ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN canceled the 2020 football season today

CardsFirst

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2007
Yep. They took the step today to completely cancel FB. Wondering if it’s the beginning of the end for UCONN FB. Wasn’t there talk of abolishing FB at UCONN? Obviously the season was canceled over COVID 19 concerns, but it’s not a bid leap to think it won’t be back if abolishing it is a real possibility.

Unforeseen consequence of being left out of conference realignment. No conference, no one to play. I don't see how the G5 makes it with no sizeable TV contracts and no fans in the stadiums.

I don't see how G5 happens at all, and I don't see P5 making it past the quarter mile point. But the P5 will recover somewhat and have football in a future year. This could kill a lot of programs, the Federal Reserve isn't printing money just for them.

UConn could have been Louisville. Remember that!

I didn't realize that UConn had become an independent. There was too many scheduling problems involved with Covid on top.

I didn't realize that UConn had become an independent. There was too many scheduling problems involved with Covid on top.

They rejoined the Big East, which doesn't have football, so they went Independent.

Unforeseen consequence of being left out of conference realignment. No conference, no one to play. I don't see how the G5 makes it with no sizeable TV contracts and no fans in the stadiums.

I don't see how G5 happens at all, and I don't see P5 making it past the quarter mile point. But the P5 will recover somewhat and have football in a future year. This could kill a lot of programs, the Federal Reserve isn't printing money just for them.

UConn could have been Louisville. Remember that!

Through all their failings (Ramsey & Jurich), they fought like hell to get Louisville in the ACC, basically, after UCONN was already penciled in to join. Ramsey mismanaged money, and Tom mismanaged Pitino, but they are a huge reason the Cards are in a P5 conference.

They’re in a rough spot now, because they can’t get rid of football. The ACC and BIG Ten are both going to expand to 16 team eventually. UCONN is easily one of the 4 teams that will get that bid, so until then they’ll have to struggle to keep that program together until they get the call.

I hope they do get the ACC bid eventually. It’s not the same without the yearly UConn/Cuse battles during conference play. I am glad they’re back in the Big East this season. It’s going to be fun seeing them back in MSG come March.

UConn wants to get out of the football business. Damn shame as they have a nice stadium. Yeah, it’s about 25 miles from their campus but nice nonetheless. But I think it’s obvious that they are using the pandemic as an excuse to finish off football for good. They only care about women’s (and sometimes men’s) basketball. Period. This is just fine with me as they bad mouthed us, along with Cincy, when the ACC “derby” was going on back in the day. Piss on both of them.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

Last edited:
No tears shed. Its football team and athletic department has been hemorrhaging money for a looooong time and doesn't have a big or reliable fan base. It doesn't have much a schedule this year as an independent and was probably only going to have 1/2 of a season at best, and it didn't have the talent to be competitive.(Even a 2-4 record would just look really strange and poor). It was already talking about dropping down to FCS before the pandemic. This is a no-lose decision by it and probably a win in the grand scheme of things. But people will remember (especially this year's opponents who now have another lost game) and this will negatively affect any future decisions about conference additions. If you don't show a commitment to your football program, which is the money maker driving the bus, you aren't going to be high on anyone's list. And still not shedding a tear for them.

Last edited:
What's interesting is they are fully aware no football would mean no P5 and they are making these decisions anyway.

Don't want to fast forward my life but I do wonder about the landscape in 10 years. Let's hope we're all alive to talk about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT