ADVERTISEMENT

Side Topic of overall sporting Attendance in Lousville

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
last nights St X - Trinity game made me think of the constant conversations here about filling the stands and how fickle our fan base can be. my argument has always been there are too many other things to do in this town that if you are not winning the stands won't be full and last nights game had me hearken back to the days where it was the 3rd largest game in the country, only behind a TX school where they get 60k every week and another midwest school. but the St X Trinity game was the 3rd largest game in the nation and now they barely get 20k, some years less, where it hit a high of 38k. it use dot be THE game in town and it always brought in the non alumni to games. now it doesn't. people have moved on. it's not just college sports it's all sports. it's all diluted so much with other options it's just too hard to fill the stands unless you're dominating. but here's an article from the CJ from four years talking about the decline.

I think the problem with the Trinity vs St. X game attendance has been Trinity started to dominate the series. The St. X side lost interest when they were losing all the time. Since St. X has won the last 2 meetings I am hoping for a renewed interest in the game.

I think the problem with the Trinity vs St. X game attendance has been Trinity started to dominate the series. The St. X side lost interest when they were losing all the time. Since St. X has won the last 2 meetings I am hoping for a renewed interest in the game.
i can see that. but it still was the place to be and it's not anymore.

High School sports in general have been declining for years; Trinity‘s strategic decision to schedule Nashville, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati schools serves as evidence of how limited Jefferson Co has become. Seneca had only 13 football players at the end of the 2021 season; yet in 1967 we beat Flaget for the State Championship.

Take a look at the final scores of the inter-county contests thus far this season and you will see just how much Jefferson Co has declined when compared to playing schools outside Louisville. We used to dominate, but that is changing rather rapidly despite the size and continued growth on Louisville.

St X, Trinity, Male, Manual and Ballard retain their tradition, but the rest of Jefferson Co are struggling in all sports.

same thinking applies to uk-ul game. why would any fans show up since it's been one-sided
High School sports in general have been declining for years; Trinity‘s strategic decision to schedule Nashville, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati schools serves as evidence of how limited Jefferson Co has become. Seneca had only 13 football players at the end of the 2021 season; yet in 1967 we beat Flaget for the State Championship.

Take a look at the final scores of the inter-county contests thus far this season and you will see just how much Jefferson Co has declined when compared to playing schools outside Louisville. We used to dominate, but that is changing rather rapidly despite the size and continued growth on Louisville.

St X, Trinity, Male, Manual and Ballard retain their tradition, but the rest of Jefferson Co are struggling in all sports.
i think the issue in HS has more to do when they added 5A and 6A so there were not enough schools to make it really work. trinity has no one to play in the state anymore except male, ballard, and st x. they have to travel everywhere jsut to play equal opponents. that's what really ruined HS at the top level. too few teams and thus no interest from the rest of the state.
and in college, so much realignment has eliminated natural rivalries. they talking 100 rivalries in football going away becasue fo conference realignment.

IDK what the take should be on this subject.

I do wonder if HS girls just don't care about going to meet boys at HS FB games anymore? Too many other ways to do that now vice the 60's 70's and 80's when it was the thing to do on Friday night and then to the teen sock hop dance after the game.

IDK if the cultural mores haven't tamped down on this avenue of social meeting of the opposite sex nowadays. Just a thought. What do you all observe there in Louisville now IRT to this?

Reactions: glassmanJ
IDK what the take should be on this subject.

I do wonder if HS girls just don't care about going to meet boys at HS FB games anymore? Too many other ways to do that now vice the 60's 70's and 80's when it was the thing to do on Friday night and then to the teen sock hop dance after the game.

IDK if the cultural mores haven't tamped down on this avenue of social meeting of the opposite sex nowadays. Just a thought. What do you all observe there in Louisville now IRT to this?
never thought of it that way but makes perfect sense. could even be applied to college. who needs to go out when you can tinder a date and be naked in a hour

• Haha
Reactions: Mayoman
Student enrollment at Trinity is 1200 and at St. X is 1300 that is a steady enrollment.
it was 1200 when i graduated from Trinity in 1987, basically 300 per class. i went to college with some kids whose graduating class had 1500, so about 6000 in the hs.

According to Niche report, St X attendance is 1,100. The issue about HS sports In Jefferson County is not about what the private schools are doing, or for that matter the Traditional Public schools …… as they continue to have the ability to hire competent coaches and recruit kids. The issue is the overall decline in Louisville, evidenced on how they no longer dominate those other Commonwealth schools as they did for so many decades. Schools like Butler, Eastern, Fern Creek, Seneca, Central, Doss, Valley were able to compete with one another and were not embarrassed when playing the private Catholic schools, or Male, Manual or Ballard.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
I searched the website for both Trinity and St. X and that was where I got my numbers on their attendance. The decline in Louisville like decline in other cities is based on who is running your city, who do people vote for. There are a lot of cities in the US that were once great cities but they went into decline because of their leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT