ADVERTISEMENT

The Kenny Payne Odds

That list illustrates the point that just because you played the game, doesn't mean that it translates to coaching. To be able to be an effective teacher, you really need to have a complete understanding of all facets of that sport and a lot of former high-level athletes simply are unable to communicate effectively to their players, because the playing piece of it just came so much easier to them.

Reactions: vegasville1
Those odds don’t indicate any of those coaches are likely to be fired. Even Payne’s probability is only 40%.

And I’d gauge that’s about right… A slightly better chance of keeping his job than losing it.

Too many people here think it’s close to 100%.

Based on the indicated odds, a grand total of ONE of those coaches will be fired…

• Haha
Reactions: Dockery_
Those odds don’t indicate any of those coaches are likely to be fired. Even Payne’s probability is only 40%.

And I’d gauge that’s about right… A slightly better chance of keeping his job than losing it.

Too many people here think it’s close to 100%.

Based on the indicated odds, a grand total of ONE of those coaches will be fired…
I think you are misreading that. It’s the odds to be the next coach fired not if they will be fired. That being said I wish I could bet on Stackhouse since he just got fired.

I think you are misreading that. It’s the odds to be the next coach fired not if they will be fired. That being said I wish I could bet on Stackhouse since he just got fired.
Maybe a graph would have him read the list better. Anyway, it would not be a surprise at all to see well more than half the list out of their jobs at the end of the season.

• Haha
Reactions: Knucklehank1
Maybe a graph-less genius can educate me on the important difference…
Ill bet 500 to a 100 and bet the over at 1.5 coaches on that list will be fired, excluding Stackhouse, since he already has been! Thats pretty straightforward, what ya got?? So 2 out of 9, bc I hate graphs/charts......

Well, you obviously mis-read the chart... It has the odds that each coach will be the NEXT one to be fired, not the odds that they will simply be fired at the end of this season. Why can't you simply says "oops"?
By your reasoning then, the list had nothing to do with WHETHER a coach will be fired. You could take the five best coaches in the country and compile the same ranking.

So what’s the relevancy of the OP in a discussion about firing Payne?

Here’s the issue… The probability of a coach getting fired first is the joint probability of whether he’s likely to be fired and to what degree. The latter is how you wanna interpret it, but you can’t separate it from the former…

Last edited:
By your reasoning then, the list had nothing to do with WHETHER a coach will be fired. You could take the five best coaches in the country and compile the same ranking.

So what’s the relevancy of the OP?…
Oh my, you are dense aren’t you? Read the X tweet from Shadow’s OP. It says “the NEXT coach” and clearly shows a list of coaches whose seat is currently warm. Try to keep up.

So what’s the relevancy of the OP?…

Odds to be the next college basketball coach fired.

It's really that simple. Your trying to dig deeper for some hidden statistic that has nothing to do with the question.
You’re giving him more credit than is deserved. There’s no digging deeper - it’s simply surface level trolling.

It’s his jam…

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood

So what’s the relevancy of the OP in a discussion about firing Payne?

Here’s the issue… The probability of a coach getting fired first is the joint probability of whether he’s likely to be fired and to what degree. The latter is how you wanna interpret it, but you can’t separate it from the former…
Zipp - you misread the original post. It’s all good. It’s ok to say you got it wrong

….“Those odds don’t indicate any of those coaches are likely to be fired. Even Payne’s probability is only 40%.”
That was at the time the odds were cast. A week later, Payne’s star has tarnished a little.

And only one of those coaches has been fired…

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT