ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse 3-0, FSU 3-0, Brohm and Purdue 1-2

Sounds like a liberal comeback, when they don't want to hear a different opinion. Any way, I am not new around here...you can check all my old post.
You’re a Satterfield slurper / Brohm hater who is struggling hearing people express a different opinion on those topics. If there’s a snowflake here - it’s you champ.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
Satt and Brohm are mid level P5 coaches. 6-6 type coaches. Not gonna win a conference title. Not gonna make the big boys scared.

Scott and Jeff both have never coached at a big time program. Have never seen what it looks like to win at the highest levels. They coach their system to what they know, but they aren’t going to raise us.

Howard coached NFL and the U

Bobby was a NFL OC & coached at Auburn when Tuberville was at a high level.

Charlie coached under Urban and saw 2 titles.

Jeff coached at UofL in the Big East. Illinois. WKU. Purdue. His pedigree is the low tier of power 5. Scott was Sun Belt before this and never saw anything more.

Go get a big time coach with NFL and Power 5 experience. Guys that have seen what elite programs look like and guys that have learned from the best.

Satt and Brohm are mid level P5 coaches. 6-6 type coaches. Not gonna win a conference title. Not gonna make the big boys scared.

Scott and Jeff both have never coached at a big time program. Have never seen what it looks like to win at the highest levels. They coach their system to what they know, but they aren’t going to raise us.

Howard coached NFL and the U

Bobby was a NFL OC & coached at Auburn when Tuberville was at a high level.

Charlie coached under Urban and saw 2 titles.

Jeff coached at UofL in the Big East. Illinois. WKU. Purdue. His pedigree is the low tier of power 5. Scott was Sun Belt before this and never saw anything more.

Go get a big time coach with NFL and Power 5 experience. Guys that have seen what elite programs look like and guys that have learned from the best.
Like Herm Edwards?

No one knows who's the right coach or who will win consistently here. I think Satterfield first has to relinquish his control of the offense if he's going to succeed unless the players he recruits are good enough to win anyway.

X: you sound exactly like those UK fans who wanted to fire Stoops in those early years when he was struggling.

So far this year we rank...
#120 in Penalties/Game (10)
#110 in Penalty Yards/Game (75.7)

As a kids' coach I could not "accept" penalties and would probably be the same if a college coach! :mad:

Peace
WC, I appreciate your position, but you cannot argue that as far back as we can go, despite who we had a HC, UL was one of the most penalized teams in college football.

Reactions: Guardman
What you have is a defense that can’t make key stops and a QB can’t make winning plays in key spots. That leads to close losses.

Everyone gets enamored with offense but legit defense is what keeps you in games and gives you offense the chance to win the game.

The defense is bad. The way they blow coverages and miss tackles is a ridiculous but they did enough to give the offense a chance to win the game. Malik didn’t make plays. It really is that simple. He missed a really simple crossing route threw it behind Hudson. He gets happy feet. UCF same thing throws behind Ford. Last drive he make a terrible decision that led to an interception.

Until Malik starts making plays at the end of the game Louisville is going to continue to loss tight games. Tight games are going to happen the talent gap isn’t that far off. In year 6 this shouldn’t be an issue for him.

WC, I appreciate your position, but you cannot argue that as far back as we can go, despite who we had a HC, UL was one of the most penalized teams in college football.
Going back 20 years indicates that on average UofL has been at the bottom of the second third of most penalized teams - roughly 85th out of 128. That said, of all of UofL's coaches during that time span, Satterfield has the worst average penalties per game (7.45) and, the worst overall ranking - at 97th out of 128 schools.

Reactions: nccardfan
Your right! I just checked our last 3 coaches (Satterfield, BP #2 and Strong) and we were pretty damn bad at penalties. For those 12.5 years we have averaged #100 and never been any been better than 67th (just last year) in (fewest) penalties committed.

I guess I was just reverting back to my old kid coaching approach that "Getting beat is one thing but penalties are another. Penalties are mistakes". :(

Peace

WC: your original point was valid and well stated!

My only qualification about our historic propensity for penalties by previous coaches, is that it does not necessarily reflect coaching. I believe Miami under Schnellenberger was recognized as one of the most penalized football programs during that era.

I had used our loss to Syracuse as an example; the Orange won decidedly despite being heavily penalized.

Interesting note about Dino Babers, as he has been on the “coaching hot seat“ for several seasons, in fact I believe he may have been considered in the top 5 coming into 2022 season. The decision by theirAD to show patience may be rewarding Babers and the Orange football program. A lot of football to play, but the win over Purdue showed a resourcefulness that has been missing.

Reactions: Guardman
It is extremely frustrating to watch Louisville. The learning curve for the staff has been bigger than I thought. The reality is Louisville is not going to outclass teams in the ACC. As fans we forgot how our teams in Big East-CUSA-AAC had better talent than 90 percent of the teams in those conferences. Recruiting in the ACC has been average to poor. When talent is basically even the number of games that come down to 4th quarter increases.

It isn’t a poorly coached team like many say. It is a staff that hasn’t figured out how to get their players to make plays in key moments. They simply haven’t had players that make key plays.

FSU
1) Smith drops a pass
2) Duncan misses 2 tackles that led to big runs.
3)Malik misses a easy pass
4) Blow coverage or poor scheme by putting Duncan on their best WR.
5) Malik or RB miss handled exchange

Players make coaches money or get them fired. I promise you if players continue to not make plays coaches will be on the market.

People that keep saying don’t let the recruiting factor in this decision don’t understand what it takes to get over the hump. It takes dudes. Think of it this way what coach is going to come in here and win next year if they lose this class. With that said they go 4-8 the administration hand will be forced.

Reactions: 2330859
Once again Cycle, you nailed it. If Satterfield and this staff are guilty of any one over-riding fault ……it’s failure to bring in the level and number of talent required to play at this level. Ironically, it appears that his verbal commitments for 2023 is representative of where we need to be going forward. Only time will tell whether the class holds up, and whether Satterfield remains as HC.

What Brohm brings is excitement, a fun offense, good recruiting, and a puncher's chance against anyone on any given Saturday in any given season. He also brings inconsistency, less emphasis on defense, and some head-scratching losses. That is the back of his baseball card, that is what we would be getting. There would be the highest highs and some infuriating, inexplicable lows. He'll beat Clemson early on, and then lose to a BC type program and finish 6-6. There is plenty of data to show all of this.

Brohm would be better than Sunbelt Scotty and First Down Brown. I have my reservations but I'd support him if hired and root for him 100%.

What i've learned is it is better to hire a coordinator from a successful bigtime program (Petrino 1.0, Strong, Kirby Smart at UGA) than a successful HC from a G5 one (Satterfield, Frost, Herman).

Last edited:
I loved Brohm 4 years ago. He had a chance to take Louisville to the next level. The timing was perfect. It made too much sense. It was a dumb decision on his part to stay at Purdue.

Fast forward 4 years it is no longer a perfect fit. Things have changed. There is more data. The truth is he has the same problem as Satterfield. He doesn’t have enough high end talent to finish games. His record is not much better in tight games.

If a move is made Brohm isn’t the right fit this time around. He would of been given all the time in the world the 1st go around but now fans aren’t going to be as patient. The data says he won’t do much better than Satterfield in tight games.

What i've learned is it is better to hire a coordinator from a successful bigtime program (Petrino 1.0, Strong, Kirby Smart at UGA) than a successful HC from a P5 one (Satterfield, Frost, Herman).
How does UofL get them to stay though?

I understand where you’re coming from - I just disagree. The revolving door at HC has been very detrimental to the trajectory of the program.

Understood. The back of our baseball card says we change coaches every 4 years. The way to fix this is probably to hire someone like a Brohm or a Ragone type and for them to have massive success and their hearts to be in it enough to stay when the Texases and Bamas come calling. Even then, who knows really......remember Mack & Satterfield both left their alma maters to coach at Louisville.

Last edited:
just saying... we've lost to only undefeated teams and the #1 replacement everyone wants just lost to the same team as us and is 1-2. be careful what you wish for.
I’m not a Brohm or nothing guy, but the level of support here vs Purdue is not comparable. And he still has been quality wins than CSS.

If they find a better coach than Brohm, I’m all for it. But I’m 99% sure Brohm would have a better record here than CSS has had.

I understand where you’re coming from - I just disagree. The revolving door at HC has been very detrimental to the trajectory of the program.
I’m gonna disagree. Petrino 1.0 was a short term coach, but his teams got our program viewed as a national threat. It got our fans expecting much more. It’s why with Krag we didn’t accept mediocrity and we moved to Charlie. Yeah, Charlie didn’t stay long but the success of his teams was the biggest reason we made it to the ACC.

The problem with those hires wasn’t that they were short term, but it’s that we hired 2 coaches who were the hottest targets in the nation. We were so good that everyone kept calling.

We lost Bobby Petrino because the Atlanta Falcons wanted him to coach Michael Vick in his prime. Charlie Strong turned down a few big programs to stay, but then freaking Texas called him and it was impossible to say no.

So are you saying we should get a safer choice that’ll stay longer versus risking getting a great hire that’ll take us far but may get interest from a blue blood? If we hire a coach so good that Ohio State, Texas, NFL, etc wants them then we’ve made the right hire.

Reactions: SoulSr and gocds
I'm simply not convinced that CSS is the right person for our Head Coach at this time. Not sure he can recruit at this level on a consistent basis. At least he hasn't proven that he can. I'm not saying that he is a bad coach, i.e., Ron Cooper, but the recruits just haven't found him attractive.

GO CARDS!!!

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between those two games. Purdue would curb stomp and skull drag this team.
Yeah so. He can’t beat anyone else we’ve lost too. Not sure he could beat UCF. And it might be closer than you think against us because Purdue stinks and he’s done nothing significant in 6 years.

Yeah so. He can’t beat anyone else we’ve lost too. Not sure he could beat UCF. And it might be closer than you think against us because Purdue stinks and he’s done nothing significant in 6 years.

Hey! He beat Ohio State that one year…..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT