ADVERTISEMENT

Sounding like Tyra low balled him.

Question is can Vince overcome that? I think this is why Vince is the right person for the AD job at this time. We’ve come to far to buckle now!

The board would have to approve the conttact right, so Tyra has bosses who could kill the deal.

Hopefully Tyra, the boosters and donors and actually fans can convince them although its a high price, the money generated by a Brohm led football team would soon have the AD budget back in the black and is well worth it.

Brohm hasnt been hired yet and Cards Nation is abuzz.

Last edited:
Well, the negotiation has to end soon, because of recruiting. So the announce of who are coach will be made very soon. I still think it is going to be Brohm.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
The board would have to approve the conttact right, so Tyra has bosses who could kill the deal.

Hopefully Tyra, the boosters and donors and actually fans can convince them although its a high price, the money generated by a Brohm led football team would soon have the AD budget back in the black and is well worth it.

I sense that Tyra knows what is fair and reasonable to get a hot name like JB. I am also aware that he doesnt independently have the final say and the BOT will have to approve the contract. If that group refuses to pony up and tries to chase another name in the 2-3 million $ range, thus leaving Tyra unable to perform his job as he sees fit- I would fully expect Tyra to step down. No sense being in the position and not being able to do your job as you know to be fit. He seems to have his finger on the pulse of the fanbase- as i genuinely feel that he is a fan 1st himself- and knows how important this hire is for the future of the university, the Athletic department, and to a lesser extent, himself.

I sense that Tyra knows what is fair and reasonable to get a hot name like JB. I am also aware that he doesnt independently have the final say and the BOT will have to approve the contract. If that group refuses to pony up and tries to chase another name in the 2-3 million $ range, thus leaving Tyra unable to perform his job as he sees fit- I would fully expect Tyra to step down. No sense being in the position and not being able to do your job as you know to be fit. He seems to have his finger on the pulse of the fanbase- as i genuinely feel that he is a fan 1st himself- and knows how important this hire is for the future of the university, the Athletic department, and to a lesser extent, himself.

From what I’ve been told about Vince this is a take I could see playing out if he gets railroaded on the deal. And if that occurs I will take that as Grissom and his band of idiots got what they wanted. So you can just fill the stadium up with concrete because it will be worthless.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
If they say anything they'll either say he wasn't that great anyway or that we overpaid for him.

Im at work and a SuCkS fan told me Neal brown would be a better hire than Brohm.
I told him he is stupid.

That’s true if your a SuCk fan it would be a better hire (From their prospective). Brohm scares them. With Brown it would be like sleeping with the enemy.

The problem is Kerry for the longest time the academic side was funding your overspending by the athletic department.
What "overspending"? The ULAA pays the University $30 million annually in scholarship money that doesn't get accounted for.
The fact that UL is having to pay Bobby Petrino $14 million dollars to fire him is absolutely criminal. Why Jurich gave him that buyout is total incompetence. There was absolutely zero competition for BP.
Petrino's buyout was midrange in the ACC, equal to Mack's, and less than Brohm's. Not that facts probably matter to you...

...If the academic side had their way, theyd do away with sports.

Idiots.
The academics must not have heard you guaranteed Brohm to Louisville.
...Hopefully Tyra, the boosters and donors and actually fans can convince them although its a high price, the money generated by a Brohm led football team would soon have the AD budget back in the black...
IOW you want them to lie...

"Vince" could help himself if he could raise twenty dollars or so from donors outside of athletics. Or maybe keep fans from leaving in droves.

He has no one to blame but himself for not having enough money...

Uhhhhh wasn't it Bevin and a board of regents full of Uk fans/grads(on our own board no less, makes sense right?) that have tried to downplay and write off UofL athletics for years????? Yea, pretty sure it WAS a yats fan, more than one actually. Still not sold on our cayut AD as well either......
EXACTLY.

The movement to downplay Athletics at UofL is 5 to 6 years old.
Maybe longer. Probably a cayuts fan or fans who started the movement.

What "overspending"? The ULAA pays the University $30 million annually in scholarship money that doesn't get accounted for.

Petrino's buyout was midrange in the ACC, equal to Mack's, and less than Brohm's. Not that facts probably matter to you...

You are missing the point, he didn't need a buyout. No one was hiring BP from WKU, UL deserved more protection because no one was poaching BP from UL once he got here. That contract provided on protection for UL and of course BP made out like a bandit.

You are missing the point, he didn't need a buyout. No one was hiring BP from WKU, UL deserved more protection because no one was poaching BP from UL once he got here. That contract provided on protection for UL and of course BP made out like a bandit.
I'm not missing any point... Find me another coach of Petrino's stature when his last contract was signed who had no buyout. There aren't any.

Petrino's buyout was average...

The academics must not have heard you guaranteed Brohm to Louisville.

IOW you want them to lie...
How do you know it would be a lie, since you don’t know what affect Brohm would have on revenue if he were to come?

Uhhhhh wasn't it Bevin and a board of regents full of Uk fans/grads(on our own board no less, makes sense right?) that have tried to downplay and write off UofL athletics for years????? Yea, pretty sure it WAS a yats fan, more than one actually. Still not sold on our cayut AD as well either......
I don’t think they really care about athletics, or academics, for that matter. These people are petty, vindictive, greedy people who got rubbed the wrong way by the UofL foundation under Ramsey’s leadership and disliked Tom for various reasons. It was a carefully crafted stepwise coup detat that only needed a spark to ignite it. Pitino handed it to them on a silver platter.

KR I must say you are all in on this - no hesitation, no equivocation. If Brohm doesn’t come, you are going to look silly. But I admire your guts.

Why would i look silly.

Brohm was destined to be Head Coach here.
It wasnt supposed to be in 2018.

If Petrino was competent, Brohm would be coming 4 yrs down the road or so.

Reactions: Nieman
How many Louisville radio host tweet ANYTHING about SuCkS ?

How many plant moles or snoop around for dirt and info at Lexghanistan?

NONE............
Lexghaniatan said none on Tupac kERRY rHODES except for Sparky Anderson of the aforementioned world champion Tigers. Not TOO be confused with Cards or Boils.

How do you know it would be a lie, since you don’t know what affect Brohm would have on revenue if he were to come?
We averaged around 49K for the home games this year. So the best we could do is another 10K if we sold the stadium out every game. That's maybe $300-400K in potential revenue per game, or around $2 million for the season. Brohm's salary increase alone will consume half of that.

No chance Brohm will have a material effect on revenue for the department overall vs. this year...

We averaged around 49K for the home games this year. So the best we could do is another 10K if we sold the stadium out every game. That's maybe $300-400K in potential revenue per game, or around $2 million for the season. Brohm's salary increase alone will consume half of that.

No chance Brohm will have a material effect on revenue for the department overall vs. this year...
Wait, I’m not a math wizz but if Brohm’s salary consumes half of the $2 million increase, doesn’t that still leave us with an extra $1 million? And, have you factored in the effect this could have on donor contributions? Then let’s look at what would happen if we don’t get Brohm and half of the fan base checks out.

Wait, I’m not a math wizz but if Brohm’s salary consumes half of the $2 million increase, doesn’t that still leave us with an extra $1 million? And, have you factored in the effect this could have on donor contributions? Then let’s look at what would happen if we don’t get Brohm and half of the fan base checks out.
I'll be glad to get into the weeds on this issue...

First, the remark I responded to above was "back in the black." The FY2018 financials just reported today showed our net position declined $16.6 million, which is how much our expenses exceeded revenues for the year ending 6-30-2018.

$1 million net from a Brohm hire pales in comparison to how much money athletics lost last year. And that's not factoring the attrition we could experience in football later this fiscal year, nor the attrition we are experiencing in basketball. Tyra presented an early 2019 snapshot at a financial review last month that was well short of budget, by millions more.

Brohm's hire may reduce additional losses in football, but no chance it would have the effect by itself of putting us "back in the black"...

Hard to get back in Black in one year (unless you’re AC/DC). But you are still not addressing the bump in donors or how worse things could be with option B, C or D. Not sure what you’re suggesting here, go with option D, lose even more money and watch the program die on the vine. Oh, on your projected basketball decline...did you happen to catch tonight’s game? More of this and the decline, if any, will be minimal? Look, Momma always said if you can’t say something nice, just don’t say anything at all.

Hard to get back in Black in one year (unless you’re AC/DC). But you are still not addressing the bump in donors or how worse things could be with option B, C or D. Not sure what you’re suggesting here, go with option D, lose even more money and watch the program die on the vine. Oh, on your projected basketball decline...did you happen to catch tonight’s game? More of this and the decline, if any, will be minimal? Look, Momma always said if you can’t say something nice, just don’t say anything at all.
I wasn't making any broader statements on the coaching hire. In all honesty, we're screwed either way financially.

If we try to save money hiring a lesser coach, fans won't support the guy like they will Brohm. And if you hire Brohm, you're paying thru the nose. It's not Brohm's job to put out this financial dumpster fire nor should anyone expect that in large part...

I wasn't making any broader statements on the coaching hire. In all honesty, we're screwed either way financially.

If we try to save money hiring a lesser coach, fans won't support the guy like they will Brohm. And if you hire Brohm, you're paying thru the nose. It's not Brohm's job to put out this financial dumpster fire nor should anyone expect that in large part...
So, your best estimate, in two years, are we better off financially if we hire Brohm or go with less money for coach B.

So, your best estimate, in two years, are we better off financially if we hire Brohm or go with less money for coach B.
Unless Brohm is capable of winning a conference title here--and there's no indication that's certain--I don't know if it matters.

Brohm would have to attract a lot more money to the football program. And it would have to be secured by people in fund raising who have no experience doing that. In Saban-like fashion, Brohm would have to do all of that heavy lifting by himself.

That's an unfair and unreasonable expectation of him...

I'm not missing any point... Find me another coach of Petrino's stature when his last contract was signed who had no buyout. There aren't any.

Petrino's buyout was average...
North Carolina just paid their coach $12 million to leave. They went with Brown because they could get him pretty cheap and he is a good coach. It is the nature of the beast.

The biggest issue with the extension was Jurich had to know it was fools gold. Hell he had to go get Grantham, because Petrino didn't have any options. Then again I am not sure when the extension was actually done in 2016.

Are you guys factoring any money when the ACC network starts next year? Understand, UL had to invest $$$ from an infrastructure perspective, but seems within 2-3 years, that is incremental $$ that didn't previously exist.

Also, who is to say what donors/boosters jump on board if Mack and our next football get everything back on track sooner rather later. Too many factors to say 2, 3, or 5 years or if/when we are once again the most profitable athletic program in the nation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT