ADVERTISEMENT

UK once applied admission to the ACC.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
This was well before my time. This is a CJ article from 9/17/53. Also, if you're on Twitter and you don't follow Kelly Dickey, you need to remedy that.
EddMgnOXsAEC4Sf

Lol, them in the ACC? No beating up football schools for all those wins. The 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and most of the 80s, no $EZ school gave a crap about hoops. They got 200+ wins against Mississippi School for Hogs and Dirt alone...

Was the ACC that good outside of UNC? It almost seems like until Coach K got to Duke, that UNC had a stranglehold on the ACC the same way the Bluenecks ran the SEC.

Honestly, it would’ve just been Kentucky & UNC as the only 2 teams and they wouldn’t have been able to dominate their conferences like they did for so long. That’s how all the so called Blue Blood schools built their reputation. They got an elite Coach and dominated conferences that only cared about football.

It seems like UK, UNC, Kansas, & UCLA were able to dominate their conferences and build up their legacy of wins. I’m guessing the Big 10 was really the only conference win big time competition, because that area of the country jusT loved basketball. Indiana, Ohio State, Illinois, Purdue. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Michigan State all haD decent programs over the years. Cold weather has better basketball players.

NC St has underrated tradition. Very good in the 70s and 80s, a title in each decade. Pretty good in the 40s and 50s glancing at the #'s. They won the ACC 8 times from 1947-1957. Surprising.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
NC St has underrated tradition. Very good in the 70s and 80s, a title in each decade. Pretty good in the 40s and 50s glancing at the #'s. They won the ACC 8 times from 1947-1957. Surprising.
They never really have found the spark after Jimmy V left. And Duke jumped them as the national power with UNC, it just killed their momentum.

ive always felt that they have untapped potential as a university, but just do not have any air with all the competition around the Carolinas.

WF was pretty good back in the 90s.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

WF was pretty good back in the 90s.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

I went to the Sweet 16 in Charlotte in 1993 to watch WKU. Also in that bracket was WF. Rodney Rodgers was a beast. WKU got bounced by FSU, who was also quite good at the time with Sam Cassell and Bob Sura. WF ended getting demolished by some team in Lexington. After Rodgers left, enter Tim Duncan, so yes, WF was pretty good in the 90's.

Reactions: gocds
UVA was pretty solid too during the Ralph Sampson years and who could forget the Raker and Jones years, 2 Ky boys that were pretty darn good for the WaHoos.;)

And of course UVA's last 5 years have been pretty darn impressive too. & I highly dislike them and their style of play but they have been winning big with it so there is that.o_O;)

Reactions: gocds
ADVERTISEMENT