ADVERTISEMENT

Strong's time at USF is being investigated by the NCAA.

Quite possible that USF self-reported this. If true, the athletic department would have reasonable cause to stop paying Charlie his $3.1 million buyout, which is probably a huge burden to an athletic department from the American Conference that might not have football this fall.

I will ALWAYS love Charlie and welcome him back, L1C4.

To be honest, we are lucky for the time we had him and got the beer out of him. The longer he may have stayed, things might have gotten ugly.

Theres probably a reason he didn’t get P5 looks. That whole Urban Meyer staff had a stink at Florida. He came in here with Clint Hurtt and got some talent in a weaker Big East and AAC. Teddy and DeVante hid his offensive ineptitude. The supposed issue with the booster wife happened.

I think when he left, he did just enough and I’m grateful. Sugar Bowl win and got us to the ACC. But I think his 4 years were plenty and I thank him.

I will ALWAYS love Charlie and welcome him back, L1C4.

To be honest, we are lucky for the time we had him and got the beer out of him. The longer he may have stayed, things might have gotten ugly.

Theres probably a reason he didn’t get P5 looks. That whole Urban Meyer staff had a stink at Florida. He came in here with Clint Hurtt and got some talent in a weaker Big East and AAC. Teddy and DeVante hid his offensive ineptitude. The supposed issue with the booster wife happened.

I think when he left, he did just enough and I’m grateful. Sugar Bowl win and got us to the ACC. But I think his 4 years were plenty and I thank him.

Couldn’t have stated it better myself. I think Strong was like shooting star. Burned
bright but burnt out fast. We were lucky we got the bright part. It wouldn’t have lasted

I hope someone is talking to Satt about the curse of coaches who try to leave here for greener pastures.

Charlie isn't in John L or Petrino's league yet but he's started down the path...

I hope someone is talking to Satt about the curse of coaches who try to leave here for greener pastures.

Charlie isn't in John L or Petrino's league yet but he's started down the path...
Getting fired at Texas
Then getting fired for bottoming out at USF is pretty bad.

At least Bobby won games a Arkansas.

Reactions: gocds
I’m glad Charlie is elsewhere. I like offensive football IN ADDITION to defensive football and he simply doesn’t deliver on that count. Plus, I’m not sure he’d be really “welcome” back here and it has nothing to do with his race. It has everything to do with his coaching philosophy. I’m seriously hoping that the partnership of Eaves and Sullivan realize that WE gave Charlie his first opportunity and that he chose to leave UofL, not the other way around. What neither of those guys understand is that the UofL fanbase has a certain expectation of their football coach and that Charlie simply doesn’t deliver.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

I'll never say anything bad about Charlie's time here as HC. That first half of the Sugar Bowl was a thing of beauty when it came to defenses. You can never prove a hypothetical, but while I agree the year after TB would have been a down year, Charlie was one heck of a recruiter - we never know what would have happened (yes I know, Clint Hurtt - but we still don't know). I credit HS (the most - he took our team that played in a minor league baseball stadium to the desert and beat friggin' BAMA in the Fiesta Bowl), JLS, BP, and CS all for the build that resulted in getting into the ACC. Leave it at that and be thankful.

I'll never say anything bad about Charlie's time here as HC. That first half of the Sugar Bowl was a thing of beauty when it came to defenses. You can never prove a hypothetical, but while I agree the year after TB would have been a down year, Charlie was one heck of a recruiter - we never know what would have happened (yes I know, Clint Hurtt - but we still don't know). I credit HS (the most - he took our team that played in a minor league baseball stadium to the desert and beat friggin' BAMA in the Fiesta Bowl), JLS, BP, and CS all for the build that resulted in getting into the ACC. Leave it at that and be thankful.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. And most of what you said is true, but (Big BUT) we are in the ACC because of the accomplishments of Tom Jurich. Pure and simple. Without Tom, and to some extent Dr Ramsey, we ARE NOT in the ACC. Tom made some mistakes along the way just as most ADs, or us, do but his biggest success here is our inclusion into the ACC. And I’ll always be appreciative of this.

The avg tenure for a D1 coach is about 4 years, so Strong's stay here was the standard. There's no perfect way for any coach to leave for another job without some fans acting like they got sand in their vaginas.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. And most of what you said is true, but (Big BUT) we are in the ACC because of the accomplishments of Tom Jurich. Pure and simple. Without Tom, and to some extent Dr Ramsey, we ARE NOT in the ACC. Tom made some mistakes along the way just as most ADs, or us, do but his biggest success here is our inclusion into the ACC. And I’ll always be appreciative of this.

Agree with you. I left off Jurich b/c I was referring to football coaches only - but completely agree. All of these folks are huge parts of the ACC addition.

We certainly wouldn’t have gotten into the ACC without Jurich. However if we had not gotten Charlie to replace Kragthorpe there’s no way the ACC extends an invite. Our football program was toast when Strong took over. The ACC was looking for a strong (pun intended) football program to replace Maryland. They could have taken UConn if all they wanted was another basketball program and like it or not UConn (and UC for that matter) had more academic credibility than us. Maybe Jurich could have found someone who would have done what Strong did in the three years just before the ACC invite if he had not hired Strong but maybe not. Luckily for us he did find Strong. I’m thankful to both.

We certainly wouldn’t have gotten into the ACC without Jurich. However if we had not gotten Charlie to replace Kragthorpe there’s no way the ACC extends an invite. Our football program was toast when Strong took over. The ACC was looking for a strong (pun intended) football program to replace Maryland. They could have taken UConn if all they wanted was another basketball program and like it or not UConn (and UC for that matter) had more academic credibility than us. Maybe Jurich could have found someone who would have done what Strong did in the three years just before the ACC invite if he had not hired Strong but maybe not. Luckily for us he did find Strong. I’m thankful to both.

You expanded on what I was trying to convey. Completely agree. We're all saying the same thing.

I think you guys are saying that we were “lucky” to have had Charlie when the ACC chose UofL. First, TJ had absolutely no idea the ACC would come calling back in 2010 after CSK was canned. Now if you’re saying us having a winning football program was important I totally agree. But the ACC would have taken UofL so long as we had reestablished ourselves as a football winner and it wouldn’t have made any difference who was our head coach. I will say that hiring a successful coach is a real gamble regardless of which sport you are talking about. Now as to our comparison to Cincy and UConn I disagree. Yes, those schools have a somewhat higher academic profile than we do although our academic profile had been improved and was improving when the ACC chose us. But with that being said I’d say our facilities had more to do with our selection than anything else. Neither Cincy or UConn have anywhere near the facilities that we do and that was a major player in our selection. Plus our athletic management was also head and shoulders above Cincy and/or UConn.

Reactions: PushupMan
USF invited NCAA to try to find secondary violations on Charlie. Specifically with quality control coaches. USF owes strong 3 million. Crazy world

USF invited NCAA to try to find secondary violations on Charlie. Specifically with quality control coaches. USF owes strong 3 million. Crazy world

Hopefully they’ll get “out” of that payment. But, WTH, I don’t really care whether they do or not as I’m not a huge USF (or UCF) fan. I’m just not a fan of huge payouts to fired coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT