ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Petrino to go

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
He has peaked.

He's not going to get the Cards to the next level.

Grab Brohm before TN or LSU does.

He wont be an instant fix, it will take him 4 yrs or so to get going.
Might as well start now.

Last edited:
Reactions: wilkie01 and Deeva
No no no. Petrino can't do it by himself. He could in conference usa and big East but we need a legit d coordinator. If we had Grantham things would be better. I'm not saying that Grantham was the best, but I never wanted him let go, but we would be a much more respected team this far in the season. Grantham last season at lville we were ranked 10th in total defense. That same year was sirmons first year of being D.C.. His team was either 110th or 111th in total defense. I think i read 110th. I mean come on, sirmons philosophy on running a defense is a joke. Bobby isn't the problem, same as Jurich isn't the problem

Reactions: Law007
Everyone wanting bobby to go so we can bring in brohm aren't thinking. I seriously doubt he would leave after just one year. And I don't kno what Brohms buyout is But with all the crap going on here I don't think we would pay whatever it Is after one year. I hope brohm comes here for sure I just really don't think it would happenafter one season tho

Reactions: Rollem Cards
And I'm not saying I'm hoping we can CBP. I want him until he decides to retire it whatever and when brohm feels he is ready to come back

We need a legit D coordinator. Sirmon isn’t the answer, that’s been proven. The team fundamentally is regressing. For one thing they cant tackle. And his comment yesterday in an interview where he stated talents not important in college FB. Well that scares the heck out of me for future recruiting. CBP get rid of Sirmon.

So it seems like everyone wants to blame the defense, which is a problem, but there's another problem...

BLOCKING

Seriously. How in the world do we not have a solid offensive line rotation in year 4? If we didn't have a mobile QB like Jackson this team might be 0-6 and give up 15 sacks per game along with our expansive collection of false start penalties.

So it seems like everyone wants to blame the defense, which is a problem, but there's another problem...

BLOCKING

Seriously. How in the world do we not have a solid offensive line rotation in year 4? If we didn't have a mobile QB like Jackson this team might be 0-6 and give up 15 sacks per game along with our expansive collection of false start penalties.
Amen. One commentator noted last night the pro scouts wanted to see how Lamar played against a good d line. If I was a pro scout I'd want to see how he performed behind a good o line.

Reactions: BPGhost
He has peaked.

Might as well start now.

I don't know if getting rid of him is the answer. But it is without question he's not the same coach. Sirmon, however, MUST go. He's terrible.

He has peaked.

Might as well start now.
Petrino is now 0-7 in road games where both teams are ranked - 0-4 when his team was ranked higher. Not sure how you can call that peaking. IMO he never got there. He lost his edge when he lost his nastiness as a person. He needs to get mean again. Not once did I see his face turn blood red last night. Even when he was yelling at his players, there was no passion. I know it sounds goofy, but kids can pick up on that and not respond.

Bring Jeff home. He's ready.

If we had Grantham things would be better. I'm not saying that Grantham was the best, but I never wanted him let go, but we would be a much more respected team this far in the season. Grantham last season at lville we were ranked 10th in total defense.

Agreed. The tendency to give up big plays was maddening sometimes, but that was often masked by the turnovers that the over-aggressive defense was able to get. And the stats, well they are impressive as you stated.

But, he's gone. Now we have Peter. Peter hasn't been up for it so far.

One thing you are all overlooking is yes we are now in a big boy conference but what has really changed with the talent level we are bringing in? It's not going to happen overnight. It's taken Clemson 20 some years. FSU has been pretty consistent because they don't have a dropoff in talent except when the big recruits go to UF, Alabama or wherever. We are who we are. We also need continuity in our coaching and whether that's Bobby or not, I don't know.

As stated above, bring Jeff home. Purdue is a mediocre job, bring Brohm home while Louisville still has lots of luster. Petrino has literally crapped the bed since late last season.

Reactions: jts_cards
I'd like to know what has happened to Bobby Petrino's play calling. He used to strive for a balanced attack because that's the best way to keep a defense unsettled. Now we have him not running the ball at all and then running play action passes (note to new Bobby - play action is useless if you don't ever run the ball)

Reactions: CardsFirst
I'd like to know what has happened to Bobby Petrino's play calling. He used to strive for a balanced attack because that's the best way to keep a defense unsettled. Now we have him not running the ball at all and then running play action passes (note to new Bobby - play action is useless if you don't ever run the ball)

Bobby has abandoned what he knows best in favor of catering to Lamar's skill set. He's kind of learning as he goes.

One thing you are all overlooking is yes we are now in a big boy conference but what has really changed with the talent level we are bringing in? It's not going to happen overnight. It's taken Clemson 20 some years. FSU has been pretty consistent because they don't have a dropoff in talent except when the big recruits go to UF, Alabama or wherever. We are who we are. We also need continuity in our coaching and whether that's Bobby or not, I don't know.

/thread

Blitzes out the a$$ and not one screen? The shovel pass worked twice for good gains.

And somebody who says "Bobby isn't the problem" please remind me who exactly hires the DC's etc?

Sirmon can't make chicken salad out of chicken $#!t no matter how good a coach he is. We have 20+ DBs on roster, and not one DL who can rush a passer. THAT's on CBP. So it doesn't matter how many 4 star DBs there are. They can't cover all day.

Our recruiting on DEFENSE is lacking big time to play BIG TIME football.

Who oversees all this? Our OC who is acting HC.

Everybody else at UL is acting, might as well have an acting FB coach too. :rolleyes:

I don't know. It seems recruiting is/was getting better, but that's for down the road.

Right now, if you keep LJ in the pocket, you beat us.

I would have like to see Pass get a series last night. Lot better touch than LJ. I know, I'm nuckin futz to take LJ out.

But their plan was to keep the QB in the pocket, and unquestionably Pass is better in the pocket. LJ couldn't throw the long ball in the ocean last night.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Bobby has abandoned what he knows best in favor of catering to Lamar's skill set. He's kind of learning as he goes.
I kind of thought the same thing but remember CBP's offense thrived under Lefors. Now I know Stefan doesn't have the same ability as LJ and maybe LJ doesn't have the same weapons to go to. One big difference is we don't have any running game to speak of besides LJ. If he keeps running like last night, he's bound to get hurt, God forbid. We need to back off all the deep throws (most of them inaccurate) and try to establish some kind of run game and then set up the pass, not vice versa.

I kind of thought the same thing but remember CBP's offense thrived under Lefors. Now I know Stefan doesn't have the same ability as LJ and maybe LJ doesn't have the same weapons to go to. One big difference is we don't have any running game to speak of besides LJ. If he keeps running like last night, he's bound to get hurt, God forbid. We need to back off all the deep throws (most of them inaccurate) and try to establish some kind of run game and then set up the pass, not vice versa.
This X a freaking Million!

Reactions: wilkie01
He has peaked.

Might as well start now.

Brohm is going to be a stud hire for some big time program. As a UK fan I'd hate to see him coaching at UofL. It's definitely the smart move if UofL could hire him whenever Petrino leave, young guy, proven winner.

Agree. Maybin brough this up this morning. Early in the game Reggie had a nice 5 yard run on first down, and on second down we emptied the backfield. The lack of a running game is killing us.

Whatever Bobby has been trying to do, it hasn’t been working for a while, but he’s not adjusting. Has he lost his mojo? Something is off.

Blitzes out the a$$ and not one screen? The shovel pass worked twice for good gains.

And somebody who says "Bobby isn't the problem" please remind me who exactly hires the DC's etc?

Sirmon can't make chicken salad out of chicken $#!t no matter how good a coach he is. We have 20+ DBs on roster, and not one DL who can rush a passer. THAT's on CBP. So it doesn't matter how many 4 star DBs there are. They can't cover all day.

Our recruiting on DEFENSE is lacking big time to play BIG TIME football.

Who oversees all this? Our OC who is acting HC.

Everybody else at UL is acting, might as well have an acting FB coach too. :rolleyes:

I don't know. It seems recruiting is/was getting better, but that's for down the road.

Right now, if you keep LJ in the pocket, you beat us.

I would have like to see Pass get a series last night. Lot better touch than LJ. I know, I'm nuckin futz to take LJ out.

But their plan was to keep the QB in the pocket, and unquestionably Pass is better in the pocket. LJ couldn't throw the long ball in the ocean last night.

Don’t you mean interim? Lol.
I thought about Pass also, but Lamar barely had time to do anything so knowing he’s much more mobile than Pass, Pass probably wasn’t an option.,

What has happened to Bobby?

He lost his top 3 receivers and top running back from last year, also his best returning back is out for the year as well. Not to mention some good players on D left an his all-American DB is not healthy. Lost 2 O-Linemen from an already thin unit from last season.

You all have Lamar, but its just a young team that is rebuilding around him with key players hurt. Lamar is just masking the problems of a team in transition. You all have some players who will develop in time, it just sucks that your best player in school history won't get to be there when those younger guys develop.

Reactions: Cardhorn
The o.line hasn't come together yet. The d line isn't getting the pressure they have in past years on the opposing quarterback, so it leaves the secondary exposed. Perino counts this year on the best player in the nation getting a big lead and taking away the other teams run option. That way the d line can pin their ears back and rush. It works as long as that line can get there.

I'm all in for blowing up football right now too. You can't eff too many things up at one time IMO. I'm really hoping for a total sports NCAA death penalty...

o_O

Reactions: Kratz
Half-serious sarcasm targeted at a few with wobbly knees at the moment...

I agree we have to be more committed to the running game but when teams are loading up against the run and run blitzing into the gaps it’s pretty hard to run to set up the pass. I think that’s why BP is abandoning the running backs early in the game.

Along with being committed to the running backs throughout close games, it would help if Lamar could be more accurate early in the game and receivers not named Fitzpatrick would quit dropping balls. It’s impossible to overstate what those drive killing plays do to a team.

What’s more demoralizing on 1st down, a sack, an incomplete pass to a wide open receiver or a handoff for 3 yards? I’m not suggesting not to throw on first down but the lack of execution is what’s killing this offense.

I agree we have to be more committed to the running game but when teams are loading up against the run and run blitzing into the gaps it’s pretty hard to run to set up the pass. I think that’s why BP is abandoning the running backs early in the game.

Along with being committed to the running backs throughout close games, it would help if Lamar could be more accurate early in the game and receivers not named Fitzpatrick would quit dropping balls. It’s impossible to overstate what those drive killing plays do to a team.

What’s more demoralizing on 1st down, a sack, an incomplete pass to a wide open receiver or a handoff for 3 yards? I’m not suggesting not to throw on first down but the lack of execution is what’s killing this offense.
I don't think he's abandoning the running game, he just doesn't have a good running game to rely on right now. Radcliff was a monster last year and he was highly underrated to the success of your team and Bobby really relied on him to open things up.

With Smith hurt along with Radcliff to the pros...there is not a running game for Bobby to rely on..especially with the poor offensive line.

What about a quick slant pass or a tunnel screen to Samuels. Quick hitters instead of the long developing route plays that LJ overthrows the receiver by 10-20 yards. What about the two option plays to Bonnafon, a right handed thrower running both times to his left? There are so many instances of where it seems we are using the wrong personnel for the wrong play.

I don't think he's abandoning the running game, he just doesn't have a good running game to rely on right now. Radcliff was a monster last year and he was highly underrated to the success of your team and Bobby really relied on him to open things up.

With Smith hurt along with Radcliff to the pros...there is not a running game for Bobby to rely on..especially with the poor offensive line.
Love B Radcliff but a healthy Malik Williams is absolutely not a drop off in talent.

Once again, it’s not about talent, it’s about how defenses are scheming us now compared to the first half of last season.

As stated above, bring Jeff home. Purdue is a mediocre job, bring Brohm home while Louisville still has lots of luster. Petrino has literally crapped the bed since late last season.

Do you truly believe Brohm would leave Purdue after 1 season especially with everything going on at UL right now? I don't think that's realistic.

Do you truly believe Brohm would leave Purdue after 1 season especially with everything going on at UL right now? I don't think that's realistic.
Yes it is. He is as L1C4 as any person on earth. He has deep rooted ties to the university and you can bet your last dollar that if the Louisville job is ever offered to him, he'll take it ESPECIALLY now that Jurich is out of the picture.

Bring Jeff home. It's time.

It's not realistic. Not all of our fans are realistic. Other obstacles would be an Interim/Acting AD making the call to fire a head coach with a winning record, buying him out, paying the buy-out of Jeff's contract, and assuming Jeff is going to jump at the opportunity to replace his friend and mentor who was canned with a winning record.

Even if I were in Jeff's position - and I think it can be argued the Brohms are as big of Cardinal fans as any of us - I would not consider the move right now. It would be unwise.

It's not realistic. Not all of our fans are realistic. Other obstacles would be an Interim/Acting AD making the call to fire a head coach with a winning record, buying him out, paying the buy-out of Jeff's contract, and assuming Jeff is going to jump at the opportunity to replace his friend and mentor who was canned with a winning record.

Even if I were in Jeff's position - and I think it can be argued the Brohms are as big of Cardinal fans as any of us - I would not consider the move right now. It would be unwise.

Hit the nail on the head here. Couldn't agree more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT