ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium construction photo...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
Here's a pic of the north endzone construction taken at the U2 concert last nite. There's quite a bit now going on north of the existing Schnellenberger building, but I didn't get a photo of that area which was closed off...

Photo%20%20U2%20concert_zpsjqoiec8z.jpg

Occurred to me that even without fans in that growing monstrosity, it will change the road game experience for fans and players of the opposing teams THIS year. It gives a lot more the feel of a "closed" stadium. Will be interesting how the acoustics/crowd noise are impacted with just the structure and even without fans.

Construction's got a long way to go, and there's a lot more of it on the other side of the Complex. But looking at that photo, it also occurred to me how far U of L athletics stretches a dollar... For half the money that LPT just spent to REDUCE capacity and spiff up its bench seats, U of L is building something state-of-the-art that just a portion of which dwarfed U2 and WITHOUT ten thousand fans hanging from it. And some people have the guts to question how effective investments are in athletics. If only our college administrators could be half that productive with the money they're put in charge of...

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen the "out front" construction and I am wondering if there is going to be a physical connection to the Trager Center so the players and staff could actually go over there without going outside. Or is it just going to be close enough for just a short walk. Just wondering.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: zipp and wilkie01
Yeah I've seen the "out front" construction and I am wondering if there is going to be a physical connection to the Trager Center...
Funny, I've thought about the same thing...

The issue is the driveway. Either with this project or a future one, they'd have to dig under it or build over it by my reckoning. I don't think they could simply cut that flow of traffic off.

Another option is to relocate the driveway around the west and north sides of Trager and the practice fields to access the west side of the stadium. They could leave the existing driveway in place for the football facilities only, but terminate it when it runs into the new part of the building.

I'll bet U of L folks are already thinking about this stuff...

Reactions: gocds
Funny, I've thought about the same thing...

The issue is the driveway. Either with this project or a future one, they'd have to dig under it or build over it by my reckoning. I don't think they could simply cut that flow of traffic off.

Another option is to relocate the driveway around the west and north sides of Trager and the practice fields to access the west side of the stadium. They could leave the existing driveway in place for the football facilities only, but terminate it when it runs into the new part of the building.

I'll bet U of L folks are already thinking about this stuff...
awesome stuff! thanks zipp!!

Here's a pic of the north endzone construction taken at the U2 concert last nite. There's quite a bit now going on north of the existing Schnellenberger building, but I didn't get a photo of that area which was closed off...

Great concert! I was GA and on the field, right by Larry's drum kit for the opening 4 songs when the band was out on the "tree" stage. We were so close we could read Larry's teleprompter....it was so cool. We could hear Larry's drums mechanically about a half-second before they went through the PA. I had not been back to the Motherland since 2007, it was a great homecoming.

We actually met Bono coming into the stadium. He was complaining about his throat, and mentioned that he was "headed to the steam room." Very gracious gentleman.

That 747 that buzzed the stadium during the opening of Streets was insane! Great footage of that on yinztube.

Thanks for that photo. From the perspective of the field, you'd never know that all that construction was taking place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT