KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
Given up 31 points

200 yds in the air

166 on the ground.

9:22 left.

Mst down 31-3.

Petrino made the right decision letting Grantham go.

Reactions: jts_cards
2+2=5 (X2)

Lulz.

Robot-Dancing-Man-Chappelles-Show.gif

Grantham: English: To talk a good game and to at first deliver.. then disappoint through confusion.

Similar adjectives: Munsoned. To be up 'shat creek' without a paddle.

Reactions: jts_cards
Again, I typically don't gravitate to extremes--the real world doesn't usually function that way.

Last year, TG was a dog. Last week, Sirmon was a dog and TG was killing it.

Now TG's getting pushed around by the nation's 85th best offense. (I was just adding to your point...)

But what can I conclude in all of that?...
  • TG has been good, but he may not be anymore.
  • Sirmon may not be any better or worse than TG.
  • Sirmon's too new to evaluate
Ask me these questions again at season's end which is as early as I'm willing to decide anything...

A Petrino coached team shouldn't be counting on defense to win games. To think otherwise is deflection.

Ridiculous comment. EVERY team depends on defense to win games since it's about 50% of the plays. Jeeze.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: CardinalJim
Just hoping our D improves quickly. NC State, BC, UVA and Cuse are not going to be as easy as we may have thought.

Grantham: English: To talk a good game and to at first deliver.. then disappoint through confusion.

Similar adjectives: Munsoned. To be up 'shat creek' without a paddle.
Wife: "You've been acting different lately, is something wrong?"

Husband: "Don't worry honey, everything is fine. I would never calipari you."

I think Louisville is in for a rough year. The defense, IMO, is really soft. They don't make physical tackles, they seem like they are catching players instead of going through them. They aren't very agressive in attacking the ball carriers. They will face some really good defenses in the upcoming games the defense is going to have to hold it's own.

This appears to be a transition year for Louisville especially on defense. They just don't have a much talent on defense. I am really surprised at the lack of depth across the board. When you miss on guys at Louisville in recruiting it shows in a hurry.

Bottom line the reason Grantham needed to go is he wasn't getting to done on the recruiting trail. It will be very difficult to evaluate Sirmon this year. I understand many will but I don't believe he has much to work with.

Bottom line the reason Grantham needed to go is he wasn't getting to done on the recruiting trail. It will be very difficult to evaluate Sirmon this year. I understand many will but I don't believe he has much to work with.
This is a cop out. Louisville has enough talent to be a top 20 defense. It’s what you do with the talent that you have. Does anyone think that this group would look / play the same if Strong was in charge of them? They are a little undersized but, there’s speed - use that to your advantage and attack. Sirmon isn’t using what he has effectively.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I am not sure what you see talent wise that leads you to believe this team has top 20 talent. You do realize they are having to play 3 true freshman and maybe another one if things don't get better at the safety opposite of Williams. You do realize they have no legit pass rusher? They haven't been able to generate any pass rush the last 2 years. They also went straight down hill when people got injured last year. They is little very little depth on the defensive side of the ball. You can talk all the schemes in the world but you have to have talent and depth. That shouldn't be the case in year 4 of any coach at this level.

Charlie didn't exactly light it up defensively at Texas.

I am not sure what you see talent wise that leads you to believe this team has top 20 talent. You do realize they are having to play 3 true freshman and maybe another one if things don't get better at the safety opposite of Williams. You do realize they have no legit pass rusher? They haven't been able to generate any pass rush the last 2 years. They also went straight down hill when people got injured last year. They is little very little depth on the defensive side of the ball.
Young, Hearns, and Greenard can rush the passer well enough to have success. I agree on all other accounts. Playing a lot of freshman is a bad sign and there is not much depth. FWIW Kent State made our defense look pretty good yesterday. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BPGhost
I think Louisville is in for a rough year. The defense, IMO, is really soft. They don't make physical tackles, they seem like they are catching players instead of going through them. They aren't very agressive in attacking the ball carriers. They will face some really good defenses in the upcoming games the defense is going to have to hold it's own.

This appears to be a transition year for Louisville especially on defense. They just don't have a much talent on defense. I am really surprised at the lack of depth across the board. When you miss on guys at Louisville in recruiting it shows in a hurry.

When you say they it means you are not us and are easily as biased against us as many of our fans are in our favor. I really think you don't know much about our defense or why there were problems the first 3 weeks.

The recruiting classes have been unbalanced for several reasons, but that had nothing to do with why Grantham had to go. It also had nothing to do with his coaching. Now, you go figure out what the other possibility is.

As to U of L's D, there is easily enough talent to field a competitive defense. They are not going be top 25, but they don't have to be. One last question, if we are going to face some really good defenses in upcoming games then why does our D have to hold its own? That is an issue for the offense. I certainly don't see any offensive juggernauts on the schedule. Further, I am really not sure which good defenses you are talking about because no one left on our schedule is that overpowering. There very well could be another loss or 2 on the schedule, but things are not as dire in Louisville as you wish them to be.

I am not sure what you see talent wise that leads you to believe this team has top 20 talent. You do realize they are having to play 3 true freshman and maybe another one if things don't get better at the safety opposite of Williams. You do realize they have no legit pass rusher? They haven't been able to generate any pass rush the last 2 years. They also went straight down hill when people got injured last year. They is little very little depth on the defensive side of the ball. You can talk all the schemes in the world but you have to have talent and depth. That shouldn't be the case in year 4 of any coach at this level.

At least two of the three freshmen that you’re talking about are four-star recruits and obviously they have the talent to get on the field. James Hearns and Trevon Young have been legit pass rushers their entire careers at Louisville. I will agree that quality depth on the defensive side of the ball is an issue - that is a byproduct of having a coach like petrino who only focuses on the offensive side of things. Everyone complained about the lack of depth on the offense of side of the ball when strong was here because he was a defensive coach.

The truth is, Louisville has always struggled to recruit quality depth and that situation is even more of an issue now that we are in the ACC where you have to have it to compete and win consistently.

I will say again, I am not trying to re-litigate whether or not Grantham should be here, I’m only saying that I don’t believe that Sirmon is the answer – coaching wise or recruiting wise. There’s nothing in his background to suggest that he would be able to get Louisville where we all want them to be.

Ridiculous comment. EVERY team depends on defense to win games since it's about 50% of the plays. Jeeze.

Yeah, I'm sure you were excited about how great our defense would be when Pertino was rehired.

Yeah, I'm sure you were excited about how great our defense would be when Pertino was rehired.

Whom was your choice? I thought he was the best coach available at the time AND actually giving him a second chance (at life) was a positive thing to do. His past "sins" were just that, in the past and if his family forgave him then why should we be any different. You know, "casting the first stone" and all of what that says. And, by the way, he did go out and hire who he thought was the best DC available and it just didn't work out.

It has been alluded to that Jurich had Pat Narduzzi (then DC at Michigan State, now coach at Pitt) was the next choice. I mean yeah they somehow beat Clemson last year, but *shudder.

Well your theory is off right there you state don't have a pass rusher you must not notice grenard he leads the acc in sacks find another point

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
I don't like our defense that much at all. Seems like teams can rush up the middle or throw slants across the middle against us all day long. It could be 3rd and long and with 1 run play up the middle give up 15 yards for a first down. I'm happy with our pass defense for the most part even though we've had db's get burnt a few times. It's the runs up the middle.

I know it's still early in the season to really tell if we will improve or not but I'm keeping my eyes on the Linebackers next few games. I understand that Jonathan Greenard is tied for 7th in NCAA in Tackles For Loss, but it's weird how the middle of the field on the slant routes and runs up the middle are always open and opponents exploit it. I felt like Kent State was wearing our defense down all game even though we only gave up 3 points. I feel if we would of played a better opponent like Clemson again, then the score would have been uglier.

We need improvement fast. The arm tackling when we do pick up the run or pass has got to stop.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT