ADVERTISEMENT

UK Recruiting efforts to date..

cardstud1

5000+
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2006
Stoops has collected a nice consorting of FB Athletes. He has yet to put together what he has, maybe this is the year he makes a move. It makes me apprehensive .......

Well coached teams improve during the season, they fall off more than any program that I've ever seen. The talent may/may not be there, the coaching is just really bad.

Well coached teams improve during the season, they fall off more than any program that I've ever seen. The talent may/may not be there, the coaching is just really bad.
Or maybe the depth wasn't there to hold up against a back loaded schedule. In 2014 we went 8 straight weeks in the SEC without a bye week

Or maybe the depth wasn't there to hold up against a back loaded schedule. In 2014 we went 8 straight weeks in the SEC without a bye week
The first three of those games were pitiful: Vandy, Louisiana-Monroe, and USCjr. But why let facts stand in the way, eh?

Oh, and three of the remaining five? They were against SEC East teams that have been historically weak. Georgia and Florida later fired their coaches.

Hard to rationalize your way around absolute suckiness.

LPT Football: We suck...

UK's schedule is "back loaded" again so all the excuses are in place!

I'm expecting to see posts on the UK board this year: "Alright, we're 3-5. Austin Peay is a given. All we have to do is beat 2 of: Georgia, Tennessee, or Louisville to go to a Bowl. These are all winnable games!!!"

UK's schedule is "back loaded" again so all the excuses are in place!

I'm expecting to see posts on the UK board this year: "Alright, we're 3-5. Austin Peay is a given. All we have to do is beat 2 of: Georgia, Tennessee, or Louisville to go to a Bowl. These are all winnable games!!!"
Is it a coincidence that when we played them early in the season the UK schedule was front loaded, and now it's back loaded? ;)

Tell them Catfan- and if you look at the results of that murderers row Stoops was still able to get the team up enough during that streak to lose by only 5 TD's each to Tennessee, Georgia & LSU. Not many teams would be able to stay within 40 of those powerhouses.

Reactions: atiba
Recruiting only matters if they have good coaching.

But there's also the fact that UK fans DRASTICALLY overrate recruiting rankings and class rankings.

Avg Class Ranking Over Since Stoops Arrived In Lexington (4 classes)
UK - 32nd
UL - 38th

Avg Player Ranking Over The Last 4 years.
UK - 84.49
UL - 84.39

The idea that because UKs classes are ranked higher than ULs means that UK is closing the talent gap is misleading. Stoops has really only had one class (2014) that was a significant achievement. One aspect that UK fans never bring up in a positive way is the fact that UL heavily targets transfers and those transfers are never counted in class rankings.

If they don't count towards your recruiting rankings we don't want them . We can get a 5.1423 kid that moves UK from they 34th best class to the 31st. Me and Jauk know your recruiting ratings show how great your program is. That's the important number. Not wins and losses.

Reactions: atiba and BPGhost
Star system is so flawed in football. Kentucky gets two 5 star lineman. One on the defensive line and one on the offensive front. You put those two boys in the Florida system, they are a 3 star at best. Elam would have been a high 2 MAYBE!!!

As Strongtino pointed out, UofL has done a better job of filling its needs with exceptional transfers (more so than UK which has seen the light and is ramping up its efforts in this regard). The other thing that gets missed is that UofL typically redshirts most of its Freshman, which allows them to get better before they hit the field. Whereas UK has been playing many Freshman from the get go (which is part of its recruiting strategy to land them).
So, yes, there is no doubt that Stoops has done a good job recruiting although it often seems to be based more upon star rankings than team needs, and he hasn't managed his recruits to make them as successful as the star rankings might indicate. In all candor, he would have been better off taking some additional losses the first two years and developing his players as well as taking lesser ranked recruits that fill specific needs. It does seem like he sacrificed long-term success for short term gains with regard to many recruits.
So the gist is that there is a difference between the two schools in strategy that has resulted in more success for UofL recruits than UK recruits (so far).

As Strongtino pointed out, UofL has done a better job of filling its needs with exceptional transfers (more so than UK which has seen the light and is ramping up its efforts in this regard). The other thing that gets missed is that UofL typically redshirts most of its Freshman, which allows them to get better before they hit the field. Whereas UK has been playing many Freshman from the get go (which is part of its recruiting strategy to land them).
So, yes, there is no doubt that Stoops has done a good job recruiting although it often seems to be based more upon star rankings than team needs, and he hasn't managed his recruits to make them as successful as the star rankings might indicate. In all candor, he would have been better off taking some additional losses the first two years and developing his players as well as taking lesser ranked recruits that fill specific needs. It does seem like he sacrificed long-term success for short term gains with regard to many recruits.
So the gist is that there is a difference between the two schools in strategy that has resulted in more success for UofL recruits than UK recruits (so far).
Strong played ALOT of true freshmen here, he also went to bowl games every year.

UofL was starting 8 freshman on Offense at times last year. That kind of blows your theory out the door.

Additional losses? That first year he was 2-10. Where do you clowns come up with this stuff! The next yr you didn't beat anyone with a pulse. Exactly what "additional losses" should he have taken?
I don't see why he needs to redshirt these guys at all. Most 5.6574 star players are gone to the NFL after 3 years. At the end of this year don't be surprised if you see Boom, Drew and Big Matt all putting there names in the draft.

Playing Freshman isn't a "problem" if they are well coached and fit your system. In order to know that you have to have a system that you use to evaluate talent and Petrino obviously has his own and doesn't rely on 247, Rivals, Scout or ESPN to tell him who the most talented players are. Petrino is universally ranked as one of the top 10-15 coaches in all of college football and has now been a head coach for 11 full seasons. He's won 100 games and lost 39 and his recruiting rankings finish by year according to Rivals:

UL 2003 - 37
UL 2004 - 64
UL 2005 - 46
UL 2006 - 37
ARK 2008 - 36
ARK 2009 - 16
ARK 2010 - 51
ARK 2011 - 25
WKU 2013 - NR
UL 2014 - 36
UL 2015 - 32
UL 2016 - 36

A total of 2 - top 25 classes. The man has averaged a 9-4 record over the last 11 seasons, won 2 Conference Titles and been to 2 BCS Bowls and put numerous 3 star and below kids in the NFL. You can't rely on a star system or on recruiting rankings...you recruit based on what you can see and what you know and how well that player fits into what you want to do. To me...it seems as if Marrow and Stoops have not yet developed that ability yet. I think they got caught up in building the "brand" of UK Football that they forgot that winning games actually matters and builds a brand faster than anything. So instead of getting game film and watching tape on kids to see if they met the needs for the system Stoops wanted to run, they simply when off of rankings and offering them instant playing time in the SEC. It seems they blanketed Ohio with scholarship offers and then when some of the higher ranked kids actually committed they accepted their commitments, regardless of the system fit.

Now...having said all of that I don't think they've recruited the wrong kids. I think Stoops is simply in over his head as a HC and he compounded the problem by hiring young, inexperienced coordinators that had no idea what they were doing. It was a bunch nuts running the madhouse and nobody knew what to do. I think hiring Gran will help but I also question Stoops and his staff's ability to develop, coach and prepare talent. UK does not have a good football team or a good football program but I also don't think they're nearly bad enough to have went 17 games without an SEC win or went 2-10, 2 years ago or bad enough to finish the last 2 seasons with 6 straight losses. He's only had 3 seasons and he's at a terrible program but he's shown no signs of positive coaching ability in 3 years.

Speaking of Boom, someone on the "other" UofL board was talking about the rumored player's revolt in UK's locker room last season. I had forgotten about it. But stuff like that doesn't just go away, those guys are still in the locker room and as soon as UK loses a game they're going to be back dividing the team and causing trouble.

Reactions: American Male
Here's what it boils down to in its simplest terms: despite Porky's "tearing it up" on the recruiting trail, their talent level is still no better than 11th or 12th out of 14 SEC teams. Their coaching is probably 12th or 13th. That is a recipe for disaster or at best mediocrity. You can get by with one or the other being subpar, but not both.

According to UK fans they've already recruited over Warren and Yeast. They are going to be "just fine." I don't know how a UK fan could witness what they do every year and ever think things are going to be "just fine." That's like standing in the middle of the Hindenburg disaster saying "No worries, everything will be fine!"

It's going to get really ugly if those players end up on our roster next year, and UK starts off slow. Very likely scenario since they have some tough games in their first month this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT