ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game last night.

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
Obviously I was wrong in my prediction. But to me Louisville's issues are defensively, not offensively. There were red flags when Louisville gave up 35 points to a pedestrian North Carolina offense. But I just thought Lamar Jackson was enough to overcome it. I was wrong. Lamar didn't have his best game but Clemson's defense is really good and held Louisville to 21 points. What I didn't figure is Clemson's offense putting up 47 points after they scored just 14 points against Auburn. Jaire Alexander being out hurt Louisville last night but it will be interesting to see if Louisville's defense gets better as the season goes on. If you remember FSU had a pretty bad defense at the start of last year and by the end of the season they were like the FSU defenses of old.

For us, I'm just hoping our True Freshman Quarterback is a good player and that remains to be seen since we've been off the past two weeks so we have our own issues to figure out. Clemson is definitely the favorite in the Atlantic but there is still some intrigue in how it will all shake out at the end.

Louisville had issues offensively and defensively last night.

Game was a nightmare.

The interesting thing will be how does this team respond after a loss like this one.

I thought the defense held their own in the 1st half and the offense was just awful. You have to give credit to Clemson.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Obviously I was wrong in my prediction. But to me Louisville's issues are defensively, not offensively. There were red flags when Louisville gave up 35 points to a pedestrian North Carolina offense. But I just thought Lamar Jackson was enough to overcome it. I was wrong. Lamar didn't have his best game but Clemson's defense is really good and held Louisville to 21 points. What I didn't figure is Clemson's offense putting up 47 points after they scored just 14 points against Auburn. Jaire Alexander being out hurt Louisville last night but it will be interesting to see if Louisville's defense gets better as the season goes on. If you remember FSU had a pretty bad defense at the start of last year and by the end of the season they were like the FSU defenses of old.

For us, I'm just hoping our True Freshman Quarterback is a good player and that remains to be seen since we've been off the past two weeks so we have our own issues to figure out. Clemson is definitely the favorite in the Atlantic but there is still some intrigue in how it will all shake out at the end.

You heavily underestimated Auburns defense. Our O is still very potent and our D is the best in the nation.

Louisville fans were super hospitable. My group had a great time. On the other hand I can't wait to welcome the Noles with reciprocity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigTimeTiger
You heavily underestimated Auburns defense. Our O is still very potent and our D is the best in the nation.

Louisville fans were super hospitable. My group had a great time. On the other hand I can't wait to welcome the Noles with reciprocity. Douchenozzle fans.
Douchenozzle fans? Really classy. I would say you are a douchenozzle fan. Every fan base has them. I always try to be classy. I welcomed the Clemson fans with open arms at Doak last year even after we got hosed with the Phantom Chop Block call that basically changed the entire complexion of the game. We have our share of douchenozzle fans for sure. So does Clemson and I would say you are one of them.

Last edited:
Douchenozzle fans? Really classy. I would say you are a douchenozzle fan. Every fan base has them. I always try to be classy. I welcomed the Clemson fans with open arms at Doak last year even after we got hosed with the Phantom Chop Block call that basically changed the entire complexion of the game. We have our share of douchenozzle fans for sure. So does Clemson and I would say you are one of them.
You are right, every fan base has them. That said, I've never had a big issue with FSU fans. There have been some that were tough to stomach, but most have been cool. The worst fan bases I have encountered are those fans of mediocre teams who haven't been there before and have an over-inflated view of their program. Bama fans, Auburn fans, FSU fans, etc. have all been great for the most part.

You are right, every fan base has them. That said, I've never had a big issue with FSU fans. There have been some that were tough to stomach, but most have been cool. The worst fan bases I have encountered are those fans of mediocre teams who haven't been there before and have an over-inflated view of their program. Bama fans, Auburn fans, FSU fans, etc. have all been great for the most part.
You are right. In Atlanta two weeks ago, there weren't any problems between Bama and FSU fans. Also, I try to avoid comments like BanksMcFadden made up there that generalize an entire fanbase. Every fanbase has classy fans. Every fanbase has obnoxious fans. The obnoxious fans always tend to come out more in rivalry games.

FSU/Clemson is probably as big of a rivalry as FSU/Miami and tends to cause a lot of taunting and trash talk. My point is generally people who accuse others of being douchnozzle are typically douchnozzle themselves.

The other thing is I was happy when Clemson won the National Championship. A lot more happy than I remember most Clemson fans being when we beat Auburn in 2013 to win the National Championship.

Typically pride cometh before a fall. As good as Kelly Bryant may be, he isn't Deshaun Watson. Just like the guys we have at Quarterback now aren't Jameis Winston. Don't forget that FSU started 6-0 back in 2015 in the first year of the post Jameis Winston era. I give Clemson credit. They are a good team. As long as Swinney is there they'll always be a good team regardless of who is their Quarterback. But Deshaun Watson's and Jameis Winston's don't just grow on trees.

Thoughts? Many, but one dominates...speed kills.

There is a HUGE disparity in speed between UofL and Clemson. Clemson defense faster than our offense; our defense slower than Clemson offense. And that falls under the talent/recruiting category.

Relative to our division there is clearly a glass ceiling between Clemson and FSU and the rest of division; rest of the league for that matter. I do expect Miami to return to national prominence in the next few years. Just too much talent within 25 miles of campus. Everybody else is/will be chasing those 3. JMO

Peace

Reactions: Deeva
Thoughts? Many, but one dominates...speed kills.

There is a HUGE disparity in speed between UofL and Clemson. Clemson defense faster than our offense; our defense slower than Clemson offense. And that falls under the talent/recruiting category.

Relative to our division there is clearly a glass ceiling between Clemson and FSU and the rest of division; rest of the league for that matter. I do expect Miami to return to national prominence in the next few years. Just too much talent within 25 miles of campus. Everybody else is/will be chasing those 3. JMO

Peace

Clemson fan here. Glad to have you guys in the ACC. We needed another fan base that enjoys football. Think you are right about Miami, but would add Virginia Tech as well. They have loyal fans too. The rest have no interest in football. Good luck the rest of the way.

Reactions: JohnCard28
Clemson fan here. Glad to have you guys in the ACC. We needed another fan base that enjoys football. Think you are right about Miami, but would add Virginia Tech as well. They have loyal fans too. The rest have no interest in football. Good luck the rest of the way.
Thanks...and we are very happy to be there. VPI indeed has a solid football history but, in terms of "winnability" I would swap you guys for Tech on our schedule in a NY second.

To be honest, when Clemson moved Dabo to HC I thought it was a bad move. I could not have been more wrong. He has accomplished that last and hardest step - moving a very good team into the "elite" category. Best of luck on the rest of the season.

Peace

We were out coached and outclassed last night. Clemson will be hard to beat and may win it all again this year.

Top CB being out hurt y'all bad. It's crazy that we are so deep now we've had two starters out in our secondary two weeks in a row, stomach bug go through the locker room and we still handle business. We may not make it back but Dabo has built a monster. FSU used to do this to us. Keep your head up. You're in the toughest division in college football. More fun than it used to be right?

Thanks...and we are very happy to be there. VPI indeed has a solid football history but, in terms of "winnability" I would swap you guys for Tech on our schedule in a NY second.

To be honest, when Clemson moved Dabo to HC I thought it was a bad move. I could not have been more wrong. He has accomplished that last and hardest step - moving a very good team into the "elite" category. Best of luck on the rest of the season.

Peace

I wanted Gary Patterson instead of Dabo. Have never been more wrong. You need recruiters on your staff with southeast connections.

You can't really give our offense much credit for the late scores Saturday nite. The game was decided by the time Lamar started having much success. For all I know, Clemson was substituting liberally on defense; I know they were doing it on offense.

The Louisville offense sucked pretty badly in the first half which was when the game was decided. Six punts by halftime has to be a U of L record under Petrino. The defense had little left in the tank for the 2nd half, and it showed...

You can't really give our offense much credit for the late scores Saturday nite. The game was decided by the time Lamar started having much success. For all I know, Clemson was substituting liberally on defense; I know they were doing it on offense.

The Louisville offense sucked pretty badly in the first half which was when the game was decided. Six punts by halftime has to be a U of L record under Petrino. The defense had little left in the tank for the 2nd half, and it showed...

We did have our backups in but those guys can play too. Your offense is dangerous af.

Really a nervous game playing you guys especially with LJ. That guy is unbelievably shifty as a runner and can throw it too. We have a very good to excellent D and an improving O. The game turned on a few plays and also the close misses you had on more than a few throws. It is hard to beat us when we don't turn it over. All that said good luck the rest of the way and very glad you are in our conference. I hope you beat Kentucky by 35 points.

200.gif

the call where Dalvin got tackled at the 30 yardline? that play? changed the "whole complexion of the game"???

Really a nervous game playing you guys especially with LJ. That guy is unbelievably shifty as a runner and can throw it too. We have a very good to excellent D and an improving O. The game turned on a few plays and also the close misses you had on more than a few throws. It is hard to beat us when we don't turn it over. All that said good luck the rest of the way and very glad you are in our conference. I hope you beat Kentucky by 35 points.
The game turned? LOL OK. I'm not 100% convinced it ever turned. Clemson dominated the game from start to finish. NO excuses offered up by me. Clemson just kicked our butts. Hopefully the team AND coaches learn from it and get better.

The game turned? LOL OK. I'm not 100% convinced it ever turned. Clemson dominated the game from start to finish. NO excuses offered up by me. Clemson just kicked our butts. Hopefully the team AND coaches learn from it and get better.
The way it turned out biases everyone. That was a game the better part of the first half--until it became obvious to everyone in the stadium that U of L was not going to figure out how to attack Clemson offensively. The defense started to wear down, and everything mushroomed.

Had U of L been able to move the ball with any efficiency, that game would have been more competitive. Our offense was simply dominated until the outcome wasn't in any doubt...

Reactions: Cue Card
The way it turned out biases everyone. That was a game the better part of the first half--until it became obvious to everyone in the stadium that U of L was not going to figure out how to attack Clemson offensively. The defense started to wear down, and everything mushroomed.

Had U of L been able to move the ball with any efficiency, that game would have been more competitive. Our offense was simply dominated until the outcome wasn't in any doubt...
No doubt, but that's the 'excuse' part that I was avoiding. had - If - would - could - are just words which help describe why we failed as a team to play better against a superior team. It's OK. We'll learn from it. Hopefully we'll get better because of it too.

200.gif

the call where Dalvin got tackled at the 30 yardline? that play? changed the "whole complexion of the game"???
Yep. The play where we went from 1st and 10 on the Clemson 30 yard line with a 28-23 lead to 1st and 30 from our own 10 yard line.

Last edited:
Yep. The play where we went from 1st and 10 on the Clemson 30 yard line with a 28-23 lead to 1st and 30 from our own 10 yard line.

What can I tell you...don't chop block.The bottom line is you had/ have an undisciplined team that commits tons of penalties. You made it easy for the ref to call.

You also had the lead with 2 minutes to go and couldn't hold it.
Then had the ball at midfield with a minute to go and couldn't get a FG, due to 2 false starts and 2 sacks.

Last edited:
What can I tell you...don't chop block.The bottom line is you had/ have an undisciplined team that commits tons of penalties. You made it easy for the ref to call.

You also had the lead with 2 minutes to go and couldn't hold it.
Then had the ball at midfield with a minute to go and couldn't get a FG, due to 2 false starts and 2 sacks.
You missed my point. It wasn't a chop block. The video clearly showed it wasn't a chop block. The Clemson defender was not engaged with another player and Freddie Stevenson clearly made contact with the defender above the waist on his block. Hence, that is why I called it the Phantom Chop Block. Anyway, that incorrect call only cost us about 60 yards of field position in a one possession game and put us back up on our own goal line at 1st and 30.

Last edited:
You've truly arrived as a program when fans of other schools argue with each other on your board.

Thanks guys. Good luck to you both next game.

Reactions: zipp

Well, the NC game is a little misleading in that 7 points came on a KO return and 7 came with about 5 seconds left in the game, so really they just got 21 against the starters. However, I get your point. Here's my point- the best defense is s good offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT