ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Grantham.

G0exb_s-200x150.gif

Don’t confuse Kerry with facts - lol.

See you're drinking early.

For the millionth time Grantham SuCked at Georgia
SuCked last year at UofL. See Clemson, UH, SuCkS, LSU games.
Ran his mouth and was fired.

And you think Zipp is obsessed.
Carry on with your Grantham slurping...........

See you're drinking early.

For the millionth time Grantham SuCked at Georgia
SuCked last year at UofL. See Clemson, UH, SuCkS, LSU games.
Ran his mouth and was fired.

And you think Zipp is obsessed.
Carry on with your Grantham slurping...........
I said “lol”.

Lighten up Francis.

Reactions: American Male
By the way, Grantham once again calls a kamikaze blitz that Bama converts to set up the game winning TD.

He'll never learn. SMH.

By the way, Grantham once again calls a kamikaze blitz that Bama converts to set up the game winning TD.

He'll never learn. SMH.
Not a good call in that situation I agree. That said, the “kamikaze” blitz kept them in the game - particularly when the MSU offense couldn’t move the ball.

Say what you want about Grantham but if you understand football, that guy is to date the best DC Louisville has ever had. If you want to dispute that - bring some facts.

The key to defenses is getting that 'key stop'.
Also holding the other team scoreless when your offense sputters.

Knowing when to blitz is also key.
Being the best DC here won the Cards diddly squat.

The key to defenses is getting that 'key stop'.
Also holding the other team scoreless when your offense sputters.

Knowing when to blitz is also key.
Being the best DC here won the Cards diddly squat.
Lol - just how many “key stops” are there a game kerry?

The “key” to defenses is having the best players. (See Alabama’s multiple titles)

Also having an offense that doesn’t leave the defense exposed by being on the field for too many snaps (See Oregon’s zero titles)

Knowing how to predict the future is also a key in being a great DC. I mean - going with your team’s strength or the percentages against an opponent is worthless - unless of course it works - then it’s awesome and you’re a genius . Amirite?

Being the most vocal Monday morning QB/hater of Todd Grantham has won you what?

He is a really good coordinator and for that matter coach. His schemes make it tough on other teams it forces them to execute under pressure. He is very good against average offenses. He like almost every other defensive coach, including Saban, struggle against good offenses. He is high risk and high reward. His defensive system requires high end athletes. The reality is Louisville is never going to get enough of those kind of athletes. Never have never will.

Here is the thing everyone glosses over he isn't a good recruiter. Everyone is blaming Petrino for recruiting the reality is Grantham was paid to handle the entire defense. After 4 years under his watch they have no depth. That lack of depth showed last year. You can't scheme your way out of no depth.

The model to follow is that of Northwestern and Wisconsin. Both have solid systems that they recruit to and their players buy into. I think that is what Sirmon was referencing when he said you don't need great players to play great defense. It is all about building a defensive identity, effort, recruiting to it, and executing the game plan. The key for Louisville is they can't miss in recruiting. There are plenty of really good football players that aren't 4 and 5 stars find them and develop them.

...Everyone is blaming Petrino for recruiting the reality is Grantham was paid to handle the entire defense. After 4 years under his watch they have no depth. That lack of depth showed last year. You can't scheme your way out of no depth...
I keep reading these posts about our players collectively. And I go back and look at our recruiting rankings the last few years. Something doesn't square up...

I think class rankings are about right and a pretty good indicator. Louisville classes are in the mid 20's and low 30's. That tells me they were good but not great. The problem for Louisville is they missed on some guys especially on defense. There are playing multiple true freshman on defense. The previous staff whiffed on LB's, DL and corners depth wise. Clark, Stewart, Caban, and Staples all linebackers couldn't beat out a true freshman. Thomas went out they had no answers. They didn't land any high school Dline last year hence the complete rebuild next year. They don't have any one opposite of Alexander, no real depth. At safety they are playing a true freshman but I think there is some depth at that spot. Like many have said once the Strong defensive guys left there wasn't much to be excited about.

Bottom line not a bunch of NFL guys on defense.

Reactions: Mayoman
You can talk about one five-star we missed at a position, and it might sync up with recruiting class results. When you start talking about an entire squad (defense) or how we missed out on guys at multiple positions, you're gonna have to start questioning the rank for an entire class or classes. That's the only way your argument makes sense...

If you re-ranked classes, which is only true indicator of a class, the last four years the defensive recruits actual production would not be top 30. That was the great thing about Strong's classes. They were all very productive, rarely missed and initially under ranked. All these NFL guys were 3 stars, Pyror, Gaines, Brown, Rankins, Mauldin, and Smith. Then he had Kelsey who was a really good college player. Then he had 4 stars Burgess, Brown, Hearns, and Holliman. I am sure I am missing others.

You don't see that kind of talent on this defensive unit. Alexander and Thomas are pro's. Hearns and Young maybe pro's. I believe Thomas, Young and Hearns were Strong recruits. Most of Grantham's really good players were transfers. They had some coaching turnover, Buckley and Brown that could have impacted recruiting to. He didn't recruit to his system.

Offensively, the recruits the last 4 years would still be ranked pretty high maybe top 20. That isn't surprising when your head coach is an offensive guy.

If you re-ranked classes, which is only true indicator of a class, the last four years the defensive recruits actual production would not be top 30. That was the great thing about Strong's classes. They were all very productive, rarely missed and initially under ranked. All these NFL guys were 3 stars, Pyror, Gaines, Brown, Rankins, Mauldin, and Smith. Then he had Kelsey who was a really good college player. Then he had 4 stars Burgess, Brown, Hearns, and Holliman. I am sure I am missing others.

You don't see that kind of talent on this defensive unit. Alexander and Thomas are pro's. Hearns and Young maybe pro's. I believe Thomas, Young and Hearns were Strong recruits. Most of Grantham's really good players were transfers. They had some coaching turnover, Buckley and Brown that could have impacted recruiting to. He didn't recruit to his system.

Offensively, the recruits the last 4 years would still be ranked pretty high maybe top 20. That isn't surprising when your head coach is an offensive guy.
Definitely losing T-Buck hurt recruiting. He figured out rather early he’d rather not work for petrino.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Total defense stats the last four years (YTD for 2017):

YEAR....RANK.....YPG....D-COORDINATOR
2014.........6........308.5.........Grantham
2015........18.......332.8.........Grantham
2016........14.......322.2.........Grantham
2017........82.......410.1...........Sirmon

Sorry, there's a one-year "trend" in that data. And it it has little to do with who was on the roster...

Sorry, there's a one-year "trend" in that data. And it it has little to do with who was on the roster...

And here you go.

cowbelljpg-848ae987e53a2482_large.jpg

Au contraire....it has a lot to do with who was on the roster. Players play the game.

One observation is that each year, more and more of Strong's recruits graduated and were replaced with Grantham's/Petrino's def recruits. Who is/was assigned the responsibility of recruiting the def players? G or P? For sure not 'S'.

How big a roll should/do injuries play in the stats? Stats presented in a vacuum still need to be analyzed as to how that is derived..

What was the SoS for 14,15,16 vs 17 at post season.

How many Def starters missed games either whole or partial. IDK.

Seems like 'G' had his best stat ranking season using Stong's def guys....not his.

Seems like 'S' is not having good stats using Grantham's def guys. Not 'S's, how is that weighted?.

Who the hell knows what is going on at CBP's practice? Does he allow tackling any at all? Did he the first year or 2 for 'G'? IDK.....does anybody on the board know?

Stats in a vacuum are just numbers on the paper.....the why it is so is much harder to discern and tells more of the story, IMO.

And, I am in the Missouri camp on Sirmon.....he needs to show me. He does need time to be able to do that one way or the other.

If the 'D' regresses next year and especially in year 3....than you have a trend that quantifies the data. Was 'G's last 4 games of 2016 an anomoly or was it injury driven? or talent driven as backups were just not as good as the starters...under him in year 3?

I am still of the mindset that the best defense is a great offense that controls TOP and points on the board. End of last year and this whole year have been very up and down in those facets of the game. Both have to be efficient for the other to excel....and that has not been consistently happening.,,,,hence the losses....especially the upsets. End of rant.

Last edited:

Look zipp I think Sirmon has been playing with a short deck. I may be proven wrong but we’ll see. I’ll bet you a dime to a green assed fly that Syracuse and uahkay won’t see a defense without the threat of blitzes like uahkay and Houston did last year. I may be proven wrong and you’ll be getting a dime but I don’t think so. Grantham is a snake in the grass with an ego bigger than all outdoors.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I felt good about the Sirmon hire but not now. I wasn't happy with Grantham either. Generally, I think Bobby makes good hires. When Bobby said he wasn't going to make any in season coaching moves that told me he knows a change is needed.

Sirmons' on field performance has been abysmal. How the recruiting has been going is another story. I saw great improvement on Saturday-we actually got to the QB, which we have not done all year.
I don't think you fire a guy mid-season. If the defense improves these next 2 games, that will tell the story.

I felt good about the Sirmon hire but not now. I wasn't happy with Grantham either. Generally, I think Bobby makes good hires. When Bobby said he wasn't going to make any in season coaching moves that told me he knows a change is needed.
I like Petrino and hope he stays here the rest of his career. But he wouldn't recognize good D coordinator potential if the person came up and slapped him.

That's been proven simply by his track record here at hiring coordinators. Eight years, and the next coordinator (which many are advocating) will be his SIXTH.

Petrino needs help on that side of the ball, and we knew that when we rehired him. We also just fired the only significant help he had...

I must have missed last year's Senior Day... Did all of our stars on defense since Grantham arrived graduate in the 2016 class? That's what this chart shows...

Total%20Defense%20National%20Rank_zpsyf1x0omk.jpg

Grantham’s defenses have been statistically better, and numbers don’t lie. You have everyone on that. However, a lot of the game of football isn’t based on numbers. Who returns, injuries, player development, etc. as all have cited above. They key argument for firing Grantham and retaining Sirmon, other than wakeyleaks, is the fact that Grantham did not develop his players well.

Look at Josh Harvey Clemons for example.
Dude was a high school all American and he was a solid player but never set the world on fire. Grantham has to have top talent. Khane pass and many of the other sophomores and Juniors on this team are worlds away from where they should be and that was seen when the second unit came in against teams like Marshall and others and proceeded to give up points by the dozen.

Sirmon was left with a mediocre squad at best with 3 nfl caliber players, all of whom have been injured at some point this year. I wanted him gone but if he can right the ship and recruit well maybe he can get things going in the right direction.

Since too many of you are focused on players, I also checked the rosters to see which defensive guys left PRIOR TO LAST YEAR when Grantham also fielded a nationally ranked defense...

Keith Brown
James Burgess
Pio Vatuvei
Nick Dawson-Brents
Sheldon Rankins
James Sample
Charles Gaines
Gerod Holliman
B. J. Dubose
Andrew Johnson
Terrell Floyd
Jermaine Reve
Deiontrez Mount
Lorenzo Mauldin

Pretty impressive list of recent guys that Grantham did NOT have at his discretion when he fielded the nation's #14 defense statistically in his final season...

BTW I'm not advocating that Sirmon be fired necessarily. (Esp. when we have no one competent on staff to hire a replacement...)

He's turning out about as I had feared based on Petrino's track record at hiring coordinators. I just don't want to see the wrong analysis... This is mostly about coaching.

Last edited:
I think Sirmon has been pretty much a disappointment so far, but I would’ve liked to have seen him with Charlie’s players like Grantham had. Recruiting is a huge part of coaching...

what is the consensus over on Warchant about this season and possible coaching changes? Are Kelly and Tricket finally going to get the boot after all of the clamoring?
@SchmidtyNole

I don't think anyone is happy with the defensive product up until last week. That is on the coaches. There is no denying it. Keep in mind Granthams defense fell apart at the end of the year. UK and LSU, both average offenses last year, torched the defense 14th ranked defense. Losing key players matter especially at Louisville. Good football players matter. Good coaching matters.

I don't think a change is necessary at this point. The reality is when you are constantly changing coordinators, by the choice of the head coach the end is near. Staff continuity on either side of the ball is important.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is happy with the defensive product up until last week. That is on the coaches. There is no denying it. Keep in mind Granthams defense fell apart at the end of the year. UK and LSU, both average offenses last year, torched the defense 14th ranked defense...
An explanation I've often heard for that was Wakeyleaks. And in all honesty, that's the only one that makes sense at this point.

Is it entirely coaching?...Few things are ever absolute. But I'm convinced it's mostly coaching on defense, esp. since I already acknowledged that's Petrino's Achilles Heel...

Here you go

cowbelljpg-848ae987e53a2482_large.jpg
Your responses on this topic are getting weaker and more petty. I am, or need to be an msu fan because I think that losing Terrell Buckley’s coaching and recruiting ability was detrimental to Louisville’s football program?

You seem to be all in on Brohm. Should I send you a picture of an engineering student?

Your responses on this topic are getting weaker and more petty. I am, or need to be an msu fan because I think that losing Terrell Buckley’s coaching and recruiting ability was detrimental to Louisville’s football program?

You seem to be all in on Brohm. Should I send you a picture of an engineering student?

Louisville just had their best defensive game of the season, yet you're slurping on the failed Grantham in TWO different threads.

Maybe the clown Sirmon is turning things around which would kill your contrived narrative that Grantham shouldn't have been fired. Giving up 41 to SuCkS ON SENIOR DAY , surely gets you rode out on the rails.

Either you're Toddie, a relative, a friend, groupie whatever, no one cares.
Grantham was fired and Im estatic he'll never fail here again.

Go ring your cowbell........

Vandy's coach was a really good defensive guy at Stanford, and his defenses were pretty good at Vandy with Franklin players. This year they are ranked 115th in the nation against the run. Players matter. On the flip slip Florida State has talent all over the place and they aren't performing. Coaching matters.

Whatever Wisconsin is doing give me that formula because they do it the way Louisville will have to do it. Find kids that fit the defensive scheme and coach them up. He scheme is polar opposite of Grantham which requires a different type of player. Let's see how next year goes.

It is too early to tell on Sirmon.

Louisville just had their best defensive game of the season, yet you're slurping on the failed Grantham in TWO different threads.

Maybe the clown Sirmon is turning things around which would kill your contrived narrative that Grantham shouldn't have been fired. Giving up 41 to SuCkS ON SENIOR DAY , surely gets you rode out on the rails.

Either you're Toddie, a relative, a friend, groupie whatever, no one cares.
Grantham was fired and Im estatic he'll never fail here again.

Go ring your cowbell........
Lol - clearly you care enough to respond to every post - even those that you have to interject yourself into. If there’s any slurping going on - it’s you attempting to slurp yourself.

My last two posts didn’t mention the guy - they were about Buckley and yet all you can see is Grantham.

I don’t have a narrative - contrived or otherwise - about Grantham leaving Louisville. To date, the people that have brought it up have done so to compare his performance with sirmon - including you. I’m really happy that the defense performed well Saturday and I hope that they’ve turned a corner and sirmon figures it out. If not - I hope he’s replaced.

Take a deep breath and relax. It’s ok that we have a difference of opinion on this topic.

He is a pretty darn good Defensive Coordinator. Mississippi State’s defense turned it around completely after he replaced Sermons.

I agree. Grantham ran an aggressive, high-risk, high-reward scheme that gave up big plays but that was masked by making big plays and getting turnovers. I'm not saying he was perfect. It was frustrating sometimes, but the stats are the stats and with Grantham I'd say we are at 1 or 2 losses right now. That said, the D got some great pressure this past week against UVA, haven't seen that level of effort & pressure since well when Grantham was the DC.

Reactions: BPGhost
I agree. Grantham ran an aggressive, high-risk, high-reward scheme that gave up big plays but that was masked by making big plays and getting turnovers. I'm not saying he was perfect. It was frustrating sometimes, but the stats are the stats and with Grantham I'd say we are at 1 or 2 losses right now. That said, the D got some great pressure this past week against UVA, haven't seen that level of effort & pressure since well when Grantham was the DC.
Uh-oh, I see a cowbell in your future. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT