ADVERTISEMENT

The Two Take aways from the Season

Cardfan1963

2000+
Sep 2, 2011
Where the program needs to improve.
1. Offensive continuity. I feel CBP will get that done regardless of QB.
2. Quality Defensive depth. This is a little tougher. It showed its ugly head when we played true tier 1 teams. (FSU, Georgia). We really need more and bigger faster bodies on the D-line. After Brown and Rankins the drop off is too much. Finding replacement for Mauldin. Finding a rush OLB/ End that can tackle in space and hold the edge is not going to be easy. Not sure where that tree is they grow on but we need to find it.

Agree. Hard to win with inexperienced QBs no matter the coach....seems about a half is all we can sustain vs top teams...I also thought that the quality of secondary play dropped off at the end of season ie getting beat deep and dropping interceptions

We were gassed at the end of two games. That really goes to depth. An improved offense will help greatly by ending all the three and outs but we still need to build more depth. It is not going to be easy, but it has to be done. The DL recruiting losses because of the coaching switch were glaring. Not that the freshman would have helped much but allowing our starters to get a blow would help a lot.

1. Offensive continuity. QB is going to be one concern, but consider this. We lose 3 of our starting 5 OL to graduation. We lose Brown, Miller and Jake Smith. Before you start clapping, these guys have started 135 games since 2011. Jake has set the school record for career starts. Think about what we have coming back Epps and Hughley, where Hughley had a lot of false starts. Not sure if we have that many redshirts, freshman or jucos, but replacing that many starters is going to be an adjustment, for any QB we have.

2. Defensive depth. We lose a lot of defense too with Gaines and Holliman going pro. Gaines, although talented, just don't think he is ready. Add the loses of Mauldin and Dubose, especially from the leadership side and we have concerns there too.

If both Brown and Rankins return I think we'll be fine up front. Vatuvei,Richardson,Shortridge,Juco Drew Bailey,and then red-shirt FR Thibeadux and Ramsy-Pridgen too. I'm concerned with our corner depth more then anything defensively.

The most important guy on the team--esp. on a Petrino team--is the quarterback. Right now, we're at the point where most teams are that think they have several QB options...we (and they) don't have any good ones.

The only encouraging thing with the current QBs is that they were all rookies as far as meaningful playing time.. One of them may really pick it up in the off season. Otherwise, we're left hoping that an incoming guy is the answer.

Petrino obviously recognized that when he got here which is why he he's been furiously taking QB commitments since his arrival. He simply hasn't acknowledged that nor would I expect him to.

Our other areas of weakness need to be addressed. But none is as significant as the QB position...

This post was edited on 1/1 3:24 PM by zipp

You are exactly correct Zipp. The only thing that I am hoping for is for about 10 new good O-Lineman to show up in the spring.

I'm concerned that we weren't able to put big points up on the scoreboard to allow us to develop depth on the Oline. I'm concerned with the fact that we had three seniors who struggled to limit sacks. The QB by committee - gives the young guys the game experience we sorely needed---man if only had Will Stein with eligibility for this year -he could have been our Manzel --come'on that was funny! If Teddy had chosen to stay this year to play under Petrino's system--it wouldn't have answered the issues with the Oline--- but our receivers would have fought to get on the field. Oh well, shoulda, coulda, woulda !!!

ADVERTISEMENT