ADVERTISEMENT

The Future: App St is Ranked #24

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
to reaffirm i think Tyra made the best hire possible for our school, App st is ranked 24th in the country right now. Think about what that tell us, in essence, a second tier football team that lost it's head coach and other staff members is ranked again despite these obstacles. that means that coach Satterfield must have put a system in place where his coaches can continue the foundation that was laid. The fact that App st has not lost a beat tells me Satterfield built something strong and created a system for success. it makes you realize we got someone special who builds from the ground up. just knowing that App St is better than us tells me were are on the right track for years to come and if some top 5 school comes calling in a few years i'm sure we'll have a much better attitude for the upcoming change. but honestly, i don;t see him leaving anytime soon.

Program builder or CEO is the best way to describe him. He really doesn’t seem like a guy that is chasing jobs to validate himself. Trust and family are a big thing for him and his staff. They seem to understand that isn’t a slogan but a life style.

Anytime Louisville has had any success the staff was looking to leave. That is impossible to overcome in the recruiting world. The only reason they haven’t been able to sustain.

We will see because I think they will win a bunch of games down the road

No offense, but it seems you guys forget exactly what kind of program in App State Satterfield inherited from his predessesor, head Coach Gerry Moore, who ran the App football program from 1989 to 2012.

It does however speak volumes IMO that Satterfield played QB under Jerry Moore, and he (Satterfield) ended up taking the program over afer working his way up the proverbial ladder of assistant coaching.

FYI I became an App fan after I moved to NC because my Alma Mater plays in the Big 10, spent time in Boone for work, and I really don't have any love for Michigan, and liked App state football after 2007 LOL

No offense, but I also had to follow the dumpster fire with Petrino saga the last couple of years (wouldn't wish that soap opera on anyone), and kind of became a L'ville fan when they hired Satterfield.

Satterfield doesn't strike me as the type of coach to build something only to jump ship for more money. L'ville also seems like the perfect fit for a bunch of coaches to build on. Hiring Satterfield was probably the best hire just for the quality of assistant coaches he brought with him. I would think L'ville has at least 5 years (assuming they build something special) before you might lose some assistant coaches to head coaching jobs.

Got to remember, Satterfield even left App State as an assistant coach, but he still came back.

Last edited:
^^^^ totally. ever since app st beat michigan they've been on my radar and i;ve thought for years why wasn't their coach was not in div 1. if you can beat them join them and yet no one thought to do so

No offense, but it seems you guys forget exactly what kind of program in App State Satterfield inherited from his predessesor, head Coach Gerry Moore, who ran the App football program from 1989 to 2012.

It does however speak volumes IMO that Satterfield played QB under Jerry Moore, and he (Satterfield) ended up taking the program over afer working his way up the proverbial ladder of assistant coaching.

FYI I became an App fan after I moved to NC because my Alma Mater plays in the Big 10, spent time in Boone for work, and I really don't have any love for Michigan, and liked App state football after 2007 LOL

No offense, but I also had to follow the dumpster fire with Petrino saga the last couple of years (wouldn't wish that soap opera on anyone), and kind of became a L'ville fan when they hired Satterfield.
That's true. Coach Moore laid the foundation for App State, and CSS continued that work before coming to UofL. We are thrilled with having CSS at UofL and hope we can keep him around for a few decades.

I could be wrong, but IMO a great football coach doesn't leave to go to a great program, but he builds the great program that others want to come to.

I do think L'Ville could be a great long lasting fit for Satterfield.

His coaching staff may want to progress to HC jobs down the road, and the only way I can really see Satterfield leaving is if he has someplace near and dear to his heart in NC. Since he (Satterfield) played for App State, I don't see it being a major school in NC as I've read others allude to (somehwere else, not necessarily here).

Thing I like about Satterfield is he actually seems like a decent man who can win.

But guys, please don't take this the wrong way, it does seem like L'ville fans can be fickle. Kind of worse than Philly fans at times LMAO (that was a joke!).

But guys, please don't take this the wrong way, it does seem like L'ville fans can be fickle. Kind of worse than Philly fans at times LMAO (that was a joke!).
No offense taken. We have a number of hardcore, loyal fans but also, this is a city school and our fans are a pretty eclectic group. At times our fans can be frontrunners but I still think overall we have a pretty solid fanbase.

Look at other city schools and compare. Louisville fans will always look good in comparison to Cincinnati, Houston, Pittsburgh, Miami, UCLA etc....

We were fortunate to have Schnelly when we did....and we are extremely fortunate to have Satt now.

This program will grow as he and his staff grow used to the competition in the ACC and get their own players. He is playing with what was left behind in the wake of the disasterous BP regime.

We were fortunate to have Schnelly when we did....and we are extremely fortunate to have Satt now.

This program will grow as he and his staff grow used to the competition in the ACC and get their own players. He is playing with what was left behind in the wake of the disasterous BP regime.

I have no clue who Schnelly is, but I believe your comment about the Cards current program is 100% accurate.

I have no clue who Schnelly is, but I believe your comment about the Cards current program is 100% accurate.

Coach Howard Schnellenberger for 10 years after his Stint at Miami and a NC there.

Coach Sch
Coach Howard Schnellenberger for 10 years after his Stint at Miami and a NC there.
He brought the belief to town. We played and challenged anyone that would schedule us. It once was and is now again, a belief that we can grow and win against the elites. It’s on. It’s coming.

I recall reading this same analysis more than a decade ago when K-rag left Tulsa, and they didn't miss a beat.

My point is not that I disagree with the analysis. It's that you don't know for sure...

I recall reading this same analysis more than a decade ago when K-rag left Tulsa, and they didn't miss a beat.

My point is not that I disagree with the analysis. It's that you don't know for sure...
Wut? Define for sure.

Wut? Define for sure.
In this context, the belief that App State’s current success (in Satterfield’s aftermath) portends good things here.

The same was taken as true with K-rag, and it was totally UNtrue...

In this context, the belief that App State’s current success (in Satterfield’s aftermath) portends good things here.

So we need to touch base again on this in a few years.

No it isn't the same and not even close. There were warning signs for the jump. His 1st game out of the gate he lost to an inferior KY team. He had trouble with OC and DC immediately. The players didn't like him. On the flip side Satterfield has take a group of players that didn't want to play football a year ago and turn them into a competitive group. He transitioned the App program from FCS to FBS pretty nicely which is really no different that jumping up in class to the ACC.

No one knows the future but at least you can see they have a plan and are trying to execute that plan.

tulsa was a 7-5 or 8-4 team that stayed the same in a horrible conference and anybody could and would have done just as good as krags. he was not a head coach, he was a coordinator who got mistakenly promoted by a friend. and we suffered for years. why would tulsa get worse after krags, seems everyone gets better after he leaves

No it isn't the same and not even close. There were warning signs for the jump. His 1st game out of the gate he lost to an inferior KY team. He had trouble with OC and DC immediately. The players didn't like him. On the flip side Satterfield has take a group of players that didn't want to play football a year ago and turn them into a competitive group. He transitioned the App program from FCS to FBS pretty nicely which is really no different that jumping up in class to the ACC.

No one knows the future but at least you can see they have a plan and are trying to execute that plan.

HWSNBN’s first game was a 73-10 win over Murray State. His second game was also win, over Middle Tennessee. We lost at UK in game 3 and then came the even more shocking loss at home to Syracuse as a 35 point favorite.

Jurich admittedly botched that hire by insisting that old coaches from Petrino’s Orange Bowl team be kept, including the defensive coordinator. It was pretty apparent beginning in the MTSU game (we gave up 42 points) that the defense was a mess.

Tyra was smart enough not to hire Satterfield and then place conditions on who he must retain from the previous coaching staff. The new coach we hired in 2007 was never given that level of support.

Most on here TOTALLY agree with you.

No matter the attendance, anything over 40-42k is that fickle faction.

Let it rain, be cold, or heaven forbid, rainy AND cold and you will see the UL fan base.

That said, it seems “fans” are in decline nationally.

Reactions: Mayoman
Ask Bernie Kosar and Tom Osborne who Schnelly is. If your name was JOE1984 you’d remember. :D
I recall being on the sideline during the home game game against Miami with Kosar and Brown (WR) before the kickoff. Kosar stood some 6’5 or 6’6 and was like “damn, the college QB’s are giants compared to what it was like in HS.”

tulsa was a 7-5 or 8-4 team that stayed the same in a horrible conference and anybody could and would have done just as good as krags. he was not a head coach, he was a coordinator who got mistakenly promoted by a friend. and we suffered for years. why would tulsa get worse after krags, seems everyone gets better after he leaves
All of this obvious in hindsight...

...Jurich admittedly botched that hire by insisting that old coaches from Petrino’s Orange Bowl team be kept, including the defensive coordinator...
Or that was the excuse to cover his and K-rag's a$$es...

Or that was the excuse to cover his and K-rag's a$$es...

Possibly. Todd Graham was the DC at Tulsa. He was hired as the Tulsa HC when Kragthorpe was hired by Louisville. It could be that when Graham declined to come with Kragthorpe, Cassity was Kragthorpe’s top DC candidate. Jurich was always a master at using the media to get out the message he wanted the fan base to hear.

You can try to ground my optimism in a million different mathematical ways, but ‘our’ coach is Satterfield. And I like my coach very much. If anything,

Appalachian State was left with a solid program and is enjoying a top 25 season this year. Coach Satterfield played a “positive role” in that, regardless on how you try to angle it.

He’s now coaching at the Ville and has literally outshined most prognosticators to this point. And I like my team and I’m ecstatic about their game to game progress.

Saturday’s don’t come quick enough during these fall days. Virginia is next up and I guarantee you my expectations will be even higher by kick off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT