ADVERTISEMENT

This season was a major disappointment, and next year is gonna be worse

LeFors4Ever

3500+
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
I'm glad the boys finished the season out on a high note, but I cannot help but be angry with how far our expectations fell this season now that I look back. We have probably the greatest player in college history, and we went 8-4 against a schedule with only 1 currently ranked team. We beat 1 team with a winning record. The ACC was weak this year, and we had the transcendent player to beat them.

I love beating sUcKs and today was great for me. I was there yelling my butt off, but its sad. We went from playoff hopefuls 1 year ago...to now UK WAS OUR SUPER BOWL. That sickens me that the highlight of Lamar Jackson's final year was a win over LPT. That is the only team with a winning record we beat. I am embarrassed that we stooped to pouring gatorade on our coach for beating the worst major D1 football program that we routinely beat. Beating UK is not something to brag about, we should beat them by 30+ every year and thats what I expect.

I am scared to think what our team will be next year. You can sunshine pump the "Pass will be Bobby 1.0" but its WRONG. Our offense will take a large step back next year. We will not have someone throw for 3k yards on 60% passing. We not only lose a 1K yard rusher in Lamar, but also our next leading two rushers in Reggie and Malik. I think Pass can be good, but he's not Lamar and our offense will take one giant step back. Our defense was awful this year, and now we are gonna lose Hearns, Young, Richardson, Thomas, Chucky Williams, Alexander, and probably Jaire. And if Simonthorpe is back, we can only pray.

I think Bobby is still a good coach, but nobody here can be satisfied with the direction of the program looking back. I was sunshine pumping myself until I saw our players dump the gatorade on Bobby. No more can we tell the slappys that the game doesn't matter as much to us...because we showed it did and that sickens me that we have stooped. I am happy with that game, but sad about the season. The recruiting is staying in the 30's at best and I don't see another Lamar walking in that door. I am worried for our future, I think Bobby is the man to do it but who knows with all the chaos around here. We were so close just 1 year back, but now Im sad to realize we appear maxed out as a 9-3 team at best in the ACC.

Your expectation were way to high. I’ll admit losing to WF and BC sucked, but we had two freshman playing on our O-line. And freshman playing on D. I for one expected 8-4 or at best 9-3. I’m pretty confident about next year. Pass has talent he’s more of a pocket passer and our entire O-line should return. Good at WR and running back. So the D will have to replace several but that’s not a Bridge to far. Especially if our offense produced like they have over the last several games. Will we beat Bama...probably not but after that who knows.

Not completely sold on Sirmon but the D has improved. Will see but I’m not overly concerned.,

I love beating sUcKs and today was great for me. I was there yelling my butt off, but its sad. No more can we tell the slappys that the game doesn't matter as much to us...because we showed it did and that sickens me that we have stooped. I am happy with that game, but sad about the season.

Beating UK was great for you and you screamed your butt off watching it but you’re sickened by the players who worked their butts off for the last month celebrating blowing out their in-state rivals?

I know UK football is ‘small time’ but it’s ok to celebrate this win along with the 3 game winning streak to end the season. I look at the Gatorade bath as just the players finally letting loose and having fun with their Head Coach after a long season.

Next year will probably be a tough year, but you may be presently surprised. I’m thinking it may be another 8-4 year. Pass will probably have some growing pains, but the entire offense is returning otherwise. Our RB group was mediocre tbh and Dae and Colin are better than Reggie and Malik even though those guys are great team mates and played well when we needed them. Alabama will roll us by 20 or 30 something but the rest of the season will be very winnable.

Reactions: wilkie01
Some, like the OP, are prone to hyperbole too. Nothing is really as bad as it seems, and nothing is ever really as good as it seems.

And never is a long time. Many said the Cards would never have another Teddy Bridgewater at QB, or Brian Brohm, or Stefan LeFors, etc, etc.on and on it goes.

Let's just enjoy Lamar for one more game....and be concerned for next years team, next year.o_O:rolleyes::oops: What a novel idea that is.

Last edited:
LeFors, LeFors, LeFors!

[think Brady Bunch...bet he hates having people screw up his name lol]

Some, like the OP, are prone to hyperbole too. Nothing is really as bad as it seems, and nothing is ever really as good as it seems.

And never is a long time. Many said the Cards would never have another Teddy Bridgewater at QB, or Brian Brohm, or Stefan LeFlors, etc, etc.on and on it goes.

Let's just enjoy Lamar for one more game....and be concerned for next years team, next year.o_O:rolleyes::oops: What a novel idea that is.

Reactions: wilkie01

And never is a long time. Many said the Cards would never have another Teddy Bridgewater at QB, or Brian Brohm, or Stefan LeFlors, etc, etc.on and on it goes.

There is a difference between Teddy and Lamar. Teddy could not have carried this sad excuse for a supporting cast this season.

Am I wrong for expecting more? Will we ever have a LeBron James level talent at QB again combined with this WEAK of a schedule? Am I wrong for asking why we went from playoff expectations to making sUcKs our Super Bowl. We have a $4 million dollar coach and a large stadium expansion coming.

If you guys are ok with 8-4 and 9-3 ceilings, then I am ok with it too, but I will have lower expectations. I really feel like we have not accomplished anything since that night at Clemson last year.

I mean the only thing we have had since our FSU win to brag about is Lamar's stats. I see those stats and think wow and wonder why we could not capitalize on this moment. FSU being this far down was our moment to capitalize along with the rest of our division being pedestrian. We have the best player in the nation and should have ran through our schedule. I don't care how you spin it, BC and Wake should not have beaten us and it should not have been close.

Maybe the guy above is right, maybe my expectations were way too high. Now I am not a Jurich cult follower, but I am starting to wonder with him leaving if our mindset of championship level play at all sports will start to fade.

I'll reiterate what I've said before on this subject in general...

ANY year we finish with double digit wins in a P5 conference is a success. I don't care who's on our schedule or how good you think we are. If we ever finish 10-3 or better, that year was a success.

This team has a shot at going 9-4. A difference of one game does not take you from "success" to "major disappointment". If it does, you need a new gauge to measure this stuff. I'll even argue that a 2-game differential (8-5) doesn't bridge that gap. At this juncture, a loss in a bowl game to a team no better than we are would be disappointing, but not "major".

Some of you guys like the OP need a little reality check. You ain't Bama or Clemson. You ain't even Florida State, and look where they finished the year. You're a Top 25 program that year-in, year-out has to keep trying to maintain or improve. Eight or nine wins in just about any year is maintaining IMO.

And BTW, football is an 85-player sport. As great as Lamar is, he ain't winning many games against really good teams by himself. If he played point guard or was a starting pitcher, you'd have a better argument...

I'm glad the boys finished the season out on a high note, but I cannot help but be angry with how far our expectations fell this season now that I look back. We have probably the greatest player in college history, and we went 8-4 against a schedule with only 1 currently ranked team. We beat 1 team with a winning record. The ACC was weak this year, and we had the transcendent player to beat them.

I love beating sUcKs and today was great for me. I was there yelling my butt off, but its sad. We went from playoff hopefuls 1 year ago...to now UK WAS OUR SUPER BOWL. That sickens me that the highlight of Lamar Jackson's final year was a win over LPT. That is the only team with a winning record we beat. I am embarrassed that we stooped to pouring gatorade on our coach for beating the worst major D1 football program that we routinely beat. Beating UK is not something to brag about, we should beat them by 30+ every year and thats what I expect.

I am scared to think what our team will be next year. You can sunshine pump the "Pass will be Bobby 1.0" but its WRONG. Our offense will take a large step back next year. We will not have someone throw for 3k yards on 60% passing. We not only lose a 1K yard rusher in Lamar, but also our next leading two rushers in Reggie and Malik. I think Pass can be good, but he's not Lamar and our offense will take one giant step back. Our defense was awful this year, and now we are gonna lose Hearns, Young, Richardson, Thomas, Chucky Williams, Alexander, and probably Jaire. And if Simonthorpe is back, we can only pray.

I think Bobby is still a good coach, but nobody here can be satisfied with the direction of the program looking back. I was sunshine pumping myself until I saw our players dump the gatorade on Bobby. No more can we tell the slappys that the game doesn't matter as much to us...because we showed it did and that sickens me that we have stooped. I am happy with that game, but sad about the season. The recruiting is staying in the 30's at best and I don't see another Lamar walking in that door. I am worried for our future, I think Bobby is the man to do it but who knows with all the chaos around here. We were so close just 1 year back, but now Im sad to realize we appear maxed out as a 9-3 team at best in the ACC.

Dude, we had many players injured early in the season. Now they are mostly healthy and look at three huge wins. Are you a Cat fan trolling us? I think we will have 8 plus wins next year at minimum and 9 or 10 more likely.

If he played point guard or was a starting pitcher, you'd have a better argument...

Ben Simmons took his team to the NIT. The OP is ridiculous and hopefully he's just doing a steady dose of drugs, or chugging energy drinks on the reg.

The expectation should have been roughly 8 wins. New DC, lost a lot of players on the D side, O Line was a big ? mark, and overall mindset of team following last year's collapse down the stretch was also a ? mark.

Fans should want to win them all, and hope for titles in every sport. Sure. Go Team.

Reactions: Mayoman
I think this season turned out about as well as it could with Jaire and some other key players injured most of the year. We just don't have the depth to compete at the highest levels when everyone's not healthy.

Last year was a similar situation. When our starters on defense started getting banged up, it's not a coincidence the season went South. This year was the opposite, we were banged up early and got healthy at the end. So the 3-game winning streak isn't a coincidence, either. When we're healthy we're a Top 25 team.

Reactions: Mayoman
I'll reiterate what I've said before on this subject in general...

ANY year we finish with double digit wins in a P5 conference is a success. I don't care who's on our schedule or how good you think we are. If we ever finish 10-3 or better, that year was a success.

This team has a shot at going 9-4. A difference of one game does not take you from "success" to "major disappointment". If it does, you need a new gauge to measure this stuff. I'll even argue that a 2-game differential (8-5) doesn't bridge that gap. At this juncture, a loss in a bowl game to a team no better than we are would be disappointing, but not "major".

Some of you guys like the OP need a little reality check. You ain't Bama or Clemson. You ain't even Florida State, and look where they finished the year. You're a Top 25 program that year-in, year-out has to keep trying to maintain or improve. Eight or nine wins in just about any year is maintaining IMO.

And BTW, football is an 85-player sport. As great as Lamar is, he ain't winning many games against really good teams by himself. If he played point guard or was a starting pitcher, you'd have a better argument...
Man, Jurich is gone 2 months and we are developing the Slappy mindset. This team was ranked 15/16th in the preseason. We don't pay a coach $4 million a year to go to Banjo Bowls. If you take out the FSU win last year, what is our highlight in the 2.0 era that makes you feel confident that we can take the step that Howard guaranteed?

8-4 against a bad schedule is OK? Our only "BIG" win is against our so called RIVALS where we pour gatorade on the coaches? What kind of program are we for dumping gatorade for beating the slappys? Are you ok with being like them? Are you gonna get t-shirts and DVDs of the game next?

We are going to be BAD next year. We lose our entire offensive production and all of our defensive production. But then again, maybe this is our ceiling in the ACC. I will say that my expectations are high and they should be for what I've paid for season tickets. I know we probably won't have the 10+ win seasons again like we did in the AAC/Big East.

And I think Pass and the young talent will figure it out in 2-3 years, I'm just disappointed that we missed an opportunity this year with a garbage schedule and an elite player behind center. Im just preparing myself for the step back coming next year.

BC and Wake turned out to be a lot better than everybody thought. Still, we were driving for the winning score against BC, caught a pass for a first down and fumbled. They drove from there to the winning FG. We had the ball down one score with 3 min left against NC St. and throw a pick 6. If we are healthy on D and have better health at RB, we could have been 10-2 or even 11-1. But we weren’t. Our 85 man roster, top to bottom, isn’t good enough to do that.
The most enjoyable part of the year, other than relishing the LPT fans misery, was watching Lamar grow as a QB. Bobby has done a great job getting him to this point. He has next-level skills and has a great chance to be an NFL QB. This has happened almost before our eyes. Great fun.

Well you can be disappointed all you want if you so choose to be.....you will get over it, or not, up to you. Life is full of choices. Joy and happiness is a choice. Lamar is a joy that brings much happiness into the Cards fan life....but he is not the end all to be all either.

New stars are on the horizon....the collision course Howard talked about is in front of us.....not behind us. Keep the Faith my man....we ain't playing at the the Fairgrounds anymore. There is that to be thankful for.

Life is too short to sweat the things you have no control over. Pearls of wisdom if you can hear it and take it to heart.

Reactions: zipp and CardsFirst
Man, Jurich is gone 2 months and we are developing the Slappy mindset. This team was ranked 15/16th in the preseason. We don't pay a coach $4 million a year to go to Banjo Bowls. If you take out the FSU win last year, what is our highlight in the 2.0 era that makes you feel confident that we can take the step that Howard guaranteed?

8-4 against a bad schedule is OK? Our only "BIG" win is against our so called RIVALS where we pour gatorade on the coaches? What kind of program are we for dumping gatorade for beating the slappys? Are you ok with being like them? Are you gonna get t-shirts and DVDs of the game next?

We are going to be BAD next year. We lose our entire offensive production and all of our defensive production. But then again, maybe this is our ceiling in the ACC. I will say that my expectations are high and they should be for what I've paid for season tickets. I know we probably won't have the 10+ win seasons again like we did in the AAC/Big East.

And I think Pass and the young talent will figure it out in 2-3 years, I'm just disappointed that we missed an opportunity this year with a garbage schedule and an elite player behind center. Im just preparing myself for the step back coming next year.
You should plan on being pissed most years.

With ZERO talent in our backyard we will ALWAYS be recruiting uphill against the perennial powers, and having to build for certain years.

This isn't CUSA anymore where we can get a few skill guys and muddle through.

HAPPINESS = REALITY / EXPECTATION

which means for every single bit of expectation you have your happiness goes down. if you have no expectations you can be infinitely happy. if you only have high expectations your chances of happiness are almost none. simple math. give up your expectations and life is much simpler. expect things to happen that you cannot control and you will be unhappy your entire life.

you cannot expect people to act the way you want, you cannot expect to be given things, and you cannot expect that college sports teams should play as well as you think they should.

The Cards were not a preseason top 10 team. They were ranked 16th and 17th, respectively. There aren't many people who have overwhelmingly high expectations for a team that is not in the top 10. I'd argue last season was more disappointing. But, looking back on '17, sure, it was a roller coaster. Nice, but not overly dominant wins over two P5 teams, then Clemson provides us a dose of reality. Get back on track with two wins over vastly inferior opponents, and the Cards sat at 4-1. NCST was always going to be a loss, I don't care who you are. They had that game marked and celebrated back when the schedule was released. BC then gets us during the beginning of their turn around. The Eagles went 5-1 after starting 2-3. The Cards got them at the wrong time. Then the nice win at FSU, which is always special, regardless how down the Seminoles may be. It's ridiculously difficult to win there. Cards now 5-3. And, let's not forget during this time the Cards have battled injuries. When your Lamar Jackson of the Cards defense in Jaire Alexander goes down, you're going to hit some bumps in the road. Speaking of which, Wake Forest got their revenge. They were a way better team, too. Cards then get their sh!t together, and close out strong with 3 straight while outscoring opponents 138-48.

All things considered, not a tremendous season, but not a major disappointment, either. I'd grade it a strong C+, maybe a B-. Let's see how they do in the bowl game.

The Cards were not a preseason top 10 team. They were ranked 16th and 17th, respectively. There aren't many people who have overwhelmingly high expectations for a team that is not in the top 10. I'd argue last season was more disappointing. But, looking back on '17, sure, it was a roller coaster. Nice, but not overly dominant wins over two P5 teams, then Clemson provides us a dose of reality. Get back on track with two wins over vastly inferior opponents, and the Cards sat at 4-1. NCST was always going to be a loss, I don't care who you are. They had that game marked and celebrated back when the schedule was released. BC then gets us during the beginning of their turn around. The Eagles went 5-1 after starting 2-3. The Cards got them at the wrong time. Then the nice win at FSU, which is always special, regardless how down the Seminoles may be. It's ridiculously difficult to win there. Cards now 5-3. And, let's not forget during this time the Cards have battled injuries. When your Lamar Jackson of the Cards defense in Jaire Alexander goes down, you're going to hit some bumps in the road. Speaking of which, Wake Forest got their revenge. They were a way better team, too. Cards then get their sh!t together, and close out strong with 3 straight while outscoring opponents 138-48.

All things considered, not a tremendous season, but not a major disappointment, either. I'd grade it a strong C+, maybe a B-. Let's see how they do in the bowl game.
Nice try. Spin it anyway you want but there were a ton of posters who said we were going 11-1 or 10-2 at worse. I’m sure you can check the archives.

Reactions: LeFors4Ever
The Cards season (so far, remember we still have a bowl to play) might be a let down for some fans. But if the self proclaimed University of Kentucky had the season the Cards have had so far they would be dancing in the streets and giving Stoops a life time contract extension.

Nice try. Spin it anyway you want but there were a ton of posters who said we were going 11-1 or 10-2 at worse. I’m sure you can check the archives.

It depends on who those posters were. Just because you've got a keyboard and an opinion, it doesn't make you an expert. Nor does it somehow make them the barometer of what to expect.

Reactions: zipp
It depends on who those posters were. Just because you've got a keyboard and an opinion, it doesn't make you an expert...
:D

Timeless zipp-ism #46: You don't get credibility and respect because you have a username and a password.

This season was somewhat disappointing. I think that with the schedule we were expecting double digit wins this year. The team did regroup and it gives us a little hope that the defense regrouped toward the end of the year.

The criticism of Pass is crazy though. He probably won't put up the crazy rushing stats that Jackson did but he could match his passing stats. He is a better passer than Jackson. As good as Jackson is he was inconsistent as a passer. For every perfect throw you can find a pass that he should have made and missed on. Bridgewater would have been just as successful with this team but in a different way. I expect Pass to do the same. From the time we saw him this year he can make the throws that Jackson missed more consistently and we return the entire o-line, receiving corps, and i think the backs will be just as good ore better than this year. Bonnafon was the least talented of our backs that got major time.

Reactions: Niterider55
This season was somewhat disappointing. I think that with the schedule we were expecting double digit wins this year. The team did regroup and it gives us a little hope that the defense regrouped toward the end of the year.

The criticism of Pass is crazy though. He probably won't put up the crazy rushing stats that Jackson did but he could match his passing stats. He is a better passer than Jackson. As good as Jackson is he was inconsistent as a passer. For every perfect throw you can find a pass that he should have made and missed on. Bridgewater would have been just as successful with this team but in a different way. I expect Pass to do the same. From the time we saw him this year he can make the throws that Jackson missed more consistently and we return the entire o-line, receiving corps, and i think the backs will be just as good ore better than this year. Bonnafon was the least talented of our backs that got major time.
Beating UK is a helluva lot better than losing to them and then beat them down like the punk down the street made it even sweeter. Slapsitck mediocrity? Being like them because Jurich is gone. The greatest AD in hisotry who had a blind spot toward a Hall of Fame coach who was 1-8 versus Cal and slappers. Hmmmm Love me some Postel, Schnatter...strong men whose vision was greater than allowing the cash cow monopoly known as ULAA to continue, strong leaders, good for them!

I just want to know where our expectations are as a program. The poster above said that LPT would be dancing in the streets to have our season, and? are we slappys? We sure sound like it.

Im not saying we won't have another Teddy,Redman,Brohm, and etc. But we WILL NEVER have another Lamar Jackson. There may be another Lamar in college, but not here. It took 15+ years for Lamar to come after Vick and we were BLESSED to have found him as a 3 star. It was literally winning the lottery combined with a QB guru of a head coach.

Pass may be decent and an NFL QB in time, but no one is going to convince me that we will lose the greatest player in college history and be better next year.

I understand that injuries were a problem this year, and thats why I give Bobby the benefit of the doubt. Im not an unhinged fan, Ive made very logical arguments to back my assertions. My only flaw may be my high expectations, but we have reasons to have them. We pay Bobby quite a bit and took the risk hiring him again because we wanted to be in New Years Six bowls.

I think we have a good chance to be a great team again in 2019 and more likely 2020, but i still have reservations about the defense. I still am worried about what our team will be like with the GOAT QB leaving and 7 starters on an already bad defense.

IF you don't have the high expectations I do, I can accept that. We've come a long way since the Cardinal Stadium days, but I just really think we blew a big chance to take that big step with the awful schedule we played and we may never get a schedule this easy again along with having Lamar.

Go Cards, Go Bobby, Go Puma Pass!

Beating UK is a helluva lot better than losing to them and then beat them down like the punk down the street made it even sweeter. Slapsitck mediocrity? Being like them because Jurich is gone. The greatest AD in hisotry who had a blind spot toward a Hall of Fame coach who was 1-8 versus Cal and slappers. Hmmmm Love me some Postel, Schnatter...strong men whose vision was greater than allowing the cash cow monopoly known as ULAA to continue, strong leaders, good for them!
postel and poopy john - strong men with vision?? Maybe the most clueless take in the history of the internet.

You should have ended your post after the first sentence.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
What's your excuse, slapd!ck or just stupid?

This season was somewhat disappointing. I think that with the schedule we were expecting double digit wins this year...
So I'll say it again... ANY year in a P5 conference that we get double digit wins is a success. You might have one win less--that doesn't make it "somewhat disappointing"...

Yes, I'm not happy with part of the season, but pre-season, I thought 9-3 would be realistic, 10-2 great !
We are not going to be Top 10 every year and make the playoffs. If that's your goal, time to switch your fandom, especially those who started posting in 2017. When we have injuries, we don't plug in another 4*, we might be lucky to have an inexperienced 3 star. We make a no star QB from LA. into an NFL draftee. We promise a Mom that her skinny son will play QB, when the Top 10 guys would play the Heisman at WR. With our recruiting "base", we can compete for the prize every few years, and We Will ! That's real life here.

This is who we are. I saw the Seniors off, and it rained, and I loved the game. I'm proud of these Guys!

Yes, I'm not happy with part of the season, but pre-season, I thought 9-3 would be realistic, 10-2 great !
We are not going to be Top 10 every year and make the playoffs. If that's your goal, time to switch your fandom, especially those who started posting in 2017. When we have injuries, we don't plug in another 4*, we might be lucky to have an inexperienced 3 star. We make a no star QB from LA. into an NFL draftee. We promise a Mom that her skinny son will play QB, when the Top 10 guys would play the Heisman at WR. With our recruiting "base", we can compete for the prize every few years, and We Will ! That's real life here.

This is who we are. I saw the Seniors off, and it rained, and I loved the game. I'm proud of these Guys!

Great post

I want UofL to win EVERY DAMN GAME but I’m also intelligent enough to know that isn’t going to happen. I get the red @ss every time we lose, but tomorrow I’m ready for the next game, and I damn well want the Cards to come out on top.

Win or lose I’ll be pulling like a team of Borax mules for the team I love, and if they lose I’ll walk the floor, go outside and smoke and replay the game a hundred times in my mind. I’m optimistic about our team(s) every year so I guess that makes me crazy ( especially since I can’t go on and on about how much I’ve spent in donations and season tickets). Hell, I’ve been to nearly any game the wife and I could get to and have never had a decent seat, but go we will and stay till the last horn sounds.

I hate doom and f-ing gloom. If Eeyore is your idol, get yourself another damn team to root for. I hear enough negative sh!t from the blue clowns I run into. Rant over:mad:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT