ADVERTISEMENT

The two reasons I am picking Louisville.

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
This is my unbiased opinion of the game. I am picking Louisville for two reasons.

1) Lamar Jackson. Nothing else needs to be said.
2) The game is at Louisville.

I think Clemson has a pretty substantial edge on defense and in particularly on the Defensive Line. I think Clemson has a better offensive line. Skill players are neck and neck although I would still give the edge to Clemson there.

But to me, Lamar Jackson makes all the difference in the world. Clemson's offense struggled against Auburn and to me they are going to have a hard time keeping up with Lamar Jackson in terms of matching points for points. On the flip side, maybe Clemson's defense is good enough to shut down Lamar but honestly I don't see it.

I've always liked a strong defense over a strong offense, but I have to go with my heart this time around. The atmosphere will start out electric, so hopefully the Cards can feed off that and shut down the Tigers early and often enough to build a lead. If that happens, the crowd will do its part and keep the frenzy level off the charts high.

Play makers are going to make plays if they are given the time to make them. That goes for both teams. We need a strong 12th man to win this Saturday night. The crowd will be important.

GO CARDS!!!!

38-17 Louisville. Their defense sure enough, holds us to under 40. When Schmittynole talks of "skill players", it must be Renfrow and maybe Cain. I guess the rookie QB - who knows, really? Williams is not walking through that door. Is Lamar is or is he not a Skill Player?? Does Clemson have a running back? UofL held Gallman to 54 yards last season and Cook to even less. We have run stoppers back on defense, like we always do. Last week our own RB gained 150 yards. Jaylen Smith is just getting underway, #3 in the nation on reception yards. I could go on, but why bother. The conclusions are the same, lol.

Face it - if Clemson's defense is twice as good, then they will slow us down to 300 yards. I just think Louisville is one hell of a lot more than Lamar Jackson - although, WTF, I'll take him. :)

I think people are making a huge mistake saying that Louisville has taken a step back offensively due to the loss of Quick and Staples coupled with Hikutini and Radcliff. If anything with Jackson's growth within the passing game, and more importantly the type of routes we run with a high degree of after the catch yield, the skill sets and frames of Dawkins at 6"3, Smith at 6"4, 220 and Fitzpatrick at 6"2, 205 are perfect for the seam routes, slants and crossing routes that really put pressure on the safeties. Our routes somehow appear shorter to me, but we're getting as much or more yardage than last year due to Jackson's clearly improved accuracy leading to more yards after the catch. Our three primary guys are simply stronger out of breaks than the defensive backs covering them, and I don't expect that to be different with Clemson.

I do remain very concerned about our ability to block in the running game in the way necessary to get our RBs yardage; Bonnafon and Williams look very well suited to exploit Clemson's stretches where they cover RBs with LBs out of the backfield (we hit them really hard with Jeremy Smith that way last year; and they isolated Hikutini alot on LBs as well which is definitely in the wheelhouses of Standberry and Crum). But Bell has gotten beaten by DTs on that frontside reach play that would be the perfect play for Williams who looks like he excels off-tackle as a one cut runner; Bell hasn't made that reach block on Purdue or UNCs' tackles, and that's daunting. If he did block it very well our OTs Becton and Christian are strengths, even against a Clemson with their tremendous defensive linemen. I'm never comfortable with going into the game where the reality is at minimum you have to expend at least three blockers and a potential chipblock from a fourth blocker to handle 2 DTs on any run.

The game comes down to who can take advantage of a weakness in one area of the game.

-The limited Clemson offense vs. the weakened(but injured) UofL secondary.
Purdue and UNC threw the ball pretty well against the Cards and w/o Alexander its a big question mark. On the other side, Clemson looked anemic offensively against Auburn. Clemson has talented wideouts, but a new starting QB in his first big time road start is a risky bet. The Cards can stop the run, so it comes down to Bryant being able to extend plays and stretch the field. I see the play coming down to the play of the Junior QB in his first test against a rocking crowd.

Clemson's front 7 does create a problem against an unproven UofL Oline, but Lamar's speed can neutralize and limit that advantage. But, the same thing applies to Clemson's front 7 can limit the Lamar damage, he will put up numbers but won't be able to do whatever he wants like he would against an average team. I think the two strengths cancel each other out.

I don't see Bryant winning this game at this time, this game is the most important game in UofL history considering the playoff and ACC title implications. The crowd and hype of the team will beat the unproven QB. This Cat fan hates to say it, but you guys will pressure Bryant all night and Lamar will put it away late.

UofL 31 Clemson 13

Each will try. But from what I've witnessed, both teams will have problems running the ball with their backs. That means the QBs will be more the focal points of each offense. That has to help Louisville esp. since the Clemson QB is making his first start in a hostile environment.

If it's an easy win, U of L will be on the positive end of that. Louisville will nearly double Clemson in offensive stats. But I'm predicting a hard-fought game into the 4th quarter where an opportunistic Clemson team keeps it close. There will be more field goals than TDs because each team will struggle in the red zone.

Louisville 26 Clemson 23

It doesn't look like Jaire is going to suit up. When your best defender is down against a team like Clemson- not good. I really have no idea how this game will play out. Clemson could end up doing what Houston and LSU did to us last year, or, Louisville could do to Clemson what they did to FSU last year, given the similarities. Regardless, we are going to know a lot about both teams after this one. My heart obviously says Cards, but the head has doubts.

Reactions: American Male
Clemson is going to dominate the LOS. Usually that is enough to win a game.

But Louisville just like Clemson of last, has a once in a generational player. Even if Clemson is able to push the line around, Lamar will escape and make plays happen. At least 3 TDs personally. Im calling for about 24-26 points a side, and too close to call overall.

My biggest concern is Robbie Bell's ankle better because they are going to come up the middle as they have a nasty nose guard. Brent Venables is an excellent DC so it will be interesting what he dials up. They wil blitz often in the1st and 2nd qtr to get Lamar uncomfortable. Our OL is untested but has the size to be able to slow their DL down. Lamar and the ŕeceivers will play BIG, but will we be able to run? If we can get 100 yards ,combined,from Reggie and Malick. Take that and what Lamar gets from running and we win by 17 points. YES, I'm optimistic. I hope we can get some type of rush on their QB.

I'm pretty sure Bobby, the coaching staff, Lamar and the Offensive Line have learned something from film studies of the Houston and LSU losses...It will be a West Virginia vs Clemson - Louisville vs FSU Replay!!!

:cool:

Reactions: wilkie01
38-17 Louisville. Their defense sure enough, holds us to under 40. When Schmittynole talks of "skill players", it must be Renfrow and maybe Cain. I guess the rookie QB - who knows, really? Williams is not walking through that door. Is Lamar is or is he not a Skill Player?? Does Clemson have a running back? UofL held Gallman to 54 yards last season and Cook to even less. We have run stoppers back on defense, like we always do. Last week our own RB gained 150 yards. Jaylen Smith is just getting underway, #3 in the nation on reception yards. I could go on, but why bother. The conclusions are the same, lol.

Face it - if Clemson's defense is twice as good, then they will slow us down to 300 yards. I just think Louisville is one hell of a lot more than Lamar Jackson - although, WTF, I'll take him. :)
When I talk about Skill Players, I am talking about the Wide Receivers, Tight End and Running Backs. I exclude Quarterbacks from the categories of skill players although you can make an exception with Lamar since he does things with the ball that Wide Receivers and Running Backs do. But Clemson has Cain, Renfroe, Ray Ray McLoud, and Tavien Feaster as their main skill guys. Louisville counters with Dez Fitzpatrick, Reggie Bonnafon, Seth Dawkins and Malik Williams. To me that is a draw. Sure Mike Williams, Jordan Leggett and Wayne Gallman aren't walking through that door. But neither are James Quick, Jamari Staples, Brandon Radcliff and Cole Hikutini.

Reactions: Senore2006
When I talk about Skill Players, I am talking about the Wide Receivers, Tight End and Running Backs. I exclude Quarterbacks from the categories of skill players although you can make an exception with Lamar since he does things with the ball that Wide Receivers and Running Backs do. But Clemson has Cain, Renfroe, Ray Ray McLoud, and Tavien Feaster as their main skill guys. Louisville counters with Dez Fitzpatrick, Reggie Bonnafon, Seth Dawkins and Malik Williams. To me that is a draw. Sure Mike Williams, Jordan Leggett and Wayne Gallman aren't walking through that door. But neither are James Quick, Jamari Staples, Brandon Radcliff and Cole Hikutini.

I take it you have not watched us play yet.

Louisville usually does a good job taking advantage of Clemson's aggressive defense. I would guess Bobby has been game planning for this one since the schedule was announced. I would look for Louisville to roll Lamar away from the pressure and force Clemson's defense to make adjustments. It's these adjustments that will give Lamar and the Louisville opportunities to put the ball in the end zone.

I see a lot of similarities between this defense and the Florida defense we faced in The Sugar Bowl. We will use the pass to setup the run. It will tough sledding early in the game between the tackles but as Lamar softens up Clemson's defense with the pass we'll pick up running the ball in the 2nd half.

35-21 Cards

I didn't see you play against Purdue. I saw you play against North Carolina since our game was canceled. Point is both teams lost great skill players from last season.

Most Louisville fans see a severe upgrade in the WR's...........Severe. As far as running back is concerned, we had one average 10 yards a carry last week. Hikutini is missed, hugely. He was a rare and special college player, but we have TE's who can catch, block and run - and who are much bigger targets.

Thing that gets me in all this equivalizing is the disparity at QB. This is where the game revolves in my view. Is it possible for there to be a wider gap??

jwb.jpg

I have Louisville 31 Clemson 14

Louisville usually does a good job taking advantage of Clemson's aggressive defense. I would guess Bobby has been game planning for this one since the schedule was announced. I would look for Louisville to roll Lamar away from the pressure and force Clemson's defense to make adjustments. It's these adjustments that will give Lamar and the Louisville opportunities to put the ball in the end zone.

35-21 Cards

Yes, the Cards are going to exploit Clemson's over aggressive and over pursuing defense more times than not.

Reactions: CardinalJim
For sure... but there are some openings in the type of pressure defense they play.

The question is can you find them and/or do you have enough time to see them and adjust the play as necessary to their defense.

A chess match for sure. One I think that Bobby Petrino and Lamar Jackson pick apart more times than not tonight.

We will see.

Yes, the Cards are going to exploit Clemson's over aggressive and over pursuing defense more times than not.
Have to,early and often.Spread it out and make em guard every part of the field.And,I think LJ will have to hand it off on that read,to keep the D honest in there.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
I'm pretty shocked that so many of you guys think U of L is going to hold Clemson to under 20 points considering the Cards gave up 63 to 2 miserable teams.

I think Louisville could easily win this game but it feels way more like first team to 38ish wins type contest.

Reactions: PainClinic
Clemson deserves credit for the win. They are clearly one of the best teams in the country. Many fans including myself were overly optimistic about this team.

Louisville looked ill-prepared and not ready.

Another reminder that you have to trust what your eyes are seeing and not what you want them to see.

This loss hurts and shows just how far the Cards still have to go.

Clemson deserves credit for the win. They are clearly one of the best teams in the country. Many fans including myself were overly optimistic about this team.

Louisville looked ill-prepared and not ready.

Another reminder that you have to trust what your eyes are seeing and not what you want them to see.

This loss hurts and shows just how far the Cards still have to go.

I just have to say.....where is Senore and his "positive gloating" about how much better Jackson is than Bryant. How bad Clemson's offense is. How 31- 17 Louisville is about right.

I'm not here to gloat, but I will call out Senore, who came over to our board the whole week talking about how bad Louisville was going to beat Clemson and how we were "unintelligent fans" for thinking we would win.

Reactions: Da Swami and Ugoff
I just have to say.....where is Senore and his "positive gloating" about how much better Jackson is than Bryant. How bad Clemson's offense is. How 31- 17 Louisville is about right.

I'm not here to gloat, but I will call out Senore, who came over to our board the whole week talking about how bad Louisville was going to beat Clemson and how we were "unintelligent fans" for thinking we would win.

Not sure about other posters, but I will face the music right or wrong on my calls.

The Cards are just not there yet as a team and program.

We have an exceptional player in Lamar Jackson. One of the best to ever play the college game. We are not there yet top to bottom. Plain and simple.

Not sure about other posters, but I will face the music right or wrong on my calls.

The Cards are just not there yet as a team and program.

We have an exceptional player in Lamar Jackson. One of the best to ever play the college game. We are not there yet top to bottom. Plain and simple.

If you don't think BV lost a LOT of sleep this week trying to scheme against Jackson, you'd be wrong. Jackson is electric, but when you have that angry DL coming after you every down and a subpar OL trying to protect, you're asking for trouble. So many have said it. It's recruiting. Good luck the rest of the season. We need to keep it up. VT and FSU are not going to be easy.

If you don't think BV lost a LOT of sleep this week trying to scheme against Jackson, you'd be wrong. Jackson is electric, but when you have that angry DL coming after you every down and a subpar OL trying to protect, you're asking for trouble. So many have said it. It's recruiting. Good luck the rest of the season. We need to keep it up. VT and FSU are not going to be easy.
Just one question Fence

How does one get to15,000+ posts, and only 7 Likes? :confused:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT