ADVERTISEMENT

Since I don't read the CJ, did their sound financial analysis?...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...of athletics revenues include a credit for the tuition that is paid to the university for the student-athletes that attend? My back-of-the-envelope calculation is on the order of $15 million annually for 700 or so students. Almost none of whom, by the way, would be at U of L if not for athletics.

Before a naysayer wants to subtract off the costs for educating those students, you're gonna have to tell me the MARGINAL cost of doing so. For example, how many less professors would there be on staff? If the fixed costs are about the same, the marginal costs are zero. And I believe we're talking around 3% of the student body.

Sorry I have to ask these questions since I won't open the local newspaper or click on a link. (I WILL look at the pictures on the front page... :cool: )

Last edited:
...The question is not how much money but where it went. Adidas now says that their contracts are supposed to be to the University as a whole to spend as they wish ( of course they do). Everyone seems to be in shock about one coach getting 98 percent of the cash.(about 79 mill over ten years was cash, the rest was uniforms, equipment, etc.) Trouble with that is you would suppose someone signed off on it. No one is admitting that so far.

It wasn't a bad contract. It's questions about perks, who authorized those deals, where the paper trail leads.

I'm not going to argue that more transparency is/was needed. But that doesn't mean anything illicit was going on. I haven't read the first legit piece of evidence that U of L insiders were basically stealing money. (Naysayers please correct me...)

The adidas contract GOING FORWARD is about $80 million in cash over ten years. I'm not clear how much of that was earmarked for the basketball coach. The contract soon to be completed had far less cash, about $8 million over five years and all of it going to Pitino. There's no one to indict (yet) if those numbers are correct.

My point in the OP is that athletics funds its student-athletes to attend school, and most of that revenue is incremental to the university if athletics didn't exist. A proper analysis would take that into account, and I'm trying to find out if the CJ made such an allowance...

I heard this discussed the other day on a radio show, not sure who it was, but they were saying that the contract the basketball coach at UofL was getting 98% of was for like $1.4 million per year. And had nothing to do with the $160 million deal with the University.

Shoe deals with the coaches at other high profile P 5 Universities, including coach Calipayme at ky and Nike are not uncommon at all.

Reactions: zipp
I heard this discussed the other day on a radio show, not sure who it was, but they were saying that the contract the basketball coach at UofL was getting 98% of was for like $1.4 million per year. And had nothing to do with the $160 million deal with the University.

Shoe deals with the coaches at other high profile P 5 Universities, including coach Calipayme at ky and Nike are not uncommon at all.
That is also my understanding...

...of athletics revenues include a credit for the tuition that is paid to the university for the student-athletes that attend? My back-of-the-envelope calculation is on the order of $15 million annually for 700 or so students. Almost none of whom, by the way, would be at U of L if not for athletics.

Before a naysayer wants to subtract off the costs for educating those students, you're gonna have to tell me the MARGINAL cost of doing so. For example, how many less professors would there be on staff? If the fixed costs are about the same, the marginal costs are zero. And I believe we're talking around 3% of the student body.

Sorry I have to ask these questions since I won't open the local newspaper or click on a link. (I WILL look at the pictures on the front page... :cool: )
Geez - Who gets up at 4:43 AM on a Sunday morning to look at facebook and post on a message board? Somebody must have hit the Krib early Saturday night.

Geez - Who gets up at 4:43 AM on a Sunday morning to look at facebook and post on a message board? Somebody must have hit the Krib early Saturday night.
That's the substance of your best response?...

That's the substance of your best response?...
From USA TODAY: In 2015-2016, Louisville had net revenues of about $104.6 million against $109.4 million in expenses. In net income, it ranked 39th, trailing Alcorn State (38th), New Orleans (36th), Coppin State (33rd), and Mississippi Valley State (30th).

Reactions: blubo
From USA TODAY: In 2015-2016, Louisville had net revenues of about $104.6 million against $109.4 million in expenses. In net income, it ranked 39th, trailing Alcorn State (38th), New Orleans (36th), Coppin State (33rd), and Mississippi Valley State (30th).
Balanced budgets are best, but profit rankings for athletics are not the issue. No one undertakes college sports to bank profits.

It's about revenue, and how do revenues rank U of L athletics? Whether you make or lose a little money at the margin is irrelevant.

(And I ain't buying into that loss calculation anyway, without more info...)

Balanced budgets are best, but profit rankings for athletics are not the issue. No one undertakes college sports to bank profits.

It's about revenue, and how do revenues rank U of L athletics? Whether you make or lose a little money at the margin is irrelevant.

(And I ain't buying into that loss calculation anyway, without more info...)
Crawford wrote a good piece on Jurich. Along the way, he debunked some of the CJ's numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT