ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day

Dec 31, 2002
It looks like we got LOI's from everyone expected, except for T-Will's son?

I know we are still a long way from these guys making it to the field, but it feels like a rare win after so much bad news for our sports programs lately.

My hat's off to Satterfield for holding the class together.

It looks like we got LOI's from everyone expected, except for T-Will's son?

I know we are still a long way from these guys making it to the field, but it feels like a rare win after so much bad news for our sports programs lately.

My hat's off to Satterfield for holding the class together.
T-wills son is not academically eligible at this time

I am impressed with this class the coaching staff did a great job. I read the review on all the signees and all of them had multiple offers from other P 5 programs.

And geographically I like where this group is from. Talent rich areas as opposed to other not so talent rich.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: PHCARD and Mayoman
The class is ranked 25th nationally. There's no other way around it, that's solid!

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2021/all-teams/football

I was watching WDRB last night, and while talking about our class, they pointed out that no in-state talent signed. They then moved on to UK's class, and, of course, pointed out they signed 7 in-state players, and then ran a clip of Stoops praising how good the in-state has been the last few years, and that it's only getting better. So, this in-state/out of state brouhaha remains a thing. The staff will have to make gains in that regard, eventually. It's not a huge deal, IMO, but they'll need to squash it before it becomes a larger thing.

Reactions: LouisvilleMan1975
I was watching WDRB last night, and while talking about our class, they pointed out that no in-state talent signed. They then moved on to UK's class, and, of course, pointed out they signed 7 in-state players, and then ran a clip of Stoops praising how good the in-state has been the last few years, and that it's only getting better. So, this in-state/out of state brouhaha remains a thing. The staff will have to make gains in that regard, eventually. It's not a huge deal, IMO, but they'll need to squash it before it becomes a larger thing.

Looking at Rivals' ratings for Kentucky:

Only 1 4-star?

I know star ratings aren't the whole story, but based on Rivals evaluations, it's easier for me to listen to an argument that Satterfield had to go out of state to get the talent we need, rather than Stoops' spin.

Reactions: rh62531 and Mayoman
And geographically I like where this group is from. Talent rich areas as opposed to other not so talent rich.

GO CARDS!!!
I note there was no one from Jefferson County or Kentucky and all but one were 3 stars. In card Chronicle at the end of the report on the signings there is a reference to the CJ of the local players who weren't good enough for UL, yet 3 local players helped save the day against WF.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Where has signing multiple KY players gotten them in their history in the SEC? Mid pack to cellar dwellers. :oops: o_O ;)

You know the definition of insanity right? I looked in Webster's and it said 'UK football recruiting multiple players from the state of Ky.' ;)

I was not surprised and you should not be either.:rolleyes::cool::p

Reactions: gocds
Not as big as many about getting the in state talent. There's just not that many, so some get crazy when Mr Football signs at theOSU or Alabama. Kentucky usually has a top 10. Ohio has a top 30. Florida has a top 100. Just more kids playing football.

I like the classes at Ulf L AND Kentucky, but point out neither school found those hens teeth defensive tackles that anchor the lines....I think you guys loaded up with DEs, which COULD grow into tackles or maybe slide into linebackers.

Both schools got players across the position board. Cats are going to totally rebuild an offense...New line coach, OC...maybe more. Got Wolford from South Carolinafor the line, but follows a tough act to live up to. Coen as far as I know won't even be meeting players until after the Rams end the season.
Cardinals survived Satterfields dalliance and held a really good class together...likely end up about 30 as the big dogs pull in high ranking recruits till February.

Both schools did fine. We will have a better idea three years down when all these kids are red shirt sophs or true juniors.

The class is ranked 25th nationally. There's no other way around it, that's solid!

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2021/all-teams/football

Coming off of a 4-7 season I'm not goin to look for things to complain about in a 25th ranked class. I agree with you - focus on in-state kids later. Two weeks ago it looked like the wheels were completely coming off and the nice win over Wake plus this class is a blessing.

Reactions: Sawyer and PHCARD
We’ve discussed this hundreds of times (it seems), but three star players are not created equal.

I’ll take a player who has played against people his size and his speed. In other words, better competition.

Trinity HS is a perfect example. They DOMINATE in Kentucky, but How many THS kids go to P5 schools every year? This is not knocking THS but they, like us, can only play who they can play. They’re here.

Miami Northwestern has multiple. Every year. And they’re not the only one in FLA.

I’ll take a 3 star kid playing that competition every time. ESPECIALLY if that kid wants to be here more than a Ky kid.

Speaking to various points discussed above...

I don't look nearly as hard at class rankings as I do at star ratings. Our 2021 class is in line with our recent recruiting classes, no better or worse.

For those who care, the slapd!cks class is about the same quality. A 0.1 difference in average star rating is insignificant.

Wasn't failure to recruit locally one of the big arguments against Petrino? I'm trying to keep my fan narratives straight.

And entering Year 3, Satterfield needs to be getting close to having this program "rebuilt". I'm not sure where the fan optimism is coming from that next year will be a lot better, but that needs to happen for his own benefit...

Speaking to various points discussed above...

I don't look nearly as hard at class rankings as I do at star ratings. Our 2021 class is in line with our recent recruiting classes, no better or worse.

For those who care, the slapd!cks class is about the same quality. A 0.1 difference in average star rating is insignificant.

Wasn't failure to recruit locally one of the big arguments against Petrino? I'm trying to keep my fan narratives straight.

And entering Year 3, Satterfield needs to be getting close to having this program "rebuilt". I'm not sure where the fan optimism is coming from that next year will be a lot better, but that needs to happen for his own benefit...
Saying “entering year 3” sounds like a lot longer time than saying that this is his first full recruiting class. But they are both true. I’m not sure that one partial and one full class is a nearly complete rebuild. I don’t know why you are pessimistic other than your general Vince NQ hatred.

The “recruit locally” is not held by all.

Fla/GA/AL have 20 P5players for every one in KY. Maybe more.

More players = more competition = more development.

History shows that for every “great” local player we’ve had there have been many more from out of state.

Reactions: zipp
“Wasn't failure to recruit locally one of the big arguments against Petrino? I'm trying to keep my fan narratives straight.”

I remember Petrino missing out big-time when the city and state had an unusual number of P5 guys. Believe it was the year Rondale Moore was a senior. Also I remember local high school coaches going on record saying that Petrino hadnt attempted much at all to connect with them. Perhaps they had some axe to grind but you’ll have to take it up with them.

Saying “entering year 3” sounds like a lot longer time than saying that this is his first full recruiting class. But they are both true. I’m not sure that one partial and one full class is a nearly complete rebuild. I don’t know why you are pessimistic other than your general Vince NQ hatred.
At this point, K-rag and Cooper were both "entering year 3". My guess is you don't have a problem referring to them that way.

On a personal level, I like Satterfield. But unlike others here, I have no problem calling a spade a spade, and it's his own misfortune that he chose to work for an AD boob...

The “recruit locally” is not held by all.

Fla/GA/AL have 20 P5players for every one in KY. Maybe more.

More players = more competition = more development.

History shows that for every “great” local player we’ve had there have been many more from out of state.
It's never been a big issue with me either. You're going down regardless if you're not winning, and no one cares if you do.

I just try to keep the record straight for the people here who suffer from fanboy amnesia...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I don’t see how you can claim kids from Miami are better athletes than Trinity athletes because they play better competition. Trinity plays a national schedule against really good competition and beats them on a regular basis. The argument CSS wants players that fit his system is understandable but the linebacker from Trinity that signed with App St. is playing in the same system. I am not complaining about this years recruiting class, however, I am pointing out that our best teams had good players from Louisville along with a Florida kids.

The narrative on recruiting KY has always been lock down Jefferson County. Then get some from around the state. Petrino ignored Jefferson County and the state. He didn’t the 1st go around but choose to the 2nd time. Timing is everything. Jefferson County produce several players in that span. At least 5 4stars, Moore, Wagner, LB Ballard, Wright and others that all have been productive. This year was down so not a big deal. Next year is better there is a kid from Male they need to get. He is good in a position of need. If they fon’t

I like the walk on program he is building. It builds good will with the high school coaches. Way too many players get ranked on their size. There are good players that just need coaching and resources.

Let’s face it if UK and Louisville class rankings in their conference are in the middle to lower half that is where they will finish in the league most years. The data pretty much shows you that.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT