ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting "Star" recruiting stats

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Full disclosure...complete stolen from Howie Lindsey on twitter:

4/5-star recruits over the past 5 years…
Texas - 60
Louisville - 16

Record over the past 5 years...
Texas - 31-32
Louisville - 46-19

NFL Draft picks past 5 years...
Texas - 11
Louisville - 21

4/5-star football recruits over the past 5 years...

Louisville - 16
Kentucky - 24

Record over the past 5 years...

Louisville 46-19
Kentucky 26-36

UofL vs UofK

UL: 4 - 1

NFL Draft picks past 5 years...

Louisville - 21
Kentucky - 4

Clearly, it's not always who you get, but what you do with who you get.

I think Football is one of the hardest sports to evaluate players. Because there are so few games and its a big jump in terms of physicality and mental toughness as you go to the next level. There are a lot of guys out there that look like Tarzan but play like Jane.

Reactions: Cue Card
I think Football is one of the hardest sports to evaluate players. Because there are so few games and its a big jump in terms of physicality and mental toughness as you go to the next level. There are a lot of guys out there that look like Tarzan but play like Jane.
I agree with that, plus I would add the most important key to building a successful program is to redshirt as many true frosh as possible.

I would attribute much of this to where we get most of our top recruits from. While Texas has a lot of good high school talent, I will generally take players from Florida, Georgia and Alabama all day long over Texas. A lot of the 3 and 4 star players Strong got out of Florida, many of which were drafted by NFL teams, would have been 5 star players in other states.

Reactions: Cue Card
I would attribute much of this to where we get most of our top recruits from. While Texas has a lot of good high school talent, I will generally take players from Florida, Georgia and Alabama all day long over Texas. A lot of the 3 and 4 star players Strong got out of Florida, many of which were drafted by NFL teams, would have been 5 star players in other states.
Excellent point which helps explain why a so called 5 star like Elam ends up with 2 star results. The state of Kentucky will never match the talent level of Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, or Alabama.

I don't like to cherry pick details and facts. I don't care about any micro scenarios or any five star who stunk or any two star who is an NFL all pro. I don't care about any program who has tons of two and three stars that is top twenty or a team loaded with fours and fives that is struggling.

There are way too many players, way too many good coaches, average coaches and subpar coaches to evaluate in the micro. This is a MACRO topic dealt with best in grand overall trends and probabilities.

Texas is struggling. Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Penn St. etc. are not struggling. For every team that has a lot of three stars and is successful I can find twenty that suck.

Micro scenarios aren't a good measure. This has to be viewed from the macro, looking at everything. There are way too many teams and coaches and players to get caught up in any one team or any small cluster of players.

You look at the overall macro and then you find probabilities. No sure things only probabilities. The overall probabilities is that with similar coaching the team with more highly rated players overall tend to be better and deeper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT