ADVERTISEMENT

Teams the Cards have never played who you'd like to see in the future.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Scratching Ga Tech off that list this season. It's pretty amazing how many teams, in 100 years of football, who we haven't played. Lot of Pac-12 teams. Understandably so given the travel involved. Anyway, here's the list. P5 schools only.

Iowa
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Iowa St.
Texas Tech
Arizona
Cal
Colorado
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington St.
Arkansas
Ole Miss
South Carolina

Scratching Ga Tech off that list this season. It's pretty amazing how many teams, in 100 years of football, who we haven't played. Lot of Pac-12 teams. Understandably so given the travel involved. Anyway, here's the list. P5 schools only.

Iowa
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Iowa St.
Texas Tech
Arizona
Cal
Colorado
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington St.
Arkansas
Ole Miss
South Carolina
UCLA , USC , UW, Oregon, Michigan, Arkansas, Cal ,Colo

I think Ole Miss is on our schedule in the future? Michigan would be good and OSU. Have we played OSU?

Reactions: nashvegascard
We've played both Oregon State and Ohio State.....don't think we've played Oklahoma State ;)
We played all three OSUs (in Stillwater during the MVC days, in Columbus under Snelly with Jeff Brohm and Ralph Dawkins, and Home and Home with the Beavers under CCS).
I want to see Michigan and Wisconsin, but it has to be Home and Home. No 2 for 1 or neutral sites. We’ve got a big boy Stadium now and we’re in a big boy conference.

Had an easy tie ball game at tOSU with no time left if we kick the PAT.

Of course Snelly said “we didn’t come here for a tie”, goes for two, and JB barely overthrew the receiver. I was there.

I kind of miss those days. Fans were a lot closer/unified, and passionate. We didn’t have to deal with many casual/social fans.

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
I thought the Cards outplayed the BucEyes that day and deserved to win the game. Oh well.....the stuff legends are made of.

I heard after two scares from the Cards....they didn't want to play them anymore. :rolleyes::oops:o_O I can only imagine.......the fear of losing to UofL that ran thru Ohio back then. They were scareted no doubt.

I’d like to see UCLA, Washington, Stanford, Southern Cal and any of the arrogant Big 10+4 teams. Home and home of course.

I would like to see us develop “rival” type games with those schools that are close enough to bring fans to Louisville. Schools from P5 conferences like WVA, Vandy, UT, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin, Penn State. Teams from the west coast won’t bring that many fans here and we need to have visiting teams that bring fans to our stadium (and city).

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I would think Arkansas, South Carolina, Michigan and Wisconsin would be the best in terms of getting fans from other schools to show up and being big enough programs for cards fans to fill the stadium. So those 4. USC would be cool as well.

We've played both Oregon State and Ohio State.....don't think we've played Oklahoma State ;)

We played all three OSUs (in Stillwater during the MVC days, in Columbus under Snelly with Jeff Brohm and Ralph Dawkins, and Home and Home with the Beavers under CCS).
I want to see Michigan and Wisconsin, but it has to be Home and Home. No 2 for 1 or neutral sites. We’ve got a big boy Stadium now and we’re in a big boy conference.

We beat OKlahoma St & Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas in old Cardinal Stadium as QB Dean May threw a still record tying 5 TD passes to future All Pro Mark Clayton despite over 300 yards rushing by Thomas. Not sure but still might be the record rushing against us & we still won.

A great win by Coach Bob Weber & OC Steve Marriouchi (sp?) a future Super Bowl coach for the 49ers.

In one TD the great Clayton caught a pass as he hurdled the Safety & landed on the goalpost side. One of the best plays ever that I have seen here or anywhere. At only 5’9” he could dunk easily. Sadly he has remained astranged from the program since he left.

Reactions: Mayoman
I would like to see us develop “rival” type games with those schools that are close enough to bring fans to Louisville. Schools from P5 conferences like WVA, Vandy, UT, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin, Penn State. Teams from the west coast won’t bring that many fans here and we need to have visiting teams that bring fans to our stadium (and city).

Oregon State brought more fans than any team in the Big East ever did (minus WVa) plus any ACC team not named Clemson or Florida State. They brought a ton of fans plus had a huge tailgate over by Churchill Downs.

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
Oregon State brought more fans than any team in the Big East ever did (minus WVa) plus any ACC team not named Clemson or Florida State. They brought a ton of fans plus had a huge tailgate over by Churchill Downs.

Oregon St. did bring a good number of fans. A lot of them got to see an ass whooping. Petrino part I showed no mercy. I remember during the post game tailgate some OSU fans walking down Floyd and some a-hole Card fans heckled them as they drove off. As I passed by them I said don't pay attention to those clowns. It was just our day. You guys have a great program. They seemed to appreciate it. But, damn, we did slay them.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Had an easy tie ball game at tOSU with no time left if we kick the PAT.

Of course Snelly said “we didn’t come here for a tie”, goes for two, and JB barely overthrew the receiver. I was there.

I kind of miss those days. Fans were a lot closer/unified, and passionate. We didn’t have to deal with many casual/social fans.
I think you are mistaken , I was there too and Brohm rolled out on pass run option and thought he could get to pylon but Big Daddy Wilkinson stopped him a 1/2 yard short of end zone

Oregon St. did bring a good number of fans. A lot of them got to see an ass whooping. Petrino part I showed no mercy. I remember during the post game tailgate some OSU fans walking down Floyd and some a-hole Card fans heckled them as they drove off. As I passed by them I said don't pay attention to those clowns. It was just our day. You guys have a great program. They seemed to appreciate it. But, damn, we did slay them.

62-21 I believe.

I thought the Cards outplayed the BucEyes that day and deserved to win the game. Oh well.....the stuff legends are made of.

I heard after two scares from the Cards....they didn't want to play them anymore. :rolleyes::oops:o_O I can only imagine.......the fear of losing to UofL that ran thru Ohio back then. They were scareted no doubt.
tOSUs QB that day was....Kirk Herbstreit! Not a classic tOSU squad, but Cards still should have gotten a very big win on the road. Ralph Dawkins was his usual awesome self. Hard to believe how much Snelly got out of those recruits.

For those wanting to see how that Ohio State game ended ...

Here is the link to the full game on YouTube. Ralph Dawkins was INDEED a bad ass that day.

I want to play Stanford ... home and away.

With their current coach, which would guarantee a hard nosed football squad, and solid strength of schedule boost.

The non P5 version of teams the Cards have never played.

Old Dominion
Rice
UTSA
Ball St.
Bowling Green
UMASS
Air Force
Fresno St.
Hawaii
Nevada
New Mexico
SDSU
UNLV
Wyoming
Appy St.
Georgia St.
Ga. Southern
Idaho
Louisiana Lafayette
S. Alabama
Texas St.
Troy

The non P5 version of teams the Cards have never played.

Old Dominion
Rice
UTSA
Ball St.
Bowling Green
UMASS
Air Force
Fresno St.
Hawaii
Nevada
New Mexico
SDSU
UNLV
Wyoming
Appy St.
Georgia St.
Ga. Southern
Idaho
Louisiana Lafayette
S. Alabama
Texas St.
Troy

We’ve played Wyoming. 3-4 game series during Howard’s years.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Yeah. We’ve played Wyoming.

I caught an overthrown pass in the open end EZ at old Cardinal Stadium from the Wyoming QB that would have knocked out the guy standing next to me who was not paying attention. :p

It was one of the few incompletions for them, and few receptions for us as we lost 44-9. :mad:

I've noticed at our future schedule in 2020, we have an opening, I wish and hope we can get another big name team to play us. I know that we're playing Ole Miss in 2021.

Yeah. We’ve played Wyoming.

I caught an overthrown pass in the open end EZ at old Cardinal Stadium from the Wyoming QB that would have knocked out the guy standing next to me who was not paying attention. :p

It was one of the few incompletions for them, and few receptions for us as we lost 44-9. :mad:

That's actually a pretty awesome story, haha.

I attended the massacre by Eastern Kentucky in Howard's first or second year. That there was a lernin'.

We got in free with fundraiser candy bar wrappers that entitled you to a free ticket to a Louisville football game.

I am derailing the thread a bit, and I apologize. But while I'm at it, I'd love to see Louisville and WVU play again.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I’d like to see UCLA, Washington, Stanford, Southern Cal and any of the arrogant Big 10+4 teams. Home and home of course.
I noticed that you didn't name any SEC teams. I wonder why. Could it be that your record against SEC teams not named Kentucky, to say the least isn't very impressive. Come on man step up & play the big boys.

I noticed that you didn't name any SEC teams. I wonder why. Could it be that your record against SEC teams not named Kentucky, to say the least isn't very impressive. Come on man step up & play the big boys.

The topic is teams we haven't played. That leaves just Arkansas, Ole Miss, and South Carolina from the SEC. Meh.

Reactions: CommodoreCard

Hey horses patoot how about Alabama? I do believe we are stepping up to the plate in that one. $ec teams don’t like to go on the road versus other P5 schools but would rather play the likes of a Troy or a directional Louisiana school. But I do understand that as we’ve gotten to the point that we do the same thing.

I’ve noticed that I really don’t give a crap what a Ky fan on a Louisville board has to say about anything. Get bent rube...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT