ADVERTISEMENT

Today: The Start of my Boycott of the University of Louisville (Until Postel is Gone)

Jun 24, 2009
So to start off, I maintained hope that Tom Jurich would be retained as the AD of the University of Louisville. I maintained hope that sanity and logic would prevail. Last night of course I was proven wrong. I was preparing in advance to take steps that sadly are now necessary. I have begun my economic and financial boycott of the University of Louisville until Greg Postel and the BOT that voted to remove Tom Jurich are removed. I would encourage all of you to do the same.

I have been a UofL fan (and attended games at PJCS, Old Cardinal Stadium, YUM and Freedom Hall) for as long as I can remember I am a UofL Alumnus who graduated from the UofL College of Business and Public Administration in 2007. As a UofL Alumni the decision to boycott is one of the hardest decision that I have made in my life. For reference here are some numbers to call at UofL to voice your displeasure:

Office of the President: 502-852-5795
UofL Alumni Association: 502-852-6186
UofL Athletics Association: 502-852-5151

I have personally contacted all 3 of those departments to get off their mailing lists and to inform them that I will not support UofL academically or athletically until Greg Postel and the bunch of UK cronies on the BOT are gone. I will not donate to the university, I will not attend UofL academic or athletic events and I will not buy any UofL merchandise. I have talked to about 15 alumni here in Florida who feel the same way and they are also suspending their donations. Total the university will be losing about $85,000 in donations.

Greg Postel is too dumb to understand that athletics are a big part of donor giving and a way for alumni to stay in touch with the university. By destroying athletics (and he is doing that) he is too dumb to understand that he will hurt academics as well. But what can we expect from a guy doing the bidding of his UK overlords and a guy who has no experience that qualifies him to be the interim president of the university.

Just to show you all how deep the UK connection goes, the guy I talked with in the President's Office said he was dismayed by my comments and decision to stop supporting the university. He mentioned that he went to UK in his undergrad years and has a bachelor's degree at UK and a master's degree (or working on one, not sure) at UofL. I kindly told him that no person who went to UK should ever be President at UofL and that you would never see a UofL graduate as President at UK. But it just goes to show you how deep the UK infiltration goes.

Now do not me wrong, I still support the teams and the athletes on those teams. They deserve our support more than ever. I will still be watching and cheering on our athletic teams from the comfort of my home. I will just not be giving any support financially.

I do not trust Greg Postel or any of the UK BOT (oops sorry UofL) to hire any type of competent AD or Basketball coach. They will hire someone who will destroy that individual program and their goal is to destroy UofL Athletics. With Jurich being gone universities will pick apart our teams one by one. Petrino will get SEC offers, and though he might not be as good as he was he's still far better than Butch Jones, Will Muschamp or Kevin Sumlin. Dan McDonnell will most likely get multiple offers from various SEC and ACC schools and Jeff Walz will get multiple offers as well. Without a strong AD we have no chance of keeping those coaches who are all at the top of their sport.

I truly believe that the only way to stop this is to stop Greg Postel, David Grissom and all the UK cronies on the UofL BOT. I know that many of you will say I am going about this the wrong way, that this is what UK and the UK cronies on the UofL BOT want. I know that many of you will say that I am hurting the university, our faculty, our students and our student athletes. Yes you are right, I am hurting UofL, but only because this might be the only way to save UofL long term. Like a trapped person who cuts off an arm to save his life, my goal is to hurt UofL now to save UofL long term.

Please seriously consider this economic and financial boycott of UofL. It is the best way to show that you truly care.

Bottom line if Rick would have stressed compliance especially to this young punk Fair following the Mcgee crap maybe we wouldn't be going through this water under the bridge now I'm a die hard BB fan since the 70's so i feel the pain. However all we can do now is still remain loyal rabid Card fans till the end! We as fans are going to be just as important as any big time donor going forward making this program staying relevant. Sometimes change is the best and needed nobody excepts it well but life goes on as this program will as long as we maintain our LOYAL SUPPORT !

Not a proponent of boycotting UofL. I just don't see how you can boycott anything UofL related without harming the university and athletic department. Anything that takes funds way from the university also has a financial impact on ALL students, in terms of increases in tuition and fees, as well as ticket prices for fans. And I certainly don't condone boycotting university events, whether athletic or academic. The students AND student/athletes deserve support; they played no part in recent events. JMO.

Not a proponent of boycotting UofL. I just don't see how you can boycott anything UofL related without harming the university and athletic department. Anything that takes funds way from the university also has a financial impact on ALL students, in terms of increases in tuition and fees, as well as ticket prices for fans. And I certainly don't condone boycotting university events, whether athletic or academic. The students AND student/athletes deserve support; they played no part in recent events. JMO.

BOT should have thought about what you just laid out. They didn't because of incompetence. That's who is leading. That's why you boycott.

Reactions: American Male
Bottom line if Rick would have stressed compliance especially to this young punk Fair following the Mcgee crap maybe we wouldn't be going through this water under the bridge now I'm a die hard BB fan since the 70's so i feel the pain. However all we can do now is still remain loyal rabid Card fans till the end! We as fans are going to be just as important as any big time donor going forward making this program staying relevant. Sometimes change is the best and needed nobody excepts it well but life goes on as this program will as long as we maintain our LOYAL SUPPORT !
What a difference not quite a week makes. And I quote...

REDFISTFURY31250+
Fumble completely done with this FB season good luck to those of you that can stomach it!

27 Saturday at 3:37 PM

That’s some loyalty there boys. It’s almost like the post was written by Old Yeller - lol.

As CardX elaborated maybe Postel and the BOT should of thought about that before firing Jurich for no reason except for a personal vendetta that will cost the university millions (as it should). The student/athletes deserve a president and BOT that supports them and isn't trying to destroy their ability to compete in college athletics. A boycott is completely Postel's and the BOT's doing and shows just how incompetent they are and that they should go.

The fact remains, sometimes you have to cut off an arm to save the body. In this case temporarily hurting UofL by withholding money might be the only way to save UofL long term.

As CardX elaborated maybe Postel and the BOT should of thought about that before firing Jurich for no reason except for a personal vendetta that will cost the university millions (as it should). The student/athletes deserve a president and BOT that supports them and isn't trying to destroy their ability to compete in college athletics. A boycott is completely Postel's and the BOT's doing and shows just how incompetent they are and that they should go.

The fact remains, sometimes you have to cut off an arm to save the body. In this case temporarily hurting UofL by withholding money might be the only way to save UofL long term.

If you think Jurich was fired for "no reason" then you haven't been paying attention. Additionally there may be other reasons that weren't divulged yet. I do agree that the BOT was hopelessly non-transparent yesterday.

If you think Jurich was fired for "no reason" then you haven't been paying attention. Additionally there may be other reasons that weren't divulged yet. I do agree that the BOT was hopelessly non-transparent yesterday.

If you are going to fire Jurich for cause saying it fell under his watch, then Postel should be fired as well. The buck stops at the top and it was under his watch. But yet nothing on Postel doing the right thing and resigning. It's like a CEO having a scandal happen under his watch and the manager, area manager and vice president but the CEO is spared. That doesn't happen very often.

Even if it is somehow justified, do you truly trust this interim president and BOT to lead the university through this difficult time? Do you truly trust them to make critical decisions on hiring the next permanent AD and permanent men's basketball coach? Do you truly trust that they have the universities best interest in mind with their decision? I personally do not and I guess that's the question you have to decide for yourself.

If you are going to fire Jurich for cause saying it fell under his watch, then Postel should be fired as well. The buck stops at the top and it was under his watch. But yet nothing on Postel doing the right thing and resigning. It's like a CEO having a scandal happen under his watch and the manager, area manager and vice president but the CEO is spared. That doesn't happen very often.

Even if it is somehow justified, do you truly trust this interim president and BOT to lead the university through this difficult time? Do you truly trust them to make critical decisions on hiring the next permanent AD and permanent men's basketball coach? Do you truly trust that they have the universities best interest in mind with their decision? I personally do not and I guess that's the question you have to decide for yourself.

The governor has determined that he seats the Board and that it operates at his discretion. So you can rail all you want, but until something changes in Frankfort then your boycott does nothing but harm the athletes currently competing. And most of the items that would have put Pitino and Jurich on notice did not occur on Postel's watch.

Reactions: nccardfan
The governor has determined that he seats the Board and that it operates at his discretion. So you can rail all you want, but until something changes in Frankfort then your boycott does nothing but harm the athletes currently competing. And most of the items that would have put Pitino and Jurich on notice did not occur on Postel's watch.

But the fact is this aspect, the pay for play issue, did occur on Postel's watch. Postel can not deny that. If Pitino and Jurich both have to be fired for it then Postel should be fired as well.

That's also why I am boycotting the state of Kentucky as well and for all I care the whole state outside of Louisville can burn. Always trying to screw over Louisville but they sure love our tax dollars. Incredibly corrupt state being led by an incredibly corrupt governor.

I completely understand that I might have to boycott for awhile. Heck I'm prepared to do it the rest of my time on this Earth but I really hope it doesn't get this far. We need to get Postel out of office and get these BOT out. I think the best way would be to boycott any business they are associated with. The easiest is John Schnatter, boycott Papa John's and run Papa John's out of Louisville. Make being on the UofL BOT so hazardous for his business that he has no choice but to resign. Do this to other BOT members as well.

So to start off, I maintained hope that Tom Jurich would be retained as the AD of the University of Louisville. I maintained hope that sanity and logic would prevail. Last night of course I was proven wrong. I was preparing in advance to take steps that sadly are now necessary. I have begun my economic and financial boycott of the University of Louisville until Greg Postel and the BOT that voted to remove Tom Jurich are removed. I would encourage all of you to do the same.

I have been a UofL fan (and attended games at PJCS, Old Cardinal Stadium, YUM and Freedom Hall) for as long as I can remember I am a UofL Alumnus who graduated from the UofL College of Business and Public Administration in 2007. As a UofL Alumni the decision to boycott is one of the hardest decision that I have made in my life. For reference here are some numbers to call at UofL to voice your displeasure:

Office of the President: 502-852-5795
UofL Alumni Association: 502-852-6186
UofL Athletics Association: 502-852-5151

I have personally contacted all 3 of those departments to get off their mailing lists and to inform them that I will not support UofL academically or athletically until Greg Postel and the bunch of UK cronies on the BOT are gone. I will not donate to the university, I will not attend UofL academic or athletic events and I will not buy any UofL merchandise. I have talked to about 15 alumni here in Florida who feel the same way and they are also suspending their donations. Total the university will be losing about $85,000 in donations.

Greg Postel is too dumb to understand that athletics are a big part of donor giving and a way for alumni to stay in touch with the university. By destroying athletics (and he is doing that) he is too dumb to understand that he will hurt academics as well. But what can we expect from a guy doing the bidding of his UK overlords and a guy who has no experience that qualifies him to be the interim president of the university.

Just to show you all how deep the UK connection goes, the guy I talked with in the President's Office said he was dismayed by my comments and decision to stop supporting the university. He mentioned that he went to UK in his undergrad years and has a bachelor's degree at UK and a master's degree (or working on one, not sure) at UofL. I kindly told him that no person who went to UK should ever be President at UofL and that you would never see a UofL graduate as President at UK. But it just goes to show you how deep the UK infiltration goes.
Really? I understand your being pissed off and upset, we all are. Boycotting UL does nothing positive. Giving Vince Tyra and the remaining coaches, staff members and student athletes your support is what is needed.

Really? I understand your being pissed off and upset, we all are. Boycotting UL does nothing positive. Giving Vince Tyra and the remaining coaches, staff members and student athletes your support is what is needed.

He has now extended the boycott to include the whole state.

I disagree, blinding supporting UofL just tells Postel and the BOT that what they did is okay. It's time for some tough love. As fans the only power we have is the power of our wallets and I plan to use it.

Let me ask you something, did you blindly support UofL football during the Kragthorpe years or did you protest and not attend games? Many fans did not attend games and it was those fans who got Kragthorpe fired. Sure it hurt the student athletes temporarily but it saved our football program long term. If we had just stood still Kragthorpe would have continued destroying the program and we would be in the AAC right now, not the ACC. It's the same theory here, the only thing this corrupt interim President and vindictive BOT will listen to is money.

He has now extended the boycott to include the whole state.

Well I won't lie, I've never cared for the state of Kentucky. Why should I care for a state that hates my city and my university? The city of Louisville is the lone beacon of light in a state full of darkness (racism, discrimination, hate, drug abuse, cheating just to win at basketball) and I despise the fact that Louisville loses 50% of its taxes to a state that hates its guts. This is the state trying to put not only UofL but the city of Louisville back in its place.

My only wish is that the University of Louisville would stop playing My Old Kentucky Home at home games. We should not honor a song that honors racism and bigotry, never mind a song for a state that hates its main city and economic engine. For years I have refused to stand and respect My Old Kentucky Home. As far as I'm concerned I'll never visit the state of Kentucky outside of the city of Louisville ever again. It's a good thing I saw the Corvette museum back in September.

BOT should have thought about what you just laid out. They didn't because of incompetence. That's who is leading. That's why you boycott.

Do you guys actually think the BOT and Postel care that you’re boycotting. If what you believe is true then you’re playing right into their hands. The only way you beat this is 1) Continue donating 2) Hold the BOT feet to the fire. Email them constantly when they do something we think is bad for UofL. 3) Try to elect a governor who will support UofL.

But don’t turn your back on UofL because that will destroy the University.

That's Tyra getting protected by coaches and players. Counter-terrorists call those "human shields" which is a term I've adopted...

I mostly agree with the OP's tactics, and I certainly agree with his sentiments. This is a situation that should evoke some response from fans beyond "what can I do?" and "I'm insignificant" responses. The problem is figuring out "what?"

I stop short of boycotting games which is the most obvious signs that players and coaches see. They shouldn't be penalized because they operate under SOBs. And I don't wanna see fans get a black eye over how they're flexing their muscles. That said, I perfectly understand if a lotta fans wanna stay away from games, and I expect that.

What I plan to do is sever as many ties as possible with the university except for athletic events. And I plan to spend as little money as possible on those events. For damn sure, no donations.

When the question of who that harms is raised, there is short term fallout on student-athletes, no question. Less money to athletics means fewer scholarships. It may also mean coaches decide to move on. Those aren't perceived as fan-related issues however. And they would probably lead to underperformance for the teams involved which ultimately puts pressure on higher ups, at least the AD. How's Tyra gonna look if U of L sports programs overall suffer?

This is the unfortunate situation we are in. Our cherished sports programs will be at risk. But we as fans shouldn't be asked to look past corruption and deceit so that those programs are spared. If Jurich's legacy is tarnished, I sure as hell ain't gonna be party to building Tyra's...

Lost in all this are the students and the student athletes. What happened to the 2 transfers last year when they didn't get to play in the NCAA last year is grotesque enough to dismiss the head coach and the AD.

I mostly agree with the OP's tactics, and I certainly agree with his sentiments. This is a situation that should evoke some response from fans beyond "what can I do?" and "I'm insignificant" responses. The problem is figuring out "what?"

I stop short of boycotting games which is the most obvious signs that players and coaches see. They shouldn't be penalized because they operate under SOBs. And I don't wanna see fans get a black eye over how they're flexing their muscles. That said, I perfectly understand if a lotta fans wanna stay away from games, and I expect that.

What I plan to do is sever as many ties as possible with the university except for athletic events. And I plan to spend as little money as possible on those events. For damn sure, no donations.

When the question of who that harms is raised, there is short term fallout on student-athletes, no question. Less money to athletics means fewer scholarships. It may also mean coaches decide to move on. Those aren't perceived as fan-related issues however. And they would probably lead to underperformance for the teams involved which ultimately puts pressure on higher ups, at least the AD. How's Tyra gonna look if U of L sports programs overall suffer?

This is the unfortunate situation we are in. Our cherished sports programs will be at risk. But we as fans shouldn't be asked to look past corruption and deceit so that those programs are spared. If Jurich's legacy is tarnished, I sure as hell ain't gonna be party to building Tyra's...

My approach will be consistent with Zipp's. I agree with many (Steelers had a good comment further) that withdrawing support from the university as a whole could likely bring additional hardships those who have nothing to do with this entire endeavor (such as the student body on the academic side that I do routinely donate to). However, change comes at a price and one cannot be too afraid of all the potentialities to be willing to take action in pursuit of what they think is right.

Moreover, I do not think the BOT have the best intentions on the academic side as well. Postel is not Ramsey, some will say that's a good thing (and to a degree it is), but the cons here far outweigh the pluses. I don't see him or very few members of the board who care 10% of what Ramsey and Jurich did about this university. My withdraw of support likely is not to matter much in the grand scheme, my hope is that some of the larger donors begin to withdraw to generate incentive to change the vote on who is In Frankfort (which can truly affect the BoT and President).

My approach will be consistent with Zipp's. I agree with many (Steelers had a good comment further) that withdrawing support from the university as a whole could likely bring additional hardships those who have nothing to do with this entire endeavor (such as the student body on the academic side that I do routinely donate to). However, change comes at a price and one cannot be too afraid of all the potentialities to be willing to take action in pursuit of what they think is right.

Moreover, I do not think the BOT have the best intentions on the academic side as well. Postel is not Ramsey, some will say that's a good thing (and to a degree it is), but the cons here far outweigh the pluses. I don't see him or very few members of the board who care 10% of what Ramsey and Jurich did about this university. My withdraw of support likely is not to matter much in the grand scheme, my hope is that some of the larger donors begin to withdraw to generate incentive to change the vote on who is In Frankfort (which can truly affect the BoT and President).

What makes everyone think withdrawing donations will upset anyone on the BOT. If you think they don’t have the best interest of the University (Which I agree with 100%) at heart why in the world would you think not donating would get a response. It’s like shooting your self. They won’t care. The best thing is to continue to donate and pressure them to continue the growth. The Alumni Association should also do a no confidence vote for the BOT and Postel (Who is not simply qualified for the position).

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
I disagree, blinding supporting UofL just tells Postel and the BOT that what they did is okay. It's time for some tough love. As fans the only power we have is the power of our wallets and I plan to use it.

Best post(s) I've read in a long time. That whole supporting the program no matter what is ignorance at its finest. And has no place in higher education. I'm sure all the agenda shills will say otherwise. Face it. They burned down the program and salted the earth. Nothing will grow again at our University. So don't waste your money supporting anything associated with these guys.

Best post(s) I've read in a long time. That whole supporting the program no matter what is ignorance at its finest. And has no place in higher education. I'm sure all the agenda shills will say otherwise. Face it. They burned down the program and salted the earth. Nothing will grow again at our University. So don't waste your money supporting anything associated with these guys.

The fatalism going on around here is pathetic! SAD!!

Your attacks on Tyra are pathetic and without merit. I understand the frustration about Jurich, but to disparage a good man and huge UofL supporter like Vince Tyra is sad.

I hope Tyra does well, but it's telling that when his friend was suspended and fighting for his job he accepted the position. I think most of us would be like, "no, that's my friend you're screwing over." I guess you'd call that backstabbing.

Nothing like lining the pockets of the guys who burnt down the University. Respond with your wallets. The program isn't worth keeping if guys in power were willing to do what they did.

I hope Tyra does well, but it's telling that when his friend was suspended and fighting for his job he accepted the position. I think most of us would be like, "no, that's my friend you're screwing over." I guess you'd call that backstabbing.

I'd say he did what most successful business persons do, he realized that life goes on and trusted in his own skill-set to determine that he is the best person to carry the baton for Jurich.

Please seriously consider this economic and financial boycott of UofL. It is the best way to show that you truly care.

Anyone who is considering a boycott needs to see a therapist, likely a psychiatrist. Seriously. You need to speak to someone. The university has given athletics $14 MILLION in 2 years. Athletics doesn't turn a profit. So whatever measly (if any) donations you refuse to send is only hurting the university as a whole. If you truly cared, you'd continue to support your alma mater in a time of great adversity.

As far as I'm concerned I'll never visit the state of Kentucky outside of the city of Louisville ever again.

Please include Louisville in your no-visit list. We don't want you here. We have enough nutjobs as it is.

He might be “friendly” with Jurich but they’re not friends. Tyra is 1,000,000% more beholden to his business sponsor grissom and, as postel is, will do whatever grissom tells him to do.

grissom had Jurich and pitino in his sights since day one. I was this told in March F2F by a former board member who knows grissom personally, that grissom would remove them from their positions inside of a year. Sadly, pitino’s actions made grissom’s mission that much easier.

I'd say he did what most successful business persons do, he realized that life goes on and trusted in his own skill-set to determine that he is the best person to carry the baton for Jurich.

Backstabbing is part of business, I think most of us have all learned by now. Speaking of business, it's also kind of shady Grissom and Tyra have had shared business dealings in the past. I get the sense Tyra doesn't make any kind of move without Grissom approval. That's not ideal.

Anyone who is considering a boycott needs to see a therapist, likely a psychiatrist. Seriously. You need to speak to someone. The university has given athletics $14 MILLION in 2 years. Athletics doesn't turn a profit. So whatever measly (if any) donations you refuse to send is only hurting the university as a whole. If you truly cared, you'd continue to support your alma mater in a time of great adversity.

Lol. "Hurting the university as a whole." That's kind of the point. My goodness, people.

Please include Louisville in your no-visit list. We don't want you here. We have enough nutjobs as it is.
Anyone who would take advice from an anonymous poster (either way) about what to do with their money should see a therapist - though I would stay away from any of the team of the ones working on this guy.

Feel fairly sure that a great percentage of the total amount the university takes in, are from “measly” donations. Btw - UofL isn’t in the ACC except for athletics - a move that will help the school more than anything grissom or postel will ever accomplish.

Super first post - jackass.

Last edited:
CLown thats FB not BB go somewhere who the hell cares about FB
“However all we can do now is still remain loyal rabid Card fans till the end! We as fans are going to be just as important as any big time donor going forward making this program staying relevant. Sometimes change is the best and needed nobody excepts it well but life goes on as this program will as long as we maintain our LOYAL SUPPORT !”

These were your words - no one else’s. So to sum up - you’re a “loyal” supporter but only for basketball? Lol - ok.

Take a look around Einstein - FB drives the bus everywhere - including here. UofL is in the ACC because of FB - BB is an afterthought.

Last edited:
“However all we can do now is still remain loyal rabid Card fans till the end! We as fans are going to be just as important as any big time donor going forward making this program staying relevant. Sometimes change is the best and needed nobody excepts it well but life goes on as this program will as long as we maintain our LOYAL SUPPORT !”

These were your words - no one else’s. So to sum up - you’re a “loyal” supporter but only if basketball? Lol - ok.

Take a look around Einstein - FB drives the bus everywhere - including here. UofL is in the ACC because of FB - BB is an afterthought.
Nothing says i have to be a rabid Fb fan sorry your butt hurt!

ADVERTISEMENT