ADVERTISEMENT

UK...Serious O-Linemen recruits 3 4-Stars....

It will be years before these young men make a difference for anyone. I hope against hope that uk trots out freshman lineman against Louisville. Four star recruits are all well and good but until the talent is developed stars mean squat. What many here forget is uk must play a season in the SEC before facing Louisville. By the time they line up against Louisville the SEC will have the cats softened up. It's been that way since Bear Bryant was at uk, I don't see anything with this staff, aside from their ability to sell if and buts to a bunch of gullible high school kids, that makes me think the culture at uk has changed. Every time that program has had an opportunity to step forward they have failed. Until they do, I don't worry about a couple of pimple faced kids from nowhere kentucky.
CJ

2 of the 4 Olinemen we are talking about will make an impact next year. The Juco OTackle that BAMA wanted is the highest ranked recruit on our board and will be expected to start at Tackle next year. The Guard that transferred from Ohio State will Redshirt this year and be a RS Soph next year. He was another Army All American that BAMA, OSU, etc. wanted. For the other two it should definitely be 2 or 3 years until they should start. Our Oline this year is young with only 1 senior starter(but they weren't good last year so that can be good and bad).

Very true that the SEC gauntlet has always beat us down by year end. Two things around that...one..we are deeper as a number positions because of good recruiting. Young in most cases but deeper. Secondly, with UL's ACC schedule, the wear and tear should be comparable between the two teams. Like last year when you played Notre Dame the week before our game and we had bye week...I like how this years schedule sets up. Both teams will be playing their 7th game in a row when we play this year. But UK will be playing Charlotte(who just moved to 1A) which should be a glorified scrimmage where in we can rest banged up players. UL on the other hand, has a very physical Pitt team that likes to use the power run game. That sets up well for UK to be fresher..

I laugh when people put down Jucos. They act like they are scout team players that could never really amount to something. Yet they forget that before they were Jucos, they were recruited by numerous D1 programs but simply didn't have the grades to qualify. No doubt the Juco competition is not the same, but there are very good players that get game experieince that is better than their High School competition and when they reach a D1 campus, they are older and more mature. You have to trust your coaches ability to pursue the ones they believe can help their system. Do they all pan out? No, but it's not a bad strategy to fill much needed holes with more mature athletes. Time will tell.

I laugh when people put down Jucos. They act like they are scout team players that could never really amount to something...
For sure. Gotta understand that LPT fans are relying on their own experiences and biases.

Biggest example is coaching--consistently underrating good coaching (Petrino) and overrating bad (Stupes?) Give me a good coach with bad players any day than the opposite. The first guy will absolutely kick the other guy's blue a$$.

LPT Football: Like a virgin talking about sex...

What cracks me up is........That almost all of UK's recruits had offers from UL. If they are such bums and pimpled face hillbilly's then why would Petrino want them??? Whether you like it or not UK is putting a much better product on the field than ever before, and we are only another year from being talked about as SEC East contenders. Stoops is a great coach, and has developed his players very well. Just curious.......didn't Bud Dupree get picked in the first round before a highly publicized UL football player?? Before Stoops go there Bud nor Zadarius were thought to be even 3rd or 4th round picks.
Stoops came into a bigger mess than any UL coach has had to endure. I love seeing these posts.....It just confirms the concern from you guys. Although some of you are hater's, I do wish you well this season and look forward to meeting in the new CWS.

Go Cats!!!

What cracks me up is........That almost all of UK's recruits had offers from UL. If they are such bums and pimpled face hillbilly's then why would Petrino want them???...
It's about what they do once they get to campus. And how much hype they get in the meantime. The difference between Petrino and Stupes.

...Whether you like it or not UK is putting a much better product on the field than ever before, and we are only another year from being talked about as SEC East contenders. Stoops is a great coach, and has developed his players very well...
Says who? A bunch of LPT fans who have never witnessed good football? Stupes is an ex-D coordinator, and your defense sucks worse than it did under Joker.

...Just curious.......didn't Bud Dupree get picked in the first round before a highly publicized UL football player?? Before Stoops go there Bud nor Zadarius were thought to be even 3rd or 4th round picks....
I can hear it now... The NFL Draft week is the biggest football week of the year.

Which other LPT guys went in the 2015 draft, by the way? (Don't struggle too hard to find them...)

...Stoops came into a bigger mess than any UL coach has had to endure...
Ever heard of Charlie Strong?

LPT Football: K-rag was lots better than Joker...

SEC East contenders o_O

The leap some of these posters take is amazing. They see how Cal recruits in one sport and they apply those results to improved recruiting classes in football and suddenly GA and others may as well start playing for 2nd.

Losers of six straight and a few of them with doors getting blown off. Lose the leading tackler, the #1 sack guy.

Lots of momentum, I can see why he's talking crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all know you need really good players to compete. An abundance of talent that is developed and well coached is going to win a high percentage of games. There is a reason FSU has become so good since Fischer arrived. It is not surprising to USC took a step back once Carroll left.

Louisville fans understand recruiting is important, but the staff better identify talent, develop players and be a good game coach. That is where the difference lies. Louisville has been lucky to hire a AD that understand football. His one miss was an over reaction to trying to find someone different than Petrino. The truth is Strong and Petrino are great at identifying talent, developing talent, and coached to their strengths.

I have no idea if Stoops can develop talent. I think his staff definitely can identify talent. We have no idea if he can develop talent. This is the defining year for UK. A really soft schedule with the SEC East being down if they don't going bowling this year then even UK fans will have to start questioning the staffs ability to develop players and coach on game days.

The other thing we all agree on is Kentucky high school players aren't nearly as prepared as players from the southern states. It doesn't mean they won't be good players or even great players but it tends to take them longer to adjust to the college game.

We all know you need really good players to compete. An abundance of talent that is developed and well coached is going to win a high percentage of games. There is a reason FSU has become so good since Fischer arrived. It is not surprising to USC took a step back once Carroll left.

Louisville fans understand recruiting is important, but the staff better identify talent, develop players and be a good game coach. That is where the difference lies. Louisville has been lucky to hire a AD that understand football. His one miss was an over reaction to trying to find someone different than Petrino. The truth is Strong and Petrino are great at identifying talent, developing talent, and coached to their strengths.

I have no idea if Stoops can develop talent. I think his staff definitely can identify talent. We have no idea if he can develop talent. This is the defining year for UK. A really soft schedule with the SEC East being down if they don't going bowling this year then even UK fans will have to start questioning the staffs ability to develop players and coach on game days.

The other thing we all agree on is Kentucky high school players aren't nearly as prepared as players from the southern states. It doesn't mean they won't be good players or even great players but it tends to take them longer to adjust to the college game.
I agree with this. I also happen to think that if UofL had hired Stoops to replace Strong, he would have come in and gone 8-5 or 9-4 and you guys would be talking about how good he is at identifying and developing talent, and how great a find he was by Jurich. JMO.

I agree with this. I also happen to think that if UofL had hired Stoops to replace Strong, he would have come in and gone 8-5 or 9-4 and you guys would be talking about how good he is at identifying and developing talent, and how great a find he was by Jurich. JMO.

Posts that include "if" can be thrown out the window. There's no evidence to support "if" scenarios.

Mythical scenarios are a waste of time.

Message boards are built on a sharing of information, and any many instances arguments that are based on real time facts.

Yes, at times weak argument gets introduced including a lot of "if" scenarios. "If" we didn't fumble we would have won! "If" _____ didn't get hurt we would have won. "If" coach ____ coached team ____ coach ____ would have won ________ games.

Mythical scenarios are a waste of time.

Message boards are built on a sharing of information, and any many instances arguments that are based on real time facts.

Yes, at times weak argument gets introduced including a lot of "if" scenarios. "If" we didn't fumble we would have won! "If" _____ didn't get hurt we would have won. "If" coach ____ coached team ____ coach ____ would have won ________ games.
10-4. I'll be sure to stick to empirical facts from here on out. I trust you'll hold the rest of the board to the same standards. ;)

10-4. I'll be sure to stick to empirical facts from here on out. I trust you'll hold the rest of the board to the same standards. ;)

It's one thing to predict future events w/ ifs, but I just disapprove of using "if" for events to predict in mythical terms or change things that happened in the past. And I truly disapprove when the "if" try attempts to completely re-write events, like coach swapping.

I don't even mind the stretching it to "if.... maybe ____ happens" but to just make a firm statement that "if.....then ______ would have happened" then I will call somebody out on that.

As for being the police for others using the "if" argument, I'll decide when to drop the hammer.

I mean how do you know what Stoops would do here man? He could do better, he could do worse. It's a silly thing to even propose because he is not here. I understand you want to stand up for your guy, just don't put him on our sideline in your mythical propositions.

You're a great poster I just had to get at you on that one.

Not only has UK got commitments from 3 4-star O-Lineman. Look for UK to also get a 5-star O-Lineman named Jedrick Wills. With all these 4-star recruits that Stoops is bringing in, & with a few 5-star recruits sprinkled in here & there. UK is going to be much harder to beat in the coming years. So get used to it!

As long as LPT has "coaches" like Stupes and Pitino Lite, the talent won't really matter.

LPT Football: Never taking stock of how important actual coaching is...

[QUOHow TE="johnnyrockets, post: 94059, member: 1838"]I agree with this. I also happen to think that if UofL had hired Stoops to replace Strong, he would have come in and gone 8-5 or 9-4 and you guys would be talking about how good he is at identifying and developing talent, and how great a find he was by Jurich. JMO.[/QUOTE]
How did we get 58 posts talking about UK offensive line recruits? Was this thread started in May when there was nothing to talk about but the Triple Crown?

Anyone keeping track of how many LPT O-linemen have bitten the dust in the last year? And all I heard about was Joker's attrition.

We hardly knew ya!

LPT Football: No wonder good transfers don't end up here...

[QUOHow TE="johnnyrockets, post: 94059, member: 1838"]I agree with this. I also happen to think that if UofL had hired Stoops to replace Strong, he would have come in and gone 8-5 or 9-4 and you guys would be talking about how good he is at identifying and developing talent, and how great a find he was by Jurich. JMO.
How did we get 58 posts talking about UK offensive line recruits? Was this thread started in May when there was nothing to talk about but the Triple Crown?[/QUOTE]
Sham, It must have ticked a few off!

I don't know how long a "short" list is, but LPT's list is more than I can count on both hands.

And there's only two reasons the blue chip KY kids haven't been successful at LPT. But you're not gonna like the other explanation any better...

They were either overrated coming in, or the LPT football program put 'em in the dumpster.

LPT Football: We already knew the other reason...

Zipp, you couldn't name 10 (I take you have all your fingers) 4* or above players from the state of Kentucky in the last ten years, period, much less 10 who went to UK. I admit my memory is not what it used to be so help me out, please list just five "blue chip" Kentucky HS kids who attended UK over the past ten years who were busts.

Zipp, you couldn't name 10 (I take you have all your fingers) 4* or above players from the state of Kentucky in the last ten years, period, much less 10 who went to UK. I admit my memory is not what it used to be so help me out, please list just five "blue chip" Kentucky HS kids who attended UK over the past ten years who were busts.
As has been previously reported...

I don't have access to Rivals data prior to 2002. Since then, here's the list of 5.7 or higher rated kids from Kentucky who have committed to LPT:

Andre Woodson
Micah Jones
Micah Johnson
Corey Peters
Stuart Hines
Aaron Boyd
Winston Guy
Tim Patterson
Darrian Miller
Zach West
Thomas Chapman
Patrick Towles
Jason Hatcher
Ryan Timmons
Drew Barker

I don't follow the LPT roster that closely. But that list isn't a who's who of kids who have starred for LPT in the last 14 years. Either it's because they weren't that good or because LPT killed their football careers.

It's a reasonable debate as to what performance measure you use for these kids since LPT is such a football doormat. But one thing is obvious...none of them did enough to change that...
Now, those are "just" high three-star (Rivals 5.7) guys and higher, and I'm not going back to separate out four-star kids and higher (5.8+) because the rating system isn't that precise. But that's a pretty good list of LPT blue chip kids just from the state of Kentucky.

Now, what was your point?

LPT Football: We forgot...

As has been previously reported...

Now, those are "just" high three-star (Rivals 5.7) guys and higher, and I'm not going back to separate out four-star kids and higher (5.8+) because the rating system isn't that precise. But that's a pretty good list of LPT blue chip kids just from the state of Kentucky.

Now, what was your point?

LPT Football: We forgot...

Zippo, I'd like to know that question as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT