ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Hires Chris Beard

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Texas is hiring Texas Tech coach Chris Beard to the same position for the Longhorns, according to CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. Beard will succeed Shaka Smart as the Texas coach after Smart left to take the Marquette job last month.

Beard is a University of Texas alumnus who has long been linked to the Longhorns as his star steadily brightened with the Red Raiders. The news of Beard's move across the state comes on the same day his contractual buyout for another Big 12 program dropped from $5 million to $4 million

Texas seems to have lost their MOJO the last several years in both football and basketball.

I think Beard is the right hire I feel sorry for Texas Tech but that is how the game is played.

Lubbock is not an easy place to recruit; evidenced by the number of transfers and foreign players that Beard brought in. Texas will become a major BB power with Beard as HC.

I think Beard is the right hire I feel sorry for Texas Tech but that is how the game is played.
Texas Tech amazingly has had Bob Knight, Billy Gillespie, Tubby Smith, & Chris Beard as their coaches over the last 20 years in basketball. All big names. They've also had Mike Leach, Tommy Tubberville, and Kliff Kingsburry in football. Not to mention Patrick Mahommes & Baker Mayfield were there QBs at one point, with Patty Ice now being the biggest star QB in the NFL.

That's some big names in the sport that have been in Lubbock.

Reactions: rh62531
I agree with you Louis he’s a great coach and he will get the best recruits at Texas.

Texas Tech amazingly has had Bob Knight, Billy Gillespie, Tubby Smith, & Chris Beard as their coaches over the last 20 years in basketball. All big names. They've also had Mike Leach, Tommy Tubberville, and Kliff Kingsburry in football. Not to mention Patrick Mahommes & Baker Mayfield were there QBs at one point, with Patty Ice now being the biggest star QB in the NFL.

That's some big names in the sport that have been in Lubbock.

Was Billy Clyde an assistant at Tech? Because he went to Lexington from A&M. To the rest, very good points. Don’t forget Michael Crabtree who was nearly unstoppable in college

Was Billy Clyde an assistant at Tech? Because he went to Lexington from A&M. To the rest, very good points. Don’t forget Michael Crabtree who was nearly unstoppable in college
Head Coach.

Bob Knight retired. Pat Knight took over and they were bad. Then Gillespie came in & the program tanked. I mean I think the entire team quit, 15 players to be exact. An investigation into player mistreatment happened. He was fired. Tubby came in and revived their program before handing it off to Beard.

ADVERTISEMENT