ADVERTISEMENT

Trinity football coach retires

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
They’re supposed to announce tomorrow that Trinity Head football coach Bob Beatty is retiring. I hope the new coach will have continued success but Trinity loses a lot of players this year.

254-44, 15 state titles, 17 state title appearances. I know Trinity recruits, as do other privates, and there's an unfair advantage with the pool from which they field a team, but those stats are damn impressive. Those are "build him a statue" numbers.

Reactions: rh62531
His mom died several years and left him lots of money. It's pretty impressive that he cont'd to coach, but did not have to. Time to have fun now.
Good for him. I hope he enjoys it and doesn’t miss FB a bit.

I know too many who have waited to retire and didn’t get to enjoy it.

When Trinity hired Coach Beatty they did a nation wide search and they received resumes from every state in the union including Alaska and Hawaii. I expect them to do the same thing this time around. All schools recruit including the public schools the advantage the private schools have is that they have more to offer.

When Trinity hired Coach Beatty they did a nation wide search and they received resumes from every state in the union including Alaska and Hawaii. I expect them to do the same thing this time around. All schools recruit including the public schools the advantage the private schools have is that they have more to offer.
For the umpteenth time - in terms of recruiting as is defined by the collegiate level - public schools don’t recruit. For that matter - neither do privates. Kids either have the tuition to go where they want, or they are eligible for tuition assistance. Tuition assistance is administered by a national third part company and is only available on a financial need basis. Private schools do not make the determination.

I guess your idea of recruiting is totally different from the standard definition of recruiting. When a member of a coaching staff from a school reaches out to a player and his family and offers them playing time and other perks that is recruiting. Coach Redman while at Male was great at it.

Public school kids go to the school in their assigned district. They can go to a school outside of their district if the school they want to go to offers a class that the other school doesn’t. That even includes wood shop and it is done every year.

I guess your idea of recruiting is totally different from the standard definition of recruiting. When a member of a coaching staff from a school reaches out to a player and his family and offers them playing time and other perks that is recruiting. Coach Redman while at Male was great at it.

Public school kids go to the school in their assigned district. They can go to a school outside of their district if the school they want to go to offers a class that the other school doesn’t. That even includes wood shop and it is done every year.
Well, the typical way the term recruiting is used - particularly against Trinity or other privates - is that those schools are paying some or all of the tuition costs for kids to come there based upon their athletic prowess. You know - kinda like colleges do.

Any JCPS student can apply to attend a magnet school, regardless of curriculum, including wood shop - lol. College prep schools - Manual, Male and all of the privates - have an entrance exam to determine if the student is academically able to thrive.

A coach saying to a kid, “we’d love to have you playing (insert name of sport here) at (insert name of school here) isn’t what I would call recruiting. You obviously have a different take.

I don’t think it has anything to do with paying their way. It had more to do with going to a program where you can play and get recognized by college recruiters. When I went to Trinity we had students from different backgrounds that received tuition assistance. I would say about 98% of them did not play sports. A lot of kids from Boys Haven went to Trinity. When Redman was coaching Male he had kids from out of Jefferson County playing football there.

I don’t think it has anything to do with paying their way. It had more to do with going to a program where you can play and get recognized by college recruiters. When I went to Trinity we had students from different backgrounds that received tuition assistance. I would say about 98% of them did not play sports. A lot of kids from Boys Haven went to Trinity. When Redman was coaching Male he had kids from out of Jefferson County playing football there.
If you’re good enough - colleges will find you no matter where you play. Waggener for example - no football powerhouse by any stretch - had two D1 commitments in 2019. Of course there are students who don’t participate in athletics who receive tuition assistance - it’s a need based thing. It being need based - and not having anything to do with whether a kid is a good athlete was pretty much my point. It’s like you didn’t even read my post and yet responded to it.

Kids and their families will occasionally lie about their address to go to a school outside of their district - like JC kids lying to go to OC schools. Some of that crap has stopped with those parents being prosecuted as they should be.

All I know is my daughter was "recruited'' by two public high schools. I received calls directly from coaches asking for her services. (She went to the one that she felt she best fit in with)

I had 3 nephews recruited by public schools, they all lived in St. Matthews and none of the schools recruiting them were in their district. However your definition of recruiting is different from mine.

This is my last post on the subject. My comment about recruiting was specifically in response to the tired argument that private schools - like Trinity - provide tuition assistance for athletes regardless of their financial need. In those examples, the word “recruiting” is connoted with wrongdoing. I have no problem - nor should anyone - with a coach telling an athlete that they would love to have them in their program. Nor do I have a problem - again, nor should anyone else - with an athlete choosing a school that is the best fit for them provided that it is done within the rules of the school system and the khsaa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT