ADVERTISEMENT

Someone who will stay and build the Program?

gage

No-Ranking Prospect
May 29, 2001
Brian Brohm a louisville guy with coaching experience and a football pedigree. 35 years old and life long local guy who would love the program like we do.

Brian Brohm a louisville guy with coaching experience and a football pedigree. 35 years old and life long local guy who would love the program like we do.
If he loved us, he would’ve came in 2018. Time and situation was right. He didn’t come. I don’t hate him for it, but the time has passed.

That’s gonna take a lot of money for a coach who isn’t doing too well himself at Purdue. Plus, his record isn’t great, would he come take over an obvious rebuilding dumpster fire?

Boo to the Brohms. There’s a serious question of how good Jeff is. Ask our friends in West Lafayette

If he loved us, he would’ve came in 2018. Time and situation was right. He didn’t come. I don’t hate him for it, but the time has passed.

That’s gonna take a lot of money for a coach who isn’t doing too well himself at Purdue. Plus, his record isn’t great, would he come take over an obvious rebuilding dumpster fire?
The OP said Brian, not Jeff. I would be ok with Brian. Or bring in Stephan Lefores ( ex QB from Louisiana ).

None of which indicates if he can be a successful HC. Also, Purdue is currently getting curb stomped by a bad Nebraska team at home.

Last edited:
How about Trinity’s coach?
Do you remember Notre Dames experiment with a HS coach?

Hell, our fans think an FBS/Sun Belt/CUSA type coach is beneath us.

The love affair with VT and Nellie would come to a screeching halt. 🤣

Do you remember Notre Dames experiment with a HS coach?

Hell, our fans think an FBS/Sun Belt/CUSA type coach is beneath us.

The love affair with VT and Nellie would come to a screeching halt. 🤣
Ah! Gerry Faust. Hired mostly because he was a devout catholic. Great HS coach, nice guy, total failure as a head man at the college level

He said Brian. Jeff turned us down.

I'd argue that this program needs to be REbuilt more than built. That's a big difference.

I also think the coach is the wrong or lesser focus. Most coaches are hired guns with little or no true loyalty. And why should they have that loyalty when a school and its fans will cut them off at the knees in as little as two years? It's pay for performance and get the job done or get out of here.

Your AD is the guy to build and grow your sports programs. And that's because the task goes way beyond coaching...

I'd argue that this program needs to be REbuilt more than built. That's a big difference.

I also think the coach is the wrong or lesser focus. Most coaches are hired guns with little or no true loyalty. And why should they have that loyalty when a school and its fans will cut them off at the knees in as little as two years? It's pay for performance and get the job done or get out of here.

Your AD is the guy to build and grow your sports programs. And that's because the task goes way beyond coaching...
Nailed it!

Everyone knows that neither Alabama or Clemson sit atop the collegiate landscape because of those insignificant people named Saban and Swinney. It’s the AD’s I tell you! Which is why both those schools are so incredible at all those other sports.

Oops.

More than most - this post succinctly exposes who you are.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
...Saban and Swinney...

More than most - this post succinctly exposes who you are.
At least I understand relevance and context.

Your AD has no shot at anyone close to those guys--which makes the job he does that much more important. For $10 mil or so, even you could attract a good coach to Bama or Clemson...

Reactions: RomanOben

Your AD has no shot at anyone close to those guys--which makes the job he does that much more important. For $10 mil or so, even you could attract a good coach to Bama or Clemson...
Umm - as long as we’re playing that card - your AD - the man whose face adorns most of your leisure wear, and the unquestioned yet unrequited, love of your life - couldn’t attract either of those guys even if he had 10M.

Umm - as long as we’re playing that card - your AD - the man whose face adorns most of your leisure wear, and the unquestioned yet unrequited, love of your life - couldn’t attract either of those guys even if he had 10M.
Since you're wandering further OT...

Jurich's record at attracting successful coaches within U of L's reach, among his many accomplishments, stands on its own. It doesn't need my defense nor are you able to argue against his body of work.

And besides knocking down big money, what exactly have "Vince's" coaches accomplished?...

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Back to topic. Football is just different than other sports. You can legitimately compete for titles in all the other sports. As long as they are supported they can compete. When schools come calling why leave to rebuild another program. Football is a different animal.

Schools like Louisville can’t legitimately compete for titles in football. Coaches leave only to find out the other schools have their own set of challenges. That is why they are hired guns and will always be hired guns.

Brohm made a mistake not Tyra. I think we can all see that now. Purdue is a much more challenging job than Louisville.

Since you're wandering further OT...

Jurich's record at attracting successful coaches within U of L's reach, among his many accomplishments, stands on its own. It doesn't need my defense nor are you able to argue against his body of work.

And besides knocking down big money, what exactly have "Vince's" coaches accomplished?...
Lol - the topic was about a HC that would stay at UofL long enough to build the program to a level most of us believe it could achieve. You strayed from that line with your never ending need to cast aspersions on Tyra.

To answer your question - most importantly Tyra’s coaches have accomplished operating within the rules of the ncaa and not subjecting the university to ridicule and penalties like his predecessor’s coaches did.

I have an observation that may or may not have relevance to our situation. Let’s look at a school down the road. No, not that school! Let’s look at WKU. They haven’t been a FBS school very long and they have had what 3 or 4 different coaches recently? Yet I heard they have accepted a bowl game this year making it something like 6 out of the last 7 years? I know most feel like we are way above WKU in terms of football but to me that says winning is sustainable if you make good hires.

You guys are being way too precious about your coaches. Root for a winner that bigger programs want and enjoy the wins. You don't need a guy who grew up playing on the swings at Mike Linig's and eating Meat Eater's Specials at Bonnie & Clyde's Pizza, you need a guy who will win games. Lie to me, build a program until you leave. Charlie did this, arguably got us in the ACC, and left BP stacked for 2 full seasons. That's building a program! If Satterfield wins and gets us to a NY6 Bowl and is on a plane giving the Hook'em Horns the next day, thank him for the wins and the good times and start rooting for the new guy when he arrives.

Last edited:
I just read on cardchronicle that Louisville signed 21 players and the class ranks 23rd nationally. The only player that did not sign was T-WIll's son, who is a 4-star. If he signs, I assume the class will go a spot or two higher. Now all of these guys have to make it to campus, but this is the highest ranked class in Louisville history. THis is why you want Satterfield to stay, not move on or get pushed out the door.

Reactions: GoldCard
I just read on cardchronicle that Louisville signed 21 players and the class ranks 23rd nationally. The only player that did not sign was T-WIll's son, who is a 4-star. If he signs, I assume the class will go a spot or two higher. Now all of these guys have to make it to campus, but this is the highest ranked class in Louisville history. THis is why you want Satterfield to stay, not move on or get pushed out the door.
I think currently it includes him in the rankings because he’s committed. If he goes Juco, he’ll be taken out of the rankings.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
OK, but my point remains.
We are currently at #25. He's a 5.8.

We have 1530 total points, if we subtract Williams is gets us down to 1425. We'd be tied with Vanderbilt at #29. Considering there are a few programs behind us that will get a few more recruits, I'd say we'd fall no lower than #35ish.

So yes, it's going to be a pretty good class. Big numbers for good depth. A lot of guys with P5 offers. Just what we need to re-stock the program. Might take another year, but if Satt hangs around we'll be in good shape and have a balanced roster again.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
No one is suggesting that Satterfield go anywhere after two years. That doesn't keep people like me from engaging in fact based analysis.

The 2021 class per Rivals is averaging just shy of three stars. That's in line with how we've been recruiting the last 5-10 years. It's certainly good enough talent to show results with...

Just thinking some more about program building, and what Charlie accomplished. That man left a roster so stacked defensively that BP 2.0 inherited an Top 5 defense the following year and a (IIRC) Top 25 defense the following year....and that was a coach that didn't really emphasize defense. Football drives the bus the program under Charlie got us into the ACC just as he handed the baton to BP. Charlie kept his discussions quiet until it was "out" and the last class held for the most part. A strong family culture that held for a couple of years....Charlie was the man and we should be thankful for what he did.

Reactions: GoldCard
I am not trying to be negative towards Satterfield. I want him to succeed tremendously as U of L football will as well. The issue as I see with recruiting is this. We say it is in line with how we have been able to recruit in recent years. So what’s the difference? The ability of the HC. We knew or thought we knew that BP was an offensive genius. Charlie Strong was reputed as a strong defensive coach. I can’t honestly say what CSS’s strength is. Play calling and game management has been questionable at times. Being a player’s coach doesn’t always translate into wins on the field.

I am not trying to be negative towards Satterfield. I want him to succeed tremendously as U of L football will as well. The issue as I see with recruiting is this. We say it is in line with how we have been able to recruit in recent years. So what’s the difference? The ability of the HC. We knew or thought we knew that BP was an offensive genius. Charlie Strong was reputed as a strong defensive coach. I can’t honestly say what CSS’s strength is. Play calling and game management has been questionable at times. Being a player’s coach doesn’t always translate into wins on the field.

His strength last year was being a players coach. There was only one way to get that BP group of players to buy in and accomplish what they did last year. CSS spoke the truth when he said these guys needed to be loved on after what they had been through.

So what happened with the team and coaching style in '20? So many things happened that took the young men and all the coaches off their game and dreams for a good follow up season to '19. But one thing we as fans didn't accept in '20.....our lives were highly disrupted in ways that each of us was effected so differently, but we didn't expect our team to be effected by the cluster muck.

2020 sucked and I'm throwing it out the window.

Reactions: BPGhost

Why didn’t Jurich hire Dabo when he was an unknown position coach? He had a shot at him then. It is possible to hire the right guy without $10mm. Keeping him is the challenge. How did Jurich do at that?

His strength last year was being a players coach. There was only one way to get that BP group of players to buy in and accomplish what they did last year. CSS spoke the truth when he said these guys needed to be loved on after what they had been through.

So what happened with the team and coaching style in '20? So many things happened that took the young men and all the coaches off their game and dreams for a good follow up season to '19. But one thing we as fans didn't accept in '20.....our lives were highly disrupted in ways that each of us was effected so differently, but we didn't expect our team to be effected by the cluster muck.

2020 sucked and I'm throwing it out the window.
Everybody dealt with those issues. Remember, we won a lot of very close games in 2019. We lost as many in 2020. An untimely penalty here, a fumble there, that was the difference. The defense improved some, and the offense was better, even though the record was down I think we are overall headed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardman
Why didn’t Jurich hire Dabo when he was an unknown position coach? He had a shot at him then. It is possible to hire the right guy without $10mm. Keeping him is the challenge. How did Jurich do at that?

The Louisville job opens every 4 years generally for one reason or another, has for decades. Had Dabo come and had been successful, he would have likely been snatched up. My guess is the Cards look better next year and look great in Year 4, and he's likely gone after that based on what he said in his presser. Until something in the data changes, it just is what it is (kind of like losing to UK every year unless we win the national title).

Mostly right. The coach is not quite the "wrong" focus. The AD is at least equally important.

Do you think Dabo would have stayed here after tasting success? Rhetorical question of course.

No, Clemson didn’t have much since 1980 (I think that was the NC season). But they have one thing we don’t.

They are 2-8 hours closer to fertile recruiting grounds. That matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT