ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra Doing His Homework

CardVille

2500+
May 29, 2001
Gleaned from his interview:

*Comparing candidates to see who did more with less
*Checking to see how many penalties a candidates team had to measure discipline
*Checking their rosters to see how many kids from Florida, Georgia and other hot recruiting areas

Love it!
You go Vince!

I will freely admit I had serious concerns about him especially after I found out he played baseball at UofK, but he's growing on me. He knocked it out of the park with coach Chris Mack, and we may have just dodged a bad hire since Brohm was going to be the guy, but was afraid to accept the challenge. We don't need anyone leading this football program who is afraid.

If you are looking at Head Coaches, Mike Leach checks at least two of those criteria, immediately. He has done a lot more with a lot less at Texas Tech and Washington State, going from obscurity to the Top 10 at both schools. He is an offensive savant.
In addition to his resume’, he has the type of personality to rebuild and cleanse a toxic culture. He also has the charisma the energize the fan base. I have no doubt that he can attract recruits from Florida, Georgia, and “locally”.

I would love to have Leach but I dont think he is interested in us. I dont want to chase anybody who has not expressed interest in us ala Brohm.

The more I look at Mike Leach’s resume’ the more impressed I am. You look at his former assistants, who are now HC: Lincoln Riley OU, Dana Holgorsen WVU, Seth Littrell N. Texas, Sonny Dykes SMU...pretty good list. (Kliff Kingsbury, Neal Brown, Lincoln Riley, and Josh Huepel played for Leach and went on to be HC)

*Checking their rosters to see how many kids from Florida, Georgia and other hot recruiting areas

Love it!
You go Vince!

And that screams Satterfield...a lot of that roster is from Florida at App State

Love it!
You go Vince!

It's about time...should have done that before he bungled the Jeff Brohm situation.

Tyra has no track record hiring a football coach. Any confidence you have in him is unfounded. I'd argue he got Strike One against him yesterday...

Tyra has no track record hiring a football coach. Any confidence you have in him is unfounded. I'd argue he got Strike One against him yesterday...

Yeah I understand that you would “argue he got Strike One against him yesterday”, but I’m of the mind that Jeff Brohm simply paid a courtesy to Vince Tyra to get Purdue’s attention as to how much he was worth going forward. Tyra simply did what the fanbase wanted him to do, go after Jeff Brohm with a valid offer. And that’s exactly what he did. If Jeff had really been interested in the UofL job then we’d be having a totally different conversation today. I’d say that Vince is doing a good job and that he will get a guy that is fully vetted and accomplished enough to be our new head coach. But WTH this is simply my own opinion.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Tyra's job is to manage expectations, chart his course, and arrive at his destination. On those counts, he failed miserably with the Brohm debacle. There's no other way to look at it except to rationalize things about Brohm you have no way of knowing...

We have a winner!

Tyra's job is to manage expectations, chart his course, and arrive at his destination. On those counts, he failed miserably with the Brohm debacle. There's no other way to look at it except to rationalize things about Brohm you have no way of knowing...

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
The more I look at Mike Leach’s resume’ the more impressed I am. You look at his former assistants, who are now HC: Lincoln Riley OU, Dana Holgorsen WVU, Seth Littrell N. Texas, Sonny Dykes SMU...pretty good list. (Kliff Kingsbury, Neal Brown, Lincoln Riley, and Josh Huepel played for Leach and went on to be HC)
Mike Leach is a wild card. Very difficult to manage and very independent. With all of that said, he can coach.

Funny on the two guys that liked this. Zipp, that should tell you something!

Reactions: CardinalJohn
He's dead wrong on VT! What has he done wrong. Thrown into a hornet's nest and extended the contracts on 3 successful areas of the athletic program and hired our #1 target for basketball. And fired an underperforming coach with ridiculous terms leftover from previous leadership. What am I missing?

He's dead wrong on VT! What has he done wrong. Thrown into a hornet's nest and extended the contracts on 3 successful areas of the athletic program and hired our #1 target for basketball. And fired an underperforming coach with ridiculous terms leftover from previous leadership. What am I missing?

^^^^
This...extended McDonnell and Walz and got Chris Mack. Purdue is paying Brohm at least $6 Million and God Bless Brohm On what he was able to do with his new deal.

Reactions: Art79
Assuming I'm the "he" first referenced...

"Vince" extended coaches who were hired by Jurich. You're citing fake accomplishments. He hired Mack for 80% of what Pitino was being paid, a guy who's been to one Elite Eight. Of course, that was an easy hire.

And "Vince" got rid of Petrino by paying $14 million. I don't usually commend people for simply spending money. My guess is Jurich could have cleaned up that mess for a lot less.

So far, "Vince" isn't carrying his predecessor's jock...

And he doesn't get any credit for keeping McDonnell from going to Miss St or Walz to Tennessee? And Mack had previous offers from some pretty solid schools. I get there were lots of ties to Louisville, family-wise, but at the end of the day he closed the deal.

Why did he have to pay $14m for a coach that no one was coming after?

Reactions: STLNBSE
And he doesn't get any credit for keeping McDonnell from going to Miss St or Walz to Tennessee? And Mack had previous offers from some pretty solid schools. I get there were lots of ties to Louisville, family-wise, but at the end of the day he closed the deal.

Why did he have to pay $14m for a coach that no one was coming after?
I gave "Vince" proper credit for fighting off MSU for McDonnell. Walz wasn't going anywhere; hell, he went out and hired an agent. I could also remark about a coincidence that McDonnell now starts flirting with another school, but I won't.

Petrino's buyout was average for other coaches of his rank. They all have buyouts; that's a false narrative. And in 2016 when his last contract was signed, no one was questioning the wisdom of that contract. No one. It's all revisionist thinking. And Tyra didn't negotiate one dime's reduction in that buyout--we're paying 100% of it. Thank the AD for that...

Its possible people were unaware of Petrino's updated contract terms at that time.

I wasnt.

To be clear I don't have a strong opinion on any of it.

I'm down with O.P.P. but not O.P.$.

Zipp, we can agree to disagree. I've seen enough of your posts to know your loayalty lies to TJ and I get it, he did a lot for UL. I, also appreciate everything he did around here the last 20 years, but am also very appreciative of the job Tyra has done since being in position. Hopefully, one day we all as cards fans can unite and support the program from all angles.

Reactions: Art79
Just a thought,but if a coordinator is chosen,he will be able to build his own staff from position coaches and/or coordinators from whomever would be interested. Finding position coaches that have had great success recruiting somewhere like, say Florida,could make for a strong formula. We have to have guys that already have their footprints down South.

"Vince" extended coaches who were hired by Jurich. You're citing fake accomplishments. He hired Mack for 80% of what Pitino was being paid, a guy who's been to one Elite Eight. Of course, that was an easy hire.

And "Vince" got rid of Petrino by paying $14 million. I don't usually commend people for simply spending money. My guess is Jurich could have cleaned up that mess for a lot less.

Vince’s predecessor also presided over the athletic department during the two largest NCAA scandals the university has endured, one that led to the first time the NCAA ever “vacated” a basketball title. It will take the program a long time to get past those stains. Vince’s predecessor also thumbed his nose at the NCAA several times (e.g. Clint Hurt), hired a coach (Petrino) with serious previous scandals, ignored serious misbehavior by the lacrosse coach which nearly decimated that program, over-expanded the football stadium, bid only against himself on Petrino’s buyout, etc. He rehired Petrino knowing the discipline failures that occurred the first time, and apparently put nothing in place to stop a similar breakdown the second time. Yes, the program has many new and excellent facilities and also made it to the ACC under his leadership, it would be foolish to not acknowledge that, but it is equally follish to pretend that his tenure was perfect. With the exception of missing out on Brohm, which based on Brohm’s statement may not have been possible no matter what Vince did, he has done a very good job for the past year

Mike Leach is a wild card. Very difficult to manage and very independent. With all of that said, he can coach.
If we could somehow Mike Leach....then well....that trumps Brohm. I don't think we can but G D that would be freaking awesome. He's the king of rebuilds. That would be anhomerun and that would move the damn needle like no other

You’d argue anything that was anti-Tyra, and twist any circumstance or any set of facts to attack the guy. Your hate for “Vince” borders on pathology. I’m kind of neutral on him as I think he is just a bridge to a real AD, but your unrelenting negativity is sort of pushing me into his corner.
  1. HE DID NOT FIRE JURICH.
  2. He did not negotiate the payout to Tom.
  3. He did not fire Pitino
  4. He did fire Bobby, which was necessary due to the total collapse of the program.
If you don’t like the “clown show” that’s fine. I don’t either. But they are almost all gone, and it’s not fair to gang them around Tyra’s neck.

I am not going to give a final opinion of this until we find out who is going to take the job. I think we are way behind where we should be on replacing Petrino. Georgia Tech just announced the retirement of their coach and they already have a replacement. I hope this doesn’t continue to drag out much longer everybody will start laughing at us like they did with Tennessee.

If he didn’t attempt to lure Brohm this fan base would have lit him on fire.

Vince’s predecessor also presided over the athletic department during the two largest NCAA scandals the university has endured, one that led to the first time the NCAA ever “vacated” a basketball title. It will take the program a long time to get past those stains. Vince’s predecessor also thumbed his nose at the NCAA several times (e.g. Clint Hurt), hired a coach (Petrino) with serious previous scandals, ignored serious misbehavior by the lacrosse coach which nearly decimated that program, over-expanded the football stadium, bid only against himself on Petrino’s buyout, etc. He rehired Petrino knowing the discipline failures that occurred the first time, and apparently put nothing in place to stop a similar breakdown the second time. Yes, the program has many new and excellent facilities and also made it to the ACC under his leadership, it would be foolish to not acknowledge that, but it is equally follish to pretend that his tenure was perfect. With the exception of missing out on Brohm, which based on Brohm’s statement may not have been possible no matter what Vince did, he has done a very good job for the past year
I can list Jurich's accomplishments over 20 years if you want. No one ever said he was perfect, but his accomplishments overwhelmed his failures.

"Vince" kept McDonnell, and that's the extent of his successes. He's bestowed with a lotta fake achievements by his supporters which he shouldn't need if he's legit. Losing Brohm was a huge blunder, and our athletics finances are a disaster.

It's true that "Vince" is less than two years into the job. There's little I've seen to expect big stuff in the future...

You’d argue anything that was anti-Tyra, and twist any circumstance or any set of facts to attack the guy. Your hate for “Vince” borders on pathology... If you don’t like the “clown show” that’s fine. I don’t either. But they are almost all gone, and it’s not fair to gang them around Tyra’s neck.
I argue that compartmentalization is a form of insanity. One part of the brain ain't properly wired to another.

You don't like the clown show, the clown show hires "Vince", but somehow despite those characteristics and relationships, "Vince" is OK.

My way of looking at the world is that your insanity trumps mine...

Why should he carry his predecessors jock? Wouldn't that would knock you out of the job.

Reactions: Art79 and Rockfly78
I am not going to give a final opinion of this until we find out who is going to take the job. I think we are way behind where we should be on replacing Petrino. Georgia Tech just announced the retirement of their coach and they already have a replacement. I hope this doesn’t continue to drag out much longer everybody will start laughing at us like they did with Tennessee.
It's possible that "Vince" could fall into poop and come out smelling better. I kinda doubt it but...

giphy.gif

Love it!
You go Vince!

That's why I mentioned Rich-Rod in another thread!

1. He had to recruit to Morgantown for God's Sake!!!
2. Ran a tight ship at WVU
3. Lived in Florida and Georgia, as well as the Tidewater/Virginia Beach and Baltimore/D.C. areas recruiting. Also had a few good HS contacts from Alabama, New Jersey and Ohio.

I know, I know...You're going to say he failed at Michigan...But I say he faced the same situation there that Charlie faced at Texas...Major Boosters at both didn't want them there!!!

Now...He's won Three New Years Day Bowls while at WVU...And he KNOWS how to BEAT Clemson and Georgia...BOTH in New Years Day Bowls...Something Bobby NEVER did in either the regular season, or the bowl season!!!

:cool:

I can list Jurich's accomplishments over 20 years if you want. No one ever said he was perfect, but his accomplishments overwhelmed his failures.

"Vince" kept McDonnell, and that's the extent of his successes. He's bestowed with a lotta fake achievements by his supporters which he shouldn't need if he's legit. Losing Brohm was a huge blunder, and our athletics finances are a disaster.

It's true that "Vince" is less than two years into the job. There's little I've seen to expect big stuff in the future...

Yeah, Tyra is less than two months into the job, actually only about 13 months, or more like barely over a year. Why do you have to exaggerate even about that?

Anyway, I’m sure you would have criticized Tyra no matter how things turned out with Brohm. If he got him, you would have said he paid too much and then cited some metrics to prove that. At this point, I take both Brohm and Tyra at their word and simply accept that it wasn’t going to happen, and so I say let’s move on. Do you have some specific information about a mis-step on Tyra’s part that killed the possibility of a deal?

So, how about you get out in front on the search now… Who would be your preferred candidate? What would be a good hire? And please don’t bring up something ridiculous like Bob Stoops. It’ll be easy for you to criticize anyone after the fact, so what do you think right now? And what would a successful new coach’s win total look like over the next 5 years? Maybe 4 wins next season, then 5, 6, 7, 9 over the following years? Whatever it is, I would love to hear it now. Because you are so opposed to Tyra, I’m sure that if you wait until after the fact, you’ll come up with some metric to prove that whoever he hires and whatever success they have, that it wasn’t enough and that Jurich would have gotten something better.

Finally, I think it’s strange that you have now chosen on multiple occasions to put Vince’s name in quotes in response to some of my and other's posts. I’ve merely been calling him “Vince” in following-up on someone else's post where they called him that. I’ll be glad to call him Tyra, but I find your use of the quotes oddly childish.

Watching zipp deepthroat TJ never gets old to me. Does it to you guys?
Yes....it is so warn out. Anyone who cant see that we have an AD to be proud of and is filled with class is clueless. UofL is starting to be something we can be proud of again, thanks to Tyra, Mack , Walz, Mcdonnel and whomever they bring in as football coach.

Its a breath of fresh air for most of us, Zipp doesnt get to breathe the fresh air....well because, like you said, his throat is full.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT