ADVERTISEMENT

Strong is not welcome here!

No.1Cardfan

2000+
Nov 20, 2001
I am not interested in bringing his snarky attitude back here. Do you remember he didnt even give the kids a goodbye talk...even by phone. "thats not how I'm made"...thats how he's made....as an edit ...to add that I will appreciate the fact that he came here (although no one else would give him the chance but Tom...which he got crapped on for) after Kragthorpedoed us... His attitude at the first introduction interview was cocky.. and his exit was soooo low class. Cant say I havnt enjoyed his exposure as being light on skills (people and professionally).

Last edited:
Reactions: jim57
4 straight bowl games, 3 wins, Sugar Bowl championship, Big East championship, 37-15 record over 4 seasons, 3 straight wins over our arch rival, and my personal favorite, the UofL football program's only perfect APR score in program history - the same year we won the Sugar Bowl.

Results speak for themselves. He earned the right to be just as snarky as he wanted to be, because he delivered.

You may have a point about the way he left but he did one helluva job while he was here. Do I want him back? NO, because I don't want our offense protecting our defense. That attitude cost us games while he was here. But, all in all, he did a good job here and I don't resent him one bit.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

4 straight bowl games, 3 wins, Sugar Bowl championship, Big East championship, 37-15 record over 4 seasons, 3 straight wins over our arch rival, and my personal favorite, the UofL football program's only perfect APR score in program history - the same year we won the Sugar Bowl.

Results speak for themselves. He earned the right to be just as snarky as he wanted to be, because he delivered.
Can you say... Teddy.... quick vamoose after he left... somehow our cupboard wasnt as full as lead to believe. Glad to have the master of offense back...skeptical at first...was wrong... he is a changed man... and a guy who can get us where Strong never would have.

Reactions: wilkie01
I'd take Charlie back here ---- as Bobby's Defensive Coordinator, should Grantham leave for greener pastures --- in a freakin' HEARTBEAT. Charlie can coach D, as he proved in multiple stops at South Carolina and Florida, and again as a head coach here. Charlie can RECRUIT .. FLORIDA ... which is where we need to maintain as strong a presence as possible.

I can't imagine a more POTENT coaching combo than Petrino as HC, with Charlie as DC.

I hope Grantham stays around a while, but I wouldn't blame him for leaving if he did. And if he did leave .... we'd be hard pressed to find a DC the caliber of Charlie Strong to replace him.

I'd take Charlie back here ---- as Bobby's Defensive Coordinator, should Grantham leave for greener pastures --- in a freakin' HEARTBEAT. Charlie can coach D, as he proved in multiple stops at South Carolina and Florida, and again as a head coach here. Charlie can RECRUIT .. FLORIDA ... which is where we need to maintain as strong a presence as possible.

I can't imagine a more POTENT coaching combo than Petrino as HC, with Charlie as DC.

I hope Grantham stays around a while, but I wouldn't blame him for leaving if he did. And if he did leave .... we'd be hard pressed to find a DC the caliber of Charlie Strong to replace him.
as I posted in another thread, imagine if Charlie would work as an assistant to Grantham and recruiting coordinator.

If Saban can have 5 ex head coaches at Alabama surely Louisville could survive with 2.

Strong lacks humility. That's his undoing. Given his background, you would think he would have it.

The reality is that he's not that good. He was able to do things here given the resources and environment at hand. Timing was everything in his case.

He went to TX and the reality of his limits are glaring. If he had stayed, we would have suffered the same fate as Texas.

The same issues we had here with his coaching have all but doomed his stay at Texas.

The worst thing besides his current situation at Texas is what has taken place at UofL.

Strong leaves UofL and the next coach over period of three season has us in contention for the playoffs. In the same time period, his results at a program that arguably has the best resources and talent is heading steadily in the wrong direction.

Thanks for being here, but no I don't want him back either.

Strong lacks humility. That's his undoing. Given his background, you would think he would have it.

The reality is that he's not that good. He was able to do things here given the resources and environment at hand. Timing was everything in his case.

He went to TX and the reality of his limits are glaring. If he had stayed, we would have suffered the same fate as Texas.

The same issues we had here with his coaching have all but doomed his stay at Texas.

The worst thing besides his current situation at Texas is what has taken place at UofL.

Strong leaves UofL and the next coach over period of three season has us in contention for the playoffs. In the same time period, his results at a program that arguably has the best resources and talent is heading steadily in the wrong direction.

Thanks for being here, but no I don't want him back either.

And in what has turned out to be a tougher conference. Just chew on that for a moment . . . or two.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Well, we will find out very soon as CCS has been given notice at Texas that his service is no longer need at Texas. The million dollar questions are 1) does Jurich and Petrino want Strong back, and 2) does Strong want to comeback.

I am not interested in bringing his snarky attitude back here. Do you remember he didnt even give the kids a goodbye talk...even by phone. "thats not how I'm made"...thats how he's made....as an edit ...to add that I will appreciate the fact that he came here (although no one else would give him the chance but Tom...which he got crapped on for) after Kragthorpedoed us... His attitude at the first introduction interview was cocky.. and his exit was soooo low class. Cant say I havnt enjoyed his exposure as being light on skills (people and professionally).

Yeah man. It really sucked getting Teddy's class, having all that success, getting out of the 'Murican Cawnfurnce, and getting into the ACC and expanding the stadium some more. Oh yeah, and that perfect APR score was an embarrassment as well. I much prefer 4-8 seasons, heated conference battles with UConn with 13-10 scores, playing for crowds at ~35k. ESPN3 games were awesome, no one watches them so the streams are seamless!

The reality of his limits are that the Texas boosters are absolute morons who cannot wait until the end of year 3 to let Charlie finish rebuilding the program the right way - with great players who also have great character. That's their loss.

Mike Zimmer is a defensive coach, runs a conservative offense and relies on defense to win games, just like Charlie did while he was here. Zimmer beat Green Bay while winning the NFC North last year and is undefeated in the NFL this year with a QB starting who wasn't on the roster until a week before the season started. So don't attempt to tell me it cannot be done the way Charlie is attempting to do it.

I cannot disagree more strongly with your assessment of his shortcomings as our head football coach. The man won more games in consecutive seasons (23) than any coach in UofL history - that was no accident. And it wasn't simply Teddy Bridgewater - it was Charlie Strong crafting an offense that took advantage of Bridgewater's accuracy, high TD to INT ratio, and knowledge of the playbook and defenses. The offense valued first downs and time of possession as much as touchdowns, knowing that opponents would not be able to string together as many first downs in a row against our defense as Bridgewater could against theirs.

Strong is not coming back here as a DC. That's just ludicrous.

It's time to stop thinking of our football program as a mid major. We're in the top 10, with the most exciting player in the game, guiding an offense crafted by one of the best minds in college football. Our defense plays an exciting style, and has put a buncha guys in the NFL the past several seasons.

Top 10 programs routinely hire ex-head coaches for their coordinator positions, because a lot of times, they lose those coordinators to head coaching gigs ...

We are in that conversation now.

It is ludicrous to think that we WOULDN'T be an attractive spot for Charlie Strong as DC.

It's time to stop thinking of our football program as a mid major. We're in the top 10, with the most exciting player in the game, guiding an offense crafted by one of the best minds in college football. Our defense plays an exciting style, and has put a buncha guys in the NFL the past several seasons.

Top 10 programs routinely hire ex-head coaches for their coordinator positions, because a lot of times, they lose those coordinators to head coaching gigs ...

It is ludicrous to think that we WOULDN'T be an attractive spot for Charlie Strong as DC.

Agreed. While I am not hoping for Grantham to leave to become a HC, it would not surprise me if he did given all the success both on the field and in the NFL draft lately. I think I read that he is not only uninterested in being a HC, he is actually interested in NOT becoming one, he likes being DC? Someone help me out on that.

Charlie as DC would be pretty remarkable. I don't care what his defense in Texas is doing this year. It'd be a heckuva paycut though, going from !$5MM to ~$1MM.

Charlie as DC would be pretty remarkable. I don't care what his defense in Texas is doing this year. It'd be a heckuva paycut though, going from !$5MM to ~$1MM.

Yeah ... going from $5MM to $1MM would be a cut ... but it beats going from $5MM to $0. :D

If Will Muschamp, and Greg Schiano, and Gene Chizek, can go from HC to DC at big time schools, I see no reason why Charlie Strong couldn't do so ... and we're big enough a program to do that kind of thing now.

Yeah ... going from $5MM to $1MM would be a cut ... but it beats going from $5MM to $0. :D

If Will Muschamp, and Greg Schiano, and Gene Chizek, can go from HC to DC at big time schools, I see no reason why Charlie Strong couldn't do so ... and we're big enough a program to do that kind of thing now.

Agreed on all accounts. Like I said, I hope Grantham stays after this season, he's doing great at coaching and recruiting. The fact he turned down the RAIDERS last year says a lot. Unless he wants to be a HC somewhere, we could be set as far as coaching goes for many years.

If Grantham does go, I'd be down with giving Charlie $1MM and some big-bootied, unhappy MILF with a huge rack and let him go at it coaching the defense.

Last edited:

Agree with the 1st sentence. However, has there been an ex head coach go back as a coordinator at the same school that he was the head coach? Would CBP accepted a cordinator job at U of L? Would Lane Kiffen accept a cordinator job at Tenn or USC? It's reasonable to think CS would go back as a defensive cordinator but I doubt it would be U of L. I hope Todd G. Stays here for several years.

Reactions: BPGhost
Agree with the 1st sentence. However, has their been a ex head coach go back as a coordinator at the same school that he was the head coach? Would CBP accepted a cordinator job at U of L? Would Lane Kiffen accept a cordinator job at Tenn or USC? It's reasonable to think CS would go back as a defensive cordinator but I doubt it would be U of L. I hope Todd G. Stays here for several years.

Charlie Strong won't be walking through the coaches office door as an any type of assistant. He burned ever bridge he could set fire to when he left here. His ego would not allow him to return.
Very similar to John L's departure. Ugly and petty.

Charlie Strong won't be walking through the coaches office door as an any type of assistant. He burned ever bridge he could set fire to when he left here. His ego would not allow him to return.
Very similar to John L's departure. Ugly and petty.

Actually, NEITHER John L. Smith nor Charlie Strong burned any bridges at all with the man who matters - Tom Jurich. I'm 100% certain that, to this day, Tom Jurich absolutely loves both John L. Smith and Charlie Strong calling out our fan base for our lackadaisical support for the outstanding product they put on the field. That way, he didn't have to do it himself.

You might be right about Charlie's ego, but I doubt that, too.

Funny things happen to ego's when they get humbled. Being fired from Texas may do that for Charlie and his ego.

We DO know that what happened to Bobby in Arkansas DEFINITELY humbled him, and his ego. And talk about burning bridges on his way out the door .... Bobby napalmed them with TJ.

Yet here we are, enjoying a second Bobby Petrino era. Seeing how Bobby could make it back, should open up the possibility that should a DC spot open up, and should Charlie be looking for work at the same time, it could happen. That's admittedly a lot of ducks to get in a row ... but come on ... Bobby Petrino is back here. How many ducks was THAT to get in a row??

Actually, NEITHER John L. Smith nor Charlie Strong burned any bridges at all with the man who matters - Tom Jurich. I'm 100% certain that, to this day, Tom Jurich absolutely loves both John L. Smith and Charlie Strong calling out our fan base for our lackadaisical support for the outstanding product they put on the field. That way, he didn't have to do it himself.

I agree with you in regards to JLS and CS pointing out our fans lackadaisical support of the football program. I for one, appreciated them pointing it out,as it needed to be said.
But to use JLS as an example, in the last three years he was "available" to return in a coaching capacity but didn't pursue it.
I think it's extremely hard to return to a former HC gig as an assistant.

Charlie Strong points...
  • I'm grateful to him for what he accomplished here as I was for Petrino when he left in 2007. We were a better program in each instance when the guy walked out the door.
  • Strong wouldn't return here as anyone but the head coach anymore than Petrino would have. These guys have plenty of money and don't need to humiliate themselves.
  • Based on the performance of our defense when Charlie and Vance Bedford were here, I gave both guys a lot of credit as defensive coaches. Now, I'm not so sure. And the best reason why I don't think either guy will be returning anytime soon.

I wonder if the Alabama fans are so full of piss and vinegar about ex head coaches working on the same staff to bring championships. Would it be a bad thing if you had ex head coaches working under Bobby and Todd to make the kids we have everything they can be?

I believe Charlie working under Todd as an assistant would be like having Barak Obama as your speech writer. Charlie was not a bad recruiter either.

I wonder if the Alabama fans are so full of piss and vinegar about ex head coaches working on the same staff to bring championships. Would it be a bad thing if you had ex head coaches working under Bobby and Todd to make the kids we have everything they can be?

I believe Charlie working under Todd as an assistant would be like having Barak Obama as your speech writer. Charlie was not a bad recruiter either.

None of those former HC was the HC at Bama. Big difference.

Reactions: tkdcoach
  • Based on the performance of our defense when Charlie and Vance Bedford were here, I gave both guys a lot of credit as defensive coaches. Now, I'm not so sure. And the best reason why I don't think either guy will be returning anytime soon.

Remain sure. Great offensive players (Mike Williams and DeShaun Watson this year for example) will be able to score on even excellent defenses (Alabama 2015, Louisville 2016). In 2011, we won at West Virginia despite giving up 31 to their great offense. We lost at home in 2013 when our defense gave up 38 to an underrated QB who would go on to be the 4th pick in the 2014 NFL draft and start on day 1 for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The answer is not that Charlie and Vance are bad defensive coaches. It's that Oklahoma State, Cal, and Notre Dame have great offenses. All are currently ranked in the top 30 in the country in total and scoring offense. When they played UTEP, they gave up 7 points and 208 yards of total offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: KerryRhodes
The reality of his limits are that the Texas boosters are absolute morons who cannot wait until the end of year 3 to let Charlie finish rebuilding the program the right way - with great players who also have great character. That's their loss.

Mike Zimmer is a defensive coach, runs a conservative offense and relies on defense to win games, just like Charlie did while he was here. Zimmer beat Green Bay while winning the NFC North last year and is undefeated in the NFL this year with a QB starting who wasn't on the roster until a week before the season started. So don't attempt to tell me it cannot be done the way Charlie is attempting to do it.

I cannot disagree more strongly with your assessment of his shortcomings as our head football coach. The man won more games in consecutive seasons (23) than any coach in UofL history - that was no accident. And it wasn't simply Teddy Bridgewater - it was Charlie Strong crafting an offense that took advantage of Bridgewater's accuracy, high TD to INT ratio, and knowledge of the playbook and defenses. The offense valued first downs and time of possession as much as touchdowns, knowing that opponents would not be able to string together as many first downs in a row against our defense as Bridgewater could against theirs.

I watched Texas play since Strong arrived. The same problems that plagued us plague Texas.

Strong has shown one thing, consistency.

You read Texas message boards and watch the games and its like de javu. The same type of issues; special teams, defense in prevent, running game or lack there of, and some head scratcher on offensive play calling.

You can bring up a specific period of history as to rationale why you think he is a good coach. I was there and believed it at the time too. But it comes down to the "W's" and "L's" over time. A lot of coaches experience short term success, that's what keeps them employed.

I could go through a list of D1 coaches who everyone thought was good only to realize that they were no so good when they changed programs. Change exposes all, whether good or bad.

You mentioned Strong's strategy with Bridgewater. It worked here, but clearly it is not working now. This is what separates the average coaches from the great ones, the ability to adapt and change to the situation.

Upon arriving at Texas, Strong did the exact thing he did here. Was is it necessary? Apparently not given the results. He can't even match the guy he replaced.

Can he be a good coach? Only time will tell if he can be a good coach. But his record says otherwise as of now.

As for the boosters and calling them names, no need to do that. Strong could have easily shut them up with on the field results. I don't feel bad for HC given the money that they are paid. It comes with the territory.

Ponder this;

41-9 Petrino leaving begat kragdud. 3 years of miserable football.
Strong leaving opened up the return of Petrino. Cards looking at BcS bowl or even
playoffs.

Strong didnt nothing different here, than the other 3 didnt. Coach Schnellenberger,
John L, and 41-9 Petrino.

If you didnt enjoy Strong's 4 year turn around of the program, thats on you.
As of now, no bigger victory in program history than beating 1 loss Florida in
the Sugar bowl!

Reactions: beasleythecard
I think all this is really moot.

As much as I would like to have Charlie on staff as our DC, marrying the best defenses we've ever had at Louisville, with the best offenses we've ever had at Louisville, the chances it happens are slim and none, and slim is being generous.

You can't dispute the D's that Charlie put on the field here, starting day 1. Nor can you look back at the quality of recruiting classes he brought in, seeing how many went on to be drafted in the NFL, or make the NFL.

Time to stop beating this dead horse. And find something else to entertain ourselves with, over the bye week.

There are some compelling football games this week, including the traditional "Battle for the SEC East Cellar", Vandy at Kentucky. CSPAN2 might get better ratings, but don't sleep on this annual tradition. If you like punting, this is the game for you!!

I think all this is really moot.

As much as I would like to have Charlie on staff as our DC, marrying the best defenses we've ever had at Louisville, with the best offenses we've ever had at Louisville, the chances it happens are slim and none, and slim is being generous.

You can't dispute the D's that Charlie put on the field here, starting day 1. Nor can you look back at the quality of recruiting classes he brought in, seeing how many went on to be drafted in the NFL, or make the NFL.

Time to stop beating this dead horse. And find something else to entertain ourselves with, over the bye week.

There are some compelling football games this week, including the traditional "Battle for the SEC East Cellar", Vandy at Kentucky. CSPAN2 might get better ratings, but don't sleep on this annual tradition. If you like punting, this is the game for you!!

LPT Football: "pitiful, pitiful football."

I watched Texas play since Strong arrived. The same problems that plagued us plague Texas.

Strong has shown one thing, consistency.

You read Texas message boards and watch the games and its like de javu. The same type of issues; special teams, defense in prevent, running game or lack there of, and some head scratcher on offensive play calling.

You can bring up a specific period of history as to rationale why you think he is a good coach. I was there and believed it at the time too. But it comes down to the "W's" and "L's" over time. A lot of coaches experience short term success, that's what keeps them employed.

I could go through a list of D1 coaches who everyone thought was good only to realize that they were no so good when they changed programs. Change exposes all, whether good or bad.

You mentioned Strong's strategy with Bridgewater. It worked here, but clearly it is not working now. This is what separates the average coaches from the great ones, the ability to adapt and change to the situation.

Upon arriving at Texas, Strong did the exact thing he did here. Was is it necessary? Apparently not given the results. He can't even match the guy he replaced.

Can he be a good coach? Only time will tell if he can be a good coach. But his record says otherwise as of now.

As for the boosters and calling them names, no need to do that. Strong could have easily shut them up with on the field results. I don't feel bad for HC given the money that they are paid. It comes with the territory.

Yes!

I was on board with Strong at Texas until Oklahoma St when he had two weeks to demote Bedford and fix the defense. I was willing to forgive Cal and the losing record so far. But, as you stated, he tries to emulate what he did at Louisville, at Texas. He keeps doing the same thing over and over until he is forced to make a change. See Watson and Bedford. His initial hires are going to get him fired. In game coaching decisions are suspect at best. He does not adapt or change.

Everyone was rooting for him to succeed because he is a good man, has integrity and expects that from the kids as well. He just couldn't get the worm turned.

I feel like if he was given 10 years at Texas he would never reach the playoffs because of a surprise loss or two. He would probably win 10 games a few times but that's it. The thought of him conducting coaching searches for coordinators makes me shutter. Gilbert (OC) will be gone soon.

In short, he doesn't have HC aptitude for a big time program like Texas.

Charlie is not my choice for any coordinator position at Louisville. I cant imagine that he could keep his attitude in check as an underling in a program that he used to lead. The chemistry would be toxic. He should look into the Head coaching job at an SEC school like UK.. that would gaurantee our beatdowns of them would continue for many more years. This would not bother UL fans like Pitino coming to the Ville bothered UK fans....lol...have at him!

Nobody "earns" the right to be disrespectful. Still, CCS rescued the program after Krags. If TJ had missed on this hire, it would have set back the football program another decade, and likely no invite to the ACC. CCS delivered. Didn't much care for his exit, nor John L's, nor CBP I, but Charlie did a good job. He's welcome back here any time as a DC.

Nobody "earns" the right to be disrespectful. Still, CCS rescued the program after Krags. If TJ had missed on this hire, it would have set back the football program another decade, and likely no invite to the ACC. CCS delivered. Didn't much care for his exit, nor John L's, nor CBP I, but Charlie did a good job. He's welcome back here any time as a DC.
Disrespectul? Yes...I can be that ... do you let punks run over you? Life is too short. He punks my family... I punk him!

I think the point that many well meaning Cardinal fans miss here is that "We" are the sauce here. We are not great because we were lucky to get a great coach etc. I have been a transplant into KY since 1980 never caring about Organized sports.. Preferring to enjoy my own sporting action personally...that changed here .... There is something very special here in my community that I have just moved back to for the 4th time... to enjoy and retire in... We are going to overcome any coaching change because of who "We" are. I dont need to suck up to coaches that passed through on their way to something better..just in case we might need them later. "We" are on a collision course... with greatness!!! Peace Card fan

Reactions: beasleythecard
I wouldn't want him here either, just based off of his coaching abilities. I could see him being an assistant to the Defensive coordinator, not assistant coordinator though.

No Pushup, there is no performance that can justify that snarky departure. TJ gave Charlie a shot despite his being passed up for many years by so many other schools. I never had a problem with him taking the huge increase in money for Texas ............just the classless manner in which he left. He did not owe me or any fan anything, but he disrespected Tom and the players. A press conference simply saying good-bye and expressing appreciation for his time at UL would have resulted in a lot of good will.

Charlie will leave TX with a financial package that will eliminate his need for another job, but you can bet that his desire at his next stop will be significantly less now than it was when he arrived at UL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT