ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium

DqhuAtvX0AAeyp9.jpg:large

You'll be able to hear every obscenity that gets shouted in the 2nd half because I would wager that about half of the 12,000 fans who did show up won't be back after half time.

Today's attendance and performance will speak volumes to Tyra.

Reactions: irishcat1965
It was emptier during krags last game but not by much. This is the fans version of an approval rating.

Someone said announced attendance today was 49K. The final home game in 2009 shows 23K. Both should be tickets sold...

Reactions: Bank Cat
Looks like UK-Vandy In 2012. A sea of empty seats, regardless of “announced” attendance, is difficult to ignore.
And the problem around here is we're not used to that even if basketball season is just around the corner.
Was the scanned ticket number ever released?
That number is never "released". You have to submit an open records request and hope U of L honors it...

The 49,500 shows you with a good team or team the fanbase backs the stadium would be 80 to 85 percent full. When you have a team that isn't competive it is 50 percent full. The magic question is what will season tickets sales be if Petrino is retained?

I think it is very likely the combined scores of the next 4 games is going to be in the neighborhood of 150-60. They won't score more then 14 points against Clemson or UK. The other two no more than 21. They could legitimately give up 40 points to Clemson, NC State and Syracuse. If that happens then UK will name their number even though they haven't scored more than 30 against any other power 5 team. The only way this doesn't happen is if Louisville makes sure they limit the other teams possessions.

I think it is very likely the combined scores of the next 4 games is going to be in the neighborhood of 150-60. They won't score more then 14 points against Clemson or UK. The other two no more than 21. They could legitimately give up 40 points to Clemson, NC State and Syracuse. If that happens then UK will name their number even though they haven't scored more than 30 against any other power 5 team. The only way this doesn't happen is if Louisville makes sure they limit the other teams possessions.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Petrino play possession football.

That dude trolls the UK board and now he's over here trolling you guys.
I don't think so. I joined rivals somewhere in 2006- 2007 and played at Kentucky. Troll doesn't happen in my world. You owe me an apology!

Last edited:
The 49,500 shows you with a good team or team the fanbase backs the stadium would be 80 to 85 percent full. When you have a team that isn't competive it is 50 percent full. The magic question is what will season tickets sales be if Petrino is retained?...
A respected guy on the premium side wagged season ticket sales at 35K next year if Petrino stays. As bad as that sounds, it's not really bad compared to the cost of paying Petrino's and Brohm's buyouts. My estimate is about $5 million vs. $16-18 million.

And most or all of that $5 million will be used to pay up on Brohm WRT Purdue. He's not coming here for nickels and dimes nor should he...

I have been to almost every home game for a long time, what I saw against GT and Wake was god awful football. I fear the last 4 games they could lose all of them by 24 to 30 points.

There is literally nothing to say they will be better next year. I say the season ticket number will be much lower with many people taking the wait and see approach. I fully expect them to lose by 20 plus to Notre Dame under this staff basically showing zero improvement. Which is what this staffs history is telling us is going to happen.

I tend to agree the money isn't going to be easy to figure out because you aren't going to see enough people come back and giving money even with Brohm. You can't Brohm I doubt any coach would move the needle enough. Very difficult spot for sure.

A respected guy on the premium side wagged season ticket sales at 35K next year if Petrino stays. As bad as that sounds, it's not really bad compared to the cost of paying Petrino's and Brohm's buyouts. My estimate is about $5 million vs. $16-18 million.

And most or all of that $5 million will be used to pay up on Brohm WRT Purdue. He's not coming here for nickels and dimes nor should he...
Once again, one of your beloved guys will get the ax and we will all get to hear daily about how Petrino should not have been fired. You'll be able to add another fired scum bag to your list of people that you can argue about. ;)

In all seriousness though Zipp, its not Brohm or bust for me. I provided a list of candidates in another thread and I think anyone of those guys could be a good face for the program. It is time to move on. Losing the way we are, having three son/son in laws as assistants, 3 DC in 3 years.....he has lost it here.

Once again, one of your beloved guys will get the ax and we will all get to hear daily about how Petrino should not have been fired. You'll be able to add another fired scum bag to your list of people that you can argue about. ;)

In all seriousness though Zipp, its not Brohm or bust for me. I provided a list of candidates in another thread and I think anyone of those guys could be a good face for the program. It is time to move on. Losing the way we are, having three son/son in laws as assistants, 3 DC in 3 years.....he has lost it here.
The financials suggest you might as well pay Brohm's buyout if you're paying Petrino's. It's "just" $4 million more.

I'm not convinced either that Jeff will be a big winner here, but he will for sure be the most popular hire. However, his contract is gonna cost close to 2X what a great coordinator or mid-major coach would cost...

The financials suggest you might as well pay Brohm's buyout if you're paying Petrino's. It's "just" $4 million more.

I'm not convinced either that Jeff will be a big winner here, but he will for sure be the most popular hire. However, his contract is gonna cost close to 2X what a great coordinator or mid-major coach would cost...
Petrino gets fired and you have to choose who UofL hires for their next football coach....who is at the top of your list. What are 3 names that you would go with?

Petrino gets fired and you have to choose who UofL hires for their next football coach....who is at the top of your list. What are 3 names that you would go with?
I don't follow other teams enough to answer that question intelligently. My forte is managing a business, the financials. If I was Tyra, I wouldn't trust my own judgment either. As much as fans and media hate this approach, Tyra should consider reaching to outsiders for advice.

I'm not sure you publicly form a committee, but the stakes are much higher for him in this hire than it was for Mack. Mack was actually a cost saving WRT Pitino, and there was only his Xavier buyout to justify. You could also attract a higher pool of talent to the basketball job. Dumping Petrino will cost much more, Brohm in the end would double that amount (incl. his new contract), and there aren't great coaches waiting to come to U of L. How Tyra handles this will be a huge feather in his cap or a mistake he'll never outlive as AD...

Football is definitely a more challenging hire due to the significant challenges in recruiting.

I think if recruiting was going really well currently for Louisville people would be more open to Petrino, but you just aren't seeing that even with all kinds of playing time available. The kid from Moore is exactly what Louisville needs on defense but they probably won't land him.

Louisville is a tough spot recruiting wise, job number 1 as AD is finding a head coach that is a good if not great recruiter or his people have great recruiting ties. A good coach can only go so far with average talent.

Football is definitely a more challenging hire due to the significant challenges in recruiting.

I think if recruiting was going really well currently for Louisville people would be more open to Petrino, but you just aren't seeing that even with all kinds of playing time available. The kid from Moore is exactly what Louisville needs on defense but they probably won't land him.

Louisville is a tough spot recruiting wise, job number 1 as AD is finding a head coach that is a good if not great recruiter or his people have great recruiting ties. A good coach can only go so far with average talent.
I think recruiting is a big part of Petrino's current problems, but not talent level. Our problems on the field are guys giving up and not playing smart. We don't know that the kids he has committed for 2019 aren't better in that regard. It's not a Rivals star rating issue...

I think recruiting is a big part of Petrino's current problems, but not talent level. Our problems on the field are guys giving up and not playing smart. We don't know that the kids he has committed for 2019 aren't better in that regard. It's not a Rivals star rating issue...
I completely agree - players “giving up and not playing smart” is not a talent issue.

It’s a coaching issue and there is no reason to believe that this group of coaches would be able to flip the switch with this group next year or, with the new group coming in.

Unless the talent is extraordinary, Jackson/Alexander, talent is really hard to find if it is poorly coached or unmotivated. It is safe to say their is no elite talent, maybe Becton, on this team. It is also safe to say this team is poorly coached and unmotivated making it impossible to tell how much talent is on the team.

The biggest problem with the team recruiting wise is the d-line and o-line. Too many misses, guys not ever showing up, not enough numbers over the past several years on d-line. Oline no development, misevaluated and relied too much on Juco's. Really just bad roster management which is a killer especially when games are won and lost in the trenches.

I completely agree - players “giving up and not playing smart” is not a talent issue.

It’s a coaching issue and there is no reason to believe that this group of coaches would be able to flip the switch with this group next year or, with the new group coming in.
I think it's deeper than that... I think too many of our guys read--past tense--their headlines, feel entitled (Lukayus McNeil tweet), and simply don't care. Lack of motivation is not purely a coaching issue.

How many unheralded O-linemen have come here, some under Petrino, and overachieved at a position that doesn't get much positive publicity? That's a mentality that this team lacks up and down the roster. And they were unheralded because they weren't perceived as having extraordinary talent.

IMO Petrino's talent at this point doesn't fit his coaching. It's not about the measurables...

I think it's deeper than that... I think too many of our guys read--past tense--their headlines, feel entitled (Lukayus McNeil tweet), and simply don't care. Lack of motivation is not purely a coaching issue.

How many unheralded O-linemen have come here, some under Petrino, and overachieved at a position that doesn't get much positive publicity? That's a mentality that this team lacks up and down the roster. And they were unheralded because they weren't perceived as having extraordinary talent.

IMO Petrino's talent at this point doesn't fit his coaching. It's not about the measurables...
So what im gathering from you is.....nothing is ever the coaches fault as long as they are Jurich's leftovers. Am I right?

ADVERTISEMENT