ADVERTISEMENT

U of L's 502 NIL collective group

Not interested, and I'm curious what kind of reaction they get from other fans. The LAST thing I will help college athletes do is become more like pro players.

I may end up watching a team that looks like Bellarmine representing U of L. High basketball IQ and marginal athletic ability. So be it...

Reactions: Kybluedude
Not interested, and I'm curious what kind of reaction they get from other fans. The LAST thing I will help college athletes do is become more like pro players.

I may end up watching a team that looks like Bellarmine representing U of L. High basketball IQ and marginal athletic ability. So be it...
Well i by no means like any of this NIL crap. However the Genie has been let out the bottle no matter what stipulations the NCAA puts in effect too late. And if this school expects to be competitive and relevant in the major sports landscape we are going to need this. It's the new norm. Now i do expect over time for this to kinda level out . Their is no way alot of these business will think it's a profitable thing for them. Especially the kids in BB that will be one and done. But people with money to burn don't think like a regular person does.

I was listening to coach Walz and he basically stated its going to be a problem with players hunting and leaving for the biggest offering.

Yeah I'm on board with people NOT being restricted to make money for themselves incl. student-athletes.

This new NIL thing is more about me being solicited to participate in that. No thanks. Help yourself without my help. And if there are consequences to enough people answering the way I am, I'll accept that.

It's a big world with a lot of options and pursuits for yourself. I'll make do...

I think there's room in college football for money and a quality product to coexist. It doesn't seem to hurt the NFL which is more popular than any other sport.

My concern is college basketball. I'm not watching hero ball and college players being "showcased". I'm even reserving judgment on a player like Hailey Van Lith. Let me see an example or two of her worried about an NIL contract. My concern is less with a strong hand like Jeff Walz in charge.

The NBA is popular despite the big money in that sport. But it doesn't appear to me to be popular for the reasons I watch college basketball. And I wouldn't cross the street to see an NBA game, I don't care who's playing...

I have no inside info. With that said...

It looks like NIL is happening for UofL with football. We'll probably get a better picture of it if this massive recruiting class holds together when it is time to sign. These never seen before type of rated players aren't signing up here because of anything Satt is saying or really doing. No disrespect to that man at all, but some other forces are at work here. Just my opinion, guessing.

If the football program can hang with NIL I see no reason why the basketball program can't eventually as well.

Basketball in a bit of a different spot with all the documented problems and some things still unresolved. Some real uncertainty and a rebuild in progress. I think we're going to need to wait and see before knowing if UofL can compete with NIL. Maybe next year's class will provide some clues.

I feel like I've read people posting about Junior, Griff, etc having some NIL cash I know there are some local businesses in town that can do some things with NIL also maybe.

I wish the message board had more traffic with insiders, some insiders can probably weigh in.

Last edited:
I think basketball will do well with NIL in the long term. Football is already benefitting. Our situation of being a large city with a lot of corporate sponsors, and no professional leagues, makes us an attractive option for players. Groups like in the Crawford article will learn to capitalize on our strengths.

I do not see this ending well for college sports. The transition between amateur and professional status has slowly evolved to the point of diluting the original concept of where college education was the ultimate reward for the student athlete.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I can forsee the time where the greed and entitlement that led to the MLB strike will eventually find its way to college. College football may be successful in defeating that destructive path, as the 85 player rosters for so many schools means the majority of student athletes are enrolled for the purpose of obtaining a college education and would be disinclined to support anything that could interrupt that goal ……. However, Basketball‘s much smaller roster number makes it far more susceptible to players using walkouts as leverage to obtain additional concessions from the schools.

Everything evolves or it dies. NIL is just bringing what was happening in the shadows into the light. This really isn’t about the actual sport. It is about players and how to build a championship level program as NIL evolves.

Everything the NCAA did to level the playing field didn’t work. NIL and transfers will achieve that quicker than people think. Louisville football is a good example how it can work. The collective is a personal-small business choice to help Louisville acquire elite talent. I would be more inclined to pay a monthly fee to sites like this if it was part of the collective where players could get money for interviews and appearances etc. I don’t like the pay for play but I am all for kids having the opportunity to earn money.

Reactions: rh62531
The best way the vast majority of student athletes will earn money is by obtaining a good education that prepares them for a job that provides career earnings. The percentage of student athletes who eventually earn a living playing professional sports is very small compared to the overall numbers.

Selfishly, I too will enjoy UL using its NIL as a way to attract the level of talent that makes us more competitive, but everything becomes relative ……. ultimately there will always be someone who is willing to out bid the other, and I do not expect UL will beat UK (just an example of a close rival) or other larger fanbases when it comes to who will pay the most.

There are going to be winners and losers, and much like before NIL, there will be the vast majority who either cannot, or will choose not to be as competitive. We are seeing some of this now with the conference realignment. Just my own speculation, but once the majority of schools recognize they cannot compete equally, the numbers of schools participating will decline significantly.

The best way the vast majority of student athletes will earn money is by obtaining a good education that prepares them for a job that provides career earnings. The percentage of student athletes who eventually earn a living playing professional sports is very small compared to the overall numbers.

Selfishly, I too will enjoy UL using its NIL as a way to attract the level of talent that makes us more competitive, but everything becomes relative ……. ultimately there will always be someone who is willing to out bid the other, and I do not expect UL will beat UK (just an example of a close rival) or other larger fanbases when it comes to who will pay the most.

There are going to be winners and losers, and much like before NIL, there will be the vast majority who either cannot, or will choose not to be as competitive. We are seeing some of this now with the conference realignment. Just my own speculation, but once the majority of schools recognize they cannot compete equally, the numbers of schools participating will decline significantly.
233 even though I "like" most of what your post indicates I must disagree with your last sentence. NO school is going drop out of a conference simply because they cannot "compete athletically" and I think that is what you are implying. Money drives the bus and that is the fact of the situation. The perfect example is Uahkay football. They, for years and years, did not compete in the SEC (along with Vandy) but the paycheck at the end of the season kept them coming back for more drubbings. We, at UofL, are actually not much different as we've taken a ton of football butt kickings for checks over the years. You always gotta figure out a way to pay the bills including high coaching costs.

GO CARDS!!!

233 even though I "like" most of what your post indicates I must disagree with your last sentence. NO school is going drop out of a conference simply because they cannot "compete athletically" and I think that is what you are implying. Money drives the bus and that is the fact of the situation...
That's true in our current context. What if Vandy's share of the SEC pie declines significantly because of a new performance based, revenue sharing model which I think is coming for everyone eventually? No way Vandy deserves the same share of SEC money as schools like Bama and aTm.

I think you're gonna see a lotta changes in the next decade that feed the big dogs and starve the small ones throughout college football. Then let's see what schools decide to do that are hopelessly mired at the bottom of their conferences...

You are correct GOCDS, I should have clarified my thoughts further, as Zipp shared in his subsequent response.

It really is not so much about being competitive, as it is about the ultimate financial consequences of not being included in this 2 Super Conference model ……. the expanded SEC and the expanded B10.

I have already questioned the reasoning for both Clemson and Norte Dame leaving their existing ACC affiliation. However, if the financial gains are so attractive, and they do follow schools like USC, UCLA; it would likely result in others (like FSU, Oregon, VT, Stanford, etc) leaving as well. That is the scenario that I was referring to, one which would deplete the other 3 P5 Conferences. For those included, it will be more revenue, as there will be less schools participating in the distribution.

For those outside of the 2 Super Conferences; I cannot see a scenario in College Football where the TV revenues would be sufficient to finance the sport. In that scenario, UL would hope to be included in the 2 Super Conference, as those outside would be forced to reconsider having a football program.

The next move is players becoming unionized. It is coming. That will consume a bigger pieces of the TV contracts plus all that comes with players being employees.

If the revenue is based off performance which is likely then it will become like MLB. Small market or small brands will have no way to compete if TV money is used in the procurement of players. If that happens not sure there is enough NIL money to close the gap between SEC and Big Ten.

Not sure that is sustainable.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
That's true in our current context. What if Vandy's share of the SEC pie declines significantly because of a new performance based, revenue sharing model which I think is coming for everyone eventually? No way Vandy deserves the same share of SEC money as schools like Bama and aTm.

I think you're gonna see a lotta changes in the next decade that feed the big dogs and starve the small ones throughout college football. Then let's see what schools decide to do that are hopelessly mired at the bottom of their conferences...
Under your proposal what would happen to the Vandys, Northwesterns, and Wake Forests of the world? Would they be left out? And you can add several top level schools to that list (Rutgers, Syracuse, Kansas, Stanford, etc.). This is why I don't truly believe we are headed for the two super conferences any time soon. Those type schools still yield some influence on the decision making process and as long as that is the situation it will be a loooonnnnngggg time before any major changes happen. Just my opinion here.

GO CARDS!!!

Under your proposal what would happen to the Vandys, Northwesterns, and Wake Forests of the world? Would they be left out?...
I think the financials will eventually "leave them out" or pay them what they bring to the table financially.

Let's take ourselves as an example... Suppose ESPN has a TV revenue analysis that values U of L sports across the board at $20 million annually. In a perfect world, U of L would receive $20 million regardless of which conference we choose to play in. And that's all any conference would pay us.

In that world, schools would group together in ways that make sense: geography, history, etc. Kinda the way it used to be before money drove the bus 100%.

A big issue in football is access to the national championship and how that affects the value of your product. If Vandy leaves the SEC, can they still in theory compete for a national championship? And maybe a future SEC doesn't include teams that fall below a $50 million sports revenue value.

There's plenty of evolution ahead and bugs to be worked out. But paying schools proportional to their value is the direction we're headed. The only unknowns are the process and how long it takes...

There are many examples but Judge Derwin Webb comes too mind juat a role player and without any of all this NIL crap, Took advantage of being an athlete on scholly Law school all paid by the University without this NIL crap. He is one our most successful players in history .

ADVERTISEMENT