ADVERTISEMENT

The Cards finished season w/ the 28th ranked O, and 42nd ranked D.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Per NCAA stats. Normally, that would equate to a pretty decent season. Yet, 4-7 was the result. I know the Cards didn't exactly opt out of a bowl. I believe Satt kept on saying a bowl game wasn't in the picture, or something to that effect. Despite the overall record, the Cards did finish the season on a pretty good note, closing it out 2-1. My point is the Cards got better towards the end, and that bowl prep could have done wonders riding into 2021. Strange year is the only thing you can say, really. <EDIT> Digging deeper into the stats, there were just 3 teams who turned the ball over more than UofL. The Cards lost the ball 24 times. Think about that. In 11 games, they coughed it up 24 times. Ga Tech and Miss. St each had 25 turnovers. Duke had 39.:oops: So, there's the obvious answer. I knew we had turnover problems. I didn't know we were the 4th worst in the country at them.

Last edited:
Turnovers were a big part of the record. People look at the record in 2019 and in 2020 and think we really took a dive. They’re right in terms of the record, but what is forgotten is how many close wins we had in 2019 and how many close losses we had in 2020. The TOs essentially turned wins into losses. Also, poor starts were a factor. We seemed to frequently play from behind, which changes the play calling.

They aren’t good enough yet to overcome turnovers. That was their downfall. Have to get better line play and at QB. The one position that can’t turn it over is QB. He handles the ball more than anyone. He has to make better decisions, being more consistent under pressure.

They get those two things corrected they will be much better resulting in more wins. The defense will be better. The safety play can’t be worse. Jenkins can play. Minkins needs to add weight. Both look like D1 safeties.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT