ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Jalen Hurd?

I dont think we'll get him, but it would be nice. We have plenty of RB's that will be here several years and he isn't eligible until 2018 anyways after he transfers. Which sucks.

Reactions: mattp58
I live in Tennessee, so naturally I am surrounded by Vol fans and Vol sports radio. Hurd quit the team because he got benched. He's a prima donna and a locker room cancer. We don't need him. Let him go to an AAC school or something.

He didn't like the offense the Vols were running, he's a big back who needs to run down hill. That's not what we are running right now.

I don't like the idea of a 1 year player personally as I think it harms team chemistry, etc. If we plan to take another RB this year, I would rather have AJ Davis, without question.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
The rumors I had heard was he wanted to play more of a receivers role and get away from being a back. Thought this would be a better fit for the next level. I believe we are ok on receivers.​

Reactions: mattp58
The rumors I had heard was he wanted to play more of a receivers role and get away from being a back. Thought this would be a better fit for the next level. I believe we are ok on receivers.​

Petrino does love big physical receivers, and at 6-3, 230#, Hurd would be exactly what we are looking for in that area....

Reactions: Niterider55
He didn't like the offense the Vols were running, he's a big back who needs to run down hill. That's not what we are running right now.
Actually, I'm not sure "what" we are doing with RBs now. True, CBP 1.0 liked the big power back but I'm just not convinced that is the "best" style RB to compliment the spread option running game with Jackson. Regardless of how we get it or who gets it I think a big point for 2017 should be to try to get more production out of the RB position. That will take some of the heat off Jackson and set up the play action passing game (something CBP likes). But in the big picture that will be more about O-line play than RB play.

To the point of the thread I'm just not sure you tie a scholarship up for 2 years just to get 1 year of possible help. IMO, if Hurd comes in as a grad transfer and be eligible this year that would be a much better deal.

Peace

Actually, I'm not sure "what" we are doing with RBs now. True, CBP 1.0 liked the big power back but I'm just not convinced that is the "best" style RB to compliment the spread option running game with Jackson. Regardless of how we get it or who gets it I think a big point for 2017 should be to try to get more production out of the RB position. That will take some of the heat off Jackson and set up the play action passing game (something CBP likes). But in the big picture that will be more about O-line play than RB play.

To the point of the thread I'm just not sure you tie a scholarship up for 2 years just to get 1 year of possible help. IMO, if Hurd comes in as a grad transfer and be eligible this year that would be a much better deal.

Peace

Based on the offensive linemen we are recruiting and some of the statements by Petrino and Summers, I think the offense is going to get back closer to a more traditional Petrino offense.

Reactions: GoldCard

This is true. Hurd wants to play WR/TE at his next stop. I say bring him on board.

Based on the offensive linemen we are recruiting and some of the statements by Petrino and Summers, I think the offense is going to get back closer to a more traditional Petrino offense.
And minimize the talents of the best player we have ever had, I doubt it. I can see a bigger emphasis on the power option (Bama offense), but no way we abandon the spread with the qbs on roster. Petrino 1.0 offense is dead, nobody in college runs successfully runs a pro-set offense anymore, more to the point; no one who will win the NC runs a pro set.

Petrino says we run a "multiple" offense, which I believe means elements from different offensive schemes and styles. He probably doesn't see a power-spread and read-option as incompatible--just plays in a playbook and different personnel groups...

Pass on him. Once a quitter, always a quitter. And in mid season too!:eek::oops:o_O

And minimize the talents of the best player we have ever had, I doubt it. I can see a bigger emphasis on the power option (Bama offense), but no way we abandon the spread with the qbs on roster. Petrino 1.0 offense is dead, nobody in college runs successfully runs a pro-set offense anymore, more to the point; no one who will win the NC runs a pro set.

And where did I say we were going to do this overnight? And where did I say we were going to minimize his talents? Yes, I think we will run less straight read option because 1) Petrino knows it is too simplistic, 2) he is trying to prepare Lamar and other QBs for the NFL. I think the evolution of Clemson's offense over the 3 years of Deshaun Watson is a good template of evolving the offense as the QB becomes more knowledgeable and is looking to become an NFL QB.

As to your comment about pro-sets not winning NC. Alabama did manage to do it with Jake Coker and AJ McCarron is the past few years. And I'm guessing you will see USC in the hunt next season.

Reactions: genowe and GoldCard
What about 2013 fsu? That was almost as pro set as it gets.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
Hurd was @ the basketball game yesterday, any news on when he'll decide on if he'll come here or not?

Haven't heard anything on Hurd but if petrino wants him, I want him.

And yes, we are going mostly pro offense next year.

Jalen reminds me of Caldwell Gardner and Michael Bush. He appears to be the back that Petrino favored in his old multi set pro set style offense. This is good.
As a TE/receiver, he would appear to fill a need with the loss of Hikitini. Another poster mentioned the need to layout a year. I was just assuming he was a graduate transfer.

Reactions: wilkie01
As a TE/receiver, he would appear to fill a need with the loss of Hikitini. Another poster mentioned the need to layout a year. I was just assuming he was a graduate transfer.

He would cause multiple headaches for opponent defenses. They will have to account for him on every play.

I hope Jalen joins. It will be up to the coaches to make sure there's no "I" in the team. And besides, it will piss off hordes of u of k fans.

I believe we have to have some aspects of the power run in the red zone. Do you agree?

IMO Colin Wilson will fill that power back role nicely. #2 RB in the state of Florida. 6'0", 205. They'll add 5-10 pounds of muscle to him by the time season starts. Just depends on how quickly he catches on to the system.

IMO Colin Wilson will fill that power back role nicely. #2 RB in the state of Florida. 6'0", 205. They'll add 5-10 pounds of muscle to him by the time season starts. Just depends on how quickly he catches on to the system.
At the signing day party Colin was listed at 215 or 225 so they have him where he needs to be already. I think he will push for time next year if Jeremy smith doesn't really step up to the plate. And by 2018 the job is his to lose.

Any news on Jalen Hurd? With the Dae Williams injury does it change our interest?

I cannot fathom why, but he is going to Baylor. They will probably be on probation when he is next able to play. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT