ADVERTISEMENT

Tips for visiting fan to Louisville

Apr 15, 2016
Hey All,

My buddies and I are big college football fans, and we love traveling to new places for games. We’re working on a blog that gives tips to other football fans when they travel to away stadiums for games. I’m trying to hit all the ACC schools, and I was hoping you’d indulge me on some questions about Louisville football games. Basically, what I am asking is that if you and I met randomly on an airplane and I told you all about my trip to Louisville for a football game, you wouldn’t have to say, “You did it all wrong, next time you should …”

Since you guys are the experts on a perfect trip to Louisville, I wanted to see if you would answer a few questions. Feel free to answer any or all of them that you’d like, and if you can think of any other info I’ve overlooked feel free to throw that in there too!

TRAVEL

1. What’s the most convenient/cheapest airport to fly into? Is there a specific airline that is best/cheapest to fly on?

2. Suppose some travelers are a little more adventurous and don’t mind flying into an airport that’s a 3-4 hour drive away from the game if it would make for a cool drive or takes them by some cool sites/attractions – anything like that people should know about when they’re booking flights?

3. Is a rental car necessary? How is the public transportation system/Uber in Louisville?

HOTEL

4. What’s the hotel situation like over the weekend of a game? How good is airbnb, vrbo, etc. in Louisville? Are there any great resort towns nearby to stay at for a day?

FOOD

5. What are your favorite places to eat around Louisville during the college football season? How is the food in the stadium (anything a one-time visitor can’t leave the stadium without eating)?

TICKETS

6. What is the best option for visiting fans to buy game tickets? School Ticket office? StubHub? Local Classifieds?

TAILGATING

7. Any general tailgating advice for a first-timer at a Louisville game? Specific areas for visiting fans?

TRADITIONS

8. Some schools have unique game day traditions – do you guys do anything that’d be worth a visitor planning their schedule around? Are there any buildings or sites near campus or the stadium that visitors should check out?

OTHER ATTRACTIONS

9. If fans decide to make this more of a family vacation, are there any local sites/attractions that they would need to make room for on their schedule? Any can’t-miss Historical/Educational or Fun/Entertainment sites?

SAFETY

10. Are there any general safety issues fans should be aware of? Any areas visitors should avoid for parking, walking, etc? I know every fan base has its share of bad apples, but would you classify your general fan base as hospitable/neutral/in-hospitable?

OTHER ACC SCHOOLS

11. Lastly, since I'm trying to do this for all the teams in the ACC, I thought I'd ask if you have any experience traveling to other schools in the conference? Favorite/Least Favorite ACC school to visit for games? Any horror or success stories or general advice you'd give from your experiences?

As mentioned, feel free to answer any/all/none of the questions, and throw on any extra info that I may have overlooked. I’ll be sure to report back when our blog is posted so that you can see the finished product!

I'll give it a shot
Travel: I think Louisville handles most major airlines. Shouldn't have a problem getting in or out. Close cities to fly into: Cincy, Lexington (highly unrecommended), Nashville, or even bowling green. Best bet just fly into the Ville. we have Uber, and Lift both work pretty good here. Rental car is a good option, Traffic isnt too bad outside of rush hour.
Hotels: There are plenty of hotels within 30 minutes of the stadium and still be within city limits
Food:Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Steak place in the galt house. (name escapes me now) The Highlands has plenty of trendy places to eat, if you like small and quaint. The Overlook restaurant in Corydon is nice and scenic. Others might be able to fill you in better here. Im not an upscale food kind of person. Im more pizza and wings, and there are plenty of places for that here.
At the stadium you'll get a large dose of Papa Johns in your face. I always like getting a pork Chop sandwich. It's pretty good.
Tickets: I'd say stub hub is prolly your best bet. Or get them through your own school that way you will be with your own fans in a specific section of the stadium.
Tailgaiting is a pride of Louisville: we try and do it right and most people are very courteous to visitors. UK fans being the exception. The green lot is usually pretty packed as well as the dozens of side lots. You're sure to find a smiling face, cold beverage, cornhole or washers at just about any setup.
Traditions: we are fairly new in this department, we have Card March were the players walk into the stadium a couple hours before gametime. Our Cheerleaders and womens dance teams are multi time national champions be sure to catch their performances.
Attractions and to do list: Churchill Downs is a must see, The Louisville Slugger Museum, 4th street live is a good place for nightlife but its a lil pricey for me. I prefer the 6-7 bars in St.Matthews for nightlife. The bourbon trail, Where 90% of the worlds bourbon is made and you can tour many facilities and enjoy a taste or 7. The Lexington Horse park, Keenland Race track, mammoth Cave is an hour away (its the largest cave system in the world) Louisville also boast a park system that nearly circles the outside of the city and is the largest in the US. So lots to do, and I'm sure I'm missing a few things.
Safety: Most areas around the stadium is fairly safe. And I'd like to think this our fan base is overly hospitable. We are so happy to be in the ACC, that we are nice to a fault. Everyone wants to represent the city as best we can.
We havent been to any away games yet. We mostly attend the neutral site games. We did go to Notre Dame 2 years ago and had a great time. It was cold and rainy so we missed some of South Bend's ambiance. But the fans were nice for the most part. Louisville took 15,000 up there, so they were not happy we "invaded". And we have reserved tickets and rooms to see Clemson this year. And can not wait. We hope to do FSU next year. Virginia, North Carolina, Pitt, and maybe Miami are on our list.
Im sure I missed a bunch of stuff hopefully, others will weigh in and give alot better information than what I provided.

pretty good start there. i've done this a few times and personally think my posts on this should be pinned for folks who frequently ask about this.

hotels i'd say 21C, the brown, the seelbach, the galthouse, the hyatt. but really not that big a deal. you'll just be sleeping there.

restaurants: Jeff Ruby's is the best steak in town and most expensive. we also have a great Morton's and as above Ruth's Chris if you're into big expensive chain steakhouses. other very nice restaurants which are louisville institutions include vincenzo's, 610 magnolia, buck's, porcini, varanese, volare, Jack Fry's, seviche, harvest, decca, rye, the mayan cafe, proof (the 21C hotel restaurant and bar), pat's steakhouse, bourbon bistro. i'm sure i'm missing some too, but those are all great and upscale. the river house is a new one that is just getting going, probably will be better by mid summer once the kinks are ironed out - same guys as varanese.

less expensive / upscale but still very cool restaurants to go for food and drink include: silver dollar, wick's pizza (on bardstown rd), molly malones (bardstown), spring street, flanigans, tin roof, drakes, gerstles, saints, cumberland brews (best microbrewery in town), bluegrass brewing company, the hub, the crafthouse, hammerheads, o'sheas, game, louvino, frankfort avenue beer depot, north end cafe, hilltop tavern, spinellis (really more for late night pizza but these philly guys will make a real philly cheese steak with the whiz! - compare to jim's in philly), feast, el camino, el mundo, dot crows, stevie rays

of course you can always go to 4th street. lots of chain style restaurants and bars, but kinda generic and i don't think you really get a good feel for louisville being down there. no that they aren't fine places to eat and drink. kansas city has something similar in their downtown, and i'm sure others do as well.

other attractions in the area: of course churchill downs. keeneland in lexington (really more versailles but technically fayette county) is a much nicer track but different and only runs 4 weekends in october and 4 weekends in april, but for a better racing experience, please go to keeneland. a good football weekend in october would involve going to keeneland on friday for your friday party activity prior to gameday saturday. if you're more of a family man and will have your family, i suggest driving up to southern Indiana just a few miles past the river and find Huber's Winery and orchard. your kids can pick pumpkins in the fall, pick apples, mom and dad can sample the wines, and it's beautiful up there. good food out there too. good thing to do friday before gameday saturday, or you could go sunday as well. beware, fall is the busiest time of year up there, but i still think it's worth it. i like to go during the week for smaller crowds in the fall.

there are 3 cities that are close to louisville that are all worth going to as well: Nashville, Indianapolis, and cincinatti. cincinatti is about 1 hour away, Nap town 2, and Nashville just under 3 - I swear i've done nashville in 2, but i drive 95-100mph. nashville is the coolest city in the southeast and top 5 in the country i believe. i could write as much or more about nashville but won't. and i like cincinatti better than indianapolis, but i'm a sucker for authentic german hofbrauhauses on rivers.

louisville is really pretty safe. like any big city, there are some spots you want to avoid, mostly on the west side of town. is what it is.

hope this helps.

Fly into Louisville. There are hotels all around the airport which is less than 2 miles from the stadium. There are also multiple hotels within walking distance to the stadium off Crittenden Drive. As far as attractions, Churchill Downs and museum is right across the street from the stadium, Slugger Museum, Ali Center, Science Museum are all on Main Street approximately 4 miles from the stadium. There are many restaurants off Main and in the Nulu area off Market street or travel a little further east to the Highlands. Louisville is known worldwide for its restaurants. As mentioned, if time permits, definately take the Bourbon trail. Again Louisville is the Bourban capital of the world. You can also walk our beautiful waterfront park and cross the river on the walking bridge an old train bridge dating to the 1800's. Check out the campus for sure. It has been transformed into a beautiful campus setting.

If you drive, and want to get away from the chain restaurants, try The Cast Iron Steakhouse (VERY good and about half the cost of the chains) or Captains Quarters Restaurant (CQ more for the setting than the food, although the food is pretty good) both on Upper River Rd practically next door to each other, or the Anchor Inn in Anchorage (suggest a reservation). All are 15-20 minutes from Downtown.

I would go to CQ for drinks and take in the view, then slide over to Cast Iron for dinner.

Lots to do here, but you won't have time unless you stay a week.

Think Southwest for your flight. Also, while you are down on River Rd. stop by Cunningham's On the Creek for a great fish sandwich and cold beer. You ain't a Louisville restaurant unless you serve a great fried fish sandwich. Cunningham's is between Captain's Quarters and the Cast Iron. Frankfort Ave. is also chock full of really good restaurants along with Nulu and Bardstown Road in the Highlands. Tailgating at UofL is a lot of fun so enjoy yourself. There are a ton of "pay" lots close to the stadium and hotels for your tailgating party. And remember you can have adult beverages at the stadium.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

All is good above. But if your a seafood lover. Mike Lining's is a must. Situated in the southwest corner of Louisville on the Ohio River. Been a stable since 1892. GREAT atmostphere.

Bring your clubs if you're a golfer too. Lots of good and inexpensive courses in this area...

Last edited:
RollemCards and gocds you all have the same mind set I have. I love going down to Cunningham's, Captains Quarters and the Cast Iron Grill. I love the atmosphere and the food, instead of a fried cod fish sandwich I always get the grilled and it is just as good.

Airport advice: For the value conscious you can't beat Allegiant Air but that means a short 1 hr trip via a car rental from Lexington to get to the big city of Louisville. You will save $100-200 per person by going that route. The drive is nice with multiple Thoroughbred horse farms between the two cities. The states capitol (Frankfort) is in-between the two cities of Lexington and Louisville so one could jump off the interstate for a quick tour of the capital but it's a pretty small city.

Airport advice: For the value conscious you can't beat Allegiant Air but that means a short 1 hr trip via a car rental from Lexington to get to the big city of Louisville. You will save $100-200 per person by going that route. The drive is nice with multiple Thoroughbred horse farms between the two cities. The states capitol (Frankfort) is in-between the two cities of Lexington and Louisville so one could jump off the interstate for a quick tour of the capital but it's a pretty small city.

While you are at it you could tour some horse farms or distilleries along the way. However, I have found that flying out of Lexington is not worth the time or extra expense of a rental car. You will be fine travelling Southwest into Louisville. The airport is literally 1 mile from the stadium. As others have said, stay by the stadium. There are plenty of hotels. You will not need a rental car.

Reactions: gocds
This same OP posted the exact same inquiry all over Rivals. Invited him (her) to post the best & worst experiences on our free board after the season.

While you are at it you could tour some horse farms or distilleries along the way. However, I have found that flying out of Lexington is not worth the time or extra expense of a rental car. You will be fine travelling Southwest into Louisville. The airport is literally 1 mile from the stadium. As others have said, stay by the stadium. There are plenty of hotels. You will not need a rental car.

I totally agree with CFBM's comments. I've done the Lexington airport thing a couple of times and it's just not worth the extra traveling time.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

The op is probably gathering material for a magazine which is fine. I think it is rather smart of him to gather information this way.

New great restaurants with very great steaks is La Moo's on the corner of Lexington Ave and Grinstead. It's pricy but the steaks rival Jeff Ruby's and it's not a chain. Very nice menu and bar. If it's in September I believe you can catch a cruise (On the Ohio River) on the Belle of Louisville. I believe the last or at least the oldest paddle wheel in the US.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT