ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra Donation

Vince Tyra donated $625,000 to upgrade the Little Yum practice facility. That’s near his yearly salary! Keep up the good work Vince!

I’m not sure that’s accurate. Yum is fulfilling their $625K remaining commitment. I did hear on 93.9 Tyra is donating, but it’s kind of confusing.

No one has ever questioned his fan support...

I didn’t say they have, just relaying the news I heard today. I think it’s admirable so I posted about it in case people haven’t heard. I think he deserves the credit.

I’m not sure that’s accurate. Yum is fulfilling their $625K remaining commitment. I did hear on 93.9 Tyra is donating, but it’s kind of confusing.

That’s where I heard it, but they did say he’s donating $625k. You think 93.9 is misrepresenting his donation?

article in cj said yum! getting out of naming early and giving up $625k to do so

He also acquired a $3 million donation for naming rights for the practice facility.

He did. For the record, however, those donors had already given millions before. He’s not tapping into a new resource.

article in cj said yum! getting out of naming early and giving up $625k to do so
I don't read the CJ...

So let me get this straight... This really isn't NEW money to U of L; it's replacement money. BTW, does anyone know the terms of the prior Yum! sponsorship vs. Planet Fitness? These are gross numbers...Do we know that annual sponsorship revenue (cash flow) isn't going DOWN?

And the old sponsor is paying up today to KEEP FROM sending more money U of L's way over the balance of the contract?

Talk about spinning bad news as good news. I'll give "Vince" credit for having a pair...

I don't read the CJ...

So let me get this straight... This really isn't NEW money to U of L; it's replacement money. BTW, does anyone know the terms of the prior Yum! sponsorship vs. Planet Fitness? These are gross numbers...Do we know that annual sponsorship revenue (cash flow) isn't going DOWN?

And the old sponsor is paying up today to KEEP FROM sending more money U of L's way over the balance of the contract?

Talk about spinning bad news as good news. I'll give "Vince" credit for having a pair...

I just started this thread to honor Vince’s personal donation, which i heard 93.9 report twice saying it was a personal donation, so i trusted that was right.

Either way, there is only one person here trying to spin anything, and that is you. You’re the only poster on this board that would attempt to make a $3 million dollar plus donation look bad.

I don't read the CJ...

If you don’t know the terms of the contract, how do you know they weren’t just paying the balance they owed? TJ would have had to go out and find another sponsor, too (for a practice facility? Sheesh). If he had done that, would you be sneering at a “fake” accomplishment or would you be trumpeting it as more evidence of Tom’s brilliance?

Reactions: Art79
I just started this thread to honor Vince’s personal donation, which i heard 93.9 report twice saying it was a personal donation, so i trusted that was right.

Either way, there is only one person here trying to spin anything, and that is you. You’re the only poster on this board that would attempt to make a $3 million dollar plus donation look bad.
The 93.9 gaffe probably teaches you to not believe everything you hear.

Speaking of which, I'll agree I may be the "one person" in that respect--not believing everything I hear, esp. when it pertains to headlines and reporting by the people who benefit from the headline. I do take delight in ANALYZING what I'm told, not just slurp it down.
If you don’t know the terms of the contract, how do you know they weren’t just paying the balance they owed? TJ would have had to go out and find another sponsor, too (for a practice facility? Sheesh). If he had done that, would you be sneering at a “fake” accomplishment or would you be trumpeting it as more evidence of Tom’s brilliance?
Why would Yum! be "buying out" the contract at full value and not letting it run its course? Makes no sense. If the contract is paid in full and Yum! thinks the negatives outweigh the positives by continuing that relationship, they have the choice of simply removing their name. U of L is not forcing Yum! to advertise its name.

Of course, I gotta remember that you think advertisers see downsides to advertising their name on a product...

Last edited:
zipp i totally agree with what you are saying, was new money brought in our just a status quo on the balance sheet. just guessing, i would think yum was paying less than planet fitness and with yum still giving $625k i'd think it's a plus on the accounting sheet overall. but zipp is right, until you see the outgoing contract for yum and the new planet fitness contract, we don't know if vince did good or just is treading water. i personally believe is his doing good for the school but each year will give us better perspective.

but if yum was leaving anyways and on short notice, it seems tyra is good at getting the job done quickly again, and if for lack of anything else to compliment, zipp you at least have to admit tyra is getting things done in a timely manner and so far all of his decisions seem to be positive for louisville. works for me, go cards!

Reactions: zipp
zipp i totally agree with what you are saying, was new money brought in our just a status quo on the balance sheet. just guessing, i would think yum was paying less than planet fitness and with yum still giving $625k i'd think it's a plus on the accounting sheet overall. but zipp is right, until you see the outgoing contract for yum and the new planet fitness contract, we don't know if vince did good or just is treading water. i personally believe is his doing good for the school but each year will give us better perspective.

but if yum was leaving anyways and on short notice, it seems tyra is good at getting the job done quickly again, and if for lack of anything else to compliment, zipp you at least have to admit tyra is getting things done in a timely manner and so far all of his decisions seem to be positive for louisville. works for me, go cards!
In this instance, I'll admit that "Vince" is keeping someone in the boat. I admitted something analogously when McDonnell agreed to stay on. In that example, Mississippi State was a legit threat and new on the radar. He escaped that threat.

Planet Fitness was in the boat already along with Yum!. Losing the latter and keeping the former is good news at some level. Hate to be greedy, but I'd rather keep both. The "Little Yum!" and the "Planet Fitness ESPN Studios" would have suited me just fine...

Reactions: glassmanJ
The 93.9 gaffe probably teaches you to not believe everything you hear.

Speaking of which, I'll agree I may be the "one person" in that respect--not believing everything I hear, esp. when it pertains to headlines and reporting by the people who benefit from the headline. I do take delight in ANALYZING what I'm told, not just slurp it down.

So im not supposed to believe something reported by a reputable source? And since i did I’m guilty of “slurping it down”? Wow bud, you’re not just pessimistic you are also pretty cynical, i’d hate to live life like that.

Either way, i’d rather be guilty of trusting a reputable source than to get on here day after day being negative like you just for the sake of the attention it gets you on here. By the way, dont you think you’re a little old to run around on this board and act like a 13 year old drama queen?

So im not supposed to believe something reported by a reputable source? And since i did I’m guilty of “slurping it down”? Wow bud, you’re not just pessimistic you are also pretty cynical, i’d hate to live life like that.

Either way, i’d rather be guilty of trusting a reputable source than to get on here day after day being negative like you just for the sake of the attention it gets you on here. By the way, dont you think you’re a little old to run around on this board and act like a 13 year old drama queen?
Yeah, I'm cynical. But I'd rather be cynical than naive. Far less costly, for one thing.

I'm not sure who your "reputable source" is. If it's U of L, fagetaboutit. If it's the newspaper, they're just reporting what THEY were told. If it's an editorial, send it to me so I can read it (besides WDRB which I've read...)

And I'm not negative for the sake of attention, because I don't care what people think about me. I trusted by now that I wouldn't have to remind someone of that...

Yeah, I'm cynical. But I'd rather be cynical than naive. Far less costly, for one thing.

I'm not sure who your "reputable source" is. If it's U of L, fagetaboutit. If it's the newspaper, they're just reporting what THEY were told. If it's an editorial, send it to me so I can read it (besides WDRB which I've read...)

And I'm not negative for the sake of attention, because I don't care what people think about me. I trusted by now that I wouldn't have to remind someone of that...

Man you are both cynical and naive, especially the latter. We are talking about something so trivial it really doesnt deserve this must attention, but you like the attention so you’ll let something as small as a personal donation made by Tyra have you so absorbed that you cant stand it because for whatever reason you dislike the guy. Were you tight with Jurich? Did he give you free tickets, invite you to attend banquets, were you in his suites during UofL games? Now, maybe Vince isn’t doing the same?

And it’s definately not a stretch to say that 93.9 is a reputable source. So if they say Vince Tyra made a donation of his personal money why wouldnt i believe it? Most of those guys at that station have press credentials to attend press conferences, so they should be pretty danged reputable when it comes to reporting what comes out of UofL.

Reactions: Art79
Simply stated, I don't like fake accomplishments. Sure, I'm grateful for more money. But the news that was lost or suppressed is that we lost another big donor this week. Planet Fitness has long been a supporter, and I'm glad that support continues. Like the Lynns and Papa Johns before them, we've lost another big corporate sponsor in Yum! Brands.

Excuse me if I don't see that as a legit accomplishment...

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Simply stated, I don't like fake accomplishments. Sure, I'm grateful for more money. But the news that was lost or suppressed is that we lost another big donor this week. Planet Fitness has long been a supporter, and I'm glad that support continues. Like the Lynns and Papa Johns before them, we've lost another big corporate sponsor in Yum! Brands.

Excuse me if I don't see that as a legit accomplishment...[/QUOTE
How much did Jurich and his family members on UL payroll ever give back? Jurich and Ramsey shook down the University for millions with their secret deals.

Any money is good money. Zipp likes to report that the donor community has dried up. Planet Fitness has donated twice before under TJ’s reign. To have them come back again with Vince not only shows their commitment to the university, it also shows they believe our athletic department is continuing to move forward with Vince.

How much did Jurich and his family members on UL payroll ever give back? Jurich and Ramsey shook down the University for millions with their secret deals.
Their jobs are not to "give back". It's to EARN money for U of L. Unless he turns out to be T. Boone Pickens, I don't give a damn how much money "Vince" gives U of L. That's a fanboy mentality. And again unless he's T. Boone, "Vince" will never give enough money to offset what U of L is losing under his watch.

If those guys "shook down U of L for millions", why haven't they been criminally prosecuted? Why did U of L just settle with Jurich? Why haven't they already obtained a judgment against Ramsey? You know, some facts that need to be reconciled with your POV...

Any money is good money. Zipp likes to report that the donor community has dried up. Planet Fitness has donated twice before under TJ’s reign. To have them come back again with Vince not only shows their commitment to the university, it also shows they believe our athletic department is continuing to move forward with Vince.
It shows me that "Vince" has managed to hang onto one big donor...

Man, I really see it all so clearly now. You and Vince went to the same grade school and he used to beat your little nerd self down.

Their jobs are not to "give back". It's to EARN money for U of L. Unless he turns out to be T. Boone Pickens, I don't give a damn how much money "Vince" gives U of L. That's a fanboy mentality. And again unless he's T. Boone, "Vince" will never give enough money to offset what U of L is losing under his watch.

If those guys "shook down U of L for millions", why haven't they been criminally prosecuted? Why did U of L just settle with Jurich? Why haven't they already obtained a judgment against Ramsey? You know, some facts that need to be reconciled with your POV...

No one ever said the job of an ad was to give back. Also, one is not a fanboy because they recognize someone’s donation to the school they work for. Again, you’re trying to demonize something that should be looked at with great respect and honor. Give it up. You’ve been bloodied and battered in this thread, just throw in the towel and go hijack another one.

No one ever said the job of an ad was to give back. Also, one is not a fanboy because they recognize someone’s donation to the school they work for. Again, you’re trying to demonize something that should be looked at with great respect and honor. Give it up. You’ve been bloodied and battered in this thread, just throw in the towel and go hijack another one.
Pizza Guy gave a lotta money to U of L...

Well if I heard something on 93.9 and something reported by the CJ (Which I never read) I’ll trust 93.9 every time. We know for a fact the CJ slants everything to make UofL or anyone associated with UofL look bad. Can’t wait for that dinosaur to go away!

Of course, I gotta remember that you think advertisers see downsides to advertising their name on a product...
Maybe they think they get more bang for the buck elsewhere, and don’t need to have their names on 2 UofL basketball facilities. Actually, I never understood why they did that in the first place.

Maybe they think they get more bang for the buck elsewhere, and don’t need to have their names on 2 UofL basketball facilities. Actually, I never understood why they did that in the first place.
Maybe a lotta things...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT