ADVERTISEMENT

Trending: Petrino new QB coach at Missouri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Unable to confirm at this time. <EDIT> He's in Columbia serving as an observer. The connection is Garrick McGee. He's their WR coach.<EDIT Part II> He's not their new QB coach.

Last edited:
I don’t see Petrino taking anything other than a HC job. His ego won’t allow it.

Which Petrino was this rumor about? I think Bobby will make a strong OC for a top tier team when the right position opens up. I haven't followed him as closely as others though, does he have any "done coaching" quotes out there?

Speaking of which, that's now the narrative--our former coaches couldn't get P5 jobs. Because it's obvious they've risen above the level of worst coaching staff ever assembled.

I never really got involved with the recap/evaluation of the staff conversation cause I ain't gonna lie, I don't know enough about all the things that go into the sport and coaching of it... I will say I was on record early in the season saying keep Bobby, I admit it! Thought he could get the team to improve, even after the slow start....I was wrong!

And I will ask...

Are the narratives you're "analyzing" really all that different? Worst ever staff or can't get P5 jobs? Both narratives are in the same bucket really. Some degree of suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: vegasville1
I think their is only 1 coach at a power 5 school. His former OC, McGee, is now a WR coach. You have to admit his former staff members weren't very good. The better ones ran away, Dennison, Fields, Buckley and Grantham all couldn't get away fast enough. Satterfiled has a better coaching network than Petrino and it isn't even close.

In my opinion the first thing an AD should look at when would hiring a coach is his coaching tree. Head coach wise looking only at wins can be misleading. Your coaching tree tells the story. You have one or no branches on that tree that is a major red flag. No assistant wants to work for a coach that doesn't develop his assistants. Then I look to see how his assistants did when they became head coaches. Coaches that have large tree will always have people that want to work with that coach.

The ultimate coaching tree is Bill B with the Patriots, but Parcells was a huge factor in his development. There is no one in college basketball with a better coaching tree than Pitinio with Coach K being on his heals.
Saban and Swinney is obvious. As quirky as Leach is he has a pretty big coaching tree. Satterfiled has a good network considering he was at App St.

Last edited:
Reactions: Villebandit
Think they were talking about Nick Petrino..

I don't see him getting anything above a high school assistant position..

Nick Petrino did get hired recently by UT Martin. Co-offensive Coor/Running backs.

Reactions: zipp
Nick Petrino did get hired recently by UT Martin. Co-offensive Coor/Running backs.
Well, I stand corrected...And I'm very surprised he would get a position even close to that..

Good luck to him...And UT Martin.

Lonnie Galloway who was co-offensive coordinator got the WR job at UNC. Kolby Smith who was running back coach got the same gig at Rutgers.

2 are unemployed still and 5 got hired at non-P5 jobs, including Nick Petrino who got hired at a struggling FCS school.

Where these coaches landed is solid supporting evidence for the lack of quality of the staff relative to the conference affiliation and the cumulative pay they received at UofL. Even fans with the most subjectively odd agendas and/or passing knowledge of football can see how deficient our 2018 staff was.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Even fans with the most subjectively odd agendas and/or passing knowledge of football can see how deficient our 2018 staff was.
What does it then say - in your opinion - about those individuals who can’t seem to identify that basic fact?

I never really got involved with the recap/evaluation of the staff conversation cause I ain't gonna lie, I don't know enough about all the things that go into the sport and coaching of it... I will say I was on record early in the season saying keep Bobby, I admit it! Thought he could get the team to improve, even after the slow start....I was wrong!

And I will ask...

Are the narratives you're "analyzing" really all that different? Worst ever staff or can't get P5 jobs? Both narratives are in the same bucket really. Some degree of suck.
Nor am I a coaching expert, nor are many here. That simply stops people honest about their abilities from making ridiculous comments.

There's quite a spectrum between "worst staff ever assembled" and able to land a P5 job. Particularly if that P5 expectation is based in what someone fired can accomplish in a few months.

Not that I'm wishing misfortune on anyone, but I'd kinda like to see the average Joe in this space get fired and land an equivalent job in the same time frame. I wonder how many of our coaching experts here could do that?...

Last edited:
I think their is only 1 coach at a power 5 school. His former OC, McGee, is now a WR coach. You have to admit his former staff members weren't very good. The better ones ran away, Dennison, Fields, Buckley and Grantham all couldn't get away fast enough. Satterfiled has a better coaching network than Petrino and it isn't even close.

In my opinion the first thing an AD should look at when would hiring a coach is his coaching tree. Head coach wise looking only at wins can be misleading. Your coaching tree tells the story. You have one or no branches on that tree that is a major red flag. No assistant wants to work for a coach that doesn't develop his assistants. Then I look to see how his assistants did when they became head coaches. Coaches that have large tree will always have people that want to work with that coach.

The ultimate coaching tree is Bill B with the Patriots, but Parcells was a huge factor in his development. There is no one in college basketball with a better coaching tree than Pitinio with Coach K being on his heals.
Saban and Swinney is obvious. As quirky as Leach is he has a pretty big coaching tree. Satterfiled has a good network considering he was at App St.
You're not gonna find many coaching staffs fired at the end of one season landing equivalent jobs to start the next. I know because I asked that question previously and got ONE example where two-thirds of the assistants did indeed take a step down.

The narrative only worked here because no one gets asked for that kinda data. Ain't that strange?...

I think it says that they cling desperately to indefensible narratives because they can’t stand the thought of being wrong...or they think we are talking about futbol.
Maybe you should rely on better analytics and less on psycho-analytics, that you're really unqualified to perform anyway?...

There's quite a spectrum between "worst staff ever assembled" and able to land a P5 job. Particularly if that P5 expectation is based in what someone fired can accomplish in a few months.

"Worst ever", "Awful", "Regressing", "Sad", "Can't Lead", "Really bad", "Not good", "Over-paid", "Horrible", "Tough to watch", "Worst I've ever seen", "Pitiful", "Embarrassing", "Below Average", "Shitty", "Should retire" , "Need to resign", "Resigned while on the clock", "Failure", "Inept", "Unqualified", "Can't get it done at this level", "Won't ever be good again", "Nobody would want this guy", "Nobody would want that guy either", "Nobody wants ANY of these guys", "This guy has no future", "That guy's best days are in the past".... etc....

I mean, all these things don't mean the exact same thing,....but it's all in the same negative neighborhood - the spectrum ain't all that wide really. Some descriptions a little more extreme than others.

When somebody says they just ate the best meal they've ever had, they are probably exaggerating. But what is likely true is, the meal was really good.

When somebody says they are drinking the strongest mixed drink they've ever had, that may not be true either. But it's also likely true the drink was strong.

When somebody says the staff of a team that won 1 game is one of the worst they've ever seen, I dunno, maybe it is? It may not be though. But what we are probably sure of, the staff was bad.

You're not gonna find many coaching staffs fired at the end of one season landing equivalent jobs to start the next. I know because I asked that question previously and got ONE example where two-thirds of the assistants did indeed take a step down.

That's probably true I'd agree with that. Especially when the firings are more than likely correlated to W/L and not other outside factors being part of the removal.

Sounds like you agree with the guys you are arguing with then. They said the prior staff wouldn't get P5 jobs and you are saying that's the standard in the industry after being let go by a prior employer.

"Worst ever", "Awful", "Regressing", "Sad", "Can't Lead", "Really bad", "Not good", "Over-paid", "Horrible", "Tough to watch", "Worst I've ever seen", "Pitiful", "Embarrassing", "Below Average", "Shitty", "Should retire" , "Need to resign", "Resigned while on the clock", "Failure", "Inept", "Unqualified", "Can't get it done at this level", "Won't ever be good again", "Nobody would want this guy", "Nobody would want that guy either", "Nobody wants ANY of these guys", "This guy has no future", "That guy's best days are in the past".... etc....

I mean, all these things don't mean the exact same thing,....but it's all in the same negative neighborhood - the spectrum ain't all that wide really. Some descriptions a little more extreme than others..
Let's use an actual example... A guy above compared one former coach to a "high school assistant." Then he backtracked when he was reminded that the same coach got a better job, but still a job that isn't a P5 assistant.

SO, that example indicates there's quite a span between P5 and the "worst" jobs available. And that's not my analysis. Truth be told, the fallout from last season was that all of these coaches were the lowest of the low. Now, that narrative has morphed, and for good reason as one after one they each land better jobs than that.
...Sounds like you agree with the guys you are arguing with then. They said the prior staff wouldn't get P5 jobs and you are saying that's the standard in the industry after being let go by a prior employer.
No, I don't agree with most of 'em just because these coaches are landing about where I would have guessed. The difference is I didn't have to change my stripes or fake amnesia to be right about that...

Nor am I a coaching expert, nor are many here. That simply stops people honest about their abilities from making ridiculous comments.

Not that I'm wishing misfortune on anyone, but I'd kinda like to see the average Joe in this space get fired and land an equivalent job in the same time frame. I wonder how many of our coaching experts here could do that?...

Why continually get hung up on the "worst staff assembled" comment that was probably made by a few posters at most. If you ask if fans thought the staff sucked, you'd get a ton of people who agree and have said that. The results back that up though so its really hard to argue. What is your point to all this anyhow? Unless you don't think Petrino needed to go, why does it matter?

Becoming a P5 QB coach at Missouri isn't some huge sign that the staff and Petrino weren't terrible fwiw. Going from a P5 HC to a midlevel P5 assistant job doesn't make me doubt at all that Petrino should have been fired.

Why continually get hung up on the "worst staff assembled" comment that was probably made by a few posters at most. If you ask if fans thought the staff sucked, you'd get a ton of people who agree and have said that. The results back that up though so its really hard to argue. What is your point to all this anyhow? Unless you don't think Petrino needed to go, why does it matter?

Becoming a P5 QB coach at Missouri isn't some huge sign that the staff and Petrino weren't terrible fwiw. Going from a P5 HC to a midlevel P5 assistant job doesn't make me doubt at all that Petrino should have been fired.

He’s hung up on the “worst staff assembled” because it’s a straw man. The narrative he got so up in arms about was one in which I said the staff wasn’t ACC quality and was overpaid. The facts support them being neither of those so he made a pivot into this straw man.

No, I don't agree with most of 'em just because these coaches are landing about where I would have guessed. The difference is I didn't have to change my stripes or fake amnesia to be right about that...

It sounds like they've landed where you and the other posters debating have expected. Seems like agreement from the cheap seats over here!

Last edited:

I mean, all these things don't mean the exact same thing,....but it's all in the same negative neighborhood - the spectrum ain't all that wide really. Some descriptions a little more extreme than others.

When somebody says they just ate the best meal they've ever had, they are probably exaggerating. But what is likely true is, the meal was really good.

When somebody says they are drinking the strongest mixed drink they've ever had, that may not be true either. But it's also likely true the drink was strong.

When somebody says the staff of a team that won 1 game is one of the worst they've ever seen, I dunno, maybe it is? It may not be though. But what we are probably sure of, the staff was bad.
Great post LMAO..!:cool:

Let's use an actual example... A guy above compared one former coach to a "high school assistant." Then he backtracked when he was reminded that the same coach got a better job, but still a job that isn't a P5 assistant.

I didn't back track anything, I was proven wrong and I admitted it. Something you should try sometime because whether you admit it or not, you're wrong a lot..

You're whitewashing the differences to make yourself feel better about then and now. No, the former coaches didn't "suck" because coaches who actually suck don't get other coaching jobs a few months after they get fired. That narrative was wrong then as it's proven to be now.

And it has nothing to do with the question of whether Petrino should have been fired except for the flawed argument that it was all about coaching ability...

I didn't back track anything, I was proven wrong and I admitted it. Something you should try sometime because whether you admit it or not, you're wrong a lot..
When you think that happens, you should point it out. And I'll explain where I'm not.

You see, I am occasionally wrong--but you're not the guy likely to find it. Nor are the people liking your posts. But it's still funny watching the effort...

It sounds like they've landed where you and the other posters debating have expected. Seems like agreement from the cheap seats over here!
You're right indeed about me, but mostly wrong about the "other posters". That's obviously why they're debating, as you say...

He’s hung up on the “worst staff assembled” because it’s a straw man. The narrative he got so up in arms about was one in which I said the staff wasn’t ACC quality and was overpaid. The facts support them being neither of those so he made a pivot into this straw man.
And for the record, you're still the only guy claiming a more nuanced narrative--and for sure the only one remembering it... :p

You're whitewashing the differences to make yourself feel better about then and now. No, the former coaches didn't "suck" because coaches who actually suck don't get other coaching jobs a few months after they get fired. That narrative was wrong then as it's proven to be now.

And it has nothing to do with the question of whether Petrino should have been fired except for the flawed argument that it was all about coaching ability...

I'm not whitewashing anything because I don't personally care if the former coaches got other jobs and going from a P5 job to a G5 job doesn't make me question whether firing them was the right move. Nick Petrino being the QB coach at UT Martin means little to me. That is the type of job he should have started at in the 1st place.

I don't think every coach on the old staff individually sucked but as a collective unit they were terrible and produced a terrible season. When you underperfom the way that staff did then people start to ask questions. A big one was always going to be why there were 3 Petrino relatives on the staff who had little to no coaching experience. Louisville isn't the type of job where we should be training assistants. There are always exceptions that many guys on one roster was a huge red flag.

How can you argue that it has nothing to do with whether or not Pitino and his staff needed to go? Either you believe they deserved to go or you didn't. If you believed it was time to let them go then we are splitting hairs on the adjective used to describe how bad they did. If they deserved to stay that is a different argument and probably one that was going to be difficult to support.

You can argue that the firing was a power move by Tyra but Petrino opened the door for that move. If he doesn't tank then we aren't having this conversation cause there is nothing anyone can do to him.

And for the record, you're still the only guy claiming a more nuanced narrative--and for sure the only one remembering it... :p

Simply not true Zipp… I, for one, remember the Hank’s consistent “narrative” on the assistant coach topic – that being that the coaching staff was simply not ACC caliber. And I’ve corrected you on that same point before. Go back and reread the disastrous thread that you started on that topic to refresh your own memory.

Anyway, when the most accomplished assistant on the staff, the defensive coordinator, secures only a position coach job at a low level G5 school, that should tell you all you need to know about your baseless argument. And you even seemed to understand this at one point, moving the goalposts on your own argument by saying that the status of the coaches could not truly be assessed until a couple of years later, at which point they would presumably have settled into their appropriate level. At best, you should let this one go and come back in a couple of years.

Simply not true Zipp… I, for one, remember the Hank’s consistent “narrative” on the assistant coach topic – that being that the coaching staff was simply not ACC caliber.

This is true Z. Hank hung his hat on what Art posted, from the beginning of weighing in on the topic of the staff.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
Simply not true Zipp… I, for one, remember the Hank’s consistent “narrative” on the assistant coach topic – that being that the coaching staff was simply not ACC caliber. And I’ve corrected you on that same point before. Go back and reread the disastrous thread that you started on that topic to refresh your own memory.

Anyway, when the most accomplished assistant on the staff, the defensive coordinator, secures only a position coach job at a low level G5 school, that should tell you all you need to know about your baseless argument. And you even seemed to understand this at one point, moving the goalposts on your own argument by saying that the status of the coaches could not truly be assessed until a couple of years later, at which point they would presumably have settled into their appropriate level. At best, you should let this one go and come back in a couple of years.
Knuckles is struggling to save himself like former Presidents have done who parsed words.

But he's insignificant because it doesn't matter what one guy thinks. I haven't pursued this agenda to prove knuckles wrong. It's about the 99% who claimed these coaches were garbage and 100% responsible for last year's spiral down. Of course, they're being proven wrong...

It's about the 99% who claimed these coaches were garbage and 100% responsible for last year's spiral down. Of course, they're being proven wrong...

Garbage - strong words!

Trying to figure out your position on coaching responsibility - when UofL basketball struggled late in the year, you stated "Mack lost the team" no hesitation - which seemed pretty clearly to be blaming Mack for the season nosedive. But maybe you were blaming the players. Or maybe you were blaming the coaching and the players. Perhaps you can clarify that - I know this is the football board.

If you're stating blame is to go around to players AND coaches, I think everybody would agree. But, ultimately one group is getting paid for their services, right?

Garbage - strong words!

Trying to figure out your position on coaching responsibility - when UofL basketball struggled late in the year, you stated "Mack lost the team" no hesitation - which seemed pretty clearly to be blaming Mack for the season nosedive. But maybe you were blaming the players. Or maybe you were blaming the coaching and the players. Perhaps you can clarify that - I know this is the football board.

If you're stating blame is to go around to players AND coaches, I think everybody would agree. But, ultimately one group is getting paid for their services, right?
And they're not my words...

My position on coaches and most of the variables in a complex situation really isn't that hard to figure out. Life ain't as simple as people try to make it that way and swear they know for sure. U of L football wasn't an epic failure last year just because of coaching. Or the caliber of coaches. (Those are two different things BTW...) If the coaches themselves were godawful as way too many claimed, they wouldn't be quickly landing coaching jobs elsewhere. Did they do a bad job last year?...Most likely. That obviously didn't mean they were unemployable as coaches, and the facts prove that.

And it wasn't all coaching. In fact, I think last year distilled down to a combination of issues that we may never fully understand or be told. THAT is why I push back against a narrative that we had coaches who suck. That's an oversimplification by people who want to target someone or something with an "analysis" that means almost nothing.

Speaking of Mack, he did a good job last year IMO. He was doing a great job until later in the season when he had problems, again for reasons I don't know. Maybe it was all about his players being p____s, that's certainly his POV. And the late season swoon wasn't all his fault. The schedule got tough, his players weren't as tough as we thought they were, and some probably had other things on their mind. The net of that was disappointment for most of us down the stretch. Another complicated situation without one answer, but Mack's coaching--or lack thereof at critical times--was one point for discussion...

I'm with Zipp, I think the former coaching staff was the greatest ever assembled, hell, I'm shocked they aren't all in the NFL considering the excellent job they did in 2018, Nick especially. That dude will one day be coach of the Atlanta Falcons he's so damn good! You know I'm being facetious Zipp so don't overanalyze like you are prone to do. This was for laughs and giggles. And I know you didn't say any of the above and if you say not to take me seriously, dag you got it! Later, got to go watch the draft so I can see more WKU players being drafted than UL thanks to lil bobbie p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT