ADVERTISEMENT

Special set of Cards

cards_win

800+
Apr 6, 2006
I just posted this on the premium site, but will repeat it here:

Just can't keep this University of Louisville Cardinal team down, (11) wins in a row now. This afternoon came back from an early 4 to 1 deficit to win 9 to 4. The Cards were uncharacteristically sloppy in the field in the first two innings which led to the four Irish runs. Terribly windy in South Bend for the entire series which did cause some issues with both teams. Brendan McKay went 4 for 4 today with a 2-run homer and two doubles. There were twenty-plus scouts in the stands Friday evening to watch him pitch the one hitter through eight innings. Freshman Nick Bennett started today's game and was lifted after giving up 4 runs in 1 2/3 innings (bad defense shook him up, I think). The relievers held Notre Dame scoreless for the rest of the game. There was a good contingent of U of L fans at the game, nice to see fans travel well supporting this team. Junior catcher Colby Fitch added a home run to go along with a couple of big hits, a sac fly and four RBI's. Love to see Colby's bat picking up, he's been in a bad slump for some time now.

With the Clemson series coming up this weekend, I watched the Tigers yesterday on ESPN Streaming Live.. Their catcher Williams (leading them in home runs and RBI's) evidently hurt his throwing shoulder or elbow while being picked off first base. He tried to catch the next inning, but after receiving one pitch he could barely get the ball back to the pitcher. He was removed from the game at that time. I don't know how serious the injury is or if he is playing today. The Car have a four game lead over Clemson in the Atlantic division with (6) ACC games to play. Hate to see anyone injured, but Louisville would definitely benefit with Williams out of the line-up.

With a sweep of their final six ACC games, (three at Clemson, three here against Florida State) Louisville would break their own record of most wins in regular season play in ACC history. Pretty damned good for a program that has been in the league for only three years! First thing first; Vanderbilt is at Jim Patterson Tuesday. It would be great to see a lot of Cardinal fans there to watch this squad.

I really do believe this is a special team; they just find ways to win even when not at their best, refuses to lose. I was looking at stats show late in today's game. The Cardinals lead or are at the top of the league in pitching, defense, hitting, home runs, runs scored, etc. It always takes some luck to win a national championship, but the University of Louisville baseball team certainly looks the part!

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!

I definitely think the lineup change was overdue but how do you argue with success. I think moving Hairston to the 2 spot and moving Fitch down some will really benefit Colby. As you said he's been in a slump. I think this makes our lineup more top heavy but I have always believe you put your best hitters first because they get more opportunities. If we can get Stowers to get going again I think we have a more consistent offense.

Reactions: zipp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT