ADVERTISEMENT

The Reality

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
We aren’t near physical enough on either line and won’t be in the near future. We have gotten manhandled by teams with solid line play (Pitt, Miami, UK, of course Clemson). We have the skill positions studs to break big plays but don’t have the beef to win at the highest level of P5 football. It’s gonna take time to develop that.

We aren’t near physical enough on either line and won’t be in the near future. We have gotten manhandled by teams with solid line play (Pitt, Miami, UK, of course Clemson). We have the skill positions studs to break big plays but don’t have the beef to win at the highest level of P5 football. It’s gonna take time to develop that.

I agree about physicality, but we are a finesse, big play team. But, there is beef. It just needs to get better. Plus, our 3-4, there are so many weaknesses. It’s not just lack of an effective DL. But the defense played better today. Strong effort.

I agree about physicality, but we are a finesse, big play team. But, there is beef. It just needs to get better. Plus, our 3-4, there are so many weaknesses. It’s not just lack of an effective DL. But the defense played better today. Strong effort.
Sorry no.

Reactions: CardsFirst

I disagree about the finesse part. The Satt offense is a run first outside zone running scheme. He then uses that to develop a play action, downfield passing attack. Against Pitt and other physical teams we simply fall short in establishing our zone blocking scheme. And then when you are behind the chains, it’s tough to fool the defense with play action.

And on defense we are playing a conservative scheme. It would be fine if we were able to get pressure from our front 3 or front 4, but we simply cannot. QBs have too much time.

The good news is that in our first 3 games we’ve probably faced 6 future NFL defensive linemen, so it should only get easier in that respect from here.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I disagree about the finesse part. The Satt offense is a run first outside zone running scheme. He then uses that to develop a play action, downfield passing attack. Against Pitt and other physical teams we simply fall short in establishing our zone blocking scheme. And then when you are behind the chains, it’s tough to fool the defense with play action.

And on defense we are playing a conservative scheme. It would be fine if we were able to get pressure from our front 3 or front 4, but we simply cannot. QBs have too much time.

The good news is that in our first 3 games we’ve probably faced 6 future NFL defensive linemen, so it should only get easier in that respect from here.
By finesse I mean our best players, our skill guys, are small and fast. We aren’t a pound it down your throat, control the clock, kind of team. We rely on the big play.

By finesse I mean our best players, our skill guys, are small and fast. We aren’t a pound it down your throat, control the clock, kind of team. We rely on the big play.

I agree with that, but that’s not exactly the style of play Satterfield wants to play. Anyways, the bottom line is that if a defense can control your o-line and get into the backfield with strictly 4 down linemen then you probably aren’t gonna win. That about sums up the Pitt game.

Reality is it is way too early in the season for gloom and doom.

Well, people are reacting in real time to what they are seeing. What they are seeing is not great. There are a lot of problems with this team.

Reality is it is way too early in the season for gloom and doom.

I don’t believe what I posted is doom and gloom. It’s acknowledging that becoming a top flight P5 football program is a process. We are early in that process and the quick success Satt had last year made many of us think we had circumvented this process.

Competing is good, but if they want to go to a Bowl they're going to have to start beating teams. Next week's game against Georgia Tech is critical. If we leave Notre Dame 1-4, you start to wonder who can they beat? 2-3, with 6 games to go against unranked teams, you can still talk about having a good season.

Games are won and lost in the trenches and we're losing in the trenches. I know it sounds simplistic but it's true. The gaping holes in defense giving up big play after big play especially on 3rd and long is a serious problem. The lack of penetration by the O-line gives the running game fits and Cunningham isn't getting much time to scan the field.

Can't win many football games with mediocre line play. The line play on both sides of the ball MUST improve. The rest will fall in place if they do.

Reactions: teamcanada
We just had an offensive lineman from Floyd Central decommit. He’s gotten offers from Ohio St, Penn St, FSU, etc.

Please, go on...

About which part? My biggest issue is the adjective “finesse” being used to describe piss poor line play. Finesse has no business on a football field and is, in fact, euphemistic language for candy-ass team. Our guys are trying, but we lack beef on both sides of the ball and it’s visually noticeable. It becomes even more noticeable when the ball is snapped. Pitt controlled space in the trenches all game long and that’s why we gained about 130 yards if you take away the Hawkins run.

Football is no fun when you are subject to getting bullied by big boys and that’s unfortunately where we are now.

About which part? My biggest issue is the adjective “finesse” being used to describe piss poor line play. Finesse has no business on a football field and is, in fact, euphemistic language for candy-ass team. Our guys are trying, but we lack beef on both sides of the ball and it’s visually noticeable. It becomes even more noticeable when the ball is snapped. Pitt controlled space in the trenches all game long and that’s why we gained about 130 yards if you take away the Hawkins run.

Football is no fun when you are subject to getting bullied by big boys and that’s unfortunately where we are now.

I agree with your comments. But I do see a dim light at the end of the tunnel and the light is slowly getting brighter. It will take time to get past a staff that had NO respect for the defensive side of the football. I do believe we have the staff in place to get us where we need to be personnel wise.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

Louisville has all the skill players needed to compete in the ACC. Unfortunately, up front. Louisville must recruit better on both sides of the line.
The defensive front is to small to compete every week. Especially, when your playing against offensive lines like Miami and Pitt. Pitt’s offensive front looks like this 6-6 ( 340 ) 6-5 (310 )
6-6 ( 330) 6-7 (315) 6-3 ( 285 ) at center. All had big time offers except their 1st team all ACC center who is a walk on. Miami’s is just as big.

Pitt on their defensive front goes like this defensive ends are 6-6 (275) and 6-6 (260) and Dtackles are 6-4(315) and 6-2( 285 ). Again Miami’s defensive line is around the same in size

Got to get much bigger up front

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT