ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Chris Mack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
This is great to hear our coach is taking time to do this!

Chris Mack is making former Louisville basketball players feel welcome
Jake Lourim, Louisville Courier JournalPublished 9:43 a.m. ET July 2, 2018

Louisville basketball coach Chris Mack has said he wants to make former players feel welcome. Those former players said that is not an easy task.

The 2012-13 team held a reunion Friday still shrouded in controversy. The men were reminiscing about a national championship that has since been erased. The program is still on NCAA probation for violations committed in that time. Mack has the job because those violations, in part, ousted former coach Rick Pitino.

Two players from that national title team have been disassociated from the program. Still, the alumni in town Friday said Mack has backed up his promise and made them feel welcome.

“He could have clearly come in and just wiped a clean slate and wanted to start anew,” former guard Peyton Siva said. “But he obviously took this job because he loves the history and tradition that the University of Louisville has, and he wants to build toward the future.”

Mack said at his introductory press conference that there are no “different eras.” He wanted to make past teams feel welcome, even those that still have fresh wounds. Some players expressed a disconnect between returning to a school that still appreciates them and the fact that their achievements have been vacated from that school.

Mack, the players said, is not hindered by that disconnect.

“You don’t feel that too often,” Russ Smith said. “A lot of people extend invites just so they can feel accepted. He doesn’t (hide) his pride when it comes to stuff like that. He was completely open and wanted the love to be mutual.”

In three months on the job, Mack has slowly acquainted himself with the former players. Siva, who has been playing overseas and just arrived in Louisville last week, said he had not met with the coach yet. Chane Behanan said Mack recruited him out of high school when he coached at Xavier.

Smith said he met Mack one day in the spring when Smith was working out at Louisville and Mack walked in. On April 19, Mack thanked Smith on Twitter for spending time with the current players, wished him a happy birthday and teased him, “Make it a great one old man!”

More coverage: Louisville basketball's 2018-19 schedule taking shape

Siva, in Europe, followed Mack on Twitter after Louisville hired him and connected that way. He said he appreciated Mack’s video on Twitter of his young son, Brayden, jumping off a diving board. “The definition of brave,” Siva called it.

While Behanan and Montrezl Harrell have been disassociated, many of the other former players have stopped by campus to work out.

“Especially a lot of the former players who felt like they couldn’t come back,” Smith said. “I’m talking maybe the 90s or the early 2000s, him bringing guys back and saying, ‘You’re a part of us,’ it makes everybody feel one. It makes everybody feel like a family.”

Tim Henderson, who also still lives in the Louisville area, said Friday that Mack has reached out to alumni and requested their presence at program get-togethers.

“It didn’t matter if you were part of a controversy, like our team was, or you weren’t,” Henderson said. “He was just going to take you like family.”

Jake Lourim: 502-582-4168; jlourim@courierjournal.com; Twitter: @jakelourim. Support strong local journalism by subscribing today: www.courier-journal.com/jakel.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Did anyone who went to the 2013 team celebration down at 4th Street Live last week notice how many current and Crum-era guys were at the event? I didn't attend, but I caught several of the news reports. And I didn't see anyone else there that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside about the inclusiveness that's now running rampant from Floyd St. north to 2nd & Main and back.

Maybe they took a detour around 4th Street... :cool:

What's the scoop on Chane and Montrezl being "disassociated"? Whose decision was this, why and what does that mean actually? There are pictures of Russ and Mangok with the ugly ho's in the book, so there has to be more to it than "involvement."

What's the scoop on Chane and Montrezl being "disassociated"? Whose decision was this, why and what does that mean actually? There are pictures of Russ and Mangok with the ugly ho's in the book, so there has to be more to it than "involvement."

Chane and Trez did not cooperate with the investigation which resulted in their temporary disassociation. They were made aware that not cooperating could result in that. I certainly do t blame them for not cooperating with the kangaroo court though.

To my knowledge, (not) recognizing the 2013 championship applies to U of L in an official capacity. For example, it may be difficult for U of L to host the 2013 champs at halftime for a home basketball game.

There's nothing that prevented players or coaches from showing up at this event on their own. Chris Mack and family could have been there. Denny could have been or Darrell Griffith. Maybe one or more were; as I said, I couldn't make it...

To my knowledge, (not) recognizing the 2013 championship applies to U of L in an official capacity. For example, it may be difficult for U of L to host the 2013 champs at halftime for a home basketball game.

There's nothing that prevented players or coaches from showing up at this event on their own. Chris Mack and family could have been there. Denny could have been or Darrell Griffith. Maybe one or more were; as I said, I couldn't make it...

The players are giving Mack credit for themselves feeling included so its kind of hard to criticize him for not being there being some sort of huge slight to them. Hopefully he is working on getting this team ready and recruiting for the future.

Crum and his era of players weren't going to be there. He and a lot of them still have axes to grind with Pitino so I don't expect them to celebrate any Pitino era accomplishments.

The players are giving Mack credit for themselves feeling included so its kind of hard to criticize him for not being there being some sort of huge slight to them. Hopefully he is working on getting this team ready and recruiting for the future.

Crum and his era of players weren't going to be there. He and a lot of them still have axes to grind with Pitino so I don't expect them to celebrate any Pitino era accomplishments.
I'm not singling out any one guy like Mack.

And you may well be right about Crum and his former players. But what does that say about our new environment of inclusiveness?

"OK if we wanna include you and you should show up... But don't expect that in return."

? ? ? ? ?

I'm not singling out any one guy like Mack.

And you may well be right about Crum and his former players. But what does that say about our new environment of inclusiveness?

"OK if we wanna include you and you should show up... But don't expect that in return."

? ? ? ? ?

Not exactly sure where you are going with this, but Mack had a get together at Doc Crow’s not too long ago that was well attended by Pitino and Crum-era players.

Not exactly sure where you are going with this, but Mack had a get together at Doc Crow’s not too long ago that was well attended by Pitino and Crum-era players.
Yeah, that's one direction on the street. What about the other one?...

Not celebrating Pitino. He wasn’t there. It’s about supporting the players. L1C4 still means something.

Reactions: zipp
I think Chuck Smrt told us that...

Probably so, although this seems to be the common practice for NCAA member schools. They are that as the only leverage over former athletes.

Unless you’re a coach. Bruce Pearl refuses to cooperate and he gets an extension. Seems like a lot of different standards between coaches and players; UofL and everyone else.

“...well attended by Pitino and Crum-era players”. My bad, I guess I should’ve used first names.
You're missing the point as usual...

This isn't about Mack and Crum-era guys organizing an event. It's about the Pitino guys doing that and Mack and Crum's guys participating. That's what this 4th Street Live event was.

And IIRC, the Mack get-together was lightly attended by Pitino ex-players as well. I recall seeing three of about sixty guys who came thru here the last two decades.

Inclusiveness is a word that makes people feel good. Witnessing it and guys actually participating may be something else...

The real question is how many would actually show up if there wasn’t a riff. I’m thinking the number would be low as many don’t even live in Louisville. Jerry Eaves seems to be one of the more vocal complainers, was he at either event?

You're missing the point as usual...

This isn't about Mack and Crum-era guys organizing an event. It's about the Pitino guys doing that and Mack and Crum's guys participating. That's what this 4th Street Live event was.

And IIRC, the Mack get-together was lightly attended by Pitino ex-players as well. I recall seeing three of about sixty guys who came thru here the last two decades.

Inclusiveness is a word that makes people feel good. Witnessing it and guys actually participating may be something else...

I wasn’t referring to the 4th St Live event. I was pretty clearly talking about the Doc Crowe’s event. Did you ever consider that the Mack event may not have met your exacting standards for Pitino players because perhaps they are young and working? Lots of them haven’t reached the point where they have retired back to Louisville. Your anti-Mack agenda is silly.

I wasn’t referring to the 4th St Live event. I was pretty clearly talking about the Doc Crowe’s event. Did you ever consider that the Mack event may not have met your exacting standards for Pitino players because perhaps they are young and working? Lots of them haven’t reached the point where they have retired back to Louisville. Your anti-Mack agenda is silly.
You mean 95% of them were unavailable for Mack? While the turnout for the 4th St. event by ONE roster of Pitino ex-players was the opposite?

Sorry, I don't think "availability" 'splains it...

The real question is how many would actually show up if there wasn’t a riff. I’m thinking the number would be low as many don’t even live in Louisville. Jerry Eaves seems to be one of the more vocal complainers, was he at either event?
"Riff" is supposed to be what the new regime is dispensing with. Supposed to be...

You mean 95% of them were unavailable for Mack? While the turnout for the 4th St. event by ONE roster of Pitino ex-players was the opposite?

First of all, Hancock, Van Treese and Henderson were at the Doc Crowe’s event so your 95% is invalid. Secondly the 4th St Live event was planned well in advance with professional schedules strongly considered. It makes sense that a planned out reunion for the championship team would be more attended than a get-to-know-you dinner party. Sorry but your best attempts at deflection and alternative narratives are failing badly.

First of all, Hancock, Van Treese and Henderson were at the Doc Crowe’s event so your 95% is invalid. Secondly the 4th St Live event was planned well in advance with professional schedules strongly considered. It makes sense that a planned out reunion for the championship team would be more attended than a get-to-know-you dinner party. Sorry but your best attempts at deflection and alternative narratives are failing badly.
That's because you understand neither English nor math...

Luke, SVT, and Wichita...that's 3 outta 60 or 5%. 100 minus that is 95% of Pitino's guys absent from Mack's event. Thanks for verifying my numbers.

The fact that the 2013 celebration was "planned well in advance" should have made it EASIER for other guys to attend, not more difficult. Thanks again.

But I really didn't need the help...

That's because you understand neither English nor math...

Luke, SVT, and Wichita...that's 3 outta 60 or 5%. 100 minus that is 95% of Pitino's guys absent from Mack's event. Thanks for verifying my numbers.

The fact that the 2013 celebration was "planned well in advance" should have made it EASIER for other guys to attend, not more difficult. Thanks again.

But I really didn't need the help...

3 guys from one team were there. Assuming that was the going rate, then your numbers are bunk. The anti-Mack agenda is laughable.

I’m still not sure why zipp is anti-Mack. Unless it’s because he was hired by Vince Tyra. Oh well, once again, let’s move on. It’s obvious that there has been an effort by Coach Mack and his people to reach out to all past UofL players and that there has been a very positive response from those guys. And, before zipp ask, the only evidence I have is the various media comments regarding this. It’s also known that “Dick” Pitino was not open to former players and I still do not “get” that attitude. Oh well, this is a good “move on” situation. L1C4!!!! Oh, and who cares what Jerry Eaves thinks.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

3 guys from one team were there. Assuming that was the going rate, then your numbers are bunk. The anti-Mack agenda is laughable.
What do you mean "one team"? I said Pitino's guys--I think he coached here for almost two decades. Where were 95% of his guys at this event promoting inclusiveness?

What's the view like from that Egyptian waterfront property?...

nile.gif

Last edited:
I’m still not sure why zipp is anti-Mack. Unless it’s because he was hired by Vince Tyra. Oh well, once again, let’s move on. It’s obvious that there has been an effort by Coach Mack and his people to reach out to all past UofL players and that there has been a very positive response from those guys. And, before zipp ask, the only evidence I have is the various media comments regarding this. It’s also known that “Dick” Pitino was not open to former players and I still do not “get” that attitude. Oh well, this is a good “move on” situation. L1C4!!!! Oh, and who cares what Jerry Eaves thinks...
I'm not anti-Mack. I'm not pro-Mack. He stands on his own two feet. And superficial fluff pieces like the OP linked are pro-Mack. That's why I push back and will continue to do so. Let Mack win a game or two he shouldn't, and let him land a player or two unexpectedly. I haven't witnessed anything like that so far.

What Pitino allegedly did or didn't do has nothing to do with Mack. Again, this is about the new guy. I've moved on from Pitino except when people keep bringing his name up.

And for the record, no one that I can find has yet confirmed how many Crum era and Mack guys were at 4th Street Live...

“What Pitino did or didn’t do has nothing to do with Mack”

You are out of your mind. Of course the job your predecessor did has plenty to do with the person who follows. You are a Mack-hater plain and simple. It’s pathetic how you’ve carved out this strange and sad position.

Levitch, Perrin Johnson and Reece Gaines were at the event. If you’d like file an open records request and maybe you’ll get the full attendee list at Doc Crows. It really doesn’t matter to you though because you’ll continue to push your anti-Mack narrative regardless.

“What Pitino did or didn’t do has nothing to do with Mack”

You are out of your mind. Of course the job your predecessor did has plenty to do with the person who follows. You are a Mack-hater plain and simple. It’s pathetic how you’ve carved out this strange and sad position...
That's just the rhetoric of haters trying to overlay their hate on others. And it's haters who keep bringing up Pitino's name because they can't exorcise their demons.

This thread is about Mack if you wanna keep it there. But here's a reminder if you can't...

The Master

alg-pitino-jpg-e1506602823210.jpg

I wish would could exorcise the Pitino demons. It will take time to do that.

This is all so laughable. Someone posts about an all-inclusive former player event hosted by the new coach. You then talk about an unsanctioned 2013 championship event and the possible lack of inclusivity (of course none of know who was invited). And yet that potential lack of incluvisity is somehow the fault of Chris Mack? Perhaps the 2013 guys still need to exorcise the Pitino demons themselves. Who knows? I do know that Hancock, Van Treese and Perrin Johnson are happy and impressed and feel welcome by the new staff. I also know that Chris Mack has positive interaction on Twitter with former players like D Mitchell, Russ and Damion Lee. Bottom line is that you are trying to create controversy when there is none. UofL is back on track now and that burns you up because you are anti-Tyra and anti-Mack.

I'm not trying to create anything except a level playing field. All of this Mack-is-great stuff when he really hasn't done a damn thing is just so superficial. Fans trying to feel good about themselves again, and haters trying to love their guy(s).

And dudes like Luke and Perrin Johnson are in it for bigger gain that just feeling loved. Luke's a financial adviser, and Perrin will suck up to anyone who will put him on the radio for 15 minutes. IOW, give me stats, not an anecdote like there's-a-brown-dog-so-all-dogs-are-brown...

I'm not trying to create anything except a level playing field. All of this Mack-is-great stuff when he really hasn't done a damn thing is just so superficial. Fans trying to feel good about themselves again, and haters trying to love their guy(s).

And dudes like Luke and Perrin Johnson are in it for bigger gain that just feeling loved. Luke's a financial adviser, and Perrin will suck up to anyone who will put him on the radio for 15 minutes. IOW, give me stats, not an anecdote like there's-a-brown-dog-so-all-dogs-are-brown...

LOL. How in the hell do you know how Luke and Perrin really feel? Quit shoveling out your lies.

LOL. How in the hell do you know how Luke and Perrin really feel? Quit shoveling out your lies.
5% of Pitino's guys in attendance tells me all I need to know. There's no breakthrough here except in some people's minds...

So you're over here on the free board pissing on threads too.

Hey all you cat fan trolls on here, Zipp is in your camp now bashing on UofL. Enjoy your new addition..

Reactions: Wall2Boogie

And now you're bashing former UofL players..

You've lost it.. Back away from the keyboard.

I wish would could exorcise the Pitino demons. It will take time to do that.

This is all so laughable. Someone posts about an all-inclusive former player event hosted by the new coach. You then talk about an unsanctioned 2013 championship event and the possible lack of inclusivity (of course none of know who was invited). And yet that potential lack of incluvisity is somehow the fault of Chris Mack? Perhaps the 2013 guys still need to exorcise the Pitino demons themselves. Who knows? I do know that Hancock, Van Treese and Perrin Johnson are happy and impressed and feel welcome by the new staff. I also know that Chris Mack has positive interaction on Twitter with former players like D Mitchell, Russ and Damion Lee. Bottom line is that you are trying to create controversy when there is none. UofL is back on track now and that burns you up because you are anti-Tyra and anti-Mack.

Mack is doing the best he can. In a hard situation. Some or just one person dosent see that. The negativity from a poster is more about themselves then the program. Anything Mack does this poster will discourage anything positive. I promise this child wakes up angry and hates himself. Laws of attraction. Mack reaching out to past players is the right thing to do..If Mack ever gets on a level playing field..he could do some great things at UL.

Reactions: shutzhund
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT