ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford 78 - Louisville 63

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
After a brilliant first half against the #1 seed in the Alamo Region, the University of Louisville women's basketball squad saw their season end.

The Stanford height and a key Stanford sub made the difference in the final 20 minutes, especially in the fourth quarter, where the Trees out-scored the Cards 30-13.

Dana Evans was brilliant for Louisville in the loss, with 24 points and six of eight three-point shooting, but, the Cardinal defense allowed 52 second-half points and 62.5% shooting in the final twenty minutes.

Stanford was up 68-60 with just over 3 minutes left when Kiana Williams hit a step-back 3 that sealed the victory. She finished with 14 points.

Lexie Hull scored 21 points for the Cardinal, while Ashten Prechtel came on in the second half and added 16 points on 6-6 shooting, 3-3 from three-point range, in just 15 minutes of action.

''What a great substitution that (Prechtel) was. She changed the entire game,'' head coach Jeff Walz said. ''Her 15 minutes, she's plus-27 on the plus-and-minus side. She won the game for them. ...She was remarkable there in the second half.''

Dana Evans was named to the Alamo Region All-Tournament Team after finishing with 24 points on 9-20 shooting from the floor and 6-8 from 3-point range. She is the only player in UofL history to win four regular season conference championships and she has the best winning percentage and fewest losses of any player in program history.

Kasa Robinson finished with seven points and eight rebounds, while Kianna Smith had eight points and seven rebounds.

Yes, a season ended too soon for UofL WBB fans, but a season where the Cards created a lot of excitement, joy, fond memories and went 26-4.

A huge "thank you" to Dana for the four years of joy, excitement, hard work, dedication and effort she gave the UofL WBB program. And, best wishes for a very long and successful WNBA career. We'll always remember you, Dana.

So, the Cards go home.

Poignant and touching -- as the squad gathered on the floor after the game, Jeff Walz instructed his student-athletes to turn and watch the celebration on the other end of the floor and them told them to remember that. He asked them if they wanted to be the ones celebrating this time next year and to strive for a situation next year where they were doing that.

Stanford advances to face South Carolina in the NCAA WBB Final Four and the winner of that contest will face the winner of UConn versus Arizona.

A fun season ended too soon, but the Cards return everyone except Dana. Who knows what twists and turns the transfer portal will bring, this is college's athletics version of free agency, but this will be a squad that will be long remembered for their fight, desire, effort and success during a global pandemic. They, and I, look forward to next season, in front of (hopefully) a loud and raucous crowd in the KFC YUM Center.

Thank you Jeff, thank you Sam, Steph, JP and Beth, and thank you student-athletes for the thrills you brought CardNation this season.

--sonja--

Just love the women’s game and this year was super fun given all the obstacles.
Moving on we have a heck of a team returning. If I added anything it would be another player at the 5 position. Specifically a player built like Shook that gives us that athleticism she had. Don’t get me wrong Cochran will be a heck of a player, but a Shook type player could give us another dimension to switch to when needed; like last night.

One dynamic addition to add greater presence in the paint takes this team deep into another run next year.
Ask and you shall receive. Sydni Schetnan, 6'5, four star, will hopefully be what we need next year.

Regarding last night, I can't help but think what Coach K said after UofL walloped Duke in the 2013 tournament. "They boom you." Stanford boomed us. They are a great team. With the pleasure of hindsight, I think the Elite 8 was likely the peak for this team. The Cards were very good, but watching the other top teams play, you could tell they weren't quite on their level. We'll all certainly miss Dana. She's one of the GOATs, but next year looks very promising.

Definitely need some added height for next year. How is the recruiting class looking ??

I'm aware of Sydni. Question is...will she be a viable option in year 1? Ramani is going into year 3, was a McD AA and see very little time. I'd love to have a 6'2-3" rebounder come in - transfer or GT. Need just a little more beef up front. I think Olivia is going to keep getting better and better. Liz may be at her peak (who knows) but she improved this year and gave a lot of quality minutes. Can she make another leap this Summer?

Next years class brings in:
Payton Verhulst 6’2” guard ranked 7th in the nation.
Sydni Schetnan 6’5” center 4* recruit who has some hops.
Alexia Mobley 6’3” forward another top recruit some big schools were after her.
We really need to work hard on 6’7”Kennedy Basham if Arizona I know she is only a junior this year but we need someone like her. That is the only thing keeping us from winning it all. We are good at guard like always we have some of the best in the country.

We really need to work hard on 6’7”Kennedy Basham if Arizona I know she is only a junior this year but we need someone like her. That is the only thing keeping us from winning it all. We are good at guard like always we have some of the best in the country.
Yep Kennedy Basham is the type player I’m talking about. Let’s hope we can stag her. But with AZ making it to the Final 4 and her being in their backyard it could be tough. Do you know whose recruiting her?

I'm aware of Sydni. Question is...will she be a viable option in year 1? Ramani is going into year 3, was a McD AA and see very little time. I'd love to have a 6'2-3" rebounder come in - transfer or GT. Need just a little more beef up front. I think Olivia is going to keep getting better and better. Liz may be at her peak (who knows) but she improved this year and gave a lot of quality minutes. Can she make another leap this Summer?

Ramani was not a McDonald’s AA, it she is definitely one that I think is ready for prime time.... I like how she plays snd she’s active.

I’m looking forward to next years team. This loss won’t sit well with them.

Mobley is 2022. That year we have her and 6’2” Nyla Harris being the other.

Ramani was not a McDonald’s AA, it she is definitely one that I think is ready for prime time.... I like how she plays snd she’s active.

I’m looking forward to next years team. This loss won’t sit well with them.
My bad. I know Green was a McD AA and I, for some reason, thought Parker was too. I see she was 3-star.

Reactions: FlavRunit
Kennedy Basham is being recruited by every top program in the country.
Here is a list of her top 6:
Louisville, Duke, Oregon, Arizona State, Arizona and UCLA. Her brother is a 7 footer who was also recruited by everyone and he left Arizona. Kennedy said that going away to college was not an issue she is just looking for the best fit for her. I was thinking the same thing regarding Arizona making the Final Four. In my opinion Arizona made it there because of who they ended up playing against not because of how good they are. I am hoping they get blown out which is a good chance of that happening.

If she wants to stay on the West coast we don’t stand much of a chance. If her a academics are a greater priority then Duke would lead. A blend of going away to college, a solid education, superior coaching and a superior team - then UofL is the best choice.

Reactions: vivid_red
I agree I really enjoyed watching them play and I look forward to next year. With Verhulst and Schetnan coming in that should add to the exciting style of play.

Reactions: Deeva
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT