Louisville Cardinals LOSS

One int away from it this year...
You do realize there were still 4+ minutes remaining at that time and Louisville had all its timeouts remaining, don't you? You do realize that the what-if game always works both ways?

What about the Gaines dropped int early in the game that would've likely been a 90+ yd pick 6. That would have been a 10-point turnaround because he would have had a head start the other way, and trust me, he was the fastest guy on the field on that play.

You were also 1 int (Cobb pick 6) away from another double-digit defeat...the third in a row.
You were only two plays away (a dropped punt late in the 2009 game and a busted coverage in the last minute of the 2007 game) from losing 8 straight to Louisville in CWS, and 10 of 12. What-if stuff is silly, and never-ending.

Dropped ints & punts, etc are part of the game. Another way to say it is "bad safety play contributed to your loss."

UK fans look at their schedule all wrong every year thinking in terms of, "What would a halfway decent team do against this schedule?" And that's why they ALWAYS rate games like Georgia, SC, and Missouri as winnable.

Most of the time, any game against someone who's not an obvious National Title contender is deemed winnable this time of year.

Anyone who is down, like Tennessee or Vandy, is seen as winnable or a likely win.

The disconnect when they make this sort of analysis is, UK is the punching bag of the SEC, and even down teams look to UK to get well and usually do.

UK fans think they are going to beat Spurrier 2 years in a row because they won last year. Really?

They think Georgia is always winnable because some UK team beat Georgia in the last 10 years therefore they will win now.

Competitive teams don't dump 6 games in a row to end the season.

I'll give them this, Stoops has only had 2 years so it's not really fair to bury him at this stage.

However, the post one of the UK fans made above about how we have to acknowledge Stoops' great achievements to-date is laughable. All Stoops has done is meet the low bar of expectations, he hasn't done a single thing beyond load up on recruiting when the cupboard was completely bare.

The onus is on UK to prove they are better. No one in the country outside the UK fanbase is going to believe it until we see it.

I mean, come on. We'd look like idiots if we came out saying "This is the year for UK!"

UK will someday make a bowl again, but to assume it's this year based on the evidence to-date is a huge stretch of the imagination, a leap I'm not prepared to make and land myself in a strait-jacket in some padded cell. If they get there, more power to them, but based on what I've seen the past two years/30 years, my expectation is a 4-win UK team showing up at Commonwealth to face the Cardinals.

UK fans look at their schedule all wrong every year thinking in terms of, "What would a halfway decent team do against this schedule?"

UK will someday make a bowl again, but to assume it's this year based on the evidence to-date is a huge stretch of the imagination, a leap I'm not prepared to make and land myself in a strait-jacket in some padded cell. If they get there, more power to them, but based on what I've seen the past two years/30 years, my expectation is a 4-win UK team showing up at Commonwealth to face the Cardinals.

Not calling you out, but where do you see 4 wins? :D

Not calling you out, but where do you see 4 wins? :D

Fair question... My gut opinion of the situation is UK will take care of the 3 OOC games against EKU, the Cajuns, and Charlotte. And that they'll beat Vandy.

It's just my impression that they'll get to 4 but less is very possible and some will say likely. I certainly wouldn't spend any time arguing with someone who predicted less than 4 wins.

They are over on Wildcat Lair predicting 7,8 even 9 wins, including South Carolina, Florida and a guaranteed win against Louisville. Their defense couldn't stop anybody last year, and their two best defensive players graduated. After the spring injury to Phillips, they have two scholarship QB's, only one of which has ever played, going into the fall. Getting to six wins would be a huge achievement. They routinely dismiss their own ineptitude when analyzing their schedule, and it bites them in the butt every year.

God those people are goofy! UK is trending up, UL trending down according to that lunatic jauk11. What alternate universe do those idiots live in?

It's funny how Cat fans are always talking about how Louisville lost all of its talent from the previous season whereas the self-proclaimed University of Kentucky never seems to lose any talent ( as if they had any since '07). Last year with Bridgewater gone the Cards would drop to a sub 500 team and would go winless in the ACC. In'13 Bridgewater was overrated and would be completely ineffective without the '12 offensive line. This year without the 10 NFL draft picks the Cards are less of a threat to the mighty UK juggernaut than is Louisiana Lafayette. I like my chances of going to Commonworthless on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and finding the place full of Cards fans while the UK fans sit home eating left-over stuffing and talk about how Louisville is a sure win in '16.

The LPT game last year was dominated statistically by U of L. It's a fluke that it was a game in the 4th quarter...

How many 3rd string QBs over the years who had previously never played meaningful snaps has Slapdick State made look like a Heisman candidate? Yet they have 15 NFL prospects on defense alone. Those people are just goofy

The "off season hype" is in high gear already this year for UK. What I find interesting is that it's always based on what coaches or players other teams no longer have, rather than what their team does have. It's always a thought process of "they" have declined to where we can beat them, rather than we have improved enough to win.

http://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/ul-vs-uk-this-season.97125/

Delusional LPT quote of the day: "UL's schedule is not tougher than last year. UL plays 4 teams. Auburn, Clemson, Florida St, and UK..."

I MIGHT be OK grouping LPT with three other teams on our schedule this year. Probably stacks up as Houston, Samford, LPT, and Boston Coll/Cuse/Wake, no disrespect to the conference teams.

LPT football: Three high school teams is a safer comparison...

Ha! Saw that too. But the 15 NFL PROSPECTS on defense alone is what had me in stitches. I'm not kidding, that bunch is nuts over there. You'd think that's a team coming off a BCS win or something. Why are they so full of optimism?

Last edited:
Fair question... My gut opinion of the situation is UK will take care of the 3 OOC games against EKU, the Cajuns, and Charlotte. And that they'll beat Vandy.

It's just my impression that they'll get to 4 but less is very possible and some will say likely. I certainly wouldn't spend any time arguing with someone who predicted less than 4 wins.
I will give them those four. The Cajuns could be a tougher game then expected. I believe we played them a few years back and they had a solid club.

Ha! Saw that too. But the 15 NFL PROSPECTS on defense alone is what had me in stitches. I'm not kidding, that bunch is nuts over there. You'd think that's a team coming off a BCS win or something. Why are they so full of optimism?
You have to remember they have strung along their 3 best recruiting classes ever, nevermind they are still in the bottom half of the $EC and not much better than ours. They think that because they have put some lipstick on their stadium our players will be intimidated. It's a brand new season where UK fans always predict big things only to go comatose by October when the game played betweeen the lines actually takes place. I also love to read Jauk11's take. He's so bent out of shape still playing the Jurich/Hurtt card. What a bafoon!!!

Who says there's a gap in coaching?

I keep reading that UofL beat UK with their third string QB, but that speaks more to Petrino's evaluation of the position than it does UK's ability to defend UofL's starting QB.

This thread was started asking why UK fans were so confident about beating UofL. I just gave the reasons why, and stated my opinion. Sorry if that rubbed some of you the wrong way.

Believe me, while some UK fans may take UofL lightly, I'm not taking UK's game against UofL as a win. But UK will be much approved over last season. This past season was a close game, and this season will be the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if UK is favored when the odds are set.

Whatever happened to this guy?

The two four star DBs redshirted because one had a broken leg and the other had a bunch of issues getting enrolled/cleared but was also later injured . Both would've played significant minutes last year. It's going to be a great game. Stoops and the staff have managed to close the gap in our rosters pretty well going into his third season

Myth

Reactions: tkdcoach
I don't see how the past has any bearing on this season. Yes the past 4-5 seasons have been awful. Joker drove our program further into the ground than Mumme was able to with probation. Just as our program had begun to turn a corner with Brooks Joker burned it to the ground. I'm sure you guys can relate having been Kragthorped. This isn't your daddy's UK team though and Stoops isn't Joker. This rivalry is about to turn up to another level. If you can't acknowledge the job our staff is doing right now you're just a hater and that's ok

I am a hater and I do acknowledge and love what your staff is doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT