ADVERTISEMENT

Someone with knowledge

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
Could somebody with more knowledge than me post an article on the site about Payton Verhulst. It is a good article and gives a good insight to the type of person and player we are getting in Payton. Google, Miege basketball player leaves her mark on the game. Thanks

Thanks for posting the article I thought it was such a good article about one of our incoming recruits. Notice the picture of her rebounding look how far she is off the court. I have seen videos of her playing she actually jumps when she rebounds and blocks shots.

That is the difference in the women's game. Jumping. The women who jump on their shots and rebounds are the best players. Both of Louisville's post players, Cochran and Dixon barely get off the ground, especially when shooting around the basket.

The best Cards player in recent memory at jumping was Jaz Jones. If she would have been 6'3 she would have been a top draft pick.

Reactions: Guardman
Also notice in that pho that Verhulst is the only one jumping for the rebound. The other 3 players are standing flat footed with their arms stretched out. If I was coach Walz I would start having jumping drills for the team. HVL and Mykasa 2 guards that are 5’7” are two of the top rebounders on the team because they jump.

That is the difference in the women's game. Jumping. The women who jump on their shots and rebounds are the best players. Both of Louisville's post players, Cochran and Dixon barely get off the ground, especially when shooting around the basket.

The best Cards player in recent memory at jumping was Jaz Jones. If she would have been 6'3 she would have been a top draft pick.
Great observation Real. You are 110% correct !

Flav, I went and checked out Alexia and she is very impressive player. She was in attendance when Louisville played UConn and she like most recruits was really impressed with our fan base. A lot of the other colleges were disappointed she committed so early. While I was checking her out I was on a site that was all about Louisville athletics. There was video clip of HVL already working out, her workout routine is non stop and very impressive.

Reactions: FlavRunit
Hailey Van Lith is one of the hardest working, dedicated student-athletes to ever don a UofL WBB jersey. Alexis Mobley can jump out of the gym. There is speculation she may enroll early at UofL, to further bolster the WSBB front line. Let's not forget about dual-sport phenom Sydni Schetnan, headed to campus this summer. Payton Verhurst could come in and earna starting role and see significant minutes as a freshman. You're going to love what Emily Engstler and Chelsie Hall bring to the 2021-22 squad.

And, look who is returning! Kasa Robinson, Liz Dixon, Olivia Cochran, Norika Konno, Ahlana Smith, Kianna Smith, Ramani Parker and Merissah Russell.

Four starters, in K.Smith, Cochran, Van Lith and Robinson. A deep bench and very talented newcomers. Jeff Walz is sitting on a powder keg.

Yes, Dana Evans will be missed. Just like Asia, Angel, Shoni, Jude, Myisha, Jaz, Kylee, Cortnee and Arica were missed after their invaluable contributions to Cardinals WBB. . Players graduate and that's life, Others step up. It's all part of the process.

I can't wait for the 2021-22 season.

--sonja--

I don’t see Payton starting next year but she is quite impressive. I’m thinking he wants to play big next season but who knows. I really want to see Ramani get in the court, I like her energy and assertiveness. We have soooo many options, hopefully we can be an attack from multiple positions. I really think we suffered with Asia and Dana by not focusing on getting others involved throughout the early parts of games creating more options for when shots were not falling. I’m hoping Hailey stays committed to being an all around player while being assertive and taking over the game when need be. We have soooo many weapons, they just need to be deployed right. Coach will find the right mix..

Reactions: mwatson61
I could see Payton cracking the starting lineup at some point. She is a very talented 6’2” guard who JUMPS she is a good rebounder and shot blocker at her guard position. I like what I read about Mobley she averaged 18 points and 20 rebounds a game. She said she loves rebounding and she is also a JUMPER. With HVL, Mykasa, Engstler, Verhulst, Schetnan, Mobley, etc. we are going to be a great rebounding team.
Flav, I agree with you instead of putting too much focus on an individual player let’s work as a unit. Hailey did great last year being a team player but like you said in crunch time and we need a clutch player she could be the go to player. Really looking forward to next season and with this group I can see our regular attendance increasing.

It must be nice for Coach Walz to have soooo many options with the line up. And also, imagine how hard these girls are going to work this off season knowing, you had the National Champions down 12 at the half. Snd also knowing how they rise to the occasion snd the level of cohesion and efficiency it’s going to take to rise to that level. That game will change the motivation for all that okayed in that game. I can’t wait...

Reactions: PHCARD
Let’s be real. The team was pretty deep this year and coach had (and utilized) many options. While it would have been nice to have a bit more size...rebounding woes (IMO) were generally due to break downs in technique and hustle. I think the next squad, while having more size, will be better on the boards because I think it will be a focus item for all the forwards and centers. Emily and Payton may be carbon copies of one another (initially) - I think Payton has a pretty high ceiling. I also believe with full off-season to work with Olivia...she very well could be a total beast next year.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
We need Liz Dixon to go into Beast Mode next year.
She certainly improved this season. If she can make another jump she will be very tough. It would make it easier to play her at the 5 and Olivia at the 4.

We could use a shot blocker. Payton is not flashy but solid fundamentally. We don’t have a player quite like her on the roster. I’m curious to see how the minutes break out, and I’m surprised we didn’t have one more transfer out considering the log jam in minutes at the 2 and 3 spot.

Sounds like Emily can block/alter shots. Sydni is a shot blocker and may earn time just for that skillset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT